Schools not worth the sticker price

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
scs0179
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:32 am

Schools not worth the sticker price

Postby scs0179 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:37 am

Here are some schools that I have applied to:

1. Southern Methodist University
2. Houston Law Center
3. Chicago Kent
4. Chicago Loyola
5. University of Florida
6. Benjamin N. Cardozo
7. Loyola Los Angeles
8. UC Davis

My question is: which of these schools, based on employment aspects and rankings, do you think are not worth attending without financial aid, and how much do you think would justify attending?

Thanks guys!

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: Schools not worth the sticker price

Postby Adjudicator » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:38 am

In before "none of them."

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18426
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Schools not worth the sticker price

Postby bk1 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:39 am

Adjudicator wrote:In before "none of them."

deadhipsters
Posts: 260
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:29 pm

Re: Schools not worth the sticker price

Postby deadhipsters » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:40 am

It would only be worth attending Florida, only if you are in-state. Unless they still give residency to students after their first year.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Schools not worth the sticker price

Postby stratocophic » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:42 am

deadhipsters wrote:It would only be worth attending Florida, only if you are in-state. Unless they still give residency to students after their first year.
CR /thread

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: Schools not worth the sticker price

Postby paratactical » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:44 am

stratocophic wrote:
deadhipsters wrote:It would only be worth attending Florida, only if you are in-state. Unless they still give residency to students after their first year.
CR /thread


Except for the part where you'd have to live in Florida where people kill babies over farmville.

scs0179
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:32 am

Re: Schools not worth the sticker price

Postby scs0179 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:46 am

I live in Dallas and I know SMU grads have amazing job prospects. Also, I could go to Houston for less than 25k a year and I know they have pretty good employment prospects too. Texas has jobs overall and so I'd be pretty confident to attend either Texas school full price (kinda not sure on 40k at smu though). I'm really not sure about the others...

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Schools not worth the sticker price

Postby stratocophic » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:48 am

paratactical wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
deadhipsters wrote:It would only be worth attending Florida, only if you are in-state. Unless they still give residency to students after their first year.
CR /thread


Except for the part where you'd have to live in Florida where people kill babies over farmville.
Fair point. fixt

deadhipsters
Posts: 260
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:29 pm

Re: Schools not worth the sticker price

Postby deadhipsters » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:55 am

And lets not forget about buring Korans and stealing elections. Ohhhhh, Florida. What will we do with you?

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Schools not worth the sticker price

Postby Aqualibrium » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:57 am

scs0179 wrote:I live in Dallas and I know SMU grads have amazing job prospects. Also, I could go to Houston for less than 25k a year and I know they have pretty good employment prospects too. Texas has jobs overall and so I'd be pretty confident to attend either Texas school full price (kinda not sure on 40k at smu though). I'm really not sure about the others...



You ask for advice then you disregard it?

The only one of those schools worth attending at sticker is Florida with in state tuition. You'd need at least half tuition at the others imo to make them worth the investment.

scs0179
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:32 am

Re: Schools not worth the sticker price

Postby scs0179 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:14 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
scs0179 wrote:I live in Dallas and I know SMU grads have amazing job prospects. Also, I could go to Houston for less than 25k a year and I know they have pretty good employment prospects too. Texas has jobs overall and so I'd be pretty confident to attend either Texas school full price (kinda not sure on 40k at smu though). I'm really not sure about the others...



You ask for advice then you disregard it?

The only one of those schools worth attending at sticker is Florida with in state tuition. You'd need at least half tuition at the others imo to make them worth the investment.


Why is Florida the only choice on the list worth attending full sticker price? UC Davis is higher ranked and the job prospects are a lot better in Texas than Florida. Is there something about the University of Florida that I dont know?

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: Schools not worth the sticker price

Postby paratactical » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:15 pm

scs0179 wrote:Is there something about the University of Florida that I dont know?


They offer instate tutition and they're only worth "full price" if you get that rate. Otherwise, you'd probably be better off earning income for 3 years than attentind law school.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18426
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Schools not worth the sticker price

Postby bk1 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:17 pm

Simply put, at sticker these schools are going to put you in 6 figure debt with very little chance of a 6 figure salary.

User avatar
thegovernor
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:00 am

Re: Schools not worth the sticker price

Postby thegovernor » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:19 pm

SMU is worth attending if you want to practice in or around Texas, money or not. You can get a great job in Dallas with an SMU Law degree. Plus Texas has one of the strongest economies in the US, thus, even more so.
Last edited by thegovernor on Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
thegovernor
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:00 am

Re: Schools not worth the sticker price

Postby thegovernor » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:20 pm

And I'm from Dallas, where SMU is located. Just for the record
Last edited by thegovernor on Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

2011Law
Posts: 822
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:40 pm

Re: Schools not worth the sticker price

Postby 2011Law » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:21 pm

paratactical wrote:
scs0179 wrote:Is there something about the University of Florida that I dont know?


They offer instate tutition and they're only worth "full price" if you get that rate. Otherwise, you'd probably be better off earning income for 3 years than attentind law school.


+1, from florida so UF is my final safety, since its 15 a year and prospects aren't too bad in the state (reason its my final fall back is b/c I don't want to spend the rest of my life in Florida).

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Schools not worth the sticker price

Postby Aqualibrium » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:22 pm

scs0179 wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
scs0179 wrote:I live in Dallas and I know SMU grads have amazing job prospects. Also, I could go to Houston for less than 25k a year and I know they have pretty good employment prospects too. Texas has jobs overall and so I'd be pretty confident to attend either Texas school full price (kinda not sure on 40k at smu though). I'm really not sure about the others...




You ask for advice then you disregard it?

The only one of those schools worth attending at sticker is Florida with in state tuition. You'd need at least half tuition at the others imo to make them worth the investment.


Why is Florida the only choice on the list worth attending full sticker price? UC Davis is higher ranked and the job prospects are a lot better in Texas than Florida. Is there something about the University of Florida that I dont know?





Again with the not listening!!!

UF has very cheap instate tuition. You aren't a resident though, so that doesn't matter.

The rankings dont matter. If you're outside the top 25% (perhaps top 15%) at any of the schools you listed you're going to have an uphill battle in the job market. It won't be impossible, but it will be very difficult. There is absolutely no reason to take on 100k in debt to attend any of those schools. That's not to say they are bad schools, it's just reality. If you're going to go, do not pay sticker.

What are your numbers?

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Schools not worth the sticker price

Postby Aqualibrium » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:23 pm

thegovernor wrote:SMU is worth attending if you want to practice in or around Texas, money or not. You can literally run shit in Dallas with an SMU Law degree. Plus Texas has the strongest economy in the US, so, even more so.



This is bad advice. SMU is not worth attending at sticker cost. Well, I shouldn't say that....SMU is an incredibly risky option at sticker.

scs0179
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:32 am

Re: Schools not worth the sticker price

Postby scs0179 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:25 pm

bk1 wrote:Simply put, at sticker these schools are going to put you in 6 figure debt with very little chance of a 6 figure salary.


Well, I'm getting the impression that I'm screwd. Such is life.

Despite, S.M.U and U.C Davis having average private sector starting salaries over 100k (at least, according to this website) I guess they still are bad investments. I better pray for financial aid. While I'm still not sure why Florida is worth attending at stricker price for residents and Houston isn't I'm going to assume it has something to do with better job prospects.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18426
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Schools not worth the sticker price

Postby bk1 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:26 pm

scs0179 wrote:Well, I'm getting the impression that I'm screwd. Such is life.

Despite, S.M.U and U.C Davis having average private sector starting salaries over 100k (at least, according to this website) I guess they still are bad investments. I better pray for financial aid. While I'm still not sure why Florida is worth attending at stricker price for residents and Houston isn't I'm going to assume it has something to do with better job prospects.


Look at this to see why the self reported employment statistics are bogus: http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/

Also, retake the LSAT so you can get those scholarships or go to better schools.

scs0179
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:32 am

Re: Schools not worth the sticker price

Postby scs0179 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:30 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
scs0179 wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
scs0179 wrote:I live in Dallas and I know SMU grads have amazing job prospects. Also, I could go to Houston for less than 25k a year and I know they have pretty good employment prospects too. Texas has jobs overall and so I'd be pretty confident to attend either Texas school full price (kinda not sure on 40k at smu though). I'm really not sure about the others...




You ask for advice then you disregard it?

The only one of those schools worth attending at sticker is Florida with in state tuition. You'd need at least half tuition at the others imo to make them worth the investment.


Why is Florida the only choice on the list worth attending full sticker price? UC Davis is higher ranked and the job prospects are a lot better in Texas than Florida. Is there something about the University of Florida that I dont know?





Again with the not listening!!!

UF has very cheap instate tuition. You aren't a resident though, so that doesn't matter.

The rankings dont matter. If you're outside the top 25% (perhaps top 15%) at any of the schools you listed you're going to have an uphill battle in the job market. It won't be impossible, but it will be very difficult. There is absolutely no reason to take on 100k in debt to attend any of those schools. That's not to say they are bad schools, it's just reality. If you're going to go, do not pay sticker.

What are your numbers?


I'm aware that they offer instate, tuition: that is obvious. Why that is so much better than say Houston which I could also get instate tuition is what I guess I'm asking. I have a 3.5 and I'm waiting on my LSAT but Im pretty sure its in the low to mid 160s.

thegovernor wrote:SMU is worth attending if you want to practice in or around Texas, money or not. You can literally run shit in Dallas with an SMU Law degree. Plus Texas has the strongest economy in the US, so, even more so.


I have noticed this too, as a Dallas resident. I realize that its expensive but the Dallas legal market is very closed to SMU and Austin graduates and I have been given the impression by lawyers that it was worth the sticker price, everybody seems to disagree with this though?

User avatar
thegovernor
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:00 am

Re: Schools not worth the sticker price

Postby thegovernor » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:32 pm

Bc they aren't Texan, they just...don't.. understand ;)

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18426
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Schools not worth the sticker price

Postby bk1 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:32 pm

If you get a sub-170 LSAT you should retake. Aim for the high 160's at bare minimum.

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: Schools not worth the sticker price

Postby paratactical » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:33 pm

scs0179 wrote:I have been given the impression by lawyers that it was worth the sticker price, everybody seems to disagree with this though?


Watch the age of the attorneys you get advice from. I thought I was getting great app advice from a partner I've worked closely with for a while and he though low 160s could get me into Harvard. Times have changed.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Schools not worth the sticker price

Postby Aqualibrium » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:35 pm

scs0179 wrote:
bk1 wrote:Simply put, at sticker these schools are going to put you in 6 figure debt with very little chance of a 6 figure salary.


Well, I'm getting the impression that I'm screwd. Such is life.

Despite, S.M.U and U.C Davis having average private sector starting salaries over 100k (at least, according to this website) I guess they still are bad investments. I better pray for financial aid. While I'm still not sure why Florida is worth attending at stricker price for residents and Houston isn't I'm going to assume it has something to do with better job prospects.



My main issue with U of H is the competition, and the fact that tuition and col over three years is still very likely to climb above the 100k mark. I suppose if you already live in Houston 21k a year for tuition isn't a bad deal though.

UF charges only 14k a year in tuition to residents, and is the best school in the state. That is what makes it worth it.

Like I said before, I'll stop short of calling any of those schools bad. They are good schools. I'll concede that U of H may not be a bad option for someone who is interested in working at Houston. I don't believe that you'd be doing yourself any favors by going to SMU at sticker though...
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest