The University of Texas at Austin, School of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
countbizaller

Bronze

Re: The University of Texas at Austin, School of Law

Post by countbizaller » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:27 am

Westlaw's bringing breakfast tacos tomorrow. Lexis better step it up.

Hey underdawg, what'd you get from Lexis? I think I'm going to base my preference off of the better schwag.

cc0800

New

Post by cc0800 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:36 am

countbizaller wrote:Westlaw's bringing breakfast tacos tomorrow. Lexis better step it up.

Hey underdawg, what'd you get from Lexis? I think I'm going to base my preference off of the better schwag.
yeah I hear...I'm going to have to step it up and get there before my 830 cuz that prof will wring ya out if you're late

Lexis brought coffee and Kripy Kreme (sp?) the other day....I couldn't take that much caffeine and sugar that early though.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:04 am

haha i don't go here; i was just mocking cc's excitement over lexis training. i'll try to be meaner next time (so my intentions are clear)!
Last edited by underdawg on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RATRATRAT

Bronze

Post by RATRATRAT » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:09 am

cc0800 wrote:Kripy Kreme (sp?)
Really? You've never heard of Krispy Kreme?

cc0800

New

Post by cc0800 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:49 pm

RATRATRAT wrote:
cc0800 wrote:Kripy Kreme (sp?)
Really? You've never heard of Krispy Kreme?
Yeah I have...my Dad and that side of the fam are from the town they orginated in and I also use to live there. They're pretty amazing...I just wasn't sure if I was spelling it right. And apparently I wasn't...I missed the S!

underdawg wrote:haha i don't go here; i was just mocking cc's excitement over lexis training. i'll try to be meaner next time (so my intentions are clear)!
I thought that's what you were doing, but I didn't really say I was excited about it so I wasn't sure...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:17 pm

not in so many words, no...

...but it's there
Last edited by underdawg on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doppelganger

Bronze

Post by doppelganger » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:55 am

:D :D :D :D :D :D
Last edited by doppelganger on Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RATRATRAT

Bronze

Post by RATRATRAT » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:26 am

What do you mean?

doppelganger

Bronze

Post by doppelganger » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:55 am

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Last edited by doppelganger on Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

doppelganger

Bronze

Post by doppelganger » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:23 pm

:| :| :| :| :| :|
Last edited by doppelganger on Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

countbizaller

Bronze

Post by countbizaller » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:31 pm

Average age of the class is 25, so 27 doesn't make you out of place.

As for the rest of the stuff, your numbers are always the biggest factor. Nobody here can really give you a definitive answer precisely how much the rest of your background will help.

doppelganger

Bronze

Post by doppelganger » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:42 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Last edited by doppelganger on Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RATRATRAT

Bronze

Post by RATRATRAT » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:32 am

I agree with what cb is saying. Like most law schools, UT considers diversity & other significant factors. & I would imagine that UT would keep your particular situation & hardships in mind when making their decision. Who knows, if you're on the line, maybe that could push you over.

That said, no matter how unique someone is, they won't likely be accepted at UT, or anyone else, if the're just not qualified to be there. You have a great GPA, & if you can do as well on the LSAT I would imagine you have a pretty good chance. But admitted applicants who add diversity, &c. are qualified for academic reasons as well, so you won't exactly be able to blow off the LSAT or anything. Even if they were to put less weight on the LSAT because of what else you could bring to the school, getting the score you would need would still be difficult, I would imagine.

Also, because UT gets a significant number of hispanic applicants compared to other schools, I don't think that the URM boost you will receive will be what you would likely get at other schools that are located in a different region.

Good luck on the LSAT & getting in!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RATRATRAT

Bronze

Post by RATRATRAT » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:31 pm

No, they're not, to give the short answer. Also, if you are going to be living here, it might be worth it financially to wait around a year or however long it takes so that you can have residency.

RATRATRAT

Bronze

Post by RATRATRAT » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:48 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
RATRATRAT wrote:No, they're not, to give the short answer. Also, if you are going to be living here, it might be worth it financially to wait around a year or however long it takes so that you can have residency.
I'm a bit old and have no idea what I would do for work if I wait a year. Seems like outta state tuition is 40k and you can establish TX residency after a year for a cost of 23k? Or am I looking at the wrong thing?
I think I remember hearing that's what it is, but I wouldn't really know since I'm already a resident. But if UT is where you want to go, I think it would pretty worth it financially. Obviously your chances at getting financial aid are much slimmer as a resident, b/c they kind of realize that you're getting a deal as it is, I think, so they really don't need to do much to make their price competitive.

RATRATRAT

Bronze

Post by RATRATRAT » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:59 pm

You're welcome. Yes, I'm a current 1L @ UT. I definitely recommend it, FWIW. Good luck w/ applications!

cc0800

New

Post by cc0800 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:47 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
RATRATRAT wrote:No, they're not, to give the short answer. Also, if you are going to be living here, it might be worth it financially to wait around a year or however long it takes so that you can have residency.
I'm a bit old and have no idea what I would do for work if I wait a year. Seems like outta state tuition is 40k and you can establish TX residency after a year for a cost of 23k? Or am I looking at the wrong thing?

How can you establish residency after a year for 23K? I believe in-state saves a/b 12K (this year I THINK it's 36 v 24) a year, so if this is the case, over the next two years you would break about even. I bought my home to establish residency. This way I can sell after three years and hopefully even gain a profit off of the home (which bc of the deal I got is HIGHLY likely)....but even if I couldn't, you can essentially recover the costs and save the money on tuition. And not have to pay rent. But COME TO UT :)! I actually just got a spot on the student recruitment committee, so you're my first recruitee....don't let me down :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RATRATRAT

Bronze

Post by RATRATRAT » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:00 pm

nm, misread
Last edited by RATRATRAT on Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:01 pm

I got some questions for cc, RAT, Countbizallers, whoever's here...

Where's a good place to stay in Austin, preferably near the law school? Anywhere super cheap? I'll be visiting in October probably from the 16th to the 18th or maybe the weekend after that - I just know I want to avoid the UT/OU weekend so campus is not evacuated to Dallas when I'm there. Also, if anyone has been on a campus visit before applying/being accepted, how exactly does it work? Is it worth the travel costs (as low as they might be thanks to Southwest's screamin deals) to show the adcomms your interest and get a feel for the culture of the law school?

CC - how long before you started school did you have to own a home in order to get in-state tuition? Could you reasonably buy a house in the summer and have in-state by August? It'd be worth the ~$35k in savings to me if I could find a house the SO and I could afford.

RATRATRAT

Bronze

Post by RATRATRAT » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:05 pm

Hey JS, I don't really know the area that well yet & I can't think of any hotels in the immediate area of the LS, but I can ask around for ya & see what I get.

And regarding getting some face time with adcoms, I think it's always a good thing, might be worth it if you get a good deal. After hearing Philo's experience, I'm pretty convinced it can do wonders if you play your cards right.

Sounds like you're pretty seriously considering UT now, huh?

roark

New

Post by roark » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:26 pm

what lsat score does the typical out of state ut student have?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cc0800

New

Post by cc0800 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:27 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
cc0800 wrote:
amyLAchemist wrote:

How can you establish residency after a year for 23K? I believe in-state saves a/b 12K (this year I THINK it's 36 v 24) a year, so if this is the case, over the next two years you would break about even. I bought my home to establish residency. This way I can sell after three years and hopefully even gain a profit off of the home (which bc of the deal I got is HIGHLY likely)....but even if I couldn't, you can essentially recover the costs and save the money on tuition. And not have to pay rent. But COME TO UT :)! I actually just got a spot on the student recruitment committee, so you're my first recruitee....don't let me down :)
Hehe, thanks!

It says on the UT website that residency can be established about living in TX for 12 mo, so I assumed that meant one year outta state rate, 2 years in state rate. It was the same thing for me when I moved to CA - one year outta state, and then it was in state after that.

Honestly, evening with the one year outta state, it's the same as CA state schools (I am a CA resident) and way cheaper than private. Basically, my boyfriend is interviewing at a company in Austin called HelioVolt (solar cell company) and is pretty interested in working there if they hire him. So, UT Austin would be a good choice if I get in! We'd prolly just stay in TX after that, at least for a while. We are both kinda over the CA cost of living, but I am still reluctant to leave CA. We realized we could buy a small condo after him working for like 1 year, and upgrade a few years after that, esp once I am lawyering, which is crazy talk coming from CA.

He's actually only been in CA (LA and San Fran, oh and Mammoth) and NYC (he's not from the US). I think his first TX trip is coming up though.... I actually almost went to UT Austin for my PhD. It was my second choice after UCLA, so I have been there.

Thanks for the encouragement, and glad that ppl there seem to like it. :)

I filled out the application tonight - it was cake :)

Oh ok, I see what you're saying. I'm not completely positive, but I'm pretty sure that just living in TX for a year won't qualify you for residency. I actually had a long talk with the finacial aid office about it at ASD in March. Basically, you must also either own real estate, marry a resident, bring in income for a year, and there may be another option or two. TX is more difficult than most states to establish residency...hence why I ended up purchasing real estate! I may not be completely correct on this, but I spent a lot of time speaking with people about it, so I'm fairly confident. But anyways, good luck and let me know if you have any questions! :)

cc0800

New

Post by cc0800 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:27 pm

roark wrote:what lsat score does the typical out of state ut student have?

I don't know but I would assume high 160s.

roark

New

Post by roark » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:32 pm

cc0800 wrote:
roark wrote:what lsat score does the typical out of state ut student have?

I don't know but I would assume high 160s.
yeah...their median is a 167 so hopefully it's not too much higher than that for out of state.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:35 pm

Last edited by Esc on Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”