W&L 1L taking questions.. Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
NJDevilsfan

New

Re: W&L 1L taking questions..

Post by NJDevilsfan » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:07 pm

Hello, thanks for answering our questions :)

I am interested in working in NY upon graduation. Does anyone have experience in searching for a job in the NY market? Also, how well does the Washington and Lee name carry past the Virginia area?

I know it is very likely that I change my mind many times over the next three years about where I want to work (and its very possible that I will take whatever I can get), but I would at least like to have this option open.

LBrown

New

Post by LBrown » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:52 pm

I have a question about job prospects in regards to Washington & Lee. At ASW many of the students I met held ties to a specific region or city (NJ, Chicago, etc.) and seemed to direct any job efforts towards living in that area. However, I have no desire to live in a particular area. Will this hurt me in my job search after graduating from W&L (which seems isolated and competes with several great law schools for VA jobs)?

Hopefully, my question is not confusing. I am just concerned about what school would place me in a better position to find a job.

Also, did any W&L students consider Wake Forest while choosing a law school? What made you choose W&L? I would appreciate your thoughts.

anjmissy

Bronze

Post by anjmissy » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:21 pm

LBrown wrote:I have a question about job prospects in regards to Washington & Lee. At ASW many of the students I met held ties to a specific region or city (NJ, Chicago, etc.) and seemed to direct any job efforts towards living in that area. However, I have no desire to live in a particular area. Will this hurt me in my job search after graduating from W&L (which seems isolated and competes with several great law schools for VA jobs)?

Hopefully, my question is not confusing. I am just concerned about what school would place me in a better position to find a job.

Also, did any W&L students consider Wake Forest while choosing a law school? What made you choose W&L? I would appreciate your thoughts.
i was also accepted to wake but decided on w&l because I am from richmond, va so w&l is closer to home and since i want to do public interest law in dc, i found that w&l had a better placement for that region

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:27 pm

LBrown wrote:I have a question about job prospects in regards to Washington & Lee. At ASW many of the students I met held ties to a specific region or city (NJ, Chicago, etc.) and seemed to direct any job efforts towards living in that area. However, I have no desire to live in a particular area. Will this hurt me in my job search after graduating from W&L (which seems isolated and competes with several great law schools for VA jobs)?

I have to echo this concern. I'm from Florida and don't want to live in Florida long-term, but my that's where my "ties" are. The MIL will likely move to Virginia or the Carolinas, so maybe that will constitute having family in the region and thus having ties. How will the lack of other ties to the region hurt my chances to find work in the Carolina/Virginia region? The wife is originally from there, and that's what motivates the move back, but I don't think that constitutes significant enough ties to satisfy potential employers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”