Über-Prestigious Pepperdine 2L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Gatriel

Re: Pepperdine 1L Taking Questions

Postby Gatriel » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:12 am

From the rest of the post above, I know of no plans to start an IP program. We have a great ADR program, and the Palmer Center for Entrepreneurship, and the Nootbar Institute, with more on the way. What they will be and when I have no clue, but I am sure we have more coming down the pipe.

RaiderInBlue47

Postby RaiderInBlue47 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:40 am

How do the demographics of the school line up, location-wise? Do very many east coasters make the trip out there or is it mostly Best Coasters?

Do you know of any admissions/$$$ advantage to CoC members?

And since it's in the area and sounds like an interesting line of work, do you hear anything about the talent agent market for Pepperdine grads? (Heh, ironic question after seeing your avatar)

Malibu sounds fabulous and SoCal is God's gift to man.

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:54 am

RaiderInBlue47 wrote:How do the demographics of the school line up, location-wise? Do very many east coasters make the trip out there or is it mostly Best Coasters?

Do you know of any admissions/$$$ advantage to CoC members?

And since it's in the area and sounds like an interesting line of work, do you hear anything about the talent agent market for Pepperdine grads? (Heh, ironic question after seeing your avatar)

Malibu sounds fabulous and SoCal is God's gift to man.

I'd say the school is half west coast to half "other". Many southerners. Coc will get you $7k a year. Job prospects are as diverse as the student body however the school has a great ADR and Corp. Law programs as well as a entertainment and pi specialization.

doak35

Postby doak35 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:15 pm

Gatriel wrote:From the rest of the post above, I know of no plans to start an IP program. We have a great ADR program, and the Palmer Center for Entrepreneurship, and the Nootbar Institute, with more on the way. What they will be and when I have no clue, but I am sure we have more coming down the pipe.

I'm starting to consider Pepperdine more seriously (at first was leaning much more towards Loyola), but I'm still a little unsure of what the best programs at Pepperdine are - I'm predominantly interested in entertainment law, which I know there are some classes in, but from the materials I got from the school & from what I've read, I'm not really sure how good / thorough it is.

In your experience, what would you say are the best / most popular programs?

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:31 pm

The best program without a doubt is a dispute resolution program. USNWR ranks its #1 every year, ahead of Harvard.

The next program is the Palmer Center for Entrepreneurship and the Law. Janet Kerr, the professor that runs the program has connections everywhere, and is regarded as one of the best, if not the best professor on campus.

Pepperdine has developed a natural specialization in S&E law because of the professors it hires and its proximity to Hollywood. It is regarded as one of the better S&E programs in the country, even though it doesn't have a per se program.

I hope that helps.

arhmcpo

Postby arhmcpo » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:25 pm

Gatriel wrote:The best program without a doubt is a dispute resolution program. USNWR ranks its #1 every year, ahead of Harvard.

The next program is the Palmer Center for Entrepreneurship and the Law. Janet Kerr, the professor that runs the program has connections everywhere, and is regarded as one of the best, if not the best professor on campus.

Pepperdine has developed a natural specialization in S&E law because of the professors it hires and its proximity to Hollywood. It is regarded as one of the better S&E programs in the country, even though it doesn't have a per se program.

I hope that helps.

I agree - but I think if your interested in business - Palmer center courses have more practical value than dispute resolution despite its #1 ranking. Kerr is the biggest baller ever, she gets her classes subscriptions to the Wall Street Journal just to get them thinking about and understanding business. Seems like half the millionaire alumni from our school took classes from her and credit her, in some way, for contributing to their success.

hector311

Postby hector311 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:20 am

So I just found this post. Thanks for the service y'all, there is a lot of good info on here. I'm in the batch of admits with full scholly. It is pulling me from schools like George Washington. The only hesitation I really have is how much money they dish out...if I loose my scholarship I'm hosed. Oh well, it's up to me to keep it. I'll be on campus shortly to get a feel for the place. Does the school let potential students jump in on classes, hang out, meet with CDO and take a student tour? I can't make it to student admit days and happen to be tripping from AZ to the coast next week so pepperdine is one of my pit stops.

1ferret!

Postby 1ferret! » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:25 am

hector311 wrote:So I just found this post. Thanks for the service y'all, there is a lot of good info on here. I'm in the batch of admits with full scholly. It is pulling me from schools like George Washington. The only hesitation I really have is how much money they dish out...if I loose my scholarship I'm hosed. Oh well, it's up to me to keep it. I'll be on campus shortly to get a feel for the place. Does the school let potential students jump in on classes, hang out, meet with CDO and take a student tour? I can't make it to student admit days and happen to be tripping from AZ to the coast next week so pepperdine is one of my pit stops.

Potentials are able to take a guided tour if they like, and sit in on as many classes as you like. I think mostly they bring you into 1L classes but none of the professors mind someone sneaking in. You can talk to the CDO but might want to make an appointment ahead of time just to make sure they have to time when you are here. Next week is spring break, so no classes will be held. Some students will be here because the 1Ls will be working on their appellate briefs during the break (well, the dedicated ones anyway) so you won't really be seeing the school in full swing.

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:11 pm

hector311 wrote: Does the school let potential students jump in on classes, hang out, meet with CDO and take a student tour? I can't make it to student admit days and happen to be tripping from AZ to the coast next week so pepperdine is one of my pit stops.

Yes, it does. eMail Colleen Sackinger here Colleen.Sackinger@pepperdine.edu to set up an appointment. You can definitely sit in on classes, and take a tour of the school. Remember next week is our Spring Break, so if you come next week, other than some first years, very few people will be here.

Congrats on getting in with denaro. Pepperdine is a great school on the way up.

hector311

Postby hector311 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:35 pm

Thanks Gatriel and 1Ferret for the info ^^^^^. I wish I could come at another time outside of spring break...I may be able to.

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:48 pm

hector311 wrote:Thanks Gatriel and 1Ferret for the info ^^^^^. I wish I could come at another time outside of spring break...I may be able to.

Yeah, make the drive again. Take some of your buddies out on a weekend trip. Leave Friday stay in Palm Springs a couple days then come visit classes on some Monday.

I <3 Palm Springs. Stay at the Weston Mission Hills resort, though travelocity. I got it for $60 a night.

BushyPotter

Postby BushyPotter » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:33 am

what do you guys do for fun?
I'm also trying to figure out whether I want to go to a christian college or catholic college, I'm christian and would obviously feel more comfortable at a christian college, but I'm also considering Notre Dame, mostly because it is ranked higher than Pepperdine.
I want to practice law in CA, or at least right now I want to [don't know how I'll feel after I get to law school] so would it be better to go to pepperdine because it's in CA or go to Notre Dame and hope that since its ranked higher, I could possibly be interviewed by a CA firm and get hired in CA? [I looked it up and saw that a good number of CA law firms go to notre dame for OCI, but I could be wrong]
What do you like about pepperdine/malibu so far?

goingforgold2

Postby goingforgold2 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:07 pm

Hi! Just want to say this is a great forum and thanks to Gatriel and Ferret and everyone else who has taken questions.

I have already been to visit the school but wanted to get a current student's input. First, I am wondering what you guys think of the resources at the law school? I know looks aren't everything, but I noticed the school's facilities look like they are out of date. With all the emphasis put on having the cutting edge in academia, do you think you have access to everything you need to be successful in law school? For example, is the library well stocked with information, or do you find yourself looking elsewhere for the materials you need?

Second, I know it has already been noted that there's a great community feel among the law students. However, I am wondering how prone to cliques the students are and if everybody hangs out and studies together or if people mostly break off into groups.

arhmcpo

Postby arhmcpo » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:55 pm

BushyPotter wrote:what do you guys do for fun?
I'm also trying to figure out whether I want to go to a christian college or catholic college, I'm christian and would obviously feel more comfortable at a christian college, but I'm also considering Notre Dame, mostly because it is ranked higher than Pepperdine.
I want to practice law in CA, or at least right now I want to [don't know how I'll feel after I get to law school] so would it be better to go to pepperdine because it's in CA or go to Notre Dame and hope that since its ranked higher, I could possibly be interviewed by a CA firm and get hired in CA? [I looked it up and saw that a good number of CA law firms go to notre dame for OCI, but I could be wrong]

What's great about Pepperdine is probably the feeling of momentum and potential. The law school community really feels great and confident about the last few years and the years to come under the new dean. There's a feeling that anything is possible and that their isn't one part of the law school that can't be improved or isn't improving. The Malibu/LA area has great quality of life - the weather's perfect and there's endless things to do. Just be sure you understand the financial issues that going into paying for law school and high COL before you sign up for the 3 year gig. Most pepperdine people end up working in socal, though a decent number also go to norcal and texas. There is a concerted effort by the school to build a presence in DC through a satellite semester-long program that just started; and with the london and uganda programs you have the chance to work with international firms and learn about practicing abroad. In short, Pepperdine has a lot of great things going for it but its a complicated decision when your weighing them against traditional established schools like ND in other parts of the country.

arhmcpo

Postby arhmcpo » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:24 pm

goingforgold2 wrote:Hi! Just want to say this is a great forum and thanks to Gatriel and Ferret and everyone else who has taken questions.

I have already been to visit the school but wanted to get a current student's input. First, I am wondering what you guys think of the resources at the law school? I know looks aren't everything, but I noticed the school's facilities look like they are out of date. With all the emphasis put on having the cutting edge in academia, do you think you have access to everything you need to be successful in law school? For example, is the library well stocked with information, or do you find yourself looking elsewhere for the materials you need?

Second, I know it has already been noted that there's a great community feel among the law students. However, I am wondering how prone to cliques the students are and if everybody hangs out and studies together or if people mostly break off into groups.

(1) Yeah the law students have expressed our dissatisfaction with the facilities. The technology is up to date, there are plenty of books etc etc. The issue is more aesthetic, like you've said, we dislike that the facilities haven't been overhauled in decades and that the place isn't more stylish and modern. On the bright side, Dean Tacha in her opening address to the school listed overhauling the building as one of her 3 primary goals. Its more of a pet peeve for students than an actual disadvantage in terms of learning the law.

(2) After a few weeks you should be pretty comfortable with your section, i.e. know everybody's name and be comfortable enough to go up and talk to them etc. People tend to study in groups - not unlike undergrad projects - because its more efficient that way and plus - your graded on a bell-curve so you can't really work closely with a large group. There's a limited number of "A's" to go around so you can't exactly game-plan with half your section on how to ace the exam, ya know. Inevitably, you break into groups to study but things like Thursday night bar review, that involve everyone, help minimize the cliques.

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:46 pm

BushyPotter wrote:what do you guys do for fun?

I think the correct term is what cant you do for fun? LA is so diverse, almost everything is available within a few hours of the law school. You can identify a group of people going to Vegas almost every weekend. There is skiing just 3 hours away, and with all the great restaurants and night life in Santa Monica you will be hard pressed to ever say you "are bored." That being said, your first year is very, very busy. While this kinda stuff is all fantastic, don't expect to go surfing every morning (although I can think of 4 people off the top of my head that do).

If you want to practice in LA, then I'd go to an LA school, unless you are dead set on going to the absolute highest ranked school you can. I am a Christian, and Pepperdine is a great fit. As said on previous pages, 1/3 or so of the law school is religious while the other 2/3rds really is not.

Malibu is beautiful. It is geographically removed from many things, so if you live in Malibu, then don't expect frequent trips to Target. I love the weather in Malibu, and sleeping with my window open is absolutely fantastic!

goingforgold2 wrote:Hi! Just want to say this is a great forum and thanks to Gatriel and Ferret and everyone else who has taken questions.

Yeah, no problem dude.

While the building is definitely dated, it is going to get remodeled, and Tacha is intent on doing just that. I do not think that the buildings aesthetics detract from the learning of the law at all. Would it be great to day dream off into the Pacific during torts . . . of course, but does it hinder ones educational experience? Definitely not. Now, one thing to keep in mind. According to Tacha at her introduction to the law school, the building remodel will run $20M or so, money that is being spent of faculty at the moment. So, odds are one will see consistent minor aesthetic improvements (they are taking down all the burlap and painting the walls white, replaced the yellowed skylights with white ones, etc) don't expect major renovation to begin until Pepperdine gets $20M in the bank. The school traditionally doesn't want to remodel or build new buildings unless it is paid for in cash.

There are plenty of books in the library, not that you will ever use them, as WestLaw and Lexis make books (ALR, Fed Reporter, etc.) more or less a pissing contest between the law schools. Technology is up to date, kinda, the network does get bogged down during peak hours, but I guess this is to be expected. I have never looked elsewhere for information other than the above two databases and my BlueBook (you'll learn to hate this next year.)

Cliques do form, no doubt. The analogy that law school is like high school is woefully inaccurate; it is like middle school + people have sex now + alcohol + money + freedom, it can get quite entertaining at times. If you are a nice person, and don't talk crap you won't have a problem finding people to fit in with. While it is a family atmosphere, and everyone knows everyone, expect groups to form. Law school is not some homogenous society, rather just like in life there are differences in priorities, personality conflicts, differing value systems, etc. so people do split off into groups.

Hope that helps! Anyone coming to ASD?

LS-boundNYC

Postby LS-boundNYC » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:22 pm

I'll be at the ASD. Anyone else?

I for one am looking forward to a nice, long California weekend. New York's freezing weather is getting a bit old.

goingforgold2

Postby goingforgold2 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:18 am

Thanks to arhmcpo and Gatriel for great answers to my questions about the facilities, community and whatnot. From what you say, it sounds like improvements are coming/aren't terribly important to the overall experience, which seems legitimate. It says a lot to me that you have such positive things to say about the law school overall. Sounds like a great place to be!

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:58 am

LS-boundNYC wrote:I'll be at the ASD. Anyone else?

I for one am looking forward to a nice, long California weekend. New York's freezing weather is getting a bit old.

Cool man. I'll by up to my eyeballs in catching up in my other classes after the appellate brief, but my best friend from HS just got accepting into the 1L class for next year. Good guy. Anyways, have fun, enjoy Malibu, if you want some tips on good places to eat, lemme know and I'll post it up here.

goingforgold2 wrote:Thanks to arhmcpo and Gatriel for great answers to my questions about the facilities, community and whatnot. From what you say, it sounds like improvements are coming/aren't terribly important to the overall experience, which seems legitimate. It says a lot to me that you have such positive things to say about the law school overall. Sounds like a great place to be!

It is dude. You would love it.

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:47 am

Ok, so as ASD gets closer, I want to emphasize what a fantastic institution Pepperdine is. If you are on the fence about matriculating into Pepperdine, I really encourage you to come to Malibu to check it out. The fact of the matter is, law school is *probably* the most academically channeling time in your life. There will be many "ups" and just as many "downs." Choosing a law school is a huge decision, and directly effects your future for the foreseeably future. I just really want to impress upon all you 0L's how important it is to go to a place where you feel comfortable, accepted, and happy. Pepperdine is a great combination of the above, with a great academic experience. As I stated some 5 pages ago, please continue to ask questions, and I will do my best to answer them honestly, and completely.

I look forward to meeting some of y'all week after next (or so).

Also, lemme fill you all in on good places to eat in Malibu.

Malibu

--
Cafe Habana @ The Malibu Lumbar Yard --

Great Cuban food. If you are used to TexMex this is definitely a different spin on some flavors you would all be used to. Indoor and fantastic outdoor seating, especially a night.

~$15 a person
--
Howdy's Burritos @ Malibu Country Mart --

Great TexMax burritos. If you are familiar with Chipotle, very similar taste. Great food, outdoor seating only though. So if its nice go for it, if the weather is kind of dreary forget about it.

~ $10 a person.
--ImageRemoved--
--
Tra Di Noi @ Malibu Country Mart --

Fantastic Italian food. Great atmosphere, with both indoor and outdoor dining. I prefer eating outside as inside it is fairly cramped, but that is of course weather permitting.

~ $25 a person.
--ImageRemoved--
--
Nobu Malibu @ Malibu Country Mart --

Some of the best Sushi you will ever eat. Also, look out for celebs here. I personally have seen Kenny G and Bob Saget here, apparently Jeremy Piven frequents Nobu as well. This is a very pricy place.

~ 60 a person.
--ImageRemoved--
--
Zooma Sushi

If you don't want to sell a body appendage to eat at Nobu there is a very good place to eat if you're willing to drive a little. Zooma Sushi has comparable sushi to Nobu, however costs literally half of what Nobu does. They also have great Saki. Indoor and outdoor seating, but space is very limited. Make sure and call ahead to guarantee you have a spot.

~ 30 a person.
--ImageRemoved--

Getting there is a little tricky. When you are on PCH you must drive past the restaurant and U-Turn at Bonsell Drive, and then enter the parking lot here:

--
Malibu Seafood

Probably my favorite restaurant in Malibu. It is very close to campus, very inexpensive, and the food is absolutely excellent. All their seafood is very fresh, and you can see it in coolers as you walk it. It isn't the mystery meat you might encounter at Long John Silver's. The prices are cheap, and you definitely should try their lemonade. All seating is outside . . . kinda. There is no possible way to eat inside here, and you have to walk outside to sit down. They do have "indoor" seating, but it is in the back. If the weather is good, give this place a shot, if its raining. . . . I'd try something else.

~ $12 a person
--
Beach Comber @ Malibu Pier

A fantastic place to chill by the water, with really good food, and great service. Very diverse, and doesn't just specialize in Sea Food, but have lots to choose from. Very close to most of the hotels in Malibu. Their fish and chips are great for breakfast. Only downside is if you cannot grab a spot on the side of PCH, you have to pay to park. $10 for parking, and if you get your car within 3 hours they give you $6 back. Cash only for parking.

~ $20 a person
--ImageRemoved--
--
Malibu Inn

Directly across the street from the Beach Comber is Malibu Inn. I'm not sure if they are still closed for a remodel, but they have great breakfasts.

~ 15 a person.
--ImageRemoved--
--
Dukes

A staple of all Pepperdine Law students is Dukes. I cannot imagine life in Malibu without Dukes. Great fish tacos, great fish and chips, I cannot think of a single bad meal I have had there. They have daily specials at the Barefoot bar, both drink and food, so its always a fun time. Valet parking only that is $4, cash only, you cannot attach it to your ticket. There is parking along PCH, but get ready to walk a ways.

~ 15 a person
--

Okay, I think I covered for most of your meals. If you are staying in Agoura Hills, Thousand Oaks, Santa Monica PM me and I'll shoot you out some great places for foodies to chow down there.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:56 am

Hey Guys
I am going to the Pepperdine Law Review Symposium on April 1. My con law professor Robert Pushaw is visiting at Loyola this semester and will face off against Erwin Chemerinsky on the issue of whether Korematsu was the worst supreme court case ever decided. I am going with a friend of mine from Loyola of Los Angeles Law Review. Hope to see you there, Gatriel?
http://law.pepperdine.edu/news-events/e ... -mistakes/

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:01 am

Danteshek wrote:Hey Guys
I am going to the Pepperdine Law Review Symposium on April 1. My con law professor Robert Pushaw is visiting at Loyola this semester and will face off against Erwin Chemerinsky on the issue of whether Korematsu was the worst supreme court case ever decided. I am going with a friend of mine from Loyola of Los Angeles Law Review. Hope to see you there, Gatriel?

I'll definitely be there.

BTW - Do I know you?

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:52 am

Gatriel wrote:

I'll definitely be there.

BTW - Do I know you?

I don't know. Do you?

--LinkRemoved--

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:00 am

Nope, I do not. I suppose I'll meet ya there.

1ferret!

Postby 1ferret! » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:47 am

Taking bets on how long it takes uncle bob to steer the conversation into the commerce clause?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”