Loyola Law School - Los Angeles 3L, Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
NoleinNY

Silver

Re: Loyola Law School - Los Angeles 1L, Taking Questions

Post by NoleinNY » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:04 pm

jesss wrote:
NoleinNY wrote:
trose28 wrote:I am strongly considering loyola after visiting, received a nice scholarship, however I am really worried about making it into the top 30 percent after the first year. Do you know any information about those who just miss it? Is loyola willing to work with students, bc I would hate to attend and then have to scramble to transfer after my first year
The school is good about NOT section stacking, however; people have a fair shot at keeping their schollies (though it is certainly not guaranteed).

Edit: I would like to add, for the sake of disclosure and honesty (I have no fear of admitting the following, as it will neither affect my pride or anonymity) but I have a scholarship with stipulations and did not get the grades I would've hoped for in December. They aren't insurmountably bad; however, I need to push extra hard this spring to hope to keep it. [While this is no excuse, one of the reasons I didn't perform as well was because I was very sick around exam time. This just goes to show that you can plan, work hard, study right, go in prepared and still be thrown a curveball.]
This is one of my main concerns. I tried looking for data on the percentage that keep their scholarships but was unable to find it. Can you give me a rough estimate? I doubt people talk about this a lot, but do you know of many who have lost their money (top 30% req)? I remember reading somewhere that top 30% is about a 3.4...is that accurate? Thanks!
I do not personally know the number of people who have lost their scholarships. I mostly associate with fellow 1Ls, and scholarships are only recalculated at the end of the academic year.

The school does not section stack, so it is not like there is a set number of people who must lose their scholarships. Here is an illustration (note that I making these numbers up, as I don't recall the exact ones off hand):

Hypo 1: The school hands out some type of scholarship to 50% of the class, contingent on being in the top 30%. The school spreads out people with scholarships evenly among the sections among the 4 sections. By chance, all the people in the top 30% are people who got the scholarship. In this scenario, 60% of the people with scholarships would keep them.

Hypo 2: The school hands out some type of scholarship to 50% of the class, contingent on being in the top 30%. The school puts all the scholarship people in 2 of the 4 sections. In this scenario, it would be almost impossible for most of the recipients to keep their money.

That number you pointed out, with 3.4 being approximately the top 30% was accurate... for last year. Because of how the grades are calculated, that isn't always going to be the case. This year, it could be 3.3, or 3.5(!). This is because your individual grades are calculated by section, but your GPA rank is against the whole school. You could have a different few people (in theory) get the A's in each of your different classes within your section. Same goes for everyone else in every other section. So if most people have very mixed results on their tests, the GPA required for a Top 30% will be lower.

If it looks like I qualified my statements a lot... It's because, well, I did. Law school isn't the right place to go if you can't handle uncertainty haha.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:04 pm

NoleinNY wrote:
jesss wrote:
NoleinNY wrote:
trose28 wrote:I am strongly considering loyola after visiting, received a nice scholarship, however I am really worried about making it into the top 30 percent after the first year. Do you know any information about those who just miss it? Is loyola willing to work with students, bc I would hate to attend and then have to scramble to transfer after my first year
The school is good about NOT section stacking, however; people have a fair shot at keeping their schollies (though it is certainly not guaranteed).

Edit: I would like to add, for the sake of disclosure and honesty (I have no fear of admitting the following, as it will neither affect my pride or anonymity) but I have a scholarship with stipulations and did not get the grades I would've hoped for in December. They aren't insurmountably bad; however, I need to push extra hard this spring to hope to keep it. [While this is no excuse, one of the reasons I didn't perform as well was because I was very sick around exam time. This just goes to show that you can plan, work hard, study right, go in prepared and still be thrown a curveball.]
This is one of my main concerns. I tried looking for data on the percentage that keep their scholarships but was unable to find it. Can you give me a rough estimate? I doubt people talk about this a lot, but do you know of many who have lost their money (top 30% req)? I remember reading somewhere that top 30% is about a 3.4...is that accurate? Thanks!
I do not personally know the number of people who have lost their scholarships. I mostly associate with fellow 1Ls, and scholarships are only recalculated at the end of the academic year.

The school does not section stack, so it is not like there is a set number of people who must lose their scholarships. Here is an illustration (note that I making these numbers up, as I don't recall the exact ones off hand):

Hypo 1: The school hands out some type of scholarship to 50% of the class, contingent on being in the top 30%. The school spreads out people with scholarships evenly among the sections among the 4 sections. By chance, all the people in the top 30% are people who got the scholarship. In this scenario, 60% of the people with scholarships would keep them.

Hypo 2: The school hands out some type of scholarship to 50% of the class, contingent on being in the top 30%. The school puts all the scholarship people in 2 of the 4 sections. In this scenario, it would be almost impossible for most of the recipients to keep their money.

That number you pointed out, with 3.4 being approximately the top 30% was accurate... for last year. Because of how the grades are calculated, that isn't always going to be the case. This year, it could be 3.3, or 3.5(!). This is because your individual grades are calculated by section, but your GPA rank is against the whole school. You could have a different few people (in theory) get the A's in each of your different classes within your section. Same goes for everyone else in every other section. So if most people have very mixed results on their tests, the GPA required for a Top 30% will be lower.

If it looks like I qualified my statements a lot... It's because, well, I did. Law school isn't the right place to go if you can't handle uncertainty haha.
I am thinking of attending Loyola next year and was offered the 87k scholarhip. I emailed the admissions office a few weeks back to ask a few questions about Loyola scholarships and this is how they responded (pretty much what I expected):

Mr. X

All of our scholarships have the same renewal criteria. I don't have any solid data on what percentage of the scholarship recipients renew their scholarship under this criteria because this is the first year we have used the top 30% as a criteria. I estimated based on previous data that about 40% of scholarship recipients will renew their scholarships. I also estimate that we will have somewhere around a 130 to 140 recipients.

If you do not renew after your first year the scholarship is lost for the remaining two years. We do have other privately donated scholarships that you could qualify for, but they are in small amounts and are fairly competitive.

Our 1L sections are divided evenly based on academic factors (primarily LSAT and GPA). In addition, we divide them out evenly based on gender and diversity.

I think I answered your questions, but if you have others please feel free to contact me.

*Also, don't forgot about our scholarship reception on April 14 at the City Club in downtown LA and the preview day on April 15 here on campus.

Thanks,

John Hoyt
Dean for Enrollment Management

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:02 am

I don't remember hearing that...

In any event I am staying right here haha.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:19 am

NoleinNY wrote:I don't remember hearing that...

Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Let's migrate :-)

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:14 am

Danteshek wrote:

Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Dude, it's probably an April Fools joke.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:16 am

Danteshek wrote:

Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Haha. I know I'll be missed but it won't really effect me if this place is under new management - as long as I can answer 0L's questions about our school and occasionally drop 2¢ every now and again when someone asks a "Where should I go to school?" thread.

Judge Philip Banks

Bronze

Post by Judge Philip Banks » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:39 am

I think I remember reading in the acceptance packet somewhere that LLS gets its students various discounts/deals in the area. For instance, I think students get a discount for the LMU gym or Gold's Gym. Also, students get a discount with Westside Rentals, which would be useful in looking for apartments this summer. Am I remembering this correctly? When do students officially find out about these things? As in, when do students actually get the discounts? Do you need a LLS email or ID? If so, when are students issued a LLS email?
Last edited by Judge Philip Banks on Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:40 am

Judge Philip Banks wrote:I think I remember reading in the acceptance packet somewhere that LLS gets its students various discounts/deals in the area. For instance, I think students get a discount for the LMU gym or Gold's Gym. Also, students get a discount with Westside Rentals, which would be useful in looking for apartments this summer. When do students officially find out about these things? As in, when do we actually get the discounts? Do we need a LLS email or ID? If so, when are students issued a LLS email?
I'm almost positive you can use the LMU gym for free (it's not at all close to the school though).

Judge Philip Banks

Bronze

Post by Judge Philip Banks » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:45 am

Pleasye wrote:
Judge Philip Banks wrote:I think I remember reading in the acceptance packet somewhere that LLS gets its students various discounts/deals in the area. For instance, I think students get a discount for the LMU gym or Gold's Gym. Also, students get a discount with Westside Rentals, which would be useful in looking for apartments this summer. When do students officially find out about these things? As in, when do we actually get the discounts? Do we need a LLS email or ID? If so, when are students issued a LLS email?
I'm almost positive you can use the LMU gym for free (it's not at all close to the school though).
If you can use it for free, it is definitely worth the drive out to Westchester. I plan on living somewhere in between LLS and Westchester, in the West LA area, so it isn't too bad a drive from there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:45 am

Pleasye wrote:
Not true; the LMU gym is not free for law students. It is, however, very inexpensive. http://www.lmu.edu/Assets/Membership+Po ... n+Page.pdf

Of course, it is all the way in Westchester...

Judge Philip Banks

Bronze

Post by Judge Philip Banks » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:47 am

NoleinNY wrote:
Pleasye wrote:
Not true; the LMU gym is not free for law students. It is, however, very inexpensive. http://www.lmu.edu/Assets/Membership+Po ... n+Page.pdf

That is pretty cheap. Thanks for finding that pdf. What about the Gold's Gym and Westside Rentals discounts? Am I crazy or do students get those, too? Any other cool deals LLS students get?

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:04 am

NoleinNY wrote:Not true; the LMU gym is not free for law students. It is, however, very inexpensive. http://www.lmu.edu/Assets/Membership+Po ... n+Page.pdf

I said I was "almost" positive, not that I knew it was true.

It's a great facility and there are a lot of classes and stuff but it's always suuuper crowded.

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:15 pm

Judge Philip Banks wrote:
NoleinNY wrote:
Pleasye wrote:

That is pretty cheap. Thanks for finding that pdf. What about the Gold's Gym and Westside Rentals discounts? Am I crazy or do students get those, too? Any other cool deals LLS students get?
Gold's is about 35 per month. I don't know about Westside Rentals.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Judge Philip Banks

Bronze

Post by Judge Philip Banks » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:34 pm

Pleasye - you've been to the LMU gym? I might be willing to deal with crowds and the drive if it is so cheap, especially compared to paying $30-35/month for anywhere else.

And thanks Nole. Hopefully the Westside Rentals deal isn't a figment of my imagination... It would be nice to get a discount for a good apartment-finding resource to use in conjunction with craigslist.

Do you remember when LLS issued you your LLS email address? I hope it is earlier than orientation, so that those that are for sure going to Loyola can take advantage of these discounts, and also Amazon Prime for students, student pricing of various software, etc.

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:38 pm

Judge Philip Banks wrote:Pleasye - you've been to the LMU gym? I might be willing to deal with crowds and the drive if it is so cheap, especially compared to paying $30-35/month for anywhere else.

And thanks Nole. Hopefully the Westside Rentals deal isn't a figment of my imagination... It would be nice to get a discount for a good apartment-finding resource to use in conjunction with craigslist.

Do you remember when LLS issued you your LLS email address? I hope it is earlier than orientation, so that those that are for sure going to Loyola can take advantage of these discounts, and also Amazon Prime for students, student pricing of various software, etc.
You get the email at orientation. You get access to the LLS student classifieds around ASD time.

Judge Philip Banks

Bronze

Post by Judge Philip Banks » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:00 pm

NoleinNY wrote:
Judge Philip Banks wrote:Pleasye - you've been to the LMU gym? I might be willing to deal with crowds and the drive if it is so cheap, especially compared to paying $30-35/month for anywhere else.

You get the email at orientation. You get access to the LLS student classifieds around ASD time.
Thanks. Kind of unfortunate the email isn't issued earlier, but I guess it makes sense to get it around orientation time.

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:51 am

NoleinNY wrote:

Thanks. Kind of unfortunate the email isn't issued earlier, but I guess it makes sense to get it around orientation time.
Yeah. Honestly, though, the only reason you would need it any sooner would be to get on the LLS network on facebook haha.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Judge Philip Banks

Bronze

Post by Judge Philip Banks » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:25 am

NoleinNY wrote:
NoleinNY wrote:

Yeah. Honestly, though, the only reason you would need it any sooner would be to get on the LLS network on facebook haha.
Haha, yeah, that is a big reason - good point! Speaking for myself though... I wanted to use it to get some free Amazon prime and get student versions of Adobe software! Also big reasons! (to me at least...) :)

greg737

New

Post by greg737 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:54 am

Has anyone here tried to see if the stipulation on the scholarship can be removed? I received $69K, but, as I've heard on here, it's best to just think of it as a one-year deal.

It's tough to want to think that when I have guaranteed money from several other schools, including Irvine, which I guess will be ranked higher than Loyola by the time I'm set to graduate.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:45 pm

greg737 wrote:Has anyone here tried to see if the stipulation on the scholarship can be removed? I received $69K, but, as I've heard on here, it's best to just think of it as a one-year deal.

It's tough to want to think that when I have guaranteed money from several other schools, including Irvine, which I guess will be ranked higher than Loyola by the time I'm set to graduate.
Good luck with that.

More evidence that UCI is competing with Loyola for students, not USC/UCLA.

greg737

New

Post by greg737 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:16 pm

Danteshek wrote: Good luck with that.
More evidence that UCI is competing with Loyola for students, not USC/UCLA.
I agree with you... at least on my end. Still waiting on USC/UCLA (I doubt I have a shot), but if I get in, I'd go to those two in a heartbeat over UCI.

However, I was at UC Irvine's preview day and there were a few USC/UCLA admits who decided then to go to Irvine, so they are not that far off in terms of perception. UC Irvine is doing some impressive things already.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LockBox

Bronze

Post by LockBox » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:48 pm

I'm not sure if this has been addressed/discussed in this thread yet, but I was wondering how students pursuing intellectual property/patent law do at Loyola? Do any of the current students know others emphasizing this route? Any feedback would be appreciated.

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:49 pm

LockBox wrote:I'm not sure if this has been addressed/discussed in this thread yet, but I was wondering how students pursuing intellectual property/patent law do at Loyola? Do any of the current students know others emphasizing this route? Any feedback would be appreciated.
I know a few people looking into IP/Patent, but they're 1Ls. They're just trying to do well in school, going to networking events, and I think one of them is going to be working for a firm that has a decent IP practice (it's not a biglaw firm to my knowledge). Perusing a few firm websites, I've come across recent LLS grads working in IP and they all seemed to have some sort of work experience before hand. I know this is all completely unhelpful, but that's all I know. Sorry. :(

What kind of background do you have? Work experience, degree, etc.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:35 pm

Last edited by 071816 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

LockBox

Bronze

Post by LockBox » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:21 pm

NoleinNY wrote:
LockBox wrote:I'm not sure if this has been addressed/discussed in this thread yet, but I was wondering how students pursuing intellectual property/patent law do at Loyola? Do any of the current students know others emphasizing this route? Any feedback would be appreciated.
I know a few people looking into IP/Patent, but they're 1Ls. They're just trying to do well in school, going to networking events, and I think one of them is going to be working for a firm that has a decent IP practice (it's not a biglaw firm to my knowledge). Perusing a few firm websites, I've come across recent LLS grads working in IP and they all seemed to have some sort of work experience before hand. I know this is all completely unhelpful, but that's all I know. Sorry. :(

What kind of background do you have? Work experience, degree, etc.
No no, any info is appreciated. I have a B.S. in Chemistry and about 5 years w/e as a chemist in industry. I also started a Ph.D in physics before leaving due to extenuating circumstances. Just waiting to hear from Loyola now and considering what my prospects of going into patent/IP law from a school like Loyola would be. Thanks for the info...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”