Poll on library etiquette

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Eating Chips in the quite part of the library

1. Obnoxious!
59%
2. Dude, who cares its just chips!
41%

Total votes: 153

ResolutePear

Re: Poll on library etiquette

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:49 am

rad law wrote:Dip in the 'bary is TCR.

I put my hand up on your hip
when i dip you dip we dip
you put your hand up on my hip
when you dip i dip we dip
I put my hand up on your hip
when i dip you dip we dip
you put yours and i put mine
and we can dip down low and roll and grind

rdcws000

Postby rdcws000 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:54 am

You're all going to work in offices some day, doing important stuff that requires concentration...and guess what? IT'S NOT GOING TO BE DEAD SILENT. PEOPLE ARE GOING TO TALK, CHIPS ARE GOING TO BE EATEN, and PHONES ARE GOING TO RING.

Some of us already work in professional offices, where there are in fact policies and guidelines on what type of food may be stored/eaten in one's work area for the very purpose of protecting innocent co-workers from smells and sounds which are distracting and/or offensive. Also in these professional work environments companies implement these creative solutions called coffee bars, and breakrooms, where people can let the smell of their brats and sauerkraut waft around to their hearts content, because this is a designated eating area.

The professional work environment is not like the movies where everyone sits at their desk with their feet up eating chinese food, or munching on trail mix. Law school libraries (at least the floors explicitly designated SILENT) should not be either.

Or, even better, learn to tune out distractions and stop being an easily distracted 5 year-old

The sound of someone chewing, swallowing, cleaning their teeth with their tongue, etc. is far more than distracting. A random cell phone ring, or someone with a chronic cough, or faint music coming from across the room is distracting, but I can deal with those things. The amplified sound of the inner workings of one's mouth, throat, and digestive system in an otherwise silent environment is offensive. I like to eat something from time to time when I am studying all day, and I appreciate the opportunity to get up, stretch, walk out of the library, and chew freely in the lounge.

kopper

Postby kopper » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:10 am

it is obnoxious however i think i did this myself over the weekend although not chips but cheezits.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:33 am

rad law wrote:Dip in the 'bary is TCR.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/jaw-cancer-symptoms.html

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:36 am

rdcws000 wrote:
You're all going to work in offices some day, doing important stuff that requires concentration...and guess what? IT'S NOT GOING TO BE DEAD SILENT. PEOPLE ARE GOING TO TALK, CHIPS ARE GOING TO BE EATEN, and PHONES ARE GOING TO RING.

Some of us already work in professional offices, where there are in fact policies and guidelines on what type of food may be stored/eaten in one's work area for the very purpose of protecting innocent co-workers from smells and sounds which are distracting and/or offensive. Also in these professional work environments companies implement these creative solutions called coffee bars, and breakrooms, where people can let the smell of their brats and sauerkraut waft around to their hearts content, because this is a designated eating area.

The professional work environment is not like the movies where everyone sits at their desk with their feet up eating chinese food, or munching on trail mix. Law school libraries (at least the floors explicitly designated SILENT) should not be either.

Or, even better, learn to tune out distractions and stop being an easily distracted 5 year-old

The sound of someone chewing, swallowing, cleaning their teeth with their tongue, etc. is far more than distracting. A random cell phone ring, or someone with a chronic cough, or faint music coming from across the room is distracting, but I can deal with those things. The amplified sound of the inner workings of one's mouth, throat, and digestive system in an otherwise silent environment is offensive. I like to eat something from time to time when I am studying all day, and I appreciate the opportunity to get up, stretch, walk out of the library, and chew freely in the lounge.

LOLOLOL

I've never been inside a law firm that has guidelines about what you are or aren't allowed to eat at your desk. In fact, you're encouraged to eat whatever you want at your desk because then you aren't taking time away from your work.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:40 am

paratactical wrote:
rdcws000 wrote:

LOLOLOL

I've never been inside a law firm that has guidelines about what you are or aren't allowed to eat at your desk. In fact, you're encouraged to eat whatever you want at your desk because then you aren't taking time away from your work.

Yeah, I also know this to be false in some corporate settings. You can't ban food mainly for diabetic purposes... and of course, I encouraged people to take lunch at their desk because there are more chances than not they will still work - even at a reduced productivity.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:43 am

ResolutePear wrote:
Yeah, I also know this to be false in some corporate settings. You can't ban food mainly for diabetic purposes... and of course, I encouraged people to take lunch at their desk because there are more chances than not they will still work - even at a reduced productivity.

