Alleged Honor Code Violation - need advice

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
liv3ly

Alleged Honor Code Violation - need advice

Postby liv3ly » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:48 pm

I got a letter from the dean at my school and they are charging me with cheating on an exam. Apparently, the ExamSoft report shows that I didn't log off properly, and then continued to type after the exam ended... for like an hour.

I didn't, but am getting NO help from ExamSoft or anyone at school. I don't know how I am going to defend myself at a tribunal and I could be kicked out of law school for something I didn't do.

Please give advice or let me know if you've ever heard of anything like this happening before.

MrKappus

Re: Alleged Honor Code Violation - need advice

Postby MrKappus » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:51 pm

Do you attend the Franz Kafka School of Law? How do they think you sat around and continued typing an hour after the exam was over? Talk to your school's IT people. My school's are really helpful and know a lot about ExamSoft.

Wall2Law

Postby Wall2Law » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:19 pm

That story seems complete BS.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:22 pm

That sucks. Was it a take home exam or something? I mean wouldn't it be easy to prove that you weren't in the test room for an extra hour?

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:29 pm

I'm sure there is a camera somewhere in that school that recorded you walking around at some point when you were supposedly typing. That's a start. I'd also try to remember what you did in the hour following the exam; did you talk to your mom on the phone for 25 mins? There is a record of that, and it makes it less likely that you sat there and typed for an additional hour. Etc...

If you really didn't do it, there should be something out there that makes it doubtful that you did.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:36 pm

MrKappus wrote:Do you attend the Franz Kafka School of Law? How do they think you sat around and continued typing an hour after the exam was over? Talk to your school's IT people. My school's are really helpful and know a lot about ExamSoft.

Haha nice Joseph K. drop. Appreciated here.

Brownadam26

Postby Brownadam26 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:48 pm

If they sent you a letter, it is serious. You must not panic when you talk to them because you're at the cusp of being thrown out very fast. I would cry.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”