Poll on library etiquette

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Eating Chips in the quite part of the library

1. Obnoxious!
59%
2. Dude, who cares its just chips!
41%

Total votes: 153

thegor1987

Poll on library etiquette

Postby thegor1987 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:01 am

Starting a poll relating to a set of circumstances I am currently experiencing.

2011Law

Re: Poll on library etiquette

Postby 2011Law » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:10 am

Depends how loud the person is, how small the area of the library is, and flavor, as well as texture, of the chip itself.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:14 am

I also say it depends on the time of day. When I see people eating nacho Doritos at 7 in the morning it makes me want to throw up.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:19 am

Chewing with mouth open or closed?

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:17 am

noise cancelling headphones?

rdcws000

Postby rdcws000 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:58 am

HUGE pet peeve of mine.

I can't stand to hear people chewing, especially when I am on the "ultra quiet" floor of our library. It's disgusting. Can a person be that hungry that they can't sit and study for a 2-3 hour period without shoveling snacks in their mouth?

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:49 am

If you deliberately do something noisy in a place where quiet is necessary and expected, you're a bad person.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:10 am

The chewing would bother me less than the chip bag. If you're eating out of those new biodegradable Sunchips bags that make more noise than ANYTHING ELSE ON EARTH, you deserve to die.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:56 am

I'm the first one to get pissed off at library rudeness, but is this shit serious? As long as it's a single-serving bag and not a huge-ass bag of Doritos, who the fuck cares?? It'll be over in like 5 minutes. Go take a walk around the floor. Surf the web for ten minutes (which it looks like you did anyway, OP). Smoke a cigarette, read the news, or go find a friend to talk to.

Or, even better, learn to tune out distractions and stop being an easily distracted 5 year-old. You're all going to work in offices some day, doing important stuff that requires concentration...and guess what? IT'S NOT GOING TO BE DEAD SILENT. PEOPLE ARE GOING TO TALK, CHIPS ARE GOING TO BE EATEN, and PHONES ARE GOING TO RING. Unless you're going to be in-house counsel at a monastery, it's going to be a hell of a lot noisier than 5 minutes of chips. Suck it up.

I'm all for library etiquette, but this thread's ridiculous.

Edited for PC-ness.

You Gotta Have Faith

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:34 am

MrKappus wrote: Unless you're going to be in-house counsel at a monastery

:lol:

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:36 am

MrKappus wrote:I'm the first one to get pissed off at library rudeness, but is this shit serious? As long as it's a single-serving bag and not a huge-ass bag of Doritos, who the fuck cares?? It'll be over in like 5 minutes. Go take a walk around the floor. Surf the web for ten minutes (which it looks like you did anyway, OP). Smoke a cigarette, read the news, or go find a friend to talk to.

Or, even better, learn to tune out distractions and stop being an easily distracted 5 year-old. You're all going to work in offices some day, doing important stuff that requires concentration...and guess what? IT'S NOT GOING TO BE DEAD SILENT. PEOPLE ARE GOING TO TALK, CHIPS ARE GOING TO BE EATEN, and PHONES ARE GOING TO RING. Unless you're going to be in-house counsel at a monastery, it's going to be a hell of a lot noisier than 5 minutes of chips. Suck it up.

Edited for PC-ness.

To be fair, because libraries are dead silent, little noises tend to be magnified. It's a lot easier to concentrate in a place with a lot of background noise (an office, a coffee shop) than in a library with just one or two people making noise - the background noise is a lot easier to tone out. That being said, I am definitely guilty of the library food sneaking - I try my hardest to be as quiet as possible though.

ppa840

Postby ppa840 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:17 am

MrKappus wrote:I'm the first one to get pissed off at library rudeness, but is this shit serious? As long as it's a single-serving bag and not a huge-ass bag of Doritos, who the fuck cares?? It'll be over in like 5 minutes. Go take a walk around the floor. Surf the web for ten minutes (which it looks like you did anyway, OP). Smoke a cigarette, read the news, or go find a friend to talk to.

Edited for PC-ness.

+1

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:09 am

Well, I stand by my earlier comment. An office is not a library, and vice versa. It's not unreasonable to expect someone to not be crunching their chips around you.

Black-Blue

Postby Black-Blue » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:33 pm

FunkyJD wrote:If you deliberately do something noisy in a place where quiet is necessary and expected, you're a bad person.

What if you negligently do something noisy in a place where quiet is necessary and expected. Are you also a bad person?

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:44 pm

Black-Blue wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:If you deliberately do something noisy in a place where quiet is necessary and expected, you're a bad person.

What if you negligently do something noisy in a place where quiet is necessary and expected. Are you also a bad person?

FJD's "deliberate" language also leads me to believe that involuntary noise does not result in the "bad person" label. Maybe the original offender had a Doritos compulsion.

Black-Blue

Postby Black-Blue » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:26 pm

I think this would make a good hypo for a crim law exam. First, you analyze if the statute says that dorito eating in the library is a malum in se crime or if it requires a mens rea. Then, you figure out what was the mens rea of the dorito eater.

It would also make a good policy question for a contracts exam -- should a social contract to keep quiet in the library be enforceable?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:35 pm

Black-Blue wrote:I think this would make a good hypo for a crim law exam. First, you analyze if the statute says that dorito eating in the library is a malum in se crime or if it requires a mens rea. Then, you figure out what was the mens rea of the dorito eater.

It would also make a good policy question for a contracts exam -- should a social contract to keep quiet in the library be enforceable?

I think there's an implied easement because people have been doing it so long without opposition.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:36 pm

MrKappus wrote:As long as it's a single-serving bag and not a huge-ass bag of Doritos, who the fuck cares??

I was going to ask what size bag of chips we're talking about here. If it's a single serving bag, then it's not a big deal. If they pull out the full-size bag, then that's pretty bad form.

MrKappus wrote:Unless you're going to be in-house counsel at a monastery, it's going to be a hell of a lot noisier than 5 minutes of chips.

Any tips on how to get this kind of gig straight out of LS? Do you need a few years in biglaw before you can lateral?

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:50 pm

JazzOne wrote:
MrKappus wrote:As long as it's a single-serving bag and not a huge-ass bag of Doritos, who the fuck cares??

I was going to ask what size bag of chips we're talking about here. If it's a single serving bag, then it's not a big deal. If they pull out the full-size bag, then that's pretty bad form.

MrKappus wrote:Unless you're going to be in-house counsel at a monastery, it's going to be a hell of a lot noisier than 5 minutes of chips.

Any tips on how to get this kind of gig straight out of LS? Do you need a few years in biglaw before you can lateral?

A few years in biglaw's probably the most orthodox way. In-house jobs look for a trinity of features: legal experience, mgmt capability, and stability. But even a monastery in-house job can be stressful, so you'd want the biglaw background so you don't get crucified.

I'll avoid the obvious altar boy/biglaw jokes (both get you screwed!). I guess I didn't avoid it.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:57 pm

MrKappus wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

A few years in biglaw's probably the most orthodox way. In-house jobs look for a trinity of features: legal experience, mgmt capability, and stability. But even a monastery in-house job can be stressful, so you'd want the biglaw background so you don't get crucified.

I'll avoid the obvious altar boy/biglaw jokes (both get you screwed!). I guess I didn't avoid it.

I threw you a softball, but you really knocked it out of the park.

jgarber72

Postby jgarber72 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:27 pm

I even wonder why most students even go to the library. Meaning, I may see one percent (1%) actually looking in a law book. Everyone seems to just look through Westlaw or Lexis. If you want to eat while "studying", go to Starbucks or Barnes & Noble if you only plan on using online citation services. Does anyone even know how to research a case through books anymore?

omninode

Postby omninode » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:45 pm

If you have to be eating something every waking minute of your life, including at the library, choose something other than the loudest food ever invented. Potato chips are the worst.

canuck

Postby canuck » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:36 am

Eating anything loud or smelly in the library is deplorable. Take a 15 minute break and eat in an appropriate venue.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:42 am

jgarber72 wrote:I even wonder why most students even go to the library. Meaning, I may see one percent (1%) actually looking in a law book. Everyone seems to just look through Westlaw or Lexis. If you want to eat while "studying", go to Starbucks or Barnes & Noble if you only plan on using online citation services. Does anyone even know how to research a case through books anymore?

Think about this.

If I need to find cases that use... oh - let's say a narrowly tailored test. Am I going to sift through 30 books by hand or am I just going to run a search query?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:47 am

Dip in the 'bary is TCR.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”