The University of Texas at Austin, School of Law

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
metaphobe
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:12 pm

Re: The University of Texas at Austin, School of Law

Postby metaphobe » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:02 pm

. .
Last edited by metaphobe on Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
shifty_eyed
Posts: 1934
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: The University of Texas at Austin, School of Law

Postby shifty_eyed » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:58 am

Not sure if this is the best place for this question (not necessarily UT Law specific, but something UT students might be familiar with?), and I figured it's the safest place for a 0L to post it LOL. :)

If someone has strong ties to Dallas or Houston (born and raised in city and attended SMU/UH/Rice), would it be a hard sell to get an offer from a firm in the other city?

User avatar
CyanIdes Of March
Posts: 741
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: The University of Texas at Austin, School of Law

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:20 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:Not sure if this is the best place for this question (not necessarily UT Law specific, but something UT students might be familiar with?), and I figured it's the safest place for a 0L to post it LOL. :)

If someone has strong ties to Dallas or Houston (born and raised in city and attended SMU/UH/Rice), would it be a hard sell to get an offer from a firm in the other city?


As in you go to UT Law and then get a job in Dallas or Houston? I'm an 0L well but I think UT commands a good portion of the legal market in Dallas and Houston.

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: The University of Texas at Austin, School of Law

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:23 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:Not sure if this is the best place for this question (not necessarily UT Law specific, but something UT students might be familiar with?), and I figured it's the safest place for a 0L to post it LOL. :)

If someone has strong ties to Dallas or Houston (born and raised in city and attended SMU/UH/Rice), would it be a hard sell to get an offer from a firm in the other city?


As a 1L, maybe. As a 2L, probably not.

User avatar
shifty_eyed
Posts: 1934
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: The University of Texas at Austin, School of Law

Postby shifty_eyed » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:02 am

CyanIdes Of March wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:Not sure if this is the best place for this question (not necessarily UT Law specific, but something UT students might be familiar with?), and I figured it's the safest place for a 0L to post it LOL. :)

If someone has strong ties to Dallas or Houston (born and raised in city and attended SMU/UH/Rice), would it be a hard sell to get an offer from a firm in the other city?


As in you go to UT Law and then get a job in Dallas or Houston? I'm an 0L well but I think UT commands a good portion of the legal market in Dallas and Houston.


Yeah, get a job in Dallas with only ties to Houston or vice versa.
nonprofit-prophet wrote:As a 1L, maybe. As a 2L, probably not.


Thanks! I imagine getting a summer job as a 1L is hard regardless lol.

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: The University of Texas at Austin, School of Law

Postby de5igual » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:56 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:
CyanIdes Of March wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:Not sure if this is the best place for this question (not necessarily UT Law specific, but something UT students might be familiar with?), and I figured it's the safest place for a 0L to post it LOL. :)

If someone has strong ties to Dallas or Houston (born and raised in city and attended SMU/UH/Rice), would it be a hard sell to get an offer from a firm in the other city?


As in you go to UT Law and then get a job in Dallas or Houston? I'm an 0L well but I think UT commands a good portion of the legal market in Dallas and Houston.


Yeah, get a job in Dallas with only ties to Houston or vice versa.
nonprofit-prophet wrote:As a 1L, maybe. As a 2L, probably not.


Thanks! I imagine getting a summer job as a 1L is hard regardless lol.


anecdotally, it's harder for someone from Houston to get a job in Dallas than the reverse. The Dallas legal market is much smaller than the Houston one and tends to be a lot more parochial.

User avatar
Rawlberto
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:43 pm

Re: The University of Texas at Austin, School of Law

Postby Rawlberto » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:57 am

f0bolous wrote:
scaredofdebt wrote:I am deciding between cornell sticker and UT 20k scholarship with out of state tuition.

i am from NYC though would be open to working in texas after school, however, i am worried about my complete and utter lack of ties prohibiting this from being possible. where would a yanke with no ties whatsoever need to land in his or her class in order to overcome a complete lack of ties and land a biglaw job in texas.


Your grades would have to be better than a comparable TX native in getting a Texas gig. If you for sure want TX biglaw, one way to overcome ties is to work in-state over your 1L year and join some organization with a decidedly Texas flavor (e.g., Oil & Gas society).

PM if you have any questions. FYI, I'm out of state, not LR, landed TX biglaw, and was sort of in your shoes 2 years ago.


Sorry to jump on this old post, but I am UT Student. I am out of state, no ties to TX, was wondering if you could impart some wisdom.

lookingin
Posts: 138
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:57 am

Re: The University of Texas at Austin, School of Law

Postby lookingin » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:00 am

I've got a question -- do most students end up getting in-state tuition after the 1L? At this beginning of this thread, they were talking about residency issues, but that was back in 2008 or so. I just wanted to get more recent input :) Thanks!

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: The University of Texas at Austin, School of Law

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:36 pm

lookingin wrote:I've got a question -- do most students end up getting in-state tuition after the 1L? At this beginning of this thread, they were talking about residency issues, but that was back in 2008 or so. I just wanted to get more recent input :) Thanks!


Not anymore.

lookingin
Posts: 138
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:57 am

Re: The University of Texas at Austin, School of Law

Postby lookingin » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:04 pm

:( That's too bad. Is it next to impossible to get qualified for in-state residency now?

User avatar
shifty_eyed
Posts: 1934
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: The University of Texas at Austin, School of Law

Postby shifty_eyed » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:08 pm

lookingin wrote::( That's too bad. Is it next to impossible to get qualified for in-state residency now?

According to their website you have to have established a domicile in Texas for at least a year prior to matriculating.
(disclosure: 0L here)

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: The University of Texas at Austin, School of Law

Postby de5igual » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:32 pm

Rawlberto wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
scaredofdebt wrote:I am deciding between cornell sticker and UT 20k scholarship with out of state tuition.

i am from NYC though would be open to working in texas after school, however, i am worried about my complete and utter lack of ties prohibiting this from being possible. where would a yanke with no ties whatsoever need to land in his or her class in order to overcome a complete lack of ties and land a biglaw job in texas.


Your grades would have to be better than a comparable TX native in getting a Texas gig. If you for sure want TX biglaw, one way to overcome ties is to work in-state over your 1L year and join some organization with a decidedly Texas flavor (e.g., Oil & Gas society).

PM if you have any questions. FYI, I'm out of state, not LR, landed TX biglaw, and was sort of in your shoes 2 years ago.


Sorry to jump on this old post, but I am UT Student. I am out of state, no ties to TX, was wondering if you could impart some wisdom.


sure...what do you want to know?

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: The University of Texas at Austin, School of Law

Postby de5igual » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:34 pm

lookingin wrote::( That's too bad. Is it next to impossible to get qualified for in-state residency now?


you still can, but they closed the property loophole that allowed you to buy any land in texas. now, in order to qualify under that scheme, you have to reside at the property you purchased for 1 year. problem (at least for many/most students), though, is that buying a condo in austin isn't exactly cheap.

ksllaw
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:17 pm

Re: The University of Texas at Austin, School of Law

Postby ksllaw » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:06 am

Hello,

I am curious about the cost of living for attending UT-Austin?

And what are the demographics of the student body like there? Thanks very much!

User avatar
PrincetonLaw
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: The University of Texas at Austin, School of Law

Postby PrincetonLaw » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:43 pm

1L thinking about taking Core Readings in Public Law w/Perry. Anybody have any suggestions or comments about either the course or prof?

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: The University of Texas at Austin, School of Law

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:58 pm

PrincetonLaw wrote:1L thinking about taking Core Readings in Public Law w/Perry. Anybody have any suggestions or comments about either the course or prof?


I don't have much to say about the course or the prof, but my advice before deciding to take a class is to always 1) check the past grade distributions for that class and 2) check the teaching evaluations for the professors.

User avatar
PrincetonLaw
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: The University of Texas at Austin, School of Law

Postby PrincetonLaw » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:10 pm

Anyone have any tips on Forbath (con law), Woolley (civ pro) or Blais (property). Is there a preferred supplement or anything any 2 or 3Ls can recommend?

helpplease
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: The University of Texas at Austin, School of Law

Postby helpplease » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:44 pm

UH full ride vs UT sticker/low scholarship. Any current UT students who've made this decision? I need input from people with similar situations. Thank you!!

User avatar
eaper
Posts: 663
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:31 pm

Re: The University of Texas at Austin, School of Law

Postby eaper » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:38 pm

helpplease wrote:UH full ride vs UT sticker/low scholarship. Any current UT students who've made this decision? I need input from people with similar situations. Thank you!!


Have you tried leveraging scholarships? UT usually won't do much for lower ranked schools, but it is odd that you got a full ride from UH and little or nothing from UT. I got a decent amount from UT and still didn't get a full ride from UH. Also, undergrad debt? Do you want to do PI or something like that? IP?

saulgoodman86
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:28 pm

Re: The University of Texas at Austin, School of Law

Postby saulgoodman86 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:51 pm

Anyone have Justin Driver for con law and have any advice? He's a visiting prof at my school this semester. Thanks!

User avatar
contrapositive1
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:06 am

Re: The University of Texas at Austin, School of Law

Postby contrapositive1 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:48 pm

UT has a great rep

AveryTolar
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:41 am

Re: The University of Texas at Austin, School of Law

Postby AveryTolar » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:50 pm

This is an odd question but I can't think of a better place to ask it, I was wondering how the Review of Law and Politics is viewed as a secondary journal? Is it viewed as a respectable academic publication or the Fox News of UT journals? How would it be viewed by a prospective employer?

User avatar
zombie mcavoy
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:11 pm

Re: The University of Texas at Austin, School of Law

Postby zombie mcavoy » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:59 pm

fox news

User avatar
BVest
Posts: 5483
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: The University of Texas at Austin, School of Law

Postby BVest » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:25 pm

"The Unfettered Pursuit of Conservative Legal Scholarship"

AveryTolar
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:41 am

Re: The University of Texas at Austin, School of Law

Postby AveryTolar » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:29 pm

zombie mcavoy wrote:fox news

Read through some past issues and yeah, the comparison holds up.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: OutOfTheQuestion and 3 guests