Oregon 1L offering his limited advice

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
usuaggie

Oregon 1L offering his limited advice

Postby usuaggie » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:35 pm

From Vegas, went to college in Utah, doing time at UO law. Ask me anything.

dood

Re: Oregon 1L offering his limited advice

Postby dood » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:42 pm

Last edited by dood on Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:47 pm

dood wrote:what is the best hotel in vegas besides the wynn?

Mandalay bay is my favorite, just for the pool. waves, real beach sand, awesomeness.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:02 pm

usuaggie wrote:From Vegas, went to college in Utah, doing time at UO law. Ask me anything.

This advice, it sounds not limited.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:44 am

prezidentv8 wrote:
usuaggie wrote:From Vegas, went to college in Utah, doing time at UO law. Ask me anything.

This advice, it sounds not limited.

my limits are boundless.

nphsbuckeye

Postby nphsbuckeye » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:56 pm

Do you know anyone doing a JD/MBA and of the program that I couldn't find on their website? Like, sweet inside info that if you're a JD student and "get this" GMAT score and you're in.

Oregon is a school that intrigues me because of its beautiful location, and a place I wouldn't mind call home (even though they're buried on my depth chart).

Have you seen their viewbook? Did they hire the National Geographic photo staff?

saltoftheearth

Postby saltoftheearth » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:57 pm

nphsbuckeye wrote:Do you know anyone doing a JD/MBA and of the program that I couldn't find on their website? Like, sweet inside info that if you're a JD student and "get this" GMAT score and you're in.

Oregon is a school that intrigues me because of its beautiful location, and a place I wouldn't mind call home (even though they're buried on my depth chart).

Have you seen their viewbook? Did they hire the National Geographic photo staff?

imo, L&C is prettier

nphsbuckeye

Postby nphsbuckeye » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:36 pm

saltoftheearth wrote:
nphsbuckeye wrote:Do you know anyone doing a JD/MBA and of the program that I couldn't find on their website? Like, sweet inside info that if you're a JD student and "get this" GMAT score and you're in.

imo, L&C is prettier

It does look nice. I'd like to get a JD/MBA, and I don't see L&C having that, so nice dice.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:52 pm

I don't know anybody doing both, but I know one person getting an MBA without a JD. I have friends that are getting a masters in dispute resolution along with a JD.

Sorry i can't help you out with the mba.

there is the LBA though (legal ballers association). And yes, their photos are great.

Oregon started out as my 7th choice, but became 2nd after my visit.

The White Flame

Postby The White Flame » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:56 pm

Do you think you will be able to find a job?

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:57 pm

The White Flame wrote:Do you think you will be able to find a job?

more than I thought I would before I started law school, for sure. The alumni here are really close to the school. they volunteer a lot at the law school and it allows you to make good connections. plus they actively seek people to apply for jobs. for example, the general manager of the portland trail blazers came and gave a presentation. he had the dean email everybody and say to bring a resume so he could collect them from anybody who would be interested in a summer internship.

eugene isn't huge, but it is okay sized and UO is the only law school in eugene. My friend works for the gov and gets to represent the government as counsel on his own (3L) against small ticketing claims. he gets paid for it, and will be a regular job (i think) once he graduates. One guy worked for nike. he wrote Gilbert Arenas a letter on their behalf and let him know nike was nixing his contract for all the trouble he got in. another friend clerked in Utah.

Oregon's name carries a lot of weight. I think it is because of the exposure of the name due to the football team. Everybody thinks oregon is a better school than it really is.

all of that said, the environment here is really laid back. 1L's apply for jobs in feb mostly and nobody is talking about them yet. there isn't a lot of competition going on between students, and i realize it isn't finals time yet, but even on the graded things we have so far, everybody helps everybody.

So yes, I think I can get a job. It might not be exactly what I'm looking for, but I don't see myself going unemployed as long as I don't bomb my classes.

Postby 005618502 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:47 pm

usuaggie wrote:

more than I thought I would before I started law school, for sure. The alumni here are really close to the school. they volunteer a lot at the law school and it allows you to make good connections. plus they actively seek people to apply for jobs. for example, the general manager of the portland trail blazers came and gave a presentation. he had the dean email everybody and say to bring a resume so he could collect them from anybody who would be interested in a summer internship.

eugene isn't huge, but it is okay sized and UO is the only law school in eugene. My friend works for the gov and gets to represent the government as counsel on his own (3L) against small ticketing claims. he gets paid for it, and will be a regular job (i think) once he graduates. One guy worked for nike. he wrote Gilbert Arenas a letter on their behalf and let him know nike was nixing his contract for all the trouble he got in. another friend clerked in Utah.

Oregon's name carries a lot of weight. I think it is because of the exposure of the name due to the football team. Everybody thinks oregon is a better school than it really is.

all of that said, the environment here is really laid back. 1L's apply for jobs in feb mostly and nobody is talking about them yet. there isn't a lot of competition going on between students, and i realize it isn't finals time yet, but even on the graded things we have so far, everybody helps everybody.

So yes, I think I can get a job. It might not be exactly what I'm looking for, but I don't see myself going unemployed as long as I don't bomb my classes.

Is biglaw not very prevalent there?

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:06 pm

How difficult will it be to find work in the Portland metro area? Does the school's reputation begin to wane at that distance?

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:06 pm

jt1341 wrote:
usuaggie wrote:

Is biglaw not very prevalent there?

most people aren't here to go into biglaw. they are here for public interest/hippie law. if you want to go into big law, there are schools with better placement (regionally) than oregon and better placement numbers.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:09 pm

JOThompson wrote:How difficult will it be to find work in the Portland metro area? Does the school's reputation begin to wane at that distance?

Not difficult (in relative terms, of course). portland shares 3 law schools (oregon, lc, willamette) but oregon is still very strong there. i'd say oregon and lc are on equal ground in portland and oregon has an upperhand in just about every other place south of portland. of course, that varies within firms. some firms seem to be almost all UO grads, some hardly have any.

Also, there is a UO campus in portland. you can internship there and take classes at the campus in the city. a lot of at least a few people do this for a semester.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:14 pm

usuaggie wrote:
JOThompson wrote:How difficult will it be to find work in the Portland metro area? Does the school's reputation begin to wane at that distance?

Not difficult (in relative terms, of course). portland shares 3 law schools (oregon, lc, willamette) but oregon is still very strong there. i'd say oregon and lc are on equal ground in portland and oregon has an upperhand in just about every other place south of portland. of course, that varies within firms. some firms seem to be almost all UO grads, some hardly have any.

Also, there is a UO campus in portland. you can internship there and take classes at the campus in the city. a lot of at least a few people do this for a semester.

Interesting. I didn't know about the campus in Portland. Wish I knew about that, as I could've saved some money by living at home for a term.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:26 pm

usuaggie wrote:hippie law

Does your school have a clinic for that?

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:12 am

romothesavior wrote:
usuaggie wrote:hippie law

Does your school have a clinic for that?

no, the system was keeping them down, man.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:21 am

Does Oregon have the best football team in the nation?

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:22 am

usuaggie wrote:Does Oregon have the best football team in the nation?

Yes.

Postby 005618502 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:45 am

usuaggie wrote:

Yes.

Wrong, though good, they are in the PAC 10 which is far less superior then many other conferences. They are definitely not the best team in the country. Oh and Boise State should be the lowest ranked undefeated team around

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:08 am

jt1341 wrote:
usuaggie wrote:

Yes.

Wrong, though good, they are in the PAC 10 which is far less superior then many other conferences. They are definitely not the best team in the country. Oh and Boise State should be the lowest ranked undefeated team around

by "many" I assume you mean 1.5, and by less superior, I assume you don't know the pac 10 is 10-4 against other bcs conferences.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:05 pm

here again. anybody else want some advice about the PNW or vegas or utah or school in general?

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:11 pm

oh so lonely.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:12 pm

I would ask you for advice, but you're a 1L.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”