10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby Unemployed » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:24 pm

PSA: For an accurate illustration of the Columbia experience, take these 10 reasons and multiply the severity by two (and diminish career prospects by varying degrees).

12262010
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:15 pm

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby 12262010 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:25 pm

Unemployed wrote:PSA: For an accurate illustration of the Columbia experience, take these 10 reasons and multiply the severity by two (and diminish career prospects by varying degrees).


:lol:

:cry:

rooster
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:34 am

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby rooster » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:25 pm

D-ROCCA wrote:
rooster wrote:
D-ROCCA wrote:This is the kind of post I'd imagine the person who holds the worst grades in his/her section to put on TLS.


Are you familiar with the notion of an ad hominem attack? Your remark embodies just the culture of viciousness that I am talking about. I hope that you don't go to HLS, but would not be surprised if you do. I should not even have to dignify this with a response, but I assure you that, whatever you may think about my suitability for the legal profession, my professors (at least in their anonymous grading capacity), as well as numerous firms, do not agree with you--despite my talk of a "culture of hierarchy." What exactly prevents someone who is good at law from talking about a "culture of hierarchy?" Two things have become clear from my experience at HLS: 1) I enjoy the law; 2) HLS fails as an educational institution.

I am trying to help 0Ls who face a choice like I did. Your baseless accusations are not useful to them, and don't affect me at all.


Alas, I am familiar with an ad hominem attack, and I'm not even in law school yet! Yes, I want to go to HLS, and I probably will. You have all the opportunity in the world at a great legal institution, and you came on TLS trying to make excuses for why you are unhappy with law school. Telling 0Ls not to go to Harvard because it is competitive and lacks proper printing facilities, among other things, is dumb. For the vast majority of people (ie people who don't get into Yale), if they get accepted at HLS, they should go.


While I admire a person with confidence, try not to get ahead of yourself.

But as to the real substance of what you are saying: If you peruse my post, you will find that I do not doubt the HLS helps one get a job, or generally provides "opportunity." But--and I realize this may be a radical view--I do think a law school should provide more than good branding. I think that it is a problem if a large percentage of students at a school feel intellectually disconnected from the school, and my experience at HLS suggests that a large percentage of students feel this way. In general, they did not come in intellectually alienated, and many end up doing quite well at law school and going on to prominent careers. Yet they hate their time at HLS. I think this is a problem. If you do not, then fine--go to HLS. But for 0Ls who want a law school that is more than a brand name, and that have other options similar to HLS, I would suggest that they carefully explore those other options.

I admit that my complaints about printing may seem trivial, and I would not care if the substantive education HLS provided was good. But it is not, and the printing and other bureaucratic issues are simply symptomatic of a deeper administrative disregard of students.

User avatar
D-ROCCA
Posts: 324
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 10:14 pm

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby D-ROCCA » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:36 pm

Fair. I'm not really interested in a legal education though, as many people say law school doesn't really prepare someone to be a lawyer. Therefore, I'm pretty much paying my $120k for the piece of paper that my degree is printed on. It's an expensive piece of paper, and other schools may provide benefits that make earning that piece of paper more tolerable, but in the end it's all about that piece of paper.

No doubt that the atmosphere of HLS is pretty harsh, but then again so is the atmosphere after law school, especially now.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby 09042014 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:37 pm

D-ROCCA wrote:DF

Harvard doesn't suck, I never said it did. I said it's stupid to say Harvard sucks, which is what OP said.
I post here, like you do (though not nearly as much), because I have nothing better to do.

Also, the butthurt comment was insensitive at best, homophobic at worst.
BTW my dreams are barely dirtied, I'm the guy who's going to be your boss in 10 years asshole.


LOL. What are your numbers son? Have you gotten your JR1 or whatever they call it. I have a feeling you may be enjoying NYU.

First of all girls can get fucked in the ass too.

And you do realize HLS just makes your chances of getting big law better. It doesn't mean you are going to be partner. You understand that right?

Also you are pretty much proving the OP right about the culture aspect.

User avatar
D-ROCCA
Posts: 324
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 10:14 pm

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby D-ROCCA » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:42 pm

The fact that you are saying "girls can get fucked in the ass too" exemplifies what I was saying. You're an asshole. You're right that going to HLS will not have much of a bearing on me making partner at a firm, I was simply stating "I'll be your boss in 10 years" to try and make it clear that I'm better than you. Or equivalently, that you suck.

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby paratactical » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:43 pm

D-ROCCA wrote:The fact that you are saying "girls can get fucked in the ass too" exemplifies what I was saying. You're an asshole. You're right that going to HLS will not have much of a bearing on me making partner at a firm, I was simply stating "I'll be your boss in 10 years" to try and make it clear that I'm better than you. Or equivalently, that you suck.


What's wrong with 5th base?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby 09042014 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:44 pm

D-ROCCA wrote:The fact that you are saying "girls can get fucked in the ass too" exemplifies what I was saying. You're an asshole. You're right that going to HLS will not have much of a bearing on me making partner at a firm, I was simply stating "I'll be your boss in 10 years" to try and make it clear that I'm better than you. Or equivalently, that you suck.


I didn't expect a douchebag to recognize his own douchbaggery. Have fun at NYU.

cubswin
Posts: 618
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby cubswin » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:47 pm

paratactical wrote:
D-ROCCA wrote:The fact that you are saying "girls can get fucked in the ass too" exemplifies what I was saying. You're an asshole. You're right that going to HLS will not have much of a bearing on me making partner at a firm, I was simply stating "I'll be your boss in 10 years" to try and make it clear that I'm better than you. Or equivalently, that you suck.


What's wrong with 5th base?


What a solid term.

12262010
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:15 pm

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby 12262010 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:47 pm

D-ROCCA wrote:The fact that you are saying "girls can get fucked in the ass too" exemplifies what I was saying. You're an asshole. You're right that going to HLS will not have much of a bearing on me making partner at a firm, I was simply stating "I'll be your boss in 10 years" to try and make it clear that I'm better than you. Or equivalently, that you suck.


He might suck, but you're not better than him.

User avatar
D-ROCCA
Posts: 324
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 10:14 pm

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby D-ROCCA » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:48 pm

Enjoy N'Western, below-median grades, soul-crushing debt, and a bleak future generally.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby IAFG » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:49 pm

Desert Fox wrote: I'm the guy who's going to be your boss in 10 years asshole.

the nature of legal career advancement makes this highly, highly unlikely

User avatar
D-ROCCA
Posts: 324
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 10:14 pm

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby D-ROCCA » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:50 pm

IAFG wrote:the nature of legal career advancement makes this highly, highly unlikely

for most people

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby JazzOne » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:51 pm

OP: You have proven your point. Thank you.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby IAFG » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:51 pm

D-ROCCA wrote:
IAFG wrote:the nature of legal career advancement makes this highly, highly unlikely

for most people

what on earth did this qualifier add to my statement?

User avatar
Deuce
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:12 am

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby Deuce » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:51 pm

Crappy printing? There goes my law school dreams...

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby 09042014 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:51 pm

D-ROCCA wrote:Enjoy N'Western, below-median grades, soul-crushing debt, and a bleak future generally.


Patent Prosecution FTW

User avatar
violinst
Posts: 230
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:23 pm

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby violinst » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:53 pm

Man I love Cornell.
Last edited by violinst on Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby IAFG » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:54 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
D-ROCCA wrote:Enjoy N'Western, below-median grades, soul-crushing debt, and a bleak future generally.


Patent Prosecution FTW

bet you $20 he's anxiously awaiting his 163 to be released on friday

User avatar
D-ROCCA
Posts: 324
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 10:14 pm

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby D-ROCCA » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:56 pm

You owe him $20.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby 09042014 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:00 pm

D-ROCCA wrote:You owe him $20.


I take it back. This guy has UChi written all over him.

User avatar
D-ROCCA
Posts: 324
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 10:14 pm

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby D-ROCCA » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:04 pm

Is there a reason why UChi and not HLS?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby 09042014 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:05 pm

D-ROCCA wrote:Is there a reason why UChi and not HLS?


Because you won't get into HLS, and the rigor of UChi will draw you in.

Anyone have that xoxo post about getting into UChi?

User avatar
D-ROCCA
Posts: 324
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 10:14 pm

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby D-ROCCA » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:07 pm

Will I not get in because my numbers aren't good enough, or will it be because I blow my PS and my recommendations are lousy?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby 09042014 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:07 pm

D-ROCCA wrote:Will I not get in because my numbers aren't good enough, or will it be because I blow my PS and my recommendations are lousy?


A little of A and B.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests