10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Nova

Platinum

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Go to HLS

Post by Nova » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:13 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:For once a good necro :clap:
+1

Entertaining

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:14 pm

i expect nothing less than scifiguy swooping into a necro and posing policy questions.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:53 am

My two cents on these complaints.

4, 5, 9, and 10 are pretty dated and no longer apply (the grading system is pretty fixed by now, the IT has been upgraded and works fine, the administration communicates quite well, and Wasserstein has solved most of the building problems).

3, 6, and 7 are probably true at all law schools and, to some extent, not as bad at HLS as at most other law schools (distressingly many law profs are probably not great teachers but I think HLS cares somewhat more about good teaching than a lot of the other top law schools who focus exclusively on research, OPIA/OCS know more than most career services offices and are far better connected, basically no one has meaningful choice of classes in the first year of law school).

1 and 8 have not really been my experience, though I've seen a little bit of 8 from time to time (viciousness no, hierarchy/status-seeking somewhat).

2 is a little bit true; Legal Research and Writing is a huge missed opportunity at HLS. However, LRW is a pretty small part of the overall law school experience.

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:40 pm

Excellent necro, I enjoyed this very much. Especially the xoxo UChi post.

Hating on Harvard gets me through the day. Carry on

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”