The University of Texas at Austin, School of Law

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
thriftydig

Re: The University of Texas at Austin, School of Law

Postby thriftydig » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:22 pm

Last edited by thriftydig on Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silver11

Postby silver11 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:24 pm

I heard that if you apply early that they automatically consider you for EA since it is non binding.

steindle

Postby steindle » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:37 pm

Admissions had this to say about my question:

Letters of recommendation are considered optional material and can be submitted after the November 1 deadline. Speeding tickets are considered minor traffic violations and do not need any explanation.

FYI.

Esc

Postby Esc » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:17 pm

Last edited by Esc on Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

RATRATRAT

Postby RATRATRAT » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:16 pm

Congrats guys, hope you come.

LoopDeeLoop

Postby LoopDeeLoop » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:33 am

Rat,

Thanks for your reply to my previous post. I do have a lot of "soft factors" (internships, scholarships, publications, volunteer work and the like), so it sounds like I should just focus my energies on the ol' LSAT. How are you enjoying the program so far?

Amy and Esc,

Congrats!

cc0800

Postby cc0800 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:36 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
Esc wrote:Just got called earlier today by Monica Ingram, assistant Dean of Admissions, and was offered admission to UTLaw entering fall of 2009. She also said a scholarship offer is in the mail. :D

Ya, I am pretty excited, I got the same today and the massive packet in the mail last night :) Now only if my boyfriend can get a job offer in Austin....

Yay, Amy...Congrats! Offers are currently being made- good luck y'all!

Esc

Postby Esc » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:38 pm

Last edited by Esc on Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RATRATRAT

Postby RATRATRAT » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:22 pm

haha, whoops, I didn't see this before I made a new topic for it. Oh well, more attention for a good article!

philemon

Postby philemon » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:02 am

So far in this cycle UT as stood out for me as having one of the nicest and most efficient adcomms (aside from UMich). I received my decision, a call from Dean Ingram, a scholarship letter and another call from the student recruitment committee all in less than a month from submitting my application.

Living and working after law school is such a better deal in Texas than NY/LA. Texas BigLaw pays the same, and housing costs less than half of NY/LA. $500k will get you a 1500sq ft 2bed/1bath in Inglewood or a crappy studio in NY. In Texas, it will get you a 3000sq ft plus home in a great neighborhood. Plus, no state income taxes in Texas--you only pay sales tax and a slightly higher property tax.

NYC is considering raising its income tax 7-15% to make up for budget shortfalls:

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/200 ... ty_ma.html

...and with Schwarzenegger unsuccessfully trying to get federal money for CA's budget deficit, they look likely to increase certain taxes as well:

--LinkRemoved--

I think it's so easy to get caught up with all the prestige many TLSers espouse on this site with their "t14," "HYS" as well as their obsession with NY/LA BigLaw. But it's hard to ignore the number of people who push themselves down that path after buying into that hype only to realize it wasn't for them. So I say think for yourself, take what people say on this site with a grain of salt, and consider what law school/career is best for you, not just the one the most people talk about.
Last edited by philemon on Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

RATRATRAT

Postby RATRATRAT » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:06 am

it's also warmer here, which can be nice.

prelaw

Postby prelaw » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:21 am

thriftydig wrote:Hi,

I wanted to see if anyone knows how, or if at all, applying to UTexas as an out-of-state would affect the median admit numbers. I think I read that UT accepts only up to 35% out-of-state...

In other words, what is a median number for LSAT/GPA or a range that could be used to predict admission for an out-of-state applier?

I'd like to clarify something. UT can only matriculate 35% out of staters. That does not mean, however, that 35% out of staters is all they can accept. If you are in their range I would apply anway. I know an out of stater 2l who had a 168 and a good GPA. This is the same standard in-staters are held to.

Regarding UT making a move for the top ten, I can tell that Dean Sager is very ambitious and serious about this. I had the privilege of meeting with him for over an hour, and he almost had me sold on the spot. Not only does UT have some of the top scholars in certain fields, but they have one of the best clinical programs as well. Dean Sager is also trying to raise a large sum of money to be able to retain good faculty and give better scholarships. I am convinced that with Dean Sager at the helm UT will only get better in the rankings. For anyone watching the rankings, we all know they are slightly doctored in some cases and perhaps even arbitrary. The fact of the matter is if you want to practice in Texas there is no better school to go to. If you want East or West Coast placement, Texas is still a good pick. 25% of UT students get placed in those places. You really can't beat the quality of life, education, and low cost offered by UT.

Even though UT is the only school I have heard from thus far, I think I sort of just sold myself.

philemon

Postby philemon » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:02 am

For those of you who haven't read the article, Dean Sager played a very active role in taking NYU from mid 30s to top 5 during his tenure there as a professor. He understands the best way to make a sustained move up the rankings is to avoid focusing on the supply side (i.e. baiting highly-qualified applicants to come to the school to boost median LSAT/GPA numbers) and instead focus on the demand side (which employers will want the law school graduates).

Focusing on numbers might push you up the rankings temporarily, but with all the scholarship money you'd have to dole out, you'll come up threadbare in the academics department, and the top firms will quickly realize this and go to schools that prepare their students better. Dean Sager is intent on using both the new endowment money he's currently pursuing as well as the far-reaching intellectual network of prominent professors he cultivated teaching at NYU to significantly improve the academic experience at UT by bringing in more top professors while providing them with the necessary support (better facilities, library, endowed chairs, etc.). This will produce better qualified job candidates, more employers will come knocking from around the nation and more people will seriously pursue a seat at UT, which will naturally raise the median LSAT/GPA numbers as well as UT's rank.

Most of the major donors understand this, and they realize that their reputation is inextricably linked to their alma mater. You probably won't see UT shoot up to #7 or something crazy like that next year, but Dean Sager will make a knowledgeable and dedicated effort that I think will ultimately pay off nicely. Plus, the Dallas legal market is poised to take off as more corporations (Current list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ma ... s/Ft.Worth) move to Texas to avoid steep income/property tax increases and purchase cheaper real estate. Furthermore, recently laid-off attorneys who realize they can't afford NYC or LA anymore will start looking into more affordable places to live/work.

As far as the preconceived notions many people have of Texans as gun-toting bigoted Republicans, that is simply ignorant. I have an openly gay relative who has thrived as a top-level executive in Dallas and San Antonio, and he refuses to even consider living anyplace else. Most cities in Texas are very cosmopolitan and filled with professionals--there's plenty of farm land elsewhere--who are urbane and genuinely nice. You are free to be whoever you like as long as you understand people expect a certain amount of Southern respect and don't appreciate rude/abrasive displays from ANY race/religion/gender/political party.
Last edited by philemon on Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chadstew55

Postby chadstew55 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:00 am

Before you think I'm bashing Texas, I've been accepted by Texas and it is definitely one of my top choices, and I would be pretty excited about UT breaking into the top 10.
philemon wrote:For those of you who haven't read the article, Dean Sager played a very active role in taking NYU from mid 30s to top 5 during his tenure there as a professor.

Umm... I'm sorry, but when was NYU ranked in the mid 30s??I don't believe it has ever been ranked out of top10 by USNEWS. Did somebody else do rankings before USNEWS? I'm not trying to be sarcastic. Really, were there rankings?

philemon wrote:As far as the preconceived notions many people have of Texans as gun-toting bigoted Republicans, that is simply ignorant. I have an openly gay relative who has thrived as a top-level executive in Dallas and San Antonio, and he refuses to even consider living anyplace else. Most cities in Texas are very cosmopolitan and filled with professionals--there's plenty of farm land elsewhere--who are urbane and genuinely nice. You are free to be whoever you like as long as you understand people expect a certain amount of Southern respect and don't appreciate rude/abrasive displays from ANY race/religion/gender/political party.

And why can't an openly gay person be a gun-toting bigoted Republican??

RATRATRAT

Postby RATRATRAT » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:12 pm

chadstew55 wrote:Before you think I'm bashing Texas, I've been accepted by Texas and it is definitely one of my top choices, and I would be pretty excited about UT breaking into the top 10.
philemon wrote:For those of you who haven't read the article, Dean Sager played a very active role in taking NYU from mid 30s to top 5 during his tenure there as a professor.

Umm... I'm sorry, but when was NYU ranked in the mid 30s??I don't believe it has ever been ranked out of top10 by USNEWS. Did somebody else do rankings before USNEWS? I'm not trying to be sarcastic. Really, were there rankings? [quote]

USNWR didn't have rankings, but NYU definitely didn't used to be anything special back in the day like it is now.

philemon

Postby philemon » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:01 pm

"When Sager arrived in 1972, NYU's law school ranking had long hovered in the 30s. Sexton's plan was to lure talent from top-ranked universities, publicize the raids and use the excitement to raise money for the law school. Sager was never interested in an administrative title, but he became Sexton's de facto partner, taking advantage of his growing academic reputation to promote NYU Law. "

--LinkRemoved--

Chadstew55, perhaps you should do a bit more legwork before you ask questions. As far as your comment about my relative, it still would not change my point, which is that you can be whoever you please in Texas and still succeed/feel at home.

prelaw

Postby prelaw » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:03 pm

I am glad to see that a gay professional feels at home in Texas. I will say that Texas is generally not that "accepting." For instance, UT can not even offer domestic partner benefits because DOMA passed a few years ago. That goes for all state employers. If you are a queer considering UT, this is something to keep in mind. Overall, the environment in Austin is quite accepting.

EDIT: queer is only used as an all-inclusive term for the LGBT community. it is not supposed to have a negative connotation.

chadstew55

Postby chadstew55 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:11 pm

philemon wrote:"When Sager arrived in 1972, NYU's law school ranking had long hovered in the 30s. Sexton's plan was to lure talent from top-ranked universities, publicize the raids and use the excitement to raise money for the law school. Sager was never interested in an administrative title, but he became Sexton's de facto partner, taking advantage of his growing academic reputation to promote NYU Law. "

--LinkRemoved--

Chadstew55, perhaps you should do a bit more legwork before you ask questions. As far as your comment about my relative, it still would not change my point, which is that you can be whoever you please in Texas and still succeed/feel at home.

Yeah, I was just saying that gays can be Republicans. --LinkRemoved-- And you shouldn't stereotype republicans.

I read the article. The article talks about NYU being ranked in the 30s in 1972, and then talks about how it is now ranked 5 in USNEWS. There were no USNEWS rankings in the 1970s. What I'm asking about is what ranking system was used during the 1970s?? There is a serious discrepancy in the article comparing apples to oranges, comparing a USNEWS ranking now to some 1970s ranking system that could have been completely different. Chill out man, I don't know why you have to come in here and try to attack what I'm saying, I even qualified my response earlier saying that I was just curious about what ranking system the article was referring to, not criticizing UT.

RATRATRAT wrote:USNWR didn't have rankings, but NYU definitely didn't used to be anything special back in the day like it is now.

Oh allright, thanks man. I guess I'm young and it is just hard for me to imagine NYU with anything but a stellar reputation.

Esc

Postby Esc » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:20 pm

Last edited by Esc on Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RATRATRAT

Postby RATRATRAT » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:26 pm

chadstew55 wrote:
RATRATRAT wrote:USNWR didn't have rankings, but NYU definitely didn't used to be anything special back in the day like it is now.

Oh allright, thanks man. I guess I'm young and it is just hard for me to imagine NYU with anything but a stellar reputation.

haha, I definitely wasn't expecting this response. I was just trying to explain what the other person was getting at; I didn't mean to call you young (actually, I don't even know how old you are!), or cause damage to your e-rep. I hope we are still cool!

:D

chadstew55

Postby chadstew55 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:27 pm

RATRATRAT wrote:
chadstew55 wrote:

haha, I definitely wasn't expecting this response. I was just trying to explain what the other person was getting at; I didn't mean to call you young (actually, I don't even know how old you are!), or cause damage to your e-rep. I hope we are still cool!

:D

lol no, we are cool man, and I hope to join you at UT Law next fall. I didn't realize saying I was young would seem so self deprecating hehe. By young, I just meant not around in the 1970s

philemon

Postby philemon » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:11 pm

Chadstew55, you need to calm way way down. Just because USNWR wasn't doing the rankings when they were in the 30s doesn't mean there weren't rankings and it wasn't an approximate reflection of their status in the legal community. Before USNWR, there was The Gourman Report, which was produced by a prominent polysci professor at Princeton:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_school ... ted_States

I'd wager that any ranking system is simply a self-justified reflection of popular sentiment within the legal community.

I am not attacking anyone, I am simply saying that you needn't be so flippant when you haven't looked more into a topic. I apologize if I missed your point. Also, however you'd like to turn my statement, it remains true. Gays can be gun-toting bigoted Republicans AND still find acceptance in Texas--as can anyone else. The misconception I am attacking is that all Texans are ignorant white country boys, which is grossly misinformed.

The essential points IMHO are that Texas:

1. Has a motivated Dean who has a proven track record in lifting schools up the rankings the right way
2. Is a great school
3. Is in a legal market poised to take off
4. Is not as backwards as many people imply
5. Is in a state that gives you more bang for your buck, and
6. If 75% of the people who graduate from UT (a t16) choose to live in Texas, there must be something attractive about living/working in Texas

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:01 pm

While I like what I know about Dean Sager and his ambitions, you have to be skeptical about moving up the rankings. It's not easy. No one has spent their way into the T14 in, what, 20 years? The rankings have become very static, because they are based so heavily on two things: reputation in the legal community and student quality. Getting together a ton of money will help both of those, but not in the immediate short term, and there's no guarantee that every other school out there isn't raising just as much $$$. The 65% TX requirement may be hampering UT's numbers as well, but it's hard to say because I don't know how in-state students' numbers compare to the out-of-staters.

The rankings are static and self-enforcing at the top. The T14s are recognized as such and continue to have very high reputation scores, which drives the students with the highest numbers and qualifications to attend, which sparks more alumni donations, which brings in more firms recruiting, all of which again boosts the reputation scores. Breaking into the T14 is probably more difficult now than it has ever been, and I'm not sure you can compare Sager's feats at NYU with the present situation at UT. USNWR has made the rankings very static, and even with heavy gamesmanship it's difficult to move up more than a couple spots.

chadstew55

Postby chadstew55 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:45 pm

philemon wrote:Chadstew55, perhaps you should do a bit more legwork before you ask questions.
I am simply saying that you needn't be so flippant when you haven't looked more into a topic

Allright, I'm sorry if my posts are coming off as abrasive. I don't see how that (above) is any less abrasive than anything I have said. So that everyone knows that I'm chill, I am drinking some cranberry pomegranate green tea right now and am sitting in this right now (LinkRemoved) *ahhhh* :) . I'm really sorry man, I'm not questioning anything about UT's potential to break Top10, I think it is a possibility and would be really excited if it did. I agree with all your points. What I was questioning was that NYU was ranked 30 at some point. I was just asking what ranking system the article was referring to. Was it in fact Gourman? No hard feelings right?

Since I was in the library, I went and found a copy of the Gourman Report 1977 edition. The 1967 edition I found only had undergrad. I had wondered about this for a while, when I saw your post, I just thought I'd ask about it. I was kind of hoping someone would know what the 1967 rankings were, or if Gourman did rank Law schools then. I really feel like I've seen it referenced to before.

1 Harvard
2 Michigan
3 Yale
4 University of Chicago
5 Boalt
6 Stanford
7 Columbia
8 Cornell
9 Duke
10 UPenn
11 UCLA
12 Northwestern
13 NYU
14 Vandy
15 Boston University
16 University of Virginia
17 University of Wisconsin (madison)
18 UC Hastings
Other Notables: Georgetown 24, Texas 25, Tulane 26, WUSTL 48

Esc

Postby Esc » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:48 pm

Last edited by Esc on Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”