Loyola Law School - Los Angeles 3L, Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
NoleinNY
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: Loyola Law School - Los Angeles 1L, Taking Questions

Postby NoleinNY » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:42 pm

Yes, there is. During non-exam times, the basement and second/third floor (of the Darling Pavilion/Cassassa [sic] Building annex are pretty damn quiet and non-distracting. Depending on the time of day, the first floor gets an average amount of traffic. During exams, I recommend the top floors of Cassassa (4/5). They are only accessible by elevator and are rarely used except by people who want to find, say, a hardcopy version of the 1923 YLJ; 2Ls/3Ls/LR Members also tend to use that place to study (and my research professor half-jokingly said that being loud/distracting there is grounds for being brutally maimed or killed by studying upperclassmen.

Even during exams, though, the second floor of the main building, second/third of Darling, and the basement can be non-distracting, it's just a matter of finding a space to study. You will see/hear distractions the closer you are to the doors and study rooms (where people are free to talk at normal volume; it's not that loud, but can be annoying if you lack earplugs and are easily distracted).

One Caveat: Occasionally, on certain sundays, an ethnic church nearby has bands playing on loud speakers. Thankfully, you only hear them play if you are on the north side of the library. Did I mention free quasi-unlimited earplugs are offered at the front desk?(quasi-unlimited in that you can grab as many as you want, but on heavy days they can run out so it is first come first serve)

originalmutt
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:55 pm

Re: Loyola Law School - Los Angeles 1L, Taking Questions

Postby originalmutt » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:19 pm

Anyone know whether Loyola is aggressive in terms of trying to match/beat scholly offers from Pepperdine? What other schools does Loyola consider to be its peers?

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Loyola Law School - Los Angeles 1L, Taking Questions

Postby Danteshek » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:03 pm

originalmutt wrote:Anyone know whether Loyola is aggressive in terms of trying to match/beat scholly offers from Pepperdine? What other schools does Loyola consider to be its peers?


Doubt it. LLS seems to have a fairly rigid formula with scholarships, which is the way it should be.

User avatar
NoleinNY
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: Loyola Law School - Los Angeles 1L, Taking Questions

Postby NoleinNY » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:41 am

Danteshek wrote:
originalmutt wrote:Anyone know whether Loyola is aggressive in terms of trying to match/beat scholly offers from Pepperdine? What other schools does Loyola consider to be its peers?


Doubt it. LLS seems to have a fairly rigid formula with scholarships, which is the way it should be.


This. As for schools Loyola considers it peers, it depends on who you talk to, and in what areas. Generally, Pepperdine, though obviously we see ourselves as slightly better (although Pepperdine's views of the Malibu beach are legit...) My torts professor, based off practice and knowing litigators, would have you believe LLS ought to be a T30. He is also very proud that we beat UCLA in the bar passage rates this year. Obvious bias from him, but whatever. The message from the Dean seems to be T50 in the next 5 years. 40-50 sounds fairly realistic.

User avatar
Judge Philip Banks
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:21 pm

Re: Loyola Law School - Los Angeles 1L, Taking Questions

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:26 am

NoleinNY wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
originalmutt wrote:Anyone know whether Loyola is aggressive in terms of trying to match/beat scholly offers from Pepperdine? What other schools does Loyola consider to be its peers?


Doubt it. LLS seems to have a fairly rigid formula with scholarships, which is the way it should be.


This. As for schools Loyola considers it peers, it depends on who you talk to, and in what areas. Generally, Pepperdine, though obviously we see ourselves as slightly better (although Pepperdine's views of the Malibu beach are legit...) My torts professor, based off practice and knowing litigators, would have you believe LLS ought to be a T30. He is also very proud that we beat UCLA in the bar passage rates this year. Obvious bias from him, but whatever. The message from the Dean seems to be T50 in the next 5 years. 40-50 sounds fairly realistic.

Do you think LLS officially moving into the first tier would make a difference in... well... anything really? (i.e. job prospects, admissions, etc.)

RedItalus10
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: Loyola Law School - Los Angeles 1L, Taking Questions

Postby RedItalus10 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:31 am

What are the summer internships and post-law school job yields for LLS grads? I know I want to practice in LA, but Im kinda in that limbo area. 166/3.7 Already got rejected from UCLA, got into Loyola with scholly, and waiting/hoping/praying for USC haha. How do you like Loyola? What are the chances of landing a firm job? top 10% or closer to top 5% of class? Thanks for the advice!!

User avatar
NoleinNY
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: Loyola Law School - Los Angeles 1L, Taking Questions

Postby NoleinNY » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:43 am

EDIT: Double post, whoops.
Last edited by NoleinNY on Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
NoleinNY
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: Loyola Law School - Los Angeles 1L, Taking Questions

Postby NoleinNY » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:59 am

Judge Philip Banks wrote:
NoleinNY wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
originalmutt wrote:Anyone know whether Loyola is aggressive in terms of trying to match/beat scholly offers from Pepperdine? What other schools does Loyola consider to be its peers?


Doubt it. LLS seems to have a fairly rigid formula with scholarships, which is the way it should be.


This. As for schools Loyola considers it peers, it depends on who you talk to, and in what areas. Generally, Pepperdine, though obviously we see ourselves as slightly better (although Pepperdine's views of the Malibu beach are legit...) My torts professor, based off practice and knowing litigators, would have you believe LLS ought to be a T30. He is also very proud that we beat UCLA in the bar passage rates this year. Obvious bias from him, but whatever. The message from the Dean seems to be T50 in the next 5 years. 40-50 sounds fairly realistic.

Do you think LLS officially moving into the first tier would make a difference in... well... anything really? (i.e. job prospects, admissions, etc.)


In the grand scheme of things? Not a whole lot, though I guess it's one of those "every bit counts sort of things." Besides, why does any school really try to move up in the ranks?

Also, to clarify, I was talking about the perception of the school wanting to continue that upward trend and not operational directive #1 of the administration.

RedItalus10 wrote:What are the summer internships and post-law school job yields for LLS grads? I know I want to practice in LA, but Im kinda in that limbo area. 166/3.7 Already got rejected from UCLA, got into Loyola with scholly, and waiting/hoping/praying for USC haha. How do you like Loyola? What are the chances of landing a firm job? top 10% or closer to top 5% of class? Thanks for the advice!!


Pretty much answered the subjective stuff (how do you like LLS) earlier.

Higher up the rank, the better, obviously. Don't know the class of 10's numbers yet, but class of '09 had 74 people at firms of more than 100+ people; out of a graduating class of 396 people, that works out to be 18.6%. Number of people who got jobs through OCI is at 60 people or approximately 15% of the class. 12 people doing judicial clerkships. This obviously says little about what % you need, because it doesn't factor interviewing, luck, LR, networking skills, etc. If I had to guess, top 15% gets a pretty good shot.

If you want to know more, here you go; new numbers should be coming in in the coming months.

http://intranet.lls.edu/careerservices/ ... tstats.pdf

Edit: there is a post floating around the forums that I am too lazy to find that compiled list of new grads at LA big law and LLS ranked like 3rd in top placement (ahead of a lot of big hitters, which is probably a function of self-selection but w/e).

User avatar
Judge Philip Banks
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:21 pm

Re: Loyola Law School - Los Angeles 1L, Taking Questions

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:53 am

Apologies of you don't want to answer this, but I'm curious what you are planning on doing for a 1L summer job? Where have you begun to apply or are planning on applying to? What, ideally, would you want to do this upcoming summer? (just trying to get a current 1L's experiences in the job hunt.)

User avatar
NoleinNY
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: Loyola Law School - Los Angeles 1L, Taking Questions

Postby NoleinNY » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:54 am

I know a few people with judicial internships, a few working at firms, etc. A lot of people are still searching. One friend was recommended to a firm from a professor. Etc. I would like to try and RA; also been sending stuff to family friends in the area who know people, so we'll see. Fingers crossed. WIll probably give a vague update on my hunt once I've secured something.

originalmutt
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:55 pm

Re: Loyola Law School - Los Angeles 1L, Taking Questions

Postby originalmutt » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:50 pm

Are there many people who live downtown and attend Loyola? I live in Hollywood and would probably stay there, but if I could find an affordable, non-ghetto place downtown that would be awesome.

