The University of Texas at Austin, School of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
RVP11

Gold

Re: The University of Texas at Austin, School of Law

Post by RVP11 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:37 pm

roark wrote:
cc0800 wrote:
roark wrote:what lsat score does the typical out of state ut student have?

I don't know but I would assume high 160s.
yeah...their median is a 167 so hopefully it's not too much higher than that for out of state.
Looking at LSN, it's not that much harder to get in for out-of-staters. So I'd assume 168-169 would be the median LSAT for them.

cc0800

New

Post by cc0800 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:38 pm

^ yeah, again I don't want to give misinformation, but I'm almost positive that living as a student for a year in TX will not qualify you.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:58 pm

CC - know of any good, cheap hotels in the Austin area?

And is owning real estate all you needed for in-state?

cc0800

New

Post by cc0800 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:08 pm

jsporter wrote:CC - know of any good, cheap hotels in the Austin area?

And is owning real estate all you needed for in-state?

I would NOT recommend the hotel I stayed at (though it was cheap), so I'm not much help here. Sometimes you can actually get a good deal at the Extended Stay for a short period of time. Not great, but clean and serves the purpose.

Owning real estate for a year, from my understanding, is basically sufficient. I do believe you must actually reside there as well. In my case, I'm also getting a TX license, auto insurance in TX, and other things that kind of diminish the whole dependent thing to make sure there is no question. I don't know the specifics, but I was basically assured that this would give me residency. If you have any questions, the UT Financial Aid Office is really informed and also can direct you to the correct people to call.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:48 pm

i hear cali is the only state where it's doable to get in-state after a year
Last edited by underdawg on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

littlebit

New

Post by littlebit » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:56 am

Amy, you might want to talk to financial aid - I believe if you receive a scholarship, you also get in state tuition in most cases. Most with 167+ received something last year.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:55 pm

Looks like I'll be visiting UT in about 2 weeks. Can anyone recommend a good day to come (between Monday and Thursday)? I'm thinking early in the week but I'm flexible. Are students notably less friendly to prospectives on a Monday, for instance?

smiley26

New

Post by smiley26 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:18 pm

you have to file your taxes in Texas too to be considered a resident...just fyi

kjunfood

New

Post by kjunfood » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:31 pm

anyone know which is better if you ultimately want to work in TX (probably Dallas or Houston) in BigLaw?

attending UC Berkeley Boalt and then coming back to TX or going UT law?

assume i do equally well in both schools and finances are not an issue

thx

ps - Texans are awesome. i've lived in cali, spent some time in NY and have some family there, and live in TX...and Texans are just so darn friendly and nice and down to earth, what more could you ask for?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bonnieblue

Bronze

Post by bonnieblue » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:13 pm

of course Boalt is a great school and although i'm not an expert on this, but Texas takes a huge amount of pride in its own schools and is huge with UT alums. You really can't do much better in TX Big law than UT except maybe HYS.

countbizaller

Bronze

Post by countbizaller » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:22 pm

jsporter wrote:Looks like I'll be visiting UT in about 2 weeks. Can anyone recommend a good day to come (between Monday and Thursday)? I'm thinking early in the week but I'm flexible. Are students notably less friendly to prospectives on a Monday, for instance?
If you want to see all the students and catch them in a good mood, Wednesday. Most of our classes are over with and we're starting to think about bar review and the weekend.

If you want to visit the school with just some students around, Thursday. A lot of us have only one class then so it's not as packed as it is earlier in the week.

If you really want to catch us in a good mood, show up next week. It's Society Week and there's gonna be food all week and field events on Thursday. My society is already guaranteeing a victory in kickball.

RATRATRAT

Bronze

Post by RATRATRAT » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:26 pm

jsporter wrote:Looks like I'll be visiting UT in about 2 weeks. Can anyone recommend a good day to come (between Monday and Thursday)? I'm thinking early in the week but I'm flexible. Are students notably less friendly to prospectives on a Monday, for instance?
I think we're awesome most days of the week, haha. Need any advice on what to go & do in Austin? hope your visit goes well.

bonnieblue

Bronze

Post by bonnieblue » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:36 pm

where do all of yall live? i go to UT for undergrad and i was always curious if yall all lived in west campus or not

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RATRATRAT

Bronze

Post by RATRATRAT » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:42 pm

I live in Hyde Park. I believe a majority of law students live in North Campus. I've never met any law students that live in West Campus, but I've met a lot that say not to. A little rowdy over there, apparently.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:34 pm

RATRATRAT wrote:
I think we're awesome most days of the week, haha. Need any advice on what to go & do in Austin? hope your visit goes well.
I'll be coming in on Tuesday evening and leaving Wednesday night and basically doing the tour/class visit thing most of the day on Wednesday, I'm assuming. Would love some recommendations on stuff to do - I'll be alone and I don't know anyone currently living in Austin (a few of my friends from UG are moving there in January) so any place a guy could go alone and have a good time would be great. Bars, parks, anything. I love a good pick-up soccer game, if you know where that is likely to happen.

I'm staying just south of campus and was planning on footin it around downtown/campus area. Is that even possible, or should I plan on spending money on cabs everywhere?

uvalaw4l

New

Post by uvalaw4l » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:14 pm

^ yeah, again I don't want to give misinformation, but I'm almost positive that living as a student for a year in TX will not qualify you.
This is true. I know this for a fact - my fiance has tried to gain residency this way and it didn't work.
of course Boalt is a great school and although i'm not an expert on this, but Texas takes a huge amount of pride in its own schools and is huge with UT alums. You really can't do much better in TX Big law than UT except maybe HYS.
You are so right about that Texas pride! But honestly, only about 1/4-1/3 of the summer classes at my Big3 firm have been UT. About 1/2 or more have been T14, with a sprinkling of regional schools (UH, STCL, SMU) thrown in there.
Last edited by uvalaw4l on Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bonnieblue

Bronze

Post by bonnieblue » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:15 pm

on tues night def go to cain and abels for dollar bottle beer night. its always packed and has a decent mix of undergrad and grad students. its on 24th and rio grande and has a great patio. 6th street is always a good time, though on a tues night, not so much...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cc0800

New

Post by cc0800 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:55 pm

If you come Thursday morning I'll be working in the admissions office and would probably give you your tour :)

cc0800

New

Post by cc0800 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:06 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:I have a question, and hope someone can help out. I didn't apply early decision to UT (didn't check the box - I triple checked on my application - I checked regular decision), but when I checked my application on the status checker, it tells me my application is being considered for Early Decision. Is this happening to anyone else? What does non-binding ED mean anyways? Is there a date that you have to let them know by that is earlier than the regular decision applicants? - if so, that would be highly impossible for me. Even though I am very interested in UT law, it really depends on where my sig other gets a job. One of several places he is considering is Austin....and he might not know until springtime.

All early decisions really means @ UT is that you get a decision sometime in January. And even that is not guaranteed because your application can be held to be reconsidered with regular admission. UT doesn't technically do rolling admissions, so this is basically just a way to be sure to get an earlier decision. You won't be held to any different seat deposit deadlines or anything like that, so I wouldn't worry about it. It basically just means you'll mostly likely get a much earlier decision than most.

cc0800

New

Post by cc0800 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:17 pm

I believe you should receive an email with a username and password that will allow you to log onto the freshlaw status checker. This won't be in the initial confirmation email, but in a second email that you should receive within a week of the first.

LoopDeeLoop

New

Post by LoopDeeLoop » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:06 am

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for all the wonderful information provided in your posts! It's great to hear other people's ideas/comments about UT Law.

I'm considering applying to the program once I am finished with the degree I am currently working on. I received my undergrad in English from Texas State - San Marcos. I graduated with a 3.9. Currently, I am in my third and final year of the MFA in Creative Writing (Poetry) program, and my gpa is 3.9. I haven't yet taken the LSAT. I'm going to spend next year studying for the LSAT, adjunct teaching in English, and doing some volunteer work. Is there anything in particular I can do to enhance my chances of being accepted at UT (such as doing volunteer work of a particular kind)? Also, do you know if there are any Texas State graduates currently in the law program or that recently (within the last 3 years) went through it? Just curious...

Thanks so much!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RATRATRAT

Bronze

Post by RATRATRAT » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:31 am

I'd just work at doing as well on the LSAT as I can. If you have absolutely no soft factors from UG, I'd maybe look into trying to get something to put on your resume, but I'm sure you have something, & the most important thing is your LSAT score. Regarding your GPA, what matters for purposes of admission is your UG LSDAS GPA, although your GPA from graduate school will definitely be a nice soft factor. But yeah, volunteering, &c., will have a minimal impact on your chances at admissions--it's all about the LSAT, unfortunately.

And FWIW I think I know of a few TSU people around the law school.

HTH some & good luck on the LSAT.

Elms

Bronze

Post by Elms » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:52 am

Hey guys,

I really want to drive down and visit UT (currently in Ft. Worth) but because of work the only feasible time for me to do so anytime soon is a weekend. Is it worth it to come on a weekend when there (presumably?) won't be any students around to talk to?

steindle

Bronze

Post by steindle » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:59 am

3.31 / 168 here. According to hourumd.com, that gives me a 53.85% shot at UT-Austin, and all four of the people who were Rejected in those stats actually had numbers that were slightly lower than me (167 or sub-3.3 grades), so I feel okay about it. I also think that my PS kicks butt.

Unfortunately my LORs are taking forever to be received for some reason. They were sent last week but they're still not in today and I'm starting to get very worried.

My question: Would it be better to apply ED right now, not having any of my LORs in (hopefully at least ONE by Nov 1?), or would it be better to apply post-November 1 with all of the (recommended) LORs in?

cc0800

New

Post by cc0800 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:16 pm

steindle wrote:3.31 / 168 here. According to hourumd.com, that gives me a 53.85% shot at UT-Austin, and all four of the people who were Rejected in those stats actually had numbers that were slightly lower than me (167 or sub-3.3 grades), so I feel okay about it. I also think that my PS kicks butt.

Unfortunately my LORs are taking forever to be received for some reason. They were sent last week but they're still not in today and I'm starting to get very worried.

My question: Would it be better to apply ED right now, not having any of my LORs in (hopefully at least ONE by Nov 1?), or would it be better to apply post-November 1 with all of the (recommended) LORs in?
Well the thing is- LORs don't matter that much and ED doesn't matter that much. You might want to go ahead and apply because if you're accepted, great, if your application is held until regular decision you can add the LORs, and if you are rejected, you in all likelihood were not going to get in with a LOR.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”