I've worked on cases where they provided food for us and we were all to work in a conference room and it was generally an enormous faux paus to leave the room, even if the lunch that day was Indian and you didn't like Indian and the smell made you feel sick. It's a tough noogies thing.

EDIT: In this same conference room, some of the attorneys would regularly blare pop music and if you couldn't focus with blaring Lady Gaga and Beyonce, that was just too damn bad.

rdcws000

Postby rdcws000 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:19 pm

I'll avoid the "my company is bigger/more professional/more representative of the real world" debate. I concede that there are companies which don't care if you stuff your face at your desk, and serenade your neighbors with the soothing sounds of chomping and swallowing. You'll just have to take my word for it that my company of 12 years is a major corporation and snacking/eating at one's personal workspace is discouraged. As for the diabetic concern, accomodations can and must be made to anyone with any special dietary need, but they don't get rid of all workspace regulations for everyone just because there is a disease in existence called diabetes.

And as for food in conference rooms, we do that too, in a worksession where silence or workplace etiquette is hardly expected or required.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:22 pm

rdcws000 wrote:I'll avoid the "my company is bigger/more professional/more representative of the real world" debate. I concede that there are companies which don't care if you stuff your face at your desk, and serenade your neighbors with the soothing sounds of chomping and swallowing. You'll just have to take my word for it that my company of 12 years is a major corporation and snacking/eating at one's personal workspace is discouraged. As for the diabetic concern, accomodations can and must be made to anyone with any special dietary need, but they don't get rid of all workspace regulations for everyone just because there is a disease in existence called diabetes.

And as for food in conference rooms, we do that too, in a worksession where silence or workplace etiquette is hardly expected or required.

This was a six week trial ramp up where we were working 6am-2am everyday, not some casual status meeting. I'm not arguing about generic big companies, I'm saying that it is almost universal for everyone (with the occasional exception of receptionists) at biglaw firms to eat at their desk, in their office or where ever else the work is being done.

I'm also saying that you sound like you're not very fun to work with/be around/know.

rdcws000

Postby rdcws000 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:43 pm

I'm also saying that you sound like you're not very fun to work with/be around/know.

Who, me? but i've been told I'm a real kick in the pants!

If you thinking I'm lame will keep you from chewing and swallowing in my ear, I'm good with that.

Like most threads though I got dragged into an alternate dimension, in this case one about office environments and eating. My original comment was that on the SILENT floor of the library I think it is considerate not to chomp down on chips.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:47 pm

rdcws000 wrote:

Who, me? but i've been told I'm a real kick in the pants!

If you thinking I'm lame will keep you from chewing and swallowing in my ear, I'm good with that.

Like most threads though I got dragged into an alternate dimension, in this case one about office environments and eating. My original comment was that on the SILENT floor of the library I think it is considerate not to chomp down on chips.

Yeah, to be fair, I'm pretty surprised they let food in a library at all.

bmontminy

Postby bmontminy » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:54 pm

Agree with others that it will be over in five minutes.

As someone who does this from time to time, does chewing slower make the noise louder or more quiet? I have always wondered the true answer, as how much noise you are actually making when eating something is impossible to discern by yourself.

rdcws000

Postby rdcws000 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:59 pm

bmontminy wrote:Agree with others that it will be over in five minutes.

As someone who does this from time to time, does chewing slower make the noise louder or more quiet? I have always wondered the true answer, as how much noise you are actually making when eating something is impossible to discern by yourself.

chewing slower doesn't change the volume, only prolongs the song.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:12 pm

Hey guys, can we create a poll for this?

Tearing pages out of books.
Legit or obnoxious?

bmontminy

Postby bmontminy » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:24 pm

Tanicius wrote:Hey guys, can we create a poll for this?

Legit or obnoxious?

This is entirely dependent on how loud the tearing is. The Library should be a quiet place.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:29 pm

Tanicius wrote:Hey guys, can we create a poll for this?

Legit or obnoxious?

Is this in the "quite" part of the library?

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:30 pm

You guys have no idea how happy it makes me when people understand my puns.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”