10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby rayiner » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:48 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
rayiner wrote:
rooster wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:#1 Reason.

It's not Yale.


Though my comments have focused so far on the negative aspects of HLS, the fact that HLS is not the preferred school of the above posternearly everyone who goes there is surely to be counted among HLS's great assetsmost lolzy qualities.


Please. People need to step back from this website and get a dose of reality. Harvard Law School is the dream for many applicants. A lot of people aren't even aware that Yale is "better". Only in sheltered world of TLS do people look at HLS students and think "Oh so you couldn't get into Yale". If people on here are honest with themselves, before they got involved with this website they probably viewed Harvard as the ultimate dream school.


Do you really think the people who can get into Harvard are naive enough not to know about the USNWR ranking?

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:54 pm

rayiner wrote:Do you really think the people who can get into Harvard are naive enough not to know about the USNWR ranking?


maybe he's suggesting that, prior to even viewing the law school rankings, the Harvard name (brand) was what mattered to them. it was a dream. doesnt mean it has to be the best. there are some friends of mine who love Tiffany & Co. jewelry...it is their dream to get that blue and white box for their engagement ring or whatever...they do realize T&Co is not the best jeweler out there.

but you get attached. i think it is arguable that, on some subjective level, the Harvard brand may trump Yale's.
Last edited by DoubleChecks on Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby JazzOne » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:54 pm

rooster wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:#1 Reason.

It's not Yale.


Though my comments have focused so far on the negative aspects of HLS, the fact that HLS is not the preferred school of the above poster is surely to be counted among HLS's great assets.

You, sir (or madame), are a grand douche extraordinaire.

Awwww, bitchy baby got butt hurt?

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby rayiner » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:01 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
rayiner wrote:Do you really think the people who can get into Harvard are naive enough not to know about the USNWR ranking?


maybe he's suggesting that, prior to even viewing the law school rankings, the Harvard name (brand) was what mattered to them. it was a dream. doesnt mean it has to be the best. there are some friends of mine who love Tiffany & Co. jewelry...it is there dream to get that blue and white box for their engagement ring or whatever...they do realize T&Co is not the best jeweler out there.

but you get attached. i think it is arguable that, on some subjective level, the Harvard brand may trump Yale's.


Keep telling yourself that.

rooster
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:34 am

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby rooster » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:03 pm

JazzOne wrote:
rooster wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:#1 Reason.

It's not Yale.


Though my comments have focused so far on the negative aspects of HLS, the fact that HLS is not the preferred school of the above poster is surely to be counted among HLS's great assets.

You, sir (or madame), are a grand douche extraordinaire.

Awwww, bitchy baby got butt hurt?


You nailed it. Though it seems strange that someone who is no doubt very committed to the idea that there is a "T15" would be so entranced with US News.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby JazzOne » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:05 pm

rooster wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
rooster wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:#1 Reason.

It's not Yale.


Though my comments have focused so far on the negative aspects of HLS, the fact that HLS is not the preferred school of the above poster is surely to be counted among HLS's great assets.

You, sir (or madame), are a grand douche extraordinaire.

Awwww, bitchy baby got butt hurt?


You nailed it. Though it seems strange that someone who is no doubt very committed to the idea that there is a "T15" would be so entranced with US News.

I don't give a fuck about US News or T15. I just think you're a whiney bitch.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:08 pm

rayiner wrote:Keep telling yourself that.


lol just being an advocate. sounds plausible to me.

rooster
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:34 am

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby rooster » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:08 pm

[/quote]
I don't give a fuck about US News or T15. I just think you're a whiney bitch.[/quote]

And so you express this belief by making comparisons between two law schools, neither of which you actually attend?

User avatar
Na_Swatch
Posts: 472
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby Na_Swatch » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:09 pm

Na_Swatch wrote:
rooster wrote:
Na_Swatch wrote:So anyways the OP seems more like a rant than anything else... in my opinion he makes some salient points and others just sound kind of bizarre... Anyways here's my take on things:
(Oh and everybody knows Coffee runs out in Pound very, very quickly... Lewis and Langdell have permanent free coffee supplies)


Unless you transferred in from some other school, I doubt anything that rests on comparison. It is hard to argue about perceptions of culture, but my crew of friends would definitely think that you have some rose-colored glasses on. Also, over the summer I worked at a place that had a very large number of HLS alums. Every single one of them hated it with a passion, and they were never so animated as when they were discussing exactly why they hated it.


hmm i'm curious, so do you have concrete examples of people/ events/ BSAs/ etc. that show the concealed viciousness you claim?

perhaps its also because i'm a generally laidback type of person, but I haven't really seen many examples of that at all.


Still waiting for an answer Rooster... genuinely curious about the question Above.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby JazzOne » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:13 pm

rooster wrote:And so you express this belief by making comparisons between two law schools, neither of which you actually attend?

God you're stupid. I haven't made a single comment about any school in this entire thread. Here's how forums work: You see those user names up there? Each of us has a different one. hth

rooster
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:34 am

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby rooster » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:24 pm

JazzOne wrote:
rooster wrote:And so you express this belief by making comparisons between two law schools, neither of which you actually attend?

God you're stupid. I haven't made a single comment about any school in this entire thread. Here's how forums work: You see those usernames up there? Each of us has a different one.


Anyone who reads your comment in its context--even someone not fluent in troll-speak--knows what you are implying. It would seem that your legal education is not cultivating critical reading skills.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby JazzOne » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:36 pm

rooster wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
rooster wrote:And so you express this belief by making comparisons between two law schools, neither of which you actually attend?

God you're stupid. I haven't made a single comment about any school in this entire thread. Here's how forums work: You see those usernames up there? Each of us has a different one.


Anyone who reads your comment in its context--even someone not fluent in troll-speak--knows what you are implying. It would seem that your legal education is not cultivating critical reading skills.

I was not "implying" anything. What I stated (rather directly) was that you got your feelings hurt because you're a whiney bitch. Is that clear enough for you now? I'm sure that's how everyone else interpreted it.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:38 pm

JazzOne wrote:
rooster wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
rooster wrote:And so you express this belief by making comparisons between two law schools, neither of which you actually attend?

God you're stupid. I haven't made a single comment about any school in this entire thread. Here's how forums work: You see those usernames up there? Each of us has a different one.


Anyone who reads your comment in its context--even someone not fluent in troll-speak--knows what you are implying. It would seem that your legal education is not cultivating critical reading skills.

I was not "implying" anything. What I stated (rather directly) was that you got your feelings hurt because you're a whiney bitch. Is that clear enough for you now? I'm sure that's how everyone else interpreted it.

+1

rooster
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:34 am

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby rooster » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:52 pm

JazzOne wrote:
rooster wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
rooster wrote:And so you express this belief by making comparisons between two law schools, neither of which you actually attend?

God you're stupid. I haven't made a single comment about any school in this entire thread. Here's how forums work: You see those usernames up there? Each of us has a different one.


Anyone who reads your comment in its context--even someone not fluent in troll-speak--knows what you are implying. It would seem that your legal education is not cultivating critical reading skills.

I was not "implying" anything. What I stated (rather directly) was that you got your feelings hurt because you're a whiney bitch. Is that clear enough for you now? I'm sure that's how everyone else interpreted it.


And what was the comment that supposedly hurt my feelings? Why would my feelings be hurt by the comment?

Listen: the point of my original posting was to offer advice to 0Ls who were considering attending HLS. If you want to contribute to this thread by weighing in about the efficacy of Texas's course registration software in comparison with MyPlan, then you should do so. But all I see is you piggybacking on the inane comments of someone else who is comparing two schools, neither of which s/he attends.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:54 pm

And what was the comment that supposedly hurt my feelings? Why would my feelings be hurt by the comment?

Listen: the point of my original posting was to offer advice to 0Ls who were considering attending HLS. If you want to contribute to this thread by weighing in about the efficacy of Texas's course registration software in comparison with MyPlan, then you should do so. But all I see is you piggybacking on the inane comments of someone else who is comparing two schools, neither of which s/he attends.


No one in their right minds would turn down HLS because the buildings are ugly.

User avatar
El_Gallo
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:23 am

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby El_Gallo » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:04 pm

Rooster-nice screen name. I personally appreciate your original post, it is very helpful. Thanks!

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby JazzOne » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:41 pm

rooster wrote:Why would my feelings be hurt by the comment?

Because you're a whiney bitch. I thought we established that already.

User avatar
invisiblesun
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby invisiblesun » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:09 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
rayiner wrote:Keep telling yourself that.


lol just being an advocate. sounds plausible to me.


Considering that Harvard gets about twice as many applications as Yale, I'm sure there are quite a few law school applicants whose first choice is Harvard and who have little desire to go to Yale. Rankings aren't everything- I know a few people who have picked H or S over Y (and TLS is abound with examples).

User avatar
Noval
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby Noval » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:18 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
bk1 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Just because the school is hard to get into and has fabulous job opportunities afterward doesn't mean the administration doesn't suck balls.


It also doesn't mean that's a reason you should not go to HLS.


True. But I'd go Stanford over Harvard. And I'd definitely take a fullride at t14, or half ride at T6 over HLS.


Too right mate, for me, the only University that i would go even though i had free rides any where else is Yale, but if it was HLS vs Any other T14 with or without Schollies, the choice wouldn't be hard as Harvard's reputation is slowly turning into shit as years pass.

Think about 20 years ago, HLS was considered the best of the best, now it's image is getting destroyed as seconds go down the drain.

User avatar
Noval
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby Noval » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:19 pm

invisiblesun wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
rayiner wrote:Keep telling yourself that.


lol just being an advocate. sounds plausible to me.


Considering that Harvard gets about twice as many applications as Yale, I'm sure there are quite a few law school applicants whose first choice is Harvard and who have little desire to go to Yale. Rankings aren't everything- I know a few people who have picked H or S over Y (and TLS is abound with examples).


Rankings aren't everything ? Wtf

User avatar
invisiblesun
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby invisiblesun » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:33 pm

Noval wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
bk1 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Just because the school is hard to get into and has fabulous job opportunities afterward doesn't mean the administration doesn't suck balls.


It also doesn't mean that's a reason you should not go to HLS.


True. But I'd go Stanford over Harvard. And I'd definitely take a fullride at t14, or half ride at T6 over HLS.


Too right mate, for me, the only University that i would go even though i had free rides any where else is Yale, but if it was HLS vs Any other T14 with or without Schollies, the choice wouldn't be hard as Harvard's reputation is slowly turning into shit as years pass.

Think about 20 years ago, HLS was considered the best of the best, now it's image is getting destroyed as seconds go down the drain.


Care to support your argument, or are you happy simply making unsubstantiated claims? You have any evidence that Harvard's reputation has significantly changed in the past 20 years?

foxtrottortxof
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:47 pm

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby foxtrottortxof » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:51 pm

As an HLS 1L, I either disagree with what this guy is complaining about or think he's making mountains out of molehills.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:07 pm

marthaminow wrote:As an HLS 1L, I either disagree with what this guy is complaining about or think he's making mountains out of molehills.


LOL are you in section 1?

foxtrottortxof
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:47 pm

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby foxtrottortxof » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:38 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
marthaminow wrote:As an HLS 1L, I either disagree with what this guy is complaining about or think he's making mountains out of molehills.


LOL are you in section 1?
Last edited by foxtrottortxof on Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

foxtrottortxof
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:47 pm

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Postby foxtrottortxof » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:43 pm

sergeantpzr wrote:Any HLS students want to share some good experiences about Harvard? 10 reasons to go? It would be much appreciated!
Last edited by foxtrottortxof on Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests