Über-Prestigious Pepperdine 2L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Danteshek

Re: Pepperdine 1L Taking Questions

Postby Danteshek » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:18 am

lretter wrote:i was the division manager of the edgar department of a us sec licensed edgar filing and investor relations firm. Got the job at 18 and will probably "retire" once(if) i get into law school...

interesting. knowing a lot about sec filings could be useful. but you need to go to a good law school so people take you seriously. so you need to retake the lsat. unfortunately, in this process, work experience means diddly squat. if you can work for 6 years and manage people you can get a decent score on your lsat. if you object to retaking, either because you think you can't do any better, or because you are lazy, i would think you either lack education or drive. i guess you could have a severe learning disability, in which case law school is probably not for you.

DevilDawg

Postby DevilDawg » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:59 pm

Does the school you attended for UG matter in the admissions process? I applied a few days ago, have been in extensive contact with both staff and students at Pepperdine, and made a visit. My GPA was a 3.59 and LSAT was 163, so I SHOULD be ok... I guess you never know though and there are plenty of people who went to some no-name school somewhere (or a grade-inflated large school for that matter) where they got 3.7's and 3.8's... I went to an academically well respected state school in Washington for reference.

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:15 pm

DevilDawg wrote:Does the school you attended for UG matter in the admissions process? I applied a few days ago, have been in extensive contact with both staff and students at Pepperdine, and made a visit. My GPA was a 3.59 and LSAT was 163, so I SHOULD be ok... I guess you never know though and there are plenty of people who went to some no-name school somewhere (or a grade-inflated large school for that matter) where they got 3.7's and 3.8's... I went to an academically well respected state school in Washington for reference.

You're in, but probably at sticker.

DevilDawg

Postby DevilDawg » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:24 pm

Gatriel wrote:
DevilDawg wrote:Does the school you attended for UG matter in the admissions process? I applied a few days ago, have been in extensive contact with both staff and students at Pepperdine, and made a visit. My GPA was a 3.59 and LSAT was 163, so I SHOULD be ok... I guess you never know though and there are plenty of people who went to some no-name school somewhere (or a grade-inflated large school for that matter) where they got 3.7's and 3.8's... I went to an academically well respected state school in Washington for reference.

You're in, but probably at sticker.

Would it help my cause at all to be a disabled veteran? I'm looking for Scholi $$! I also got accepted to a fairly big name (top 30) MBA program that gave me roughly $40k in $$, even though it's not a law program could I leverage that IF I get into Pepperdine?

(thanks for the quick response btw)

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:31 pm

Only the top 7 mba program can be reasonably be considered "big name." Congrats nontheless

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:36 pm

DevilDawg wrote:

Would it help my cause at all to be a disabled veteran? I'm looking for Scholi $$! I also got accepted to a fairly big name (top 30) MBA program that gave me roughly $40k in $$, even though it's not a law program could I leverage that IF I get into Pepperdine?

You're welcome. You could definitely do that. I'd come to campus to visit, and while here talk to Dean Gash and Perrin.

Good luck bud!

Thanks for serving, btw.

DevilDawg

Postby DevilDawg » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:42 pm

Danteshek wrote:Only the top 7 mba program can be reasonably be considered "big name." Congrats nontheless

I don't think you were trying to be an A hole, nor do I want to get too far off topic here so I'll gently remind you that I called it "fairly" big name school.

DevilDawg

Postby DevilDawg » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:45 pm

Gatriel wrote:
DevilDawg wrote:

You're welcome. You could definitely do that. I'd come to campus to visit, and while here talk to Dean Gash and Perrin.

Good luck bud!

Thanks for serving, btw.