User avatar
NoleinNY
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: Loyola Law School - Los Angeles 1L, Taking Questions

Postby NoleinNY » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:14 pm

Eh. Depends on how you define "affordable" and "non-ghetto." A number of people live near the school, either in Koreatown, the Medici (which is a semi-upscale apartment complex next to the 110). A few also live in MacArthur park, but that place is hood. I'm sure if you searched enough, you can find something "reasonable" downtown... By an large, however, people are spread out across the Southland area, from Pasadena to Huntington Beach and everywhere in between. Some of these people, especially a few in H-wood, the Valley, etc. take the train to downtown where a school shuttle takes them to campus.

[Side Note: I didn't search that extensively for apartments near school, so I don't have a full and accurate picture of housing beyond anecdotal evidence. The closest I looked (that wasn't the Medici) was in Loz Feliz/Silver Lake). I'm sure you can get a good deal there that doesn't have "steal my car stereo" written all over it, but the particular apartment I looked at did...]

Honestly, I don't think living Downtown is crucial. If where you live currently is an easy commute, comfortable and affordable, then I personally wouldn't move unless I found a really sweet deal. Is your family in Hollywood or are you just living there on your own/with roommate? You don't need to answer that; just something to think about. If it is with family, then you may want to consider weighing the money saved living there versus less distractions, etc. Maybe it pays to stay; maybe not.

User avatar
Judge Philip Banks
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:21 pm

Re: Loyola Law School - Los Angeles 1L, Taking Questions

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:15 pm

I'm not sure if this is a question specific to LLS, or to federal financial aid in general, but do you know if financial aid awards cover summers? For example, if one wants to move to the LA area a few weeks before classes begin, would financial aid cover this? Does financial aid cover 1L and 2L summers' living expenses, as well?

I apologize if the answer to this isn't actually specific to just LLS, but rather to any federal aid...

jarofsoup
Posts: 1951
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Loyola Law School - Los Angeles 1L, Taking Questions

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:18 pm

Can graduates find work in Northern California?

User avatar
NoleinNY
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: Loyola Law School - Los Angeles 1L, Taking Questions

Postby NoleinNY » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:59 pm

Judge Philip Banks wrote:I'm not sure if this is a question specific to LLS, or to federal financial aid in general, but do you know if financial aid awards cover summers? For example, if one wants to move to the LA area a few weeks before classes begin, would financial aid cover this? Does financial aid cover 1L and 2L summers' living expenses, as well?

I apologize if the answer to this isn't actually specific to just LLS, but rather to any federal aid...

I've been able to survive off my Fin Aid so far, but in the likely event that the only internship I can find this summer is unpaid, I will likely have to take on a part time job to cover rent, etc; I am also trying to save as much money as possible to stretch my budget.

In my experience, financial aid will not disburse in time for your move to LA; you will need to have enough funds for rent and books beforehand and pay yourself back with your $$$; you MAY be able to get a 1000 advance, but I am not 100% or even 60% sure. I am not qualified to tell you with certainty; a fin aid rep would be.

jarofsoup wrote:Can graduates find work in Northern California?


Off the top of my head, I don't know. If I had to take a guess, I'd say it is probably harder unless you have ties to the area. I would imagine out of self selection, etc., most people who come down here do so because they want to work in So Cal...

Here's a quick illustration of the distribution Loyolans working in So Cal vs Nor Cal (For convenience, I only used San Fran, Oakland, and Sacramento as the search cities for Nor Cal and LA + SD for So Cal.)

Nor Cal
http://californiabar.globl.org/results. ... d=&status=

So Cal
http://californiabar.globl.org/results. ... ergrad=&s=

As you can see, there about 2/25 the number of LLS alums practicing in Nor Cal than So Cal.
Last edited by NoleinNY on Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Judge Philip Banks
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:21 pm

Re: Loyola Law School - Los Angeles 1L, Taking Questions

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:33 pm

How does LLS disburse the funds for financial aid? Is it one lump sum to the student who then allocates accordingly (i.e. tuition, books, living expenses, etc.)? Do they (LLS) get paid for tuition directly by the feds, and the only funds the student sees are those associated with cost of living, etc.?

[edited for clarity.]

User avatar
NoleinNY
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: Loyola Law School - Los Angeles 1L, Taking Questions

Postby NoleinNY » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:36 pm

Judge Philip Banks wrote:How does LLS disburse the funds for financial aid? Is it one lump sum to the student who then allocates accordingly (i.e. tuition, books, living expenses, etc.)? Do they (LLS) get paid for tuition directly by the feds, and the only funds the student sees are those associated with cost of living, etc.?

[edited for clarity.]


Assuming they are only federal loans, they get disbursed directly to the school, who send the money your way. You can opt either for a check or direct deposit; it is in the form of a lump sum. How much the government pays them depends on whether you have a scholarship since the school is covering that (duh); how much you get as depends on how much loan money you take out. You do not need to take out full living expenses as you choose. Yes, the only $$ you personally see is associated with cost of living. You choose how to spend the money once you get it. You can be as responsible or irresponsible as you wish with that money. I advise the former.

User avatar
Judge Philip Banks
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:21 pm

Re: Loyola Law School - Los Angeles 1L, Taking Questions

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:59 pm

NoleinNY wrote:You can be as responsible or irresponsible as you wish with that money. I advise the former.

Haha - I shall heed your sound advice.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Loyola Law School - Los Angeles 1L, Taking Questions

Postby Danteshek » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:24 pm

jarofsoup wrote:Can graduates find work in Northern California?


Can you find a job in Northern California if you go to Loyola? If you are lazy, definitely not. If you are willing to hit the pavement and not give up, probably. If you limit your search to large firms in San Francisco, probably not.

User avatar
Judge Philip Banks
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:21 pm

Re: Loyola Law School - Los Angeles 1L, Taking Questions

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:13 am

NoleinNY-

Will you be participating in the upcoming Spring OCI? If you are participating, and since bidding is over, have you found out what firms you will be interviewing with yet? Are there even a good number of firms seeking 1Ls at LLS Spring OCI? Would it even be useful to a 1L in getting a job, especially if someone isn't near the top of their class (outside of Spring OCI's usefulness as a learning experience to make the most out of Fall OCI)?

Sorry for all the questions... These are just a few things that remained somewhat unclear after looking through the LLS website and Spring 2011 OCI Guide.

Thanks.

User avatar
NoleinNY
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: Loyola Law School - Los Angeles 1L, Taking Questions

Postby NoleinNY » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:35 am

Judge Philip Banks wrote:NoleinNY-

Will you be participating in the upcoming Spring OCI? If you are participating, and since bidding is over, have you found out what firms you will be interviewing with yet? Are there even a good number of firms seeking 1Ls at LLS Spring OCI? Would it even be useful to a 1L in getting a job, especially if someone isn't near the top of their class (outside of Spring OCI's usefulness as a learning experience to make the most out of Fall OCI)?

Sorry for all the questions... These are just a few things that remained somewhat unclear after looking through the LLS website and Spring 2011 OCI Guide.

Thanks.


Don't apologize for non-redundant questions. After all, this is a Q&A thread.

I am not participating and don't know people who have (or if they are, they haven't told me). I may sign up for a few resume drops that have had their hours extended, but that's it. The number of organizations participating is alright, nothing mind blowing. IIRC, most are PI-type organizations with a handful of actual firms and companies like NBC universal and So Cal Edison.

I imagine anything that helps your job search is useful, even if it just gives you practice. I have something lined up that may or may not end up being paid. If it is, great. If not, I'll be allowed to split my time between that and a part time job. I also plan on approaching these two professors of mine and see if either needs research assistants; one has spoken very highly of me a few times and the other has research in an area I'm interested in and is an overall cool guy, so we'll see. The best case scenario would be RA+Lined Up Job, so I get two lines of legal experience on my resume and maybe be able to pay my rent...

User avatar
Judge Philip Banks
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:21 pm

Re: Loyola Law School - Los Angeles 1L, Taking Questions

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:20 am

NoleinNY wrote:
Judge Philip Banks wrote:NoleinNY-

Will you be participating in the upcoming Spring OCI? If you are participating, and since bidding is over, have you found out what firms you will be interviewing with yet? Are there even a good number of firms seeking 1Ls at LLS Spring OCI? Would it even be useful to a 1L in getting a job, especially if someone isn't near the top of their class (outside of Spring OCI's usefulness as a learning experience to make the most out of Fall OCI)?

Sorry for all the questions... These are just a few things that remained somewhat unclear after looking through the LLS website and Spring 2011 OCI Guide.

Thanks.


Don't apologize for non-redundant questions. After all, this is a Q&A thread.

I am not participating and don't know people who have (or if they are, they haven't told me). I may sign up for a few resume drops that have had their hours extended, but that's it. The number of organizations participating is alright, nothing mind blowing. IIRC, most are PI-type organizations with a handful of actual firms and companies like NBC universal and So Cal Edison.

I imagine anything that helps your job search is useful, even if it just gives you practice. I have something lined up that may or may not end up being paid. If it is, great. If not, I'll be allowed to split my time between that and a part time job. I also plan on approaching these two professors of mine and see if either needs research assistants; one has spoken very highly of me a few times and the other has research in an area I'm interested in and is an overall cool guy, so we'll see. The best case scenario would be RA+Lined Up Job, so I get two lines of legal experience on my resume and maybe be able to pay my rent...

It's awesome you already have something lined up. I imagine you are probably ahead of the game then.

You would be able to split your summer between your lined-up job and RA for a prof? Also, what do you generally do as an RA? Probably just depends on what the particular prof is working on and needs, I guess?

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Loyola Law School - Los Angeles 1L, Taking Questions

Postby Danteshek » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:23 am

Nole, if you are doing an RA, I would try to see if you can get that professor to help you write an article this summer. Would be a good use of your time. You could submit to a writing competition and make real money. And it could be the basis of your law review note.

Which professor, btw?

User avatar
NoleinNY
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: Loyola Law School - Los Angeles 1L, Taking Questions

Postby NoleinNY » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:53 am

Judge Philip Banks wrote:
NoleinNY wrote:
Judge Philip Banks wrote:NoleinNY-

Will you be participating in the upcoming Spring OCI? If you are participating, and since bidding is over, have you found out what firms you will be interviewing with yet? Are there even a good number of firms seeking 1Ls at LLS Spring OCI? Would it even be useful to a 1L in getting a job, especially if someone isn't near the top of their class (outside of Spring OCI's usefulness as a learning experience to make the most out of Fall OCI)?

Sorry for all the questions... These are just a few things that remained somewhat unclear after looking through the LLS website and Spring 2011 OCI Guide.

Thanks.


Don't apologize for non-redundant questions. After all, this is a Q&A thread.

I am not participating and don't know people who have (or if they are, they haven't told me). I may sign up for a few resume drops that have had their hours extended, but that's it. The number of organizations participating is alright, nothing mind blowing. IIRC, most are PI-type organizations with a handful of actual firms and companies like NBC universal and So Cal Edison.

I imagine anything that helps your job search is useful, even if it just gives you practice. I have something lined up that may or may not end up being paid. If it is, great. If not, I'll be allowed to split my time between that and a part time job. I also plan on approaching these two professors of mine and see if either needs research assistants; one has spoken very highly of me a few times and the other has research in an area I'm interested in and is an overall cool guy, so we'll see. The best case scenario would be RA+Lined Up Job, so I get two lines of legal experience on my resume and maybe be able to pay my rent...

It's awesome you already have something lined up. I imagine you are probably ahead of the game then.

You would be able to split your summer between your lined-up job and RA for a prof? Also, what do you generally do as an RA? Probably just depends on what the particular prof is working on and needs, I guess?


I wouldn't say I was ahead of the game; I got the gig through a family friend connection. Got to work those contacts if you've got them!

The firm I'd work for is willing to be very flexible, so it really comes down to getting that RA job to begin with and seeing how that can get worked out. From what I've heard, the responsibilities and workload vary from prof to prof.

Danteshek wrote:Nole, if you are doing an RA, I would try to see if you can get that professor to help you write an article this summer. Would be a good use of your time. You could submit to a writing competition and make real money. And it could be the basis of your law review note.

Which professor, btw?


I'll look into that, thanks. Going to ask Nockleby and Schechter and see what happens.

User avatar
Judge Philip Banks
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:21 pm

Re: Loyola Law School - Los Angeles 1L, Taking Questions

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:48 am

So it looks like membership on the Loyola Law Review is based purely on the write-on competition in May, and has nothing to do with grades. Is this correct?

Nole - are you planning on participating in the write-on competition for the LLR?

and

Danteshek - how did it work with you transferring (if I read your previous posts correctly) and getting onto law review (since the write-on competition is in May)?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests