The University of Texas at Austin, School of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
JoeShmo

New

Re: The University of Texas at Austin, School of Law

Post by JoeShmo » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:30 pm

How does UT place back up in the Northeast? Specifically NYC and Boston.

Snooker

Bronze

Post by Snooker » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:41 pm

Placement is hard to say, since once you plug TX and NY into a cost of living calculator, very few of the Texans seem to want to move up there. Word on the street is that placement into NYC is very good, though I don't have stats on that. Afaik, Boston firms tend to like people with local roots, which Texans by and large seem to lack.

RATRATRAT

Bronze

Post by RATRATRAT » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:04 pm

Honestly, I don't really know either, I don't know anyone that is trying to go there. :?

There are a few old threads on the national mobility of TX that you can look up that might be helpful though.

12thman2011

New

Post by 12thman2011 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:13 am

I am a sophomore at A&M and was just wondering how many ags there are at UT law? I just took a practice LSAT today from KAPLAN and scored a 160. I took it not having a clue what was on it or how it was structured, and even didn't do the last two logic games because I got bored and was frustrated with the stupid things. I say all this because after taking the test today it got me interested in finding out more. Any tips ya'll have would be awesome. Thanks

txag_09

New

Post by txag_09 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:55 am

12thman2011 wrote:I am a sophomore at A&M and was just wondering how many ags there are at UT law? I just took a practice LSAT today from KAPLAN and scored a 160. I took it not having a clue what was on it or how it was structured, and even didn't do the last two logic games because I got bored and was frustrated with the stupid things. I say all this because after taking the test today it got me interested in finding out more. Any tips ya'll have would be awesome. Thanks
Go to Karen at OPSA. She will have statistics.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:25 pm

Last edited by Esc on Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AR75

New

Post by AR75 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:20 pm

I don't currently attend UT, but I know people do.

helvidius2010

New

Post by helvidius2010 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:30 pm

how many ags there are at UT law?
Too many, but I guess one more won't hurt anything.

160 out of the dark is solid. Practice hard, and I don't see why you can't raise that 7-10 points. As Esc said, use the real LSATs from LSAC instead of exams from Kaplan. There are over 30 old LSAT tests available from LSAC. You said you got frustrated with the logic games. The good news is that the logic games are the easiest area to improve with practice. Pick up a book which gives you the basics of how to approach logic games, and then practice on your own.

12thman2011

New

Post by 12thman2011 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:10 pm

Thanks a lot I will not be taking the real LSAT for at least a year so if I can't raise my score from there with over a year to study I guess I don't deserve to go to law school.

Believe me that when I have to pay to take the real test I will put forth much more effort than I did when I took the free practice one. When I took the test from KAPLAN they said that it was an old test from LSAC, so unless they bold faced lied to me I can assume that is how the real test is.

Thanks for the response. Everywhere else I have asked questions the only response I have gotten is don't go to law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chadstew55

Bronze

Post by chadstew55 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:40 pm

12thman2011 wrote:Thanks a lot I will not be taking the real LSAT for at least a year so if I can't raise my score from there with over a year to study I guess I don't deserve to go to law school.

Believe me that when I have to pay to take the real test I will put forth much more effort than I did when I took the free practice one. When I took the test from KAPLAN they said that it was an old test from LSAC, so unless they bold faced lied to me I can assume that is how the real test is.

Thanks for the response. Everywhere else I have asked questions the only response I have gotten is don't go to law school.
Well, Kaplan used to use their own test a few years ago, but now all the practice tests they give you are old LSAC ones.

160 is a solid diagnostic score. My first diagnostic (a free kaplan test also) was a 159 so I bet you can get your score up there. My only advice would be to pace yourself if you still have a year left to practice. There are only so many old tests. I only studied for about 3 weeks before the exam so I didn't have this problem, but if I were to do it again, I would probably study 2-3 months before.

EDIT: And I would guess that UT and A&M are the two most represented undergrads at UT law. This is pure speculation, though.

brittanyfowler

New

Post by brittanyfowler » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:54 pm

chadstew55 wrote:
12thman2011 wrote:Thanks a lot I will not be taking the real LSAT for at least a year so if I can't raise my score from there with over a year to study I guess I don't deserve to go to law school.

