Über-Prestigious Pepperdine 2L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
mia137

New

Re: Pepperdine 1L Taking Questions

Post by mia137 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:08 am

Gatriel wrote:Ok, so as ASD gets closer, I want to emphasize what a fantastic institution Pepperdine is. If you are on the fence about matriculating into Pepperdine, I really encourage you to come to Malibu to check it out. The fact of the matter is, law school is *probably* the most academically channeling time in your life. There will be many "ups" and just as many "downs." Choosing a law school is a huge decision, and directly effects your future for the foreseeably future. I just really want to impress upon all you 0L's how important it is to go to a place where you feel comfortable, accepted, and happy. Pepperdine is a great combination of the above, with a great academic experience. As I stated some 5 pages ago, please continue to ask questions, and I will do my best to answer them honestly, and completely.

I look forward to meeting some of y'all week after next (or so).

Also, lemme fill you all in on good places to eat in Malibu.

Malibu

--
Cafe Habana @ The Malibu Lumbar Yard --

Great Cuban food. If you are used to TexMex this is definitely a different spin on some flavors you would all be used to. Indoor and fantastic outdoor seating, especially a night.

~$15 a person
--
Howdy's Burritos @ Malibu Country Mart --

Great TexMax burritos. If you are familiar with Chipotle, very similar taste. Great food, outdoor seating only though. So if its nice go for it, if the weather is kind of dreary forget about it.

~ $10 a person.
--ImageRemoved--
--
Tra Di Noi @ Malibu Country Mart --

Fantastic Italian food. Great atmosphere, with both indoor and outdoor dining. I prefer eating outside as inside it is fairly cramped, but that is of course weather permitting.

~ $25 a person.
--ImageRemoved--
--
Nobu Malibu @ Malibu Country Mart --

Some of the best Sushi you will ever eat. Also, look out for celebs here. I personally have seen Kenny G and Bob Saget here, apparently Jeremy Piven frequents Nobu as well. This is a very pricy place.

~ 60 a person.
--ImageRemoved--
--
Zooma Sushi

If you don't want to sell a body appendage to eat at Nobu there is a very good place to eat if you're willing to drive a little. Zooma Sushi has comparable sushi to Nobu, however costs literally half of what Nobu does. They also have great Saki. Indoor and outdoor seating, but space is very limited. Make sure and call ahead to guarantee you have a spot.

~ 30 a person.
--ImageRemoved--

Getting there is a little tricky. When you are on PCH you must drive past the restaurant and U-Turn at Bonsell Drive, and then enter the parking lot here:

--
Malibu Seafood

Probably my favorite restaurant in Malibu. It is very close to campus, very inexpensive, and the food is absolutely excellent. All their seafood is very fresh, and you can see it in coolers as you walk it. It isn't the mystery meat you might encounter at Long John Silver's. The prices are cheap, and you definitely should try their lemonade. All seating is outside . . . kinda. There is no possible way to eat inside here, and you have to walk outside to sit down. They do have "indoor" seating, but it is in the back. If the weather is good, give this place a shot, if its raining. . . . I'd try something else.

~ $12 a person
--
Beach Comber @ Malibu Pier

A fantastic place to chill by the water, with really good food, and great service. Very diverse, and doesn't just specialize in Sea Food, but have lots to choose from. Very close to most of the hotels in Malibu. Their fish and chips are great for breakfast. Only downside is if you cannot grab a spot on the side of PCH, you have to pay to park. $10 for parking, and if you get your car within 3 hours they give you $6 back. Cash only for parking.

~ $20 a person
--ImageRemoved--
--
Malibu Inn

Directly across the street from the Beach Comber is Malibu Inn. I'm not sure if they are still closed for a remodel, but they have great breakfasts.

~ 15 a person.
--ImageRemoved--
--
Dukes

A staple of all Pepperdine Law students is Dukes. I cannot imagine life in Malibu without Dukes. Great fish tacos, great fish and chips, I cannot think of a single bad meal I have had there. They have daily specials at the Barefoot bar, both drink and food, so its always a fun time. Valet parking only that is $4, cash only, you cannot attach it to your ticket. There is parking along PCH, but get ready to walk a ways.

~ 15 a person
--

Okay, I think I covered for most of your meals. If you are staying in Agoura Hills, Thousand Oaks, Santa Monica PM me and I'll shoot you out some great places for foodies to chow down there.
Ooh! You forgot Taverna Tony! Great high end greek food. Great atmosphere. Same shopping center as Nobu.

I eat out a lot and live in Topanga Canyon. I know a lot of (mostly mid to high end) restaurants in Topanga, Malibu (though I think Gatriel has that covered), Santa Monica, Pacific Palisades and some in the Valley. If anyone is interested, let me know.

Gatriel

Gold

Post by Gatriel » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:27 pm

Yeah, Taverna Tony is amazing, from what I hear. I have never eaten there, so I'd feel guilty recommending a place I haven't personally eaten at.

Oh, BTW- You wanna edit out that quote? Takes up a massive chunk of the page.

Gatriel

Gold

Post by Gatriel » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:14 pm

For those of you who have PM'ed me a few times is Malibu really is as pretty as everyone makes it out to be:

PCH ~ .75 of a mile away from Pepperdine heading towards LA

Entrance into Malibu Country Mart, about .75 mile away from Pepperdine

View from the student parking lot

While you should never base your law school decision on how pretty the campus is, I'll tell you it sure doesn't hurt.

LS-boundNYC

Bronze

Post by LS-boundNYC » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:52 pm

Does anyone know much about Pepperdine's loan assistance programs for people interested in public interest/government work? There are a couple of descriptions on the website, but it's not clear how much of the loan they help to pay, how competitive it is to get the grant, etc... I figure I'll ask next weekend at the visit day, but a student perspective would be helpful.

Gatriel

Gold

Post by Gatriel » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:31 pm

This is not something I am familiar with.

Next week when you are here run go into the 2nd office on the left when you enter the atrium. (Second floor 3rd room on the left from main entrance)

http://law.pepperdine.edu/academics/stu ... rplans.htm

Ask to speak with Erin Herrera and pose that question to her. I'm sure she will know the answer, and if she doesn't, she knows someone who does.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gatriel

Gold

Post by Gatriel » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:00 pm

I'm asking MODs to ban me so I can concentrate on finals. 1Ferrit and Aschempo this is all yours until mid-May.

arhmcpo

Bronze

Post by arhmcpo » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:55 pm

Gatriel wrote:I'm asking MODs to ban me so I can concentrate on finals. 1Ferrit and Aschempo this is all yours until mid-May.
Lolz try not to flunk out in your first year :lol:

1ferret!

Bronze

Post by 1ferret! » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:06 pm

arhmcpo wrote:
Gatriel wrote:I'm asking MODs to ban me so I can concentrate on finals. 1Ferrit and Aschempo this is all yours until mid-May.
Lolz try not to flunk out in your first year :lol:
srsly - cause then he'd never make it to the uber-prestigious Pepperdine 2L Taking Questions thread

uzpakalis

Bronze

Post by uzpakalis » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:34 pm

I have been to Malibu, it is very beautiful. How are the employment prospects shaping up?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LS-boundNYC

Bronze

Post by LS-boundNYC » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:27 pm

So ASD just ended. (I'm literally sitting outside right now waiting to meet a friend who goes here for undergrad). Not only was it a great program, it has pretty much confirmed that I will be attending in the Fall!

originalmutt

New

Post by originalmutt » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:12 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking to get a place in Santa Monica or Venice. If you're looking for a roommate please PM me. I'd like to get a big three to four bedroom apartment (more rooms = lower per person costs), preferably near the beach. I live in LA and would be happy to do the heavy lifting for the apartment search if you're out of town. I'm looking at an Aug. 1 move-in date.

FYI I have a dog.

goingforgold2

New

Post by goingforgold2 » Mon May 02, 2011 12:34 pm

Sorry if this has already been asked at some point in this thread. I'm just wondering if anyone knows anything about the Archstone or Malibu Canyon Apartments in Calabasas. Are either of these places popular among law students?

1ferret!

Bronze

Post by 1ferret! » Mon May 02, 2011 3:41 pm

goingforgold2 wrote:Sorry if this has already been asked at some point in this thread. I'm just wondering if anyone knows anything about the Archstone or Malibu Canyon Apartments in Calabasas. Are either of these places popular among law students?
Both are very popular. Archstone a touch more expensive and a touch closer to school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

originalmutt

New

Post by originalmutt » Mon May 02, 2011 4:03 pm

When are student loans typically dispersed? Beginning of August?

goingforgold2

New

Post by goingforgold2 » Thu May 05, 2011 1:02 pm

1ferret! wrote:
goingforgold2 wrote:Sorry if this has already been asked at some point in this thread. I'm just wondering if anyone knows anything about the Archstone or Malibu Canyon Apartments in Calabasas. Are either of these places popular among law students?
Both are very popular. Archstone a touch more expensive and a touch closer to school.
1ferret! wrote:
Just a follow up to this - I've heard that the Malibu Canyon road is reallly narrow. Would you say it is dangerous? Also, how often does it shut down and if it is shut down, are there reasonable alternative routes?

Looking into apartments outside of Malibu, I'm just wondering if it would be better to just live on campus. I know a bunch of you have said campus housing is not a good idea, but it seems like it would end up being a lot cheaper - $14,000 a year with utilities included and close to school. Living elsewhere, I feel like you'd have to be concerned about paying for utilities and gas, which would be expensive. Thoughts?

1ferret!

Bronze

Post by 1ferret! » Thu May 05, 2011 7:07 pm

Malibu Canyon is fine, my commute from Archstone is 10-15 min. There are alternate routes but I've never had to use them. They would add about 15 mins to the commute.
I don't hate on campus housing - it is what it is - and for a first year student who is spending most of their time studying, its fine. They are not set up for entertaining, but you can always go off campus for social functions.
I pay about 20k a year (full year) at Archstone (not including utilities). Doesn't leave a lot left over for fun, something to be considered.

originalmutt

New

Post by originalmutt » Thu May 05, 2011 7:21 pm

goingforgold2 wrote: Just a follow up to this - I've heard that the Malibu Canyon road is reallly narrow. Would you say it is dangerous? Also, how often does it shut down and if it is shut down, are there reasonable alternative routes?

Looking into apartments outside of Malibu, I'm just wondering if it would be better to just live on campus. I know a bunch of you have said campus housing is not a good idea, but it seems like it would end up being a lot cheaper - $14,000 a year with utilities included and close to school. Living elsewhere, I feel like you'd have to be concerned about paying for utilities and gas, which would be expensive. Thoughts?
If you have a roommate, it is substantially cheaper to live off campus. In fact, it's not even close. You can find rooms ranging from $650-$950 a month.

Remember, you can't have beer on campus and co-eds cannot spend the night in your room.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

originalmutt

New

Post by originalmutt » Sun May 08, 2011 8:04 pm

Attention apartment hunters:

I found a massive, 2,700-square-feet five bedroom, three bath house in Calabasas with a pool and jacuzzi, all new appliances, washer and dryer, new hardwood floors, fire place and two-car garage. I'm looking for four more people to go in on it with me. Rent varies by room size. A gardener and poolman is included with the rent.

The massive master bedroom with private bath would be $1,100 a month.
The next largest room is $925.
And the three normal sized bedrooms would be $650 each.

I will have some pics and measurements for the rooms later in the week. Message me if you're interested. Looking at an Aug. 1 move-in date. The address is 26006 Redbluff Drive in Calabasas. About a 15 minute drive to campus.

LS-boundNYC

Bronze

Post by LS-boundNYC » Thu May 12, 2011 2:46 pm

I've got a question for students who chose NOT to live on-campus. Can you estimate about how much you spend on gas a month, and about how far away you live from campus? I'm trying to weigh the various costs associated with living closer, living further, etc...

Thanks!

1ferret!

Bronze

Post by 1ferret! » Thu May 12, 2011 8:17 pm

LS-boundNYC wrote:I've got a question for students who chose NOT to live on-campus. Can you estimate about how much you spend on gas a month, and about how far away you live from campus? I'm trying to weigh the various costs associated with living closer, living further, etc...

Thanks!
Calabasas ~$65/month

bandits58

New

Post by bandits58 » Fri May 13, 2011 1:52 pm

What's a typical schedule for a 1L? Trying to figure out what kind of hours I'll be at class.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gatriel

Gold

Post by Gatriel » Sat May 21, 2011 9:47 pm

originalmutt wrote:Attention apartment hunters:

I found a massive, 2,700-square-feet five bedroom, three bath house in Calabasas with a pool and jacuzzi, all new appliances, washer and dryer, new hardwood floors, fire place and two-car garage. I'm looking for four more people to go in on it with me. Rent varies by room size. A gardener and poolman is included with the rent.

The massive master bedroom with private bath would be $1,100 a month.
The next largest room is $925.
And the three normal sized bedrooms would be $650 each.

I will have some pics and measurements for the rooms later in the week. Message me if you're interested. Looking at an Aug. 1 move-in date. The address is 26006 Redbluff Drive in Calabasas. About a 15 minute drive to campus.
Too bad it didn't work out man. That house is sick.

Gatriel

Gold

Re: Uber-Prestigious Pepperdine 2L Taking Questions

Post by Gatriel » Sat May 28, 2011 12:49 pm

I've gotten a couple PM's about people wanting to transfer into Pepperdine for their 2nd year. While there are many good schools to transfer into if you're coming form a TIII or TIV school, one thing that should make Pepperdine more appealing than other schools is the curve.

Its good if you miss the first year @ Pepperdine, and believe it or not, one will probably graduate above median, even though grades don't transfer. First year at Pepperdine 1Ls have a B 3.0 median, and it is this median used to curve the whole first year class, whereas for the 2nd and 3rd year the curve is a B+, 3.33. So while your GPA will be reset you will be starting off with a 3.33 as a median, whereas the 1Ls in the bottom ~ 2/3rds of the class will have less than a 3.33 GPA so automatically you will start off with a GPA advantage after fall semester grades post.

I'm no expert on the transfer process, so some of the other more sr. people on here might be able to give you better advice. Good luck with the transfers, Pepperdine is a great school and anyone considering a transfer up should definitely keep Pepperdine on the list.

bandits58

New

Post by bandits58 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:14 pm

What is a typical day like? I'm trying to figure out if living in Santa Monica is worth the 30 min drive each way.

1ferret!

Bronze

Post by 1ferret! » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:56 pm

alas, in LA a 30 min drive is normal

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”