NYU 2L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Renzo

Gold

Re: NYU 2L Taking Questions

Post by Renzo » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:50 pm

Yeah, like everyone else said. Admin. law is a huge portion of all the lawyering that goes on these days, so I think it's actually more relevant to a foundational legal education than most other standard 1L doctrinal classes. Fed Courts, on the other hand, is a terrible, confusing mindfuck that I wouldn't wish on anyone. It's basically only useful for soon-to-be federal clerks.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:53 pm

spaceman82 wrote:Have any of you lived in the Sullivan Street building or know anything about living in a single there? I'm specifically wondering if it's easy for a 1L to get one of these and if it's a good idea to live there as a 1L in general. Also, how accessible is the law school and how complicated/expensive is it to get decent internet access? I'm a non-traditional student and would prefer to live alone if possible, and the singles on Sullivan Street look much bigger than those in D'Agostino.
I didn't live there, but I do know someone who did. It's plenty close to the law school and pretty much hassle-free, but more expensive than the dorms. I can't speak to how tough they are to get as a 1L, but I think families get preferential treatment.

zanda

Silver

Post by zanda » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:03 am

Renzo wrote:
spaceman82 wrote:Have any of you lived in the Sullivan Street building or know anything about living in a single there? I'm specifically wondering if it's easy for a 1L to get one of these and if it's a good idea to live there as a 1L in general. Also, how accessible is the law school and how complicated/expensive is it to get decent internet access? I'm a non-traditional student and would prefer to live alone if possible, and the singles on Sullivan Street look much bigger than those in D'Agostino.
I didn't live there, but I do know someone who did. It's plenty close to the law school and pretty much hassle-free, but more expensive than the dorms. I can't speak to how tough they are to get as a 1L, but I think families get preferential treatment.
I think you're confusing Sullivan for MacDougal. MacDougal is family housing. Sullivan is studios. It's about the same as a mercer double (a little cheaper, but have to get own internet).

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:39 am

zanda wrote:
Renzo wrote:
I think you're confusing Sullivan for MacDougal. MacDougal is family housing. Sullivan is studios. It's about the same as a mercer double (a little cheaper, but have to get own internet).
No, I'm not confused, but I might be wrong. The person I know who lived there said that it was a little more than the dorms after cable/internet was added, but this might not be so now. And I thought the Sullivan studios were preferentially given to couples, but someone less lazy than me could probably see if I'm right or wrong on the website.

gnmnkch

New

Post by gnmnkch » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:24 pm

Would you guys mind chiming in on my situation (UCLA$$ vs. Duke$ vs. NYU) (here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=151710 )? Since you guys know what's going on at NYU I'd really appreciate any input. Thanks a bunch.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:56 pm

Hey guys,
Us 0Ls have some budgeting questions:

How reasonable is the COA budget??

1) The loan fees are really low compared to other schools. ($104 vs $1-2k at other schools)

2) There are no "personal" or "misc" line items, is this supposed to be wrapped up in room/board?

3) The room and board budget seems to be low even for their own housing options. How reasonable is it as an estimate?

parsi

Bronze

Post by parsi » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:55 pm

Do you have a preference between the two on campus housing buildings?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:18 pm

bdubs wrote:Hey guys,

1) The loan fees are really low compared to other schools. ($104 vs $1-2k at other schools)

2) There are no "personal" or "misc" line items, is this supposed to be wrapped up in room/board?

3) The room and board budget seems to be low even for their own housing options. How reasonable is it as an estimate?
The budget is livable, even if you are in the (fairly expensive) on-campus housing.

parsi wrote:Do you have a preference between the two on campus housing buildings?
Not really. There are ups and downs of both. D'ag, on average, is probably a little quieter, but this will depend more on what floor/what side of the building than what building. The Mercer terrace will be nice once they finally get it back open.

spacepenguin

Silver

Post by spacepenguin » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:08 pm

Is the on-campus housing pretty much guaranteed for those who want it?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:42 am

spacepenguin wrote:Is the on-campus housing pretty much guaranteed for those who want it?
For 1Ls, yes. And I have yet to hear of anyone who wanted on campus housing as an upper-classman who didn't get it, but theoretically 1Ls get preference.

neyaae

New

Post by neyaae » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:42 pm

Renzo wrote:

The budget is livable, even if you are in the (fairly expensive) on-campus housing.

parsi wrote:Do you have a preference between the two on campus housing buildings?
Not really. There are ups and downs of both. D'ag, on average, is probably a little quieter, but this will depend more on what floor/what side of the building than what building. The Mercer terrace will be nice once they finally get it back open.
Really? I thought Mercer was quieter. Can you chose sides on D'Ag like you can for Mercer? Could you elaborate on the ups and downs of both?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:10 pm

neyaae wrote:
Renzo wrote:

Really? I thought Mercer was quieter. Can you chose sides on D'Ag like you can for Mercer? Could you elaborate on the ups and downs of both?
The Broadway side of Mercer is loud because of Broadway, but the other side is probably the quietest option. D'ag doesn't get any traffic noise, but Thurs-Sat nights get really loud from drunkies in the street, so being up high makes a big difference.

The cheap options in Mercer are laid out better than the cheap D'ag rooms, but the more expensive suites (the ones with some shared living space) in D'Ag are nicer. D'Ag saves you a few blocks of walking to school, which can be nice when it's freezing ass cold and you're hung over. But Mercer is closer to the gym, which can be great when it's cold and you're trying to make excuses not to work out.

The D'Ag terraces used to be nicer, but that's all fucked up now, and from what I hear, the reconstructed Mercer terrace is nicer. And, there is proportionately more laundry capacity at Mercer, which isn't a big deal, but it can be a drag when everyone in the world decides to do laundry at the same time in D'Ag. The D'ag basement also tends to get a little more crowded than the common study areas in Mercer because it's closer and all the journal offices are downstairs.

HarlandBassett

Bronze

Post by HarlandBassett » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:55 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

spondee

Bronze

Post by spondee » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:20 pm

HarlandBassett wrote:Does NYu have a grade book?
http://emorylawstudent.com/the-case-of- ... ok#more-82
Yes, grade distributions for past classes are available online for students. But it excludes small uncurved classes. And for curved classes it mostly only proves that most professors simply follow the recommended distribution for all 3 years.

spacepenguin

Silver

Post by spacepenguin » Tue May 10, 2011 11:54 am

Can any students tell me how the lottery system works for EIW?

More specifically, doesn't such a system theoretically mean that someone with stellar grades may be shut out completely from bidding on certain firms? Or on the other side of the spectrum, a below median student may be interviewed by a firm that would otherwise not give him/her the opportunity?

Sorry if this is a silly a question, but the word 'lottery' gives me irrational fear.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue May 10, 2011 2:09 pm

spacepenguin wrote:Can any students tell me how the lottery system works for EIW?

More specifically, doesn't such a system theoretically mean that someone with stellar grades may be shut out completely from bidding on certain firms? Or on the other side of the spectrum, a below median student may be interviewed by a firm that would otherwise not give him/her the opportunity?

Sorry if this is a silly a question, but the word 'lottery' gives me irrational fear.
Yes, both of those things could happen, but it would take intentional and very, very foolish participation by the student in question.

However, lottery is the wrong word; it's an algorithm. You rank 50 firms that you want to interview with, and so does everyone else. The computer assigns everyone an interview schedule that on aggregate gets everyone the most and highest-ranked choices possible.

As long as you rank your top choices at the top, you'll get most of those interviews (although not necessarily every single one); it's your lower ranked choices that are far less predictable. Keeping this in mind, if you put firms you don't have a realistic shot with very high on your list, you'll get those screening interview slots but they'll just throw your resume away. Meanwhile, you might miss out on slots with firms that actually would have hired you.

Long story short, be realistic and strategic in your bidding. Make your list based on A) the grade data OCS provided B) your preferred firms C) the total number of slots a firm has available (if it's only a few slots, rank them higher).

neyaae

New

Post by neyaae » Wed May 11, 2011 5:12 pm

Question about rooms - the O room in D'Ag looks like it has a bigger common space than the C room in Mercer. Do you know how big it really is? Like big enough for a futon and tv? Is it worth the smaller rooms to have this larger common space?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Mon May 16, 2011 10:51 am

[quote="neyaae"]Question about rooms - the O room in D'Ag looks like it has a bigger common space than the C room in Mercer. Do you know how big it really is? Like big enough for a futon and tv? Is it worth the smaller rooms to have this larger common space?[/quote]

melamine

Bronze

Post by melamine » Fri May 20, 2011 1:22 am

posted elsewhere - but this seems like the forum where it could be best answered:

When exactly do we get money for our loans, for 1L? I'm wondering b/c it affects when exactly I can make a rent payment - and hence, when I can move to NYC in the first place...

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Fri May 20, 2011 12:25 pm

melamine wrote:posted elsewhere - but this seems like the forum where it could be best answered:

When exactly do we get money for our loans, for 1L? I'm wondering b/c it affects when exactly I can make a rent payment - and hence, when I can move to NYC in the first place...
If I remember right, my stuff was direct deposited during the first week of classes.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Fri May 20, 2011 9:08 pm

forza wrote:
melamine wrote:posted elsewhere - but this seems like the forum where it could be best answered:

If I remember right, my stuff was direct deposited during the first week of classes.
Yeah, that's about right. I think it was during orientation.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Sat May 21, 2011 4:26 pm

This year the deposit came in on the day between orientation and classes (Tuesday, Aug 30). For this reason, if you are capable of stashing away a good chunk of money for things you will need at the beginning of the semester, do so. I was too broke to buy anything on Amazon, which meant that I had to wait until loan money came in. At that point it was too late to buy online and I paid probably $100 extra or more to get everything at the NYU bookstore. That is lame.

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Sat May 21, 2011 4:37 pm

this is all good stuff

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Sat May 21, 2011 6:20 pm

clintonius wrote:This year the deposit came in on the day between orientation and classes (Tuesday, Aug 30). For this reason, if you are capable of stashing away a good chunk of money for things you will need at the beginning of the semester, do so. I was too broke to buy anything on Amazon, which meant that I had to wait until loan money came in. At that point it was too late to buy online and I paid probably $100 extra or more to get everything at the NYU bookstore. That is lame.
mmm im going to be in this boat it seems.

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Sat May 21, 2011 6:24 pm

do you guys ever have any compatibility issues using a mac for exams and such?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”