Well, Kaplan used to use their own test a few years ago, but now all the practice tests they give you are old LSAC ones.

160 is a solid diagnostic score. My first diagnostic (a free kaplan test also) was a 159 so I bet you can get your score up there. My only advice would be to pace yourself if you still have a year left to practice. There are only so many old tests. I only studied for about 3 weeks before the exam so I didn't have this problem, but if I were to do it again, I would probably study 2-3 months before.

EDIT: And I would guess that UT and A&M are the two most represented undergrads at UT law. This is pure speculation, though.

Thanks for clarifying the real LSAC exam issue. It's now PrepTest 36, and all of the Kaplan tests are officially released LSAC questions. We don't give you fake ones. I promise I didn't lie to you at my practice test event, 12thman2011! :)

whatitdont

New

Post by whatitdont » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:57 am

AR75 wrote:I don't currently attend UT, but I know people do.
you on a roll son

youtube "sara loeffelholz" shes a tasty vapid little toilet

JoeShmo

New

Re:

Post by JoeShmo » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:42 pm

DAC wrote:UT is my top choice of law school (at least from a realistic standpoint).

I noticed that a large proportion of its admitted students are TX residents (surprise!)... How much does being an "out-of-state applicant" hurt if your numbers are around (or slightly below) UT's medians?
I'm out of state and got in with an LSAT below their median (with a GPA well above their median, however). There's hope! I did apply ED, which may have helped.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hownowbrowncow

New

Post by hownowbrowncow » Wed May 20, 2009 4:10 pm

Any of the current students aiming for a joint degree? I'm thinking of doing the JD/MA in Middle Eastern Studies and was wondering if y'all had any thoughts. Thanks!

Stephanie13

Bronze

Post by Stephanie13 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:03 pm

Hi, I'm a Texas resident with a UT law or bust mentality and I was wondering if anyone might have any advice for me. I have a 3.82 UG gpa and from the research I've done on this forum and on LSN I've found that I pretty much need a 166 on the LSAT to gain an "automatic" acceptance. Does anyone have any advice or stories about people getting in with a lower LSAT? And how much does being a Texas resident help? I am not a URM.

Thanks y'all!

RATRATRAT

Bronze

Post by RATRATRAT » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:05 pm

Stephanie13 wrote:Hi, I'm a Texas resident with a UT law or bust mentality and I was wondering if anyone might have any advice for me. I have a 3.82 UG gpa and from the research I've done on this forum and on LSN I've found that I pretty much need a 166 on the LSAT to gain an "automatic" acceptance. Does anyone have any advice or stories about people getting in with a lower LSAT? And how much does being a Texas resident help? I am not a URM.

Thanks y'all!
Anything below 166 would be a gamble, I would say, though I'm sure there are some. It would probably be in off the waitlist, I would imagine, though perhaps people from last cycle can give better info.

Stephanie13

Bronze

Post by Stephanie13 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:13 pm

RATRATRAT wrote:
Stephanie13 wrote:Hi, I'm a Texas resident with a UT law or bust mentality and I was wondering if anyone might have any advice for me. I have a 3.82 UG gpa and from the research I've done on this forum and on LSN I've found that I pretty much need a 166 on the LSAT to gain an "automatic" acceptance. Does anyone have any advice or stories about people getting in with a lower LSAT? And how much does being a Texas resident help? I am not a URM.

Thanks y'all!
Anything below 166 would be a gamble, I would say, though I'm sure there are some. It would probably be in off the waitlist, I would imagine, though perhaps people from last cycle can give better info.
yea i'm just not sure which thread to post on to get that information, which cycle were you in?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RATRATRAT

Bronze

Post by RATRATRAT » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:21 pm

Stephanie13 wrote:
RATRATRAT wrote:

Thanks y'all!
yea i'm just not sure which thread to post on to get that information, which cycle were you in?
c/o 2011. & you could post in the c/o 2012 thread if you want their advice on it, but I'm pretty sure the picture you got from LSN is pretty accurate.