Don't mention it. Thanks for all the knowledge your dropping to all us laypeople out here. I will definitely take your advice and make another trip out there... any excuse is a good one to get out to the sun in Malibu and get away from the rain and gray here in the Pac NW.

lretter

Postby lretter » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:29 pm

Danteshek wrote:
lretter wrote:i was the division manager of the edgar department of a us sec licensed edgar filing and investor relations firm. Got the job at 18 and will probably "retire" once(if) i get into law school...

interesting. knowing a lot about sec filings could be useful. but you need to go to a good law school so people take you seriously. so you need to retake the lsat. unfortunately, in this process, work experience means diddly squat. if you can work for 6 years and manage people you can get a decent score on your lsat. if you object to retaking, either because you think you can't do any better, or because you are lazy, i would think you either lack education or drive. i guess you could have a severe learning disability, in which case law school is probably not for you.

well the reason i was against taking a break is because i'm not very keen on delaying the education process (i.e. my life). I had a ton of other $hit to worry about at the same time i was studying for the LSAT, so needless-to-say I did not give it as much attention as I should have. I've sent out applications and I guess I'll see where(if) I'm admitted somewhere. Otherwise, I'll just take the year off to work and study some more.

thanks for the honest responses, I appreciate it.

arhmcpo

Postby arhmcpo » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:27 am

DevilDawg wrote:
Gatriel wrote:
DevilDawg wrote:

Good luck bud!

Thanks for serving, btw.

Don't mention it. Thanks for all the knowledge your dropping to all us laypeople out here. I will definitely take your advice and make another trip out there... any excuse is a good one to get out to the sun in Malibu and get away from the rain and gray here in the Pac NW.

As a disabled veteran I would expect the administration here do something special for you; I would hope they would provide you with some scholly or financial support. Also law students just founded a military veterans student organization here that seems to get excellent support and has had some big name speakers come in.

lretter wrote:
Danteshek wrote:

well the reason i was against taking a break is because i'm not very keen on delaying the education process (i.e. my life). I had a ton of other $hit to worry about at the same time i was studying for the LSAT, so needless-to-say I did not give it as much attention as I should have. I've sent out applications and I guess I'll see where(if) I'm admitted somewhere. Otherwise, I'll just take the year off to work and study some more.

thanks for the honest responses, I appreciate it.

You owe it to yourself to take the test again, seriously studying with limited distractions. From what you've described it seems as though you could improve with more focused practice. And great work experience like yours is a nice bump if you've got strong stats to go with it

bigjinjapan

Postby bigjinjapan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:16 am

Kind of specific, but I wonder if you know anyone who lives in the Downtown/K-town area? Or at least if you've heard any complaints about it (distance, removed from social life, commute etc). Assuming I make it back to LA I'll definitely be living downtown and curious what sort of grief I might be in for with such a long commute.

arhmcpo

Postby arhmcpo » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:41 pm

bigjinjapan wrote:Kind of specific, but I wonder if you know anyone who lives in the Downtown/K-town area? Or at least if you've heard any complaints about it (distance, removed from social life, commute etc). Assuming I make it back to LA I'll definitely be living downtown and curious what sort of grief I might be in for with such a long commute.

Yikes. I worked in Koreatown over the summer, and think I drove to Pepp from there once or twice and that's a long drive; even assuming traffic not being very bad going west in the morning and east at night, that's still alot of mileage. Alot of People live in West LA and make the commute, I think its around 35-45 minutes for them typically. What would you do from Koreatown? South to the 10 west to PCH? That's a rough drive, although 10West isn't too bad traffic wise. but if it will save you a ton of money then I guess it could make sense. Just realize that during 1L you have classes Monday-Friday, so are you prepared to do that drive 10 times a week for 1 year....?

bigjinjapan

Postby bigjinjapan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:12 pm

arhmcpo wrote:
bigjinjapan wrote:Kind of specific, but I wonder if you know anyone who lives in the Downtown/K-town area? Or at least if you've heard any complaints about it (distance, removed from social life, commute etc). Assuming I make it back to LA I'll definitely be living downtown and curious what sort of grief I might be in for with such a long commute.

