Loyola Law School - Los Angeles 3L, Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Re: Loyola Law School - Los Angeles 1L, Taking Questions

Postby 071816 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:35 pm

Last edited by 071816 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

LockBox

Postby LockBox » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:21 pm

NoleinNY wrote:
LockBox wrote:I'm not sure if this has been addressed/discussed in this thread yet, but I was wondering how students pursuing intellectual property/patent law do at Loyola? Do any of the current students know others emphasizing this route? Any feedback would be appreciated.

I know a few people looking into IP/Patent, but they're 1Ls. They're just trying to do well in school, going to networking events, and I think one of them is going to be working for a firm that has a decent IP practice (it's not a biglaw firm to my knowledge). Perusing a few firm websites, I've come across recent LLS grads working in IP and they all seemed to have some sort of work experience before hand. I know this is all completely unhelpful, but that's all I know. Sorry. :(

What kind of background do you have? Work experience, degree, etc.

No no, any info is appreciated. I have a B.S. in Chemistry and about 5 years w/e as a chemist in industry. I also started a Ph.D in physics before leaving due to extenuating circumstances. Just waiting to hear from Loyola now and considering what my prospects of going into patent/IP law from a school like Loyola would be. Thanks for the info...

Judge Philip Banks

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:38 am

After attending preview day yesterday and meeting some great people, I was wondering if we don't end up in the same section next year, will I even really ever interact with them? How much of your circle of friends is made up of your section-mates? Do you interact with people outside of your section socially (e.g., outside of student organizations and such)? Also, are you split up into your sections for orientation? Or do you make friends with people outside of your section then? It seems the LLS student community is pretty tight-knit overall, but it also seems that most people stick with their own sections and do not branch out too much.

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:12 pm

Generally, you will mostly interact with your own section. I have a number of close friends outside my section; my roommate is in another section, which helps meet other people. Plus, you can always meet people and form friendships outside your section by joining student organizations, going to school-wide events, or even just striking up conversations in the cafeteria.

Poppycock

Postby Poppycock » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:40 am

Anybody from Loyola have Lash for ConLaw? He's at my school this semester for the first time so he has no exams available. If anybody's willing to share it would be greatly appreciated. Preferably old exams but even an outline from his class would help. PM me. Thanks in advance.

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:26 pm

Sorry, I'm only a 1L (and thus never had him) and DanteShek is a transfer who did 1L at Southwestern. But if anyone reading this did, please PM Poppycock (btw, dude/dudette, great name)

greg737

Postby greg737 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:36 pm

How is the faculty at Loyola? Are they open to speaking with students and forming relationships? I think from what I've gathered is the faculty here are significantly less prestigious than those at Irvine, UCLA and USC.

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:40 am

The faculty are extremely open and willing to form relationships. I haven't had one professor that I think wouldn't go to bat for any of us. My legal research professor gave us his cell phone # in case we had questions; my torts professor has helped 5 of my friends find summer jobs. I've had professors who were willing to sit and talk with me about non-class issues that I was dealing with, including a family legal issue (I wasn't asking for legal advice specifically, just discussing it) and a personal health issue of mine. Etc. My criminal law professor, after I asked her about how to beef up my resume for criminal litigation (either prosecution or defense) and she put me at the top of her list when it came time to answer questions about our Byrne Trial Advocacy team; I'm pretty sure my legal writing professor put in a recommendation to the director of the trial ad team to invite me to try out. Etc.

Myself and my roommate's professors' Class, Alma Mater, and background:
Me:
Tort-HLS-Civil rights attorney, extensively published, runs clinic for journalists
K-SLS-BigLaw, DOJ and FTC work, policy submission to fed gov on mortgage crisis, frequent commentator
Con-LLS-Clerked for SCOTUS justice, co-authored ConLaw E&E and a Civ Pro textbook
Prop-SLS, Fellow at UCLA for environmental policy (you may notice 2 property profs on the list; this one had to take a leave)
CP-GT - Cal Community Property E&E author
Prop-UCLA-Nationwide expert witness on commercial real estate finance, drafted anti-fraud act passed by CA state gov't
Crim-USC, highest in her class, BigLaw crim lit
LW-GT-BigLaw

Roommate:
Prop-HLS-(all I know about him is he was phi beta kappa at Harvard UG and is an expert on taxes and future interests)
Crim -UCLA - Laurie Levenson, author of half the crim law stuff you study from, frequent talking head on TV
Civ-UMich - BigLaw litigator; ACLU work
LW-UCB-represented ACLU in front of SCOTUS, did BigLaw litigation, etc.
k-UCLA - coauthored textbook on sales, has big law and corporate experience
Tort-SLS - extensively published anti-human-trafficking advocate, appointed by state to combat human trafficking

I don't feel like I'm missing out on quality professors.

powerlawyer06

Postby powerlawyer06 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:51 am

NoleinNY wrote:The faculty are extremely open and willing to form relationships. I haven't had one professor that I think wouldn't go to bat for any of us. My legal research professor gave us his cell phone # in case we had questions; my torts professor has helped 5 of my friends find summer jobs. I've had professors who were willing to sit and talk with me about non-class issues that I was dealing with, including a family legal issue (I wasn't asking for legal advice specifically, just discussing it) and a personal health issue of mine. Etc. My criminal law professor, after I asked her about how to beef up my resume for criminal litigation (either prosecution or defense) and she put me at the top of her list when it came time to answer questions about our Byrne Trial Advocacy team; I'm pretty sure my legal writing professor put in a recommendation to the director of the trial ad team to invite me to try out. Etc.