Stephanie13

Bronze

Post by Stephanie13 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:28 pm

RATRATRAT wrote:
Stephanie13 wrote:
RATRATRAT wrote:

Thanks y'all!
c/o 2011. & you could post in the c/o 2012 thread if you want their advice on it, but I'm pretty sure the picture you got from LSN is pretty accurate.
yea you're right. i probably won't bother them on their thread. thanks!

PhD to JD

New

Post by PhD to JD » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:38 pm

So Longhorns, do you have any advice for how to boost my acceptance possibilities? My undergraduate GPA is not stellar, but is from a very prestigious school (3.1 from William and Mary). Basically my first two years were not great and it drastically improved after that. I am completing my PhD at Texas A&M in Plant Pathology and Microbiology with a graduate GPA of 4.0 (Don't hate the Aggies, you know you will win the game so let us have our fun!) Thus far I have simply been told to thoroughly kick tail on the LSAT. Any other words of wisdom? Any soft padding ideas that could improve my chances? Thanks! :)

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:16 am

PhD to JD wrote:So Longhorns, do you have any advice for how to boost my acceptance possibilities? My undergraduate GPA is not stellar, but is from a very prestigious school (3.1 from William and Mary). Basically my first two years were not great and it drastically improved after that. I am completing my PhD at Texas A&M in Plant Pathology and Microbiology with a graduate GPA of 4.0 (Don't hate the Aggies, you know you will win the game so let us have our fun!) Thus far I have simply been told to thoroughly kick tail on the LSAT. Any other words of wisdom? Any soft padding ideas that could improve my chances? Thanks! :)
Sorry to break it to you, but the only things they will really care about are the LSAT and the 3.1 UGPA. William and Mary doesn't count as a very prestigious school; even those who go to ivies get a negligible boost, at best. Your PhD will be another decent soft to the adcomms, but don't count on it having an effect.

I don't think UT is particularly splitter-friendly, unfortunately. I'm going to repeat the conventional wisdom and tell you to get a really, really good LSAT (you should be aiming to break 170), and then write a really good PS that stresses your commitment to Texas. If you can nail the combination of high LSAT, good PS with Texas commitment, plus decent softs and letters of recommendation, you could have a chance.

Good luck.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

triplecats

New

Post by triplecats » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:13 am

Does anyone here happen to know about UT's placement outside of Texas, or how OCI went this past summer? I am considering UT so I can be near my spouse while grad school gets finished, but we don't really plan to stay in Texas for long after that (probably the best match for us would be DC, with NYC a distant second). I think I have the numbers to get into UT, but not the numbers to get a very big scholarship. Going to law school for cheap-ish would be wonderful, but not at the expense of the eventual goal (probably DC).

Any and all help appreciated. Merci. :)

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:31 pm

UT places decently in DC, but not as well as similarly ranked eastern schools. You would probably need ~top 25-33% from Texas to have a good chance at a D.C. job.

If you know you don't want to stay in Texas, then you probably don't want to go to UT. GULC, Duke, and Vandy will all probably serve you better if you are DC bound.

Apple Tree

Bronze

Post by Apple Tree » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:34 am

Does anyone know how the legal market at Austin is? I like Austin and would like to stay there after I graduate, but I fear it has a small legal market.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:50 am

Apple Tree wrote:Does anyone know how the legal market at Austin is? I like Austin and would like to stay there after I graduate, but I fear it has a small legal market.
Your fears are justified. The Austin legal market is small, at least as far as private firms go. A handful of Biglaw firms have offices in Austin (Baker Botts, Vinson & Elkins, Fulbright, etc) but most of these offices are small (10-30 attorneys) and there aren't many of them. Especially in this economy, most graduates w/ Biglaw/market jobs end up working in Houston or Dallas.

However, Austin does have a good number of Texas government and PI jobs that provide options for those who aren't interested in private firms. All the state agencies are based here, including the fairly large Texas AG's office, and there are a lot of PI groups of all shapes and sizes.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”