NYU 2L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Renzo

Re: NYU 2L Taking Questions

Postby Renzo » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:37 am

bmwhype2 wrote:- where do you get your practice exams? are there test banks from the NYU library or the professor?
- is it advisable to study for the bar exam topic simultaneously as you are taking the courses?
- what's LRAP? https://its.law.nyu.edu/eventcalendar/i ... l&id=15909

There are exams on the library's website, but the tend to be very, very dated. More often, professors will make some available near the end of the term.

I'm not sure what you mean by studying bar exam topics; if you mean should you study things that will be on the bar, as in studying "contracts" while taking "contracts," then yes. If you mean should you use bar review material to study for your 1L classes, definitely not.

LRAP=Loan Repayment Assistance Program. You take a qualifying public interest or government job, the school helps you pay your loans.

bmwhype2

Postby bmwhype2 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:47 am

not really NYU-specific, but is there groupwork (group projects to hand in for grading) in law school or strictly midterms&finals?

spondee

Postby spondee » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:54 am

There's group work in Lawyering 1L year - but that's not graded. Then as a 2L/3L, there's group work in clinics and in some simulation courses. You'd always know beforehand so you can avoid it if you want.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:14 pm

bmwhype2 wrote:not really NYU-specific, but is there groupwork (group projects to hand in for grading) in law school or strictly midterms&finals?

No midterms either, actually. Just a final--one test to determine your grade. As an upper-level student there are smaller clinics with writing requirements, etc., but these are exceptions to the general rule.

bmwhype2

Postby bmwhype2 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:32 pm

- Can someone elaborate on the tax curriculum at NYU (beyond what is posted on the NYU Law website)?
- Does law clinic experience (research, drafting documents, etc), moot court, law review matter for BigLaw. I've heard that it does NOT in that NYU is a T14 school.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:38 am

bmwhype2 wrote:- Can someone elaborate on the tax curriculum at NYU (beyond what is posted on the NYU Law website)?
- Does law clinic experience (research, drafting documents, etc), moot court, law review matter for BigLaw. I've heard that it does NOT in that NYU is a T14 school.

As for tax courses, all I can say is that there are an annoying number of them clogging up my registration course searches.

As for clinics, moot court, and law review, these are not equals. Law review matters. Clinics don't (and can't) really matter for biglaw, because if you are getting on the biglaw train, you are almost certainly doing it before your 2L year starts so you won't have a clinic under your belt. Moot court is about the same as a secondary journal: it will help you fill up your resume if its a little light, but no one is really going to care much either way.

Curry

Postby Curry » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:17 pm

Hey! Thanks for answering all these questions.

I am trying to figure out where I should apply early decision next fall. I have a 3.6 GPA and a 173 LSAT score. Average softs and possibly 1 year work experience.

I don't really care which school (NYU or Columbia) that I go to - both seem equally nice. I don't really care whether in NY I end up living, all I care about is getting into one of these two schools. Which school do you recommend?

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:00 pm

Can anyone comment on the opportunities for extra-curricular involvement for 1Ls? What is it easiest to break into and ultimately take on a meaningful role in as a 2L or 3L? I'm thinking everything from reviews to centers (Law and Security and Brennan, specifically) to affinity groups. Is it even possible to balance this activity with 1L classes?

spondee

Postby spondee » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:50 pm

curryinaninstant wrote:Hey! Thanks for answering all these questions.

I am trying to figure out where I should apply early decision next fall. I have a 3.6 GPA and a 173 LSAT score. Average softs and possibly 1 year work experience.

I don't really care which school (NYU or Columbia) that I go to - both seem equally nice. I don't really care whether in NY I end up living, all I care about is getting into one of these two schools. Which school do you recommend?

NYU's easier to get into, if that's what you mean. I don't really know how your numbers set you up for either because, as a 2L, I'm a little distanced from that process.

You might want to post in the "what are my chances?" forum, where people have a better sense of numbers and chances.

Also, if you have particular interests, consider doing research into the two schools' offerings in those areas. NYU and Columbia are a lot alike but they're not wholly interchangeable. Maybe if you knew more, or visited them both, you'd have a preference.

spondee

Postby spondee » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:10 am

sgtgrumbles wrote:Can anyone comment on the opportunities for extra-curricular involvement for 1Ls? What is it easiest to break into and ultimately take on a meaningful role in as a 2L or 3L? I'm thinking everything from reviews to centers (Law and Security and Brennan, specifically) to affinity groups. Is it even possible to balance this activity with 1L classes?

Extracurricular opportunities for 1Ls are mostly limited to student groups. But there are A LOT of different student groups - everything from affinity/identity groups to flag football teams to a choir to the Federalist Society and the ACLU to various issue-oriented or service provider groups, like the Education Law group or the Unemployment Action Center. Joining is easy: show up. And the time commitment is usually whatever you make of it. Many, many students participate in 1 or 2 groups as a 1L, although some don't and some professors advise against it. But I think it's manageable, especially if you keep your goals in mind - I mean, if your dream is to work for the ACLU one day, why wouldn't you do a little research for the ACLU as a 1L when you get the chance?

The journals and law reviews are strictly for 2L/3Ls. For journals, there's a writing competition that follows 1L year. If you put serious effort into the competition, you'll likely make a journal. By that time of the year, a lot of people are burnt out and don't try very hard. The main Law Review is competitive, but I don't think many of the others really are. But Law Review also takes up significantly more time than the others.

The centers occasionally hire Research Assistants. I don't know of any 1Ls that did research for them, but I know some that began working for them 1L summer. There's also some overlap between the centers and the clinics. Students apply for the next year's clinics in the spring - so 1Ls can't participate in clinics during 1L year, but do have the opportunity to apply during the spring of 1L year to be in a clinic during 2L year. NYU has enough clinics that most students (who want one) get a chance to be in one sometime during 2L or 3L. And many students take multiple clinics.

Sparda9000

Postby Sparda9000 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:46 am

On the admissions website for NYU, it states that "Students are admitted to the Juris Doctor (J.D.) Program only on a full-time basis and only for the fall semester."
Is J.D. a separate program from what regular law students are accepted (no prior law school experience)? Do regular law students attend classes only in the fall? What about the spring? I hope to attend NYU in the future (after I take my LSATs and increase my gpa some more), but I just wanted to get those questions answered.

zanda

Postby zanda » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:41 pm

Sparda9000 wrote:On the admissions website for NYU, it states that "Students are admitted to the Juris Doctor (J.D.) Program only on a full-time basis and only for the fall semester."
Is J.D. a separate program from what regular law students are accepted (no prior law school experience)? Do regular law students attend classes only in the fall? What about the spring? I hope to attend NYU in the future (after I take my LSATs and increase my gpa some more), but I just wanted to get those questions answered.

J.D. is the degree that all lawyers get.

All NYU students START law school in the fall, then go on to their 2nd semester in the spring.

Sparda9000

Postby Sparda9000 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:08 pm

zanda wrote:
Sparda9000 wrote:On the admissions website for NYU, it states that "Students are admitted to the Juris Doctor (J.D.) Program only on a full-time basis and only for the fall semester."

J.D. is the degree that all lawyers get.

All NYU students START law school in the fall, then go on to their 2nd semester in the spring.

Thank you for your answer, I was a little confused at the wording.

bmwhype2

Postby bmwhype2 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:59 pm

Can someone elaborate on the write-on process for the Tax Law Review?
http://www.law.nyu.edu/llmjsd/tax/taxla ... /index.htm

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:31 pm

bmwhype2 wrote:Can someone elaborate on the write-on process for the Tax Law Review?

The Tax Law Review ... is one of the few faculty-edited journals in the legal academy

Sorry, boss.

bmwhype2

Postby bmwhype2 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:34 pm

Renzo wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:Can someone elaborate on the write-on process for the Tax Law Review?

The Tax Law Review ... is one of the few faculty-edited journals in the legal academy

Sorry, boss.

:oops:

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:02 pm

So, I recently bought a MacBook Pro and I was wondering if students are allowed to write their exams on MacBook Pros? I only ask because I remember a short while ago there was something of a controversy because NYU wasn't allowing students to use them. Is that still the case? Do you need to have a windows partition to use it?

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:22 am

Almost everyone uses a Mac. I know they have new exam software this year and that the old software used to crash Macs a lot (but this year there was only one crash in my entire section over three exams). Just a 1L, so I can't speak for previous years, but your Mac will be just fine with the new software.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:26 am

BenJ wrote:Almost everyone uses a Mac. I know they have new exam software this year and that the old software used to crash Macs a lot (but this year there was only one crash in my entire section over three exams). Just a 1L, so I can't speak for previous years, but your Mac will be just fine with the new software.

Yeah, the old software was terribly Mac unfriendly, but Exam 4 works across platforms.

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:54 am

Renzo wrote:
BenJ wrote:Almost everyone uses a Mac. I know they have new exam software this year and that the old software used to crash Macs a lot (but this year there was only one crash in my entire section over three exams). Just a 1L, so I can't speak for previous years, but your Mac will be just fine with the new software.

Yeah, the old software was terribly Mac unfriendly, but Exam 4 works across platforms.

Ah perfect! That's a huge relief :D thanks!

musketeerlady

Postby musketeerlady » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:22 pm

I'm a 1L at NYU, and have to second everything that has been said - accurate and very honest. Also second that I love it here every day. The professors are beyond amazing, and are truly the bread and butter for a rewarding intellectual life.

I have a question to the 2Ls: do you know how moot courts work at NYU/ what it takes to get on one? Is trial advocacy another good option to work on oral skills? And to those who have worked at law firms: did you find that you get opportunity to work on your speaking confidence at all?

I don't have any previous debate experience, and don't necessarily want to be a trial lawyer. But I want to be more articulated and confident in public speaking.

Thanks much, and happy new year! (New York is a white snowball today).

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:34 am

musketeerlady wrote:I'm a 1L at NYU, and have to second everything that has been said - accurate and very honest. Also second that I love it here every day. The professors are beyond amazing, and are truly the bread and butter for a rewarding intellectual life.

I have a question to the 2Ls: do you know how moot courts work at NYU/ what it takes to get on one? Is trial advocacy another good option to work on oral skills? And to those who have worked at law firms: did you find that you get opportunity to work on your speaking confidence at all?

I don't have any previous debate experience, and don't necessarily want to be a trial lawyer. But I want to be more articulated and confident in public speaking.

Thanks much, and happy new year! (New York is a white snowball today).
Anyone can compete in Marden moot court; just look for the posters early next year (you were eligible this year, but its over). You can also apply for both/either the Moot Court board (they publish a moot court casebook that is used by a lot of competitions) and the competition team. This happens simultaneously with the journal writing competition.

HarlandBassett

Postby HarlandBassett » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:05 pm

Can you write about the first year professors similar to this post?

An off the record look at Penn 1st Year Professors
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=142530

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:20 pm

I'm cross-posting a question I asked in the NYU 3L thread in case people in here want to chime in. Renzo, thanks for your response in the other thread.

Of the people you know who are doing public interest work, have any paid full price intending to fall back on LRAP? I realize that's a sensitive topic and may not come up in casual conversation, but I'd appreciate any insight you might have. I received $54k from Michigan and wonder if it's completely crazy to pass that up to do PI at NYU at (presumably) sticker. I'd prefer NYU for its job prospects, PI resources, faculty, and centers and journals, but I don't want to drown it debt, though FWIW I've lived in NYC for the last two years on a salary of under $40k.

/ramble

zanda

Postby zanda » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:18 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:I'm cross-posting a question I asked in the NYU 3L thread in case people in here want to chime in. Renzo, thanks for your response in the other thread.

Of the people you know who are doing public interest work, have any paid full price intending to fall back on LRAP? I realize that's a sensitive topic and may not come up in casual conversation, but I'd appreciate any insight you might have. I received $54k from Michigan and wonder if it's completely crazy to pass that up to do PI at NYU at (presumably) sticker. I'd prefer NYU for its job prospects, PI resources, faculty, and centers and journals, but I don't want to drown it debt, though FWIW I've lived in NYC for the last two years on a salary of under $40k.

/ramble

One of my close friends is paying full price and intends to use LRAP. She's a 2L so still looking for something to do this summer. Your instinct is correct that people generally don't discuss how much scholarship money (if any) they have, so it's hard to say what percentage of LRAP people are in that position, though it doesn't seem terribly unusual.

What I've noticed during my year and a half of law school is that many students struggle to live on a budget because they're used to, for example, eating out all the time or going to see Broadway shows frequently. Since you sound like you're used to not spending crazily, I think you'll be just fine.
Last edited by zanda on Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”