W&L 1L taking questions..

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
statuscheckerssuck

W&L 1L taking questions..

Postby statuscheckerssuck » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:22 pm

Ask away...

this will provide a convenient excuse for me to not do my reading :)

Bumi

Re: W&L 1L taking questions..

Postby Bumi » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:44 pm

How boring is Lexington so far? Who is there to socialize with over the age of 22 other than law students? (I realize this question would be better directed towards a 3L.)

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:52 pm

How bad is the job market for W&L grads? How many are employed by the school in research positions? How many employers visit for OCI

Ersatz Haderach

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:35 pm

Your favorite thing about W&L so far?

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:24 pm

Hopeful bump!

statuscheckerssuck

Postby statuscheckerssuck » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:37 pm

Bumi wrote:How boring is Lexington so far? Who is there to socialize with over the age of 22 other than law students? (I realize this question would be better directed towards a 3L.)

Sorry for the delayed response. I spend a lot less time during the weekends mindlessly surfing the internet.

I don't find Lexington boring at all. It is one of those places that your social life is going to be what you make of it. The school does a great job of planning some sort of fun event every weekend that basically everyone will show up to. These events usually include some sort of combination of free food and lots of free alcohol. For example, yesterday evening we had Oktoberfest on the law school patio with German food and seasonal beer. And of course there is also Law School Football League every Friday afternoon on the law school lawn.

There really are not that many people over the age of 22 to socialize with other than law students and their spouses/significant others (although I have actually become good friends with some of my classmates significant others). I really think the close knit community is what makes W&L great though. The 1L class as a whole gets along very well and it is a very collegial atmosphere. There is none of the competitiveness that you hear about at other schools.

Ersatz Haderach wrote:Your favorite thing about W&L so far?

See above.

MrAnon wrote:How bad is the job market for W&L grads? How many are employed by the school in research positions? How many employers visit for OCI

This really is a question better directed at a 3L or the admissions office because I have no idea.

brokenwindows

Postby brokenwindows » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:55 pm

Last edited by brokenwindows on Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

TyrodTaylor

Postby TyrodTaylor » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:46 am

ha, you may find better employment towards roanoke. Its not that far away.

weejonbu

Postby weejonbu » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:56 am

Can you comment at all on W&L's international programs/opportunities? Study abroad seems fairly limited to compared to other schools I'm interested in (which, granted, are ranked higher, so that's understandable). But W&L doesn't even have an international law journal (to my understanding). Comments?

WVUCelticFan

Postby WVUCelticFan » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:29 pm

weejonbu wrote:Can you comment at all on W&L's international programs/opportunities? Study abroad seems fairly limited to compared to other schools I'm interested in (which, granted, are ranked higher, so that's understandable). But W&L doesn't even have an international law journal (to my understanding). Comments?

Check out the German Law Journal

http://www.germanlawjournal.com/

Seems to focus on Germany and European issues, but may be what you are looking for.

statuscheckerssuck

Postby statuscheckerssuck » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:55 pm

WVUCelticFan wrote:
weejonbu wrote:Can you comment at all on W&L's international programs/opportunities? Study abroad seems fairly limited to compared to other schools I'm interested in (which, granted, are ranked higher, so that's understandable). But W&L doesn't even have an international law journal (to my understanding). Comments?

Check out the German Law Journal

http://www.germanlawjournal.com/

Seems to focus on Germany and European issues, but may be what you are looking for.

Yup, I would check out the european law journal, haven't had person experience yet as I am just a 1L. As someone that is very interest in international law I would say W&L has plenty of opportunities in that area. We have a very active international law club as well as a transnational law institute which manages the international law clinical programs that involve going abroad for a few weeks. I also have several friends who have been placed in summer internship programs abroad at very cool organizations solely based on a contact made by a professor at the school.

statuscheckerssuck

Postby statuscheckerssuck » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:56 pm

TyrodTaylor wrote:ha, you may find better employment towards roanoke. Its not that far away.

Roanoke, Lyncburg, and Staunton are all driveable. And if you are really open to a treck, there is alway CVille.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:06 am

What made you decide to choose W&L? Where are the best apartments for law students? Are the intramural sports awesome?

statuscheckerssuck

Postby statuscheckerssuck » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:19 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:What made you decide to choose W&L? Where are the best apartments for law students? Are the intramural sports awesome?

I chose W&L because when I came to visit, it just felt right. I know that is a very wishy washy answer, but it's the truth. If you wanna know why I am STILL happy I chose W&L, the answer would be the atmosphere and the people. The whole community is very collegial and welcoming, and I love my classmates, which is saying something this far into the school year.

There is only really two apartment "complexes," the one on campus, and borden commons, neither of which are great. The best places are found just through looking around/ through realtors, but the upside is rent is really cheap.

And yes, to answer your question, the intramural sports are fucking awesome. I am sure you have heard about the glory that is LSFL, but floor hockey is great too. We are coming up on the end of the season right now and it has been a great time, although our record isn't much to brag about.

Autoaccept

Postby Autoaccept » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:24 pm

What goes on in Lexington besides W&L? Is there some sort of downtown area with restaurants/bars?

statuscheckerssuck

Postby statuscheckerssuck » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:16 pm

Autoaccept wrote:What goes on in Lexington besides W&L? Is there some sort of downtown area with restaurants/bars?

We only really have two bars, both downtown, there are plenty of good restaurants though. It is actually kind of nice, it is less distracting, and when you decide you want to go out (which in most of my classmates cases, is quite a lot), there isn't the added stress of trying to figure out what you and all your friends are doing. Everyone pretty much ends up at the same place.

And right now, I have two epic words for you, Feb. Club.

PresMacAllen

Postby PresMacAllen » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:39 pm

Hi! Thanks for taking questions. :) I just wanted to know a couple of things:

1. what's the political climate like at w&l? Is the student body like 50-50 liberal/conservative?
2. Is there a good percentage of the 1L class that has secured summer associate positions?

yinz

Postby yinz » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:24 pm

PresMacAllen wrote:Hi! Thanks for taking questions. :) I just wanted to know a couple of things:

1. what's the political climate like at w&l? Is the student body like 50-50 liberal/conservative?
2. Is there a good percentage of the 1L class that has secured summer associate positions?

Hope OP doesn't mind, but I'll give you my take:

1. I'd say it's pretty even, if leaning slightly right. Unless you really make it a point to seek it out, though, politics takes a trunk seat to: discussing work/assignments/professors, what's for lunch at the brief stop, and gossip.

2. Define "good." Most 1Ls don't have a SA position for this summer, if that's what you are asking. The statistics that OCP provided on the previous 1L summer put SA positions around 10%. However, I will say this: W&L is one of the few schools out there that is candid about its student and graduate employment statistics: http://law.wlu.edu/admissions/page.asp?pageid=1158.

Feel free to ask other W&L-related questions.

PresMacAllen

Postby PresMacAllen » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:45 am

yinz wrote:
PresMacAllen wrote:Hi! Thanks for taking questions. :) I just wanted to know a couple of things:

Hope OP doesn't mind, but I'll give you my take:

1. I'd say it's pretty even, if leaning slightly right. Unless you really make it a point to seek it out, though, politics takes a trunk seat to: discussing work/assignments/professors, what's for lunch at the brief stop, and gossip.

2. Define "good." Most 1Ls don't have a SA position for this summer, if that's what you are asking. The statistics that OCP provided on the previous 1L summer put SA positions around 10%. However, I will say this: W&L is one of the few schools out there that is candid about its student and graduate employment statistics: http://law.wlu.edu/admissions/page.asp?pageid=1158.

Feel free to ask other W&L-related questions.

Thanks for your prompt reply. :)
I have another question: Has anyone applied ED to W&L? and if so, how long does it usually take to render a decision? I know UVA promises a decision with 15 days. Thanks.

arigoldwannabe

Postby arigoldwannabe » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:33 pm

I have an interesting question...Im a newly minted 1L at a fellow T1 school. My torts professor taught at W & L from '09 - '11. I was wondering if anyone from W&L would possibly have an old outline from his/her class.

I know this is somewhat of a random question/request, but I thought TLS would be the place to come for the best response. Id rather not name the profs. name, so pm me if you willing to help.

Thanks

llachans

Postby llachans » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:55 pm

I know you mentioned that the politics are leaning right. Is the campus/surrounding area LGBT friendly?

vissidarte27

Postby vissidarte27 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:46 pm

llachans wrote:I know you mentioned that the politics are leaning right. Is the campus/surrounding area LGBT friendly?

+1

Also, how is the housing market in Lexington? If my partner and I were thinking about buying a house, would we find anything decent? Also, what do apartments/rental houses typically run?

dlpelletier

Postby dlpelletier » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:53 pm

As for the LGBT community I can't speak from personal experience I am not a member but there is an active organization http://law.wlu.edu/outlaw/
It is SouthWest VA though so I am not sure how the local community at least the small Lexington community handles/deals.

Housing there is a ton, ranges from 500 to 1800 depending what you are looking for. I am in a 2 bedroom with a good size living area and kitchen as well as W/D and pay under $700. The town and housing is dated for sure but there are I think a few newer town home communities, Pikes Place I believe.

llachans

Postby llachans » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:54 pm

Alright, thanks!

More questions:
- How competitive do students tend to be?
- Is it easy to come across internships as a 2L?
- How is job placement as far as with a DA goes?

dlpelletier

Postby dlpelletier » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:20 pm

As a 1L only a few months in I can't speak to the last two questions, out interaction with the Office of Career Planning (OCP) is restricted until 1 Nov. as per ABA requirements. I will say it seems that one of the benefits of being a much smaller school is that while their are fewer alumni they are much more responsive in regards to guidance and job opportunities.

That also speaks to your first question. The nature of law school is that it is competitive in its nature, and my class certainly has its fair share of highly capable people to from which the curve will be set. That being said we are not out hiding books in the library, I haven't seen nor heard of any malicious actions to ensure personal success or being above the curve. For the most part students are cooperative and willing to help (with in the contexts of what is allowed by the Honor System here at W&L. Something if you are not familiar with can be strikingly different from Honor Codes of which more people are familiar.)

Not sure if that is what you are looking for, feel free to ask more follow up Q's or pm me. And as is probably apparent by my SN I don't have any expectation of anonymity here so take that also for what it is worth.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”