Yikes. I worked in Koreatown over the summer, and think I drove to Pepp from there once or twice and that's a long drive; even assuming traffic not being very bad going west in the morning and east at night, that's still alot of mileage. Alot of People live in West LA and make the commute, I think its around 35-45 minutes for them typically. What would you do from Koreatown? South to the 10 west to PCH? That's a rough drive, although 10West isn't too bad traffic wise. but if it will save you a ton of money then I guess it could make sense. Just realize that during 1L you have classes Monday-Friday, so are you prepared to do that drive 10 times a week for 1 year....?

I'd be right downtown, so it's 110S-->10W-->PCH Google maps lists it as 0:45-1:20 depending on traffic, which sounds about right. Just gonna have to be a little stoic, I guess: up early and home late. Should be used to that by now.

I know the commute sucks, but I also wonder what effect being so removed would have on social life and stuff. The scene downtown is pretty awesome though, maybe I could entice more people out east...?

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:18 pm

That could be a really tough commute man. Unless you are horribly attached to your place, maybe look in Santa Monica? It is a really legit place to live.

Good luck tho.

1ferret!

Postby 1ferret! » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:23 pm

The social scene tends to either be in Santa Monica or Hollywood. Nothing wrong with downtown I guess, but I gotta tell ya, I'm pretty sure you'll be lookin at the hour and twenty rather than the forty five unless its three in the morning.
Might be some benefit, if you get a summer gig downtown or after graduation your commute will be wonderful. Most kids can't afford it, even people attending Loyola seem to live seven miles or so out from the school primarily because of cost I gather.

arhmcpo

Postby arhmcpo » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:20 pm

bigjinjapan wrote:
arhmcpo wrote:

I'd be right downtown, so it's 110S-->10W-->PCH Google maps lists it as 0:45-1:20 depending on traffic, which sounds about right. Just gonna have to be a little stoic, I guess: up early and home late. Should be used to that by now.

I know the commute sucks, but I also wonder what effect being so removed would have on social life and stuff. The scene downtown is pretty awesome though, maybe I could entice more people out east...?

Yeah living downtown is great jobs-wise since a lot of internships are downtown. There is a bar review at the Glendon each semester so some of the social scene heads into westwood. I would get law school classes on tape if you can handle being an auditory learner; that way you don't have to feel like sitting in traffic was a complete waste of your time. Still though, I don't know that you'll be able to handle that commute for a whole semester...

LS-boundNYC

Postby LS-boundNYC » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:53 am

This has been an incredibly helpful thread - thanks Gatriel et al!

How's the atmosphere on campus with the announcement of the new dean? Are people excited?

And on a different note - any sense on how 1Ls are doing in a summer job search? There's been a good focus on 2L's and grads, but this question always interests me.

waiting7

Postby waiting7 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:29 pm

New to this site but was curious about some admissions info... 3.39 at a school with serious grade deflation/162... my app was complete mid January, what are the odds of admission? I know you already answered this but what are the advantages of Pepperdine/Loyola/USD? Pepperdine is my first choice but I got into Loyola with a good scholarship and I feel like USD and Pepperdine are very similar.

1ferret!

Postby 1ferret! » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:10 am

waiting7 wrote:New to this site but was curious about some admissions info... 3.39 at a school with serious grade deflation/162... my app was complete mid January, what are the odds of admission? I know you already answered this but what are the advantages of Pepperdine/Loyola/USD? Pepperdine is my first choice but I got into Loyola with a good scholarship and I feel like USD and Pepperdine are very similar.

Chances are fair if you are willing to ride the waitlist. I don't think you will be getting any cash given that your numbers are both below median, but if you like the school, you may have a shot. Congrats on Loyola. USD is kinda its own animal because there is no other serious school in the market, whereas Pepperdine and Loyola are both in a crowded LA market. Loyola/Pepperdine are more likely to carry you to San Diego if thats where you want to end up, but not as great the other way around.

1ferret!

Postby 1ferret! » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:23 am

LS-boundNYC wrote:This has been an incredibly helpful thread - thanks Gatriel et al!

How's the atmosphere on campus with the announcement of the new dean? Are people excited?

And on a different note - any sense on how 1Ls are doing in a summer job search? There's been a good focus on 2L's and grads, but this question always interests me.

I get the sense from the 1Ls who I have spoken to that they are doing pretty well. The focus of many 1Ls are judicial externships and public interest jobs, but some always manage to land at firms. Several people I know split their summers with both. The career fair for government work is coming up fairly soon and Pepperdine 1Ls always seem to snag some local DAs offices and various agencies. Pepperdine 1Ls do not ordinarily land a large number of SAs at large firms.

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:48 am

LS-boundNYC wrote:This has been an incredibly helpful thread - thanks Gatriel et al!

The atmosphere is optimistic. There was some hesitancy among some members of the student body at first because she is from "Fly over" zone, but it now appears she is exactly what the school needs at this moment. I look forward to she what she does with the school and its ranking.

The CDO will help 1Ls out to a limited extent. They of course are doing their best to get grads and 3L's real jobs, and 2Ls summer jobs, and 1Ls do get worked in there, but per ABA rules, they are not allowed to talk to us until November 1st. I got a paid firm job this summer, you have to do most of your own due diligence. The CDO is an excellent resource but not the end all.

waiting7 wrote:New to this site but was curious about some admissions info... 3.39 at a school with serious grade deflation/162... my app was complete mid January, what are the odds of admission? I know you already answered this but what are the advantages of Pepperdine/Loyola/USD? Pepperdine is my first choice but I got into Loyola with a good scholarship and I feel like USD and Pepperdine are very similar.

I would say get ready to ride the W/L. You have good numbers, and I know 1Ls in my current class that got in with both lower LSAT and GPA, so I know its possible. If you want to help your chances, set up an on campus visit, and shoot off a couple emails to the deans, and the AdComm chair while you visit the campus. Tell them Pepperdine is your first choice, and tell them if they admit you, you will definitely matriculate and its one less seat for them to worry about going to USC or UCLA.

USD and Pepperdine aesthetically are similar, both have beautiful campuses. I would assert that Pepperdine is substantially better in preparing graduates to pass the Cali Bar.

LS-boundNYC

Postby LS-boundNYC » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:06 pm

That's great to hear, Ferret and Gatriel. I assumed it would be a lot of legwork on each student's part, but it's encouraging to hear that jobs are to be had.

And I'm glad that people are excited about the new dean. My undergrad had so many top-level administration changes during my four years that I know how sour things can get. Part of me welcomes the excitement of being around during a person's first year, but I'm also slightly wary having seen the nasty side come out of it too. I'm getting more and more excited about Pepperdine!

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:43 am

LS-boundNYC wrote:That's great to hear, Ferret and Gatriel. I assumed it would be a lot of legwork on each student's part, but it's encouraging to hear that jobs are to be had.

And I'm glad that people are excited about the new dean. My undergrad had so many top-level administration changes during my four years that I know how sour things can get. Part of me welcomes the excitement of being around during a person's first year, but I'm also slightly wary having seen the nasty side come out of it too. I'm getting more and more excited about Pepperdine!

Well get pumped dude. The first year of law school will be, at this point the busiest time of your life. All the rumors are true. Its better to be in a place that is fracking gorgeous, and surrounded by genuinely good people than some place where they measure snow in feet and not inches and you get cured at for opening someone's door for them. Pepperdine is on the way up, no doubt. I hope you matriculate.

forps

Postby forps » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:39 am

Hi,

I saw many people getting conditional scholarship i.e. to be within 1/3 of the class or things like that.

How competitive is it among students to get within certain range of class rank? I know this is stupid question since it's law school and many people want to get well-paid job by getting good grades. But what I am really asking is the atmosphere of competitiveness among classmates while studying, attending lectures, and after class times.

Also, I saw that there were no intellectual property law program at Pepperdine. Will they create one in near future?

Thank you for your participation in advance.

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:00 pm

As you probably noted in your scholarship offer more than 1/3 or the class got a scholarship contingent upon being in the top 1/3 after the first year. Currently within the first year law class roughly half the class got 1/3 contingent scholarships. The class is obviously very competitive, but not malicious.

I'll answer the rest later. I'm on my phone right now.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”