Me:
Tort-HLS-Civil rights attorney, extensively published, runs clinic for journalists
K-SLS-BigLaw, DOJ and FTC work, policy submission to fed gov on mortgage crisis, frequent commentator
Con-LLS-Clerked for SCOTUS justice, co-authored ConLaw E&E and a Civ Pro textbook
Prop-SLS, Fellow at UCLA for environmental policy (you may notice 2 property profs on the list; this one had to take a leave)
Prop-UCLA-Nationwide expert witness on commercial real estate finance, drafted anti-fraud act passed by CA state gov't
LW-GT-BigLaw

Roommate:
Prop-HLS-(all I know about him is he was phi beta kappa at Harvard UG and is an expert on taxes and future interests)
Crim -UCLA - Laurie Levenson, author of half the crim law stuff you study from, frequent talking head on TV
Tort-SLS - extensively published anti-human-trafficking advocate, appointed by state to combat human trafficking

This list is impressive. Especially if they are as accessible and helpful as you described above.

For the record I am not attending LLS since I already committed to UCB.

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:32 am

powerlawyer06 wrote:
NoleinNY wrote:The faculty are extremely open and willing to form relationships. I haven't had one professor that I think wouldn't go to bat for any of us. My legal research professor gave us his cell phone # in case we had questions; my torts professor has helped 5 of my friends find summer jobs. I've had professors who were willing to sit and talk with me about non-class issues that I was dealing with, including a family legal issue (I wasn't asking for legal advice specifically, just discussing it) and a personal health issue of mine. Etc. My criminal law professor, after I asked her about how to beef up my resume for criminal litigation (either prosecution or defense) and she put me at the top of her list when it came time to answer questions about our Byrne Trial Advocacy team; I'm pretty sure my legal writing professor put in a recommendation to the director of the trial ad team to invite me to try out. Etc.

Me:
LW-GT-BigLaw

Roommate:

This list is impressive. Especially if they are as accessible and helpful as you described above.

For the record I am not attending LLS since I already committed to UCB.

Fair enough. Congratulations and I wish you luck.

stowhat

Postby stowhat » Tue May 03, 2011 11:54 am

I was talking to a current student who mentioned in passing that all exams are closed book. Is this true? And if so, do you feel this policy will be beneficial to you in the long run (i.e. when you take the bar)?

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Tue May 03, 2011 1:53 pm

stowhat wrote:I was talking to a current student who mentioned in passing that all exams are closed book. Is this true? And if so, do you feel this policy will be beneficial to you in the long run (i.e. when you take the bar)?

I discussed this earlier in the thread... Yes, they are closed book. Yes I do, think it is marginally beneficial in the long run for the bar. My Torts professor loved to tout how we beat UCLA in bar passage rates this year and attributed this to our closed book policy.

My opinion is that I've spent the last 16 years of my life in school and 95% of the time our tests were closed book / closed note. Yes, law school exams are a different format than those tests (usually a long form essay) but the idea of memorizing this stuff isn't terribly foreign.

stowhat

Postby stowhat » Tue May 03, 2011 1:58 pm

Thank you! I should've read through the thread closer before asking. I hope this policy will work to my advantage - I always found open book exams more difficult than closed book exams in undergrad.

seaguy2010

Postby seaguy2010 » Tue May 03, 2011 7:19 pm

What are the employment prospects for Loyola grads? Are you guys finding that the employment reports are fairly accurate (I know there has been some question of whether the numbers reported from law schools are representative) ? And what are the opportunities available for 1L students during the summer that you've seen?

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Wed May 04, 2011 1:37 am

seaguy2010 wrote:What are the employment prospects for Loyola grads? Are you guys finding that the employment reports are fairly accurate (I know there has been some question of whether the numbers reported from law schools are representative) ? And what are the opportunities available for 1L students during the summer that you've seen?

Considering the economy and the fact we are in CA, employment is alright, not great. About 2/3 of people will have work lined up at graduation (about on par with other similarly situated schools like Pepperdine). A big problem for us right now is that we (California and the City of LA) have a massive budget crisis. There is no new hiring going on at the DA's office, which we used to dominate. The top of the class (10%) are secure in Big Law and prestigious federal positions. Bear in mind, this is talking about the Class of 2010. That means they interviewed in 2008 (when the sky was falling). By the time the class of 2013/14/15, assuming the economy improves or - at minimum - stabilizes, then those numbers should look better.

If you can network and you don't have absolutely terrible grades, you should be able to find gainful legal employment. I know a few 2Ls who don't have work lined up for the summer, and I honestly think a lot of this is not figuring out where to go, who to talk to. If you spend all you time 1L and 2L year on campus and never meet/chat with/email people on the outside (or even get to know your professors), you're going to have a hard time getting people to go to bat for you.

seaguy2010

Postby seaguy2010 » Wed May 04, 2011 7:15 pm

In terms of those numbers, what kind of income potential have you heard about? I keep seeing 160K as the benchmark for the large firms, but have you seen this number apply to students who acquire these positions?

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Wed May 04, 2011 8:11 pm

seaguy2010 wrote:In terms of those numbers, what kind of income potential have you heard about? I keep seeing 160K as the benchmark for the large firms, but have you seen this number apply to students who acquire these positions?

If you get a large / prestigious firm job, you can make up to (and in some VERY rare instances, above) 160k. Only a minority of students make that much their first year.

I made the caveat for the very rare breach of the salary ceiling in the rare case where someone lands at a boutique or corporation that pays slightly more. Again, you should not count on this. Loyolans appear to do very well landing the mid-sized firms in LA, where pay varies.

seaguy2010

Postby seaguy2010 » Wed May 04, 2011 8:52 pm

What kind of range is typical for a mid-size and large LA law firm (low-high end)?

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Wed May 04, 2011 9:05 pm

seaguy2010 wrote:What kind of range is typical for a mid-size and large LA law firm (low-high end)?

It's a WIDE range. 60k-160k. Depends on the firm.

sclatin2000

Postby sclatin2000 » Wed May 11, 2011 2:46 pm

Jumping in on the thread here.

Can anyone provide any info regarding the evening program? I was recently WL'd by the school, and on the form they asked to me to fill out they give the option of updating my application to make the evening program my first choice, which I am strongly considering. While the idea of spending 4 years to achieve my degree isn't the most appealing, if choosing this option will help me to be admitted to the school I think it may be worthwhile.

Do people in the evening program feel it's a worthwhile endeavor and that they are getting their moneys worth? Do you feel there is any drop-off in the level of education you are receiving as compared to the day program? How manageable is it to go to school/study and work full-time at the same time?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :D.

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Thu May 12, 2011 11:19 pm

sclatin2000 wrote:Jumping in on the thread here.

Can anyone provide any info regarding the evening program? I was recently WL'd by the school, and on the form they asked to me to fill out they give the option of updating my application to make the evening program my first choice, which I am strongly considering. While the idea of spending 4 years to achieve my degree isn't the most appealing, if choosing this option will help me to be admitted to the school I think it may be worthwhile.

Do people in the evening program feel it's a worthwhile endeavor and that they are getting their moneys worth? Do you feel there is any drop-off in the level of education you are receiving as compared to the day program? How manageable is it to go to school/study and work full-time at the same time?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :D.

Hmm. I don't know much about the Evening Program. I've met a few of the evening students around campus here or there but I don't feel like I could adequately speak on the topic except a) the professors good and b) people seem to be able to handle the balance adequately. If there are any Evening Students perusing the thread, please chime in and say something beyond those broad strokes.

SoCalLaw2011

Postby SoCalLaw2011 » Sun May 15, 2011 7:44 pm

Hi guys,

I'm trying to track down actual 1L Fall schedules of the 3 sections to get an idea of what the days/times actually look like. I realize they will probably change for Fall 2011, but it would be super helpful just to get an idea. Can anyone post a link for me or share that info?

Thanks!

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Sun May 15, 2011 10:11 pm

SoCalLaw2011 wrote:Hi guys,

I'm trying to track down actual 1L Fall schedules of the 3 sections to get an idea of what the days/times actually look like. I realize they will probably change for Fall 2011, but it would be super helpful just to get an idea. Can anyone post a link for me or share that info?

Thanks!

I don't know when the 2011 Fall schedule will be released for you guys. I know we had 4 sections, not 3 sections for day students. If you want, I can tell you what they were this last semester.

Judge Philip Banks

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Mon May 16, 2011 1:22 am

Hey NoleinNY - just wanted to say congrats on finishing up 1L! Must feel nice. How's the write-on competition going so far for you? Did you do anything to prepare for it?

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Mon May 16, 2011 3:12 pm

Judge Philip Banks wrote:Hey NoleinNY - just wanted to say congrats on finishing up 1L! Must feel nice. How's the write-on competition going so far for you? Did you do anything to prepare for it?

Thanks! The write-on is OK... It's not fun, but you gotta do it if you want to get on. I'm also trying out for Byrne, and I'd rather get that. I didn't really prepare for write-on. Not much you could do to prepare for it besides paying attention in Legal Research and Writing class haha.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”