Loyola Law School - Los Angeles 3L, Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
NoleinNY

Silver

Loyola Law School - Los Angeles 3L, Taking Questions

Post by NoleinNY » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:28 pm

I'm currently enjoying the eye of the storm right now (midterms are over, no large assignments due, etc.) so I figured I'd answer any questions people have about the school (or why I chose it) from a 1L perspective. Hopefully, I'll be able to answer and update regularly throughout the semester.
Last edited by NoleinNY on Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

lalalawya

Bronze

Re: Loyola Law School - Los Angeles 1L, Taking Questions

Post by lalalawya » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:01 pm

How wonderfulllll!

This may be a silly question, but judging from your fellow 1L'ers, what types of people does it appear Loyola values?

Given LLS is only a law school campus with no "school housing" per say, how hard was it to find a place to live/did the school help set you up with people in your entering class?

Is it awesome?

crossingforHYS

Silver

Post by crossingforHYS » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:12 pm

why did you chose it? what other choices were you conflicted with? and finally, how is the alumni network?

gbpackerbacker

Silver

Post by gbpackerbacker » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:46 pm

Job picture? Morale among your section? Are you happy at Loyola?

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:37 am

@lalalawya: Loyola definitely values friendliness and community. From ASD to now, I'm amazed at how friendly my classmates are. Not a lot of hardcore gunners or downers (I don't even need my whole hand to count all the gunners or obnoxious people).

Housing near the school (that isn't hood) is generally expensive. I live about 7 miles from the school and found my apartment on craigslist. The commute is about a half hour, during rush hour so not terrible. Loyola has a roommate matching classified page, which is where I found my roommate. It's a commuter school so you see people driving from the Valley, the beach, etc. and they have a shuttle service to pick people up from the metro lines.

The professors are I've had are all awesome in their own way, though YMMV based on your preferences. I know people in other sections who have 1 or 2 professors they'd rather soon forget. Even some people in my own section dislike my favorite professor; 3/4 of my core professors teach a hybrid volunteer answering/lecture/socratic method depending on what they are covering at the time, whereas my favorite favors mostly socratic method (tbf, he is very friendly about it and will elicit volunteers and allow students to help each other out from time to time).

@crossingforHYS: While a lot went into it, I chose LLS for two reasons - a) I love LA and b) the future (now current) classmates. I got into Fordham, Cardozo, Brooklyn, W&M and was chilling on the BC/BU waitlists. Had some very little aid from Fordham (which, before I saw LLS, was my #1 choice) that would barely cover 3/4 COL in NY, so that was eliminated. Brooklyn and Cardozo gave me about 100k each. W&M offered me money on the condition that I do a "fellowship" which is code for work in the library part time; unfortunately, I didn't like the idea of spending the rest of my life in the South so out it went. LLS gave me less aid than Brooklyn and 'Dozo, though the lower COL in LA makes my end debt total within 4k of what it would be in NYC.

After I narrowed it down to those 3, I chose LLS for my previously mentioned reasons (and other personal reasons).

As for the alumni network, I haven't had much interaction with it as a 1L yet, though they offer a ton of networking opportunities almost every week and I've attended a few. Also, a lot of my friends signed up to have alumni mentors and find them really helpful.

@gbpackerbacker: {DISCLAIMER: This is speculation and would be better answered by a 2L] Job picture is likely rough and vague, like everywhere. Scuttlebutt filtering from the 2Ls is mixed, though I haven't noticed any panic or despair. Outside of social events I haven't chatted up any 2Ls at length, thus lacking the opportunity to personally interrogate anyone on how OCI went.

People in my section are ridiculously friendly and upbeat by an large given the pressure of 1L and ITE. Obviously the recent midterms have weighed on people, but no one I know has grown cold over the last 8 weeks. I'm happy at Loyola. I'm a moderate introvert, so I crave being around people who are fun and engaging to keep me from becoming ultra depressed; I'm able to stay pretty sane here.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:50 am

@gbpackerbacker: {DISCLAIMER: This is speculation and would be better answered by a 2L] Job picture is likely rough and vague, like everywhere. Scuttlebutt filtering from the 2Ls is mixed, though I haven't noticed any panic or despair. Outside of social events I haven't chatted up any 2Ls at length, thus lacking the opportunity to personally interrogate anyone on how OCI went.
Its crazy how so many law students have no idea what the job prospects are from the schools they pay $60 grand to attend. A 2L from Wisconsin in another thread says he has no idea what the job prospects are at his school.

It would seem to me that this is the kind of thing you need to pin down before you spend another day at the school. Otherwise, what are you doing there? What's the purpose?

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:13 am

MrAnon wrote:
Its crazy how so many law students have no idea what the job prospects are from the schools they pay $60 grand to attend. A 2L from Wisconsin in another thread says he has no idea what the job prospects are at his school.

It would seem to me that this is the kind of thing you need to pin down before you spend another day at the school. Otherwise, what are you doing there? What's the purpose?
That is a very valid point and I'm not going to go back on what I said. The only thing 3 things I may add that might clarify that potentially naive-sounding post:

a) I looked and did my best to research job prospects out of LLS when I was making my decision but I know that there is a lot of uncertainty out there. The job picture should be clearer in the coming weeks as news of how the 2Ls fair becomes available. I'd be lying if I told you that I knew how every 2L, 3L, and recent graduate was holding up or how accurate the OCS numbers are (though they claim almost 100% reporting from C/O 2009, listing the exact # of people working by field, location, etc. (and those who are not employed)); I only bring that last part up because they had the most extensive employment list of any school I picked they'll probably report in the same level of detail next year, too. Also note that I highlighted the word "reporting" previously, just in case someone quickly read and thought I said LLS had 100% employment, which would be untrue.

b) Like many fellow classmates, I do my best to focus on school work; after all, even in good years you still need those grades to land the $$$$$$ jobs. We pick the brains of alumni and speakers who come to the school to get a sense of how to put ourselves in the best possible position to get into fields we're interested in.

c) Finally, and I know this isn't true for most people (and given the uncertainty of this economy, it may not hold up for me in 3 years), but I have a few safety nets and connections to lean on if prospects dim come 2013.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:33 am

I can answer questions, but my experience at LLS has been fairly unusual (transfer on law review). So far it's been the standard law school experience. I've been impressed by the faculty and by some of the students I know on law review. Like every law school there are a lot of clueless young kids running around. I try to avoid them as much as possible.

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:44 am

Danteshek wrote:I can answer questions, but my experience at LLS has been fairly unusual (transfer on law review). So far it's been the standard law school experience. I've been impressed by the faculty and by some of the students I know on law review. Like every law school there are a lot of clueless young kids running around. I try to avoid them as much as possible.
It'll definitely help to have a 2L's perspective (such as yourself, unique as it is) in this thread.

(Side note: how was the SEC Honors internship, btw?)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:19 am

The work in the SEC was actually pretty boring. It was fun to be in DC, get paid, play softball and go to the educational programs the SEC put on, but the work itself was nothing to write home about. Great for the resume though. And I met some really cool people.

I might be going back to DC this summer. I have an interview with the DOJ Tax Division on Friday.

But keep in mind it's pretty unusual for Loyola students to get summer jobs in DC.

saltoftheearth

Bronze

Post by saltoftheearth » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:02 am

how do you like the campus? do you ever study in the library?

if you ever leave at night, do you feel safe doing so?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:54 am

saltoftheearth wrote:how do you like the campus? do you ever study in the library?

if you ever leave at night, do you feel safe doing so?
I love the campus. I rarely study in the library because I prefer working at home. I feel safe around the campus, but I'm a large male. If I were a girl I'd probably avoid walking around at night. I don't have a car and take the bus from Wilshire/La Brea.

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:28 am

A note about safety: the parking garage only has one way in or out with the outside and that is where the cars come and go. There's always security people up front and patrolling the campus. On top of that, the rest of the campus is build like a fortress (High walls, card-access gates, etc.)

As for the library, I find myself studying there during breaks in the day; however, I do my bulk at home because I'm part of a carpool. The library provides unlimited free earplugs which are very helpful.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

saltoftheearth

Bronze

Post by saltoftheearth » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:44 pm

unlimited free earplugs? SOLD.

I've never lived in LA. How do you two like it? Aside from the traffic, is there anything about the city that puts you off?

What's the atmosphere like on campus? busy? casual?

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:51 pm

As I said previously, I love LA. People are warm, weather is nice, food is great, there's plenty of culture, etc.

Downsides besides traffic (which I'll lump the bad drivers into)? It is expensive. Housing in NY may be pricier, but retail is a joke and the high sales taxes here are beastly; it's a hair below 10%. This makes eating out or buying essentials rough.

Somewhat traffic related, somewhat expense related: be prepared to spend more money on gas and auto maintenance (my brake pads have worn out twice as fast here in LA than they have elsewhere; thank you, stop and go traffic + bad drivers).

As you'd expect, campus busyness varies. There's usually club meetings and panels throughout the week, usually during lunch time. Overall, I'd lean towards casual.

saltoftheearth

Bronze

Post by saltoftheearth » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:47 pm

yeah, it's a high COL.. but I think that you get what you pay for. do you foresee Loyola jacking up its tuition?

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:20 pm

how was OCI?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:06 pm

General Tso wrote:how was OCI?
I didn't participate in Phase I because I'm a transfer. I had a few interviews in phase II, but by then I already had a better offer from a District Judge. That's what I'm doing this summer if I don't go to Washington to work for DOJ Tax Division.

Next time, if you want information I will expect you to contribute something first. You are wasting my time.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:49 pm

Danteshek wrote:
General Tso wrote:how was OCI?
I didn't participate in Phase I because I'm a transfer. I had a few interviews in phase II, but by then I already had a better offer from a District Judge. That's what I'm doing this summer if I don't go to Washington to work for DOJ Tax Division.

Next time, if you want information I will expect you to contribute something first. You are wasting my time.
I don't attend Loyola. If you want to know about my OCI at Hastings, I'll be happy to discuss without being a jerk about it.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:38 pm

I still don't understand why you care about OCI at Loyola. You obviously have no stake. I could not care less about what's going on at Hastings.

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:42 pm

Danteshek wrote:I still don't understand why you care about OCI at Loyola. You obviously have no stake. I could not care less about what's going on at Hastings.
????

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:51 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:
Danteshek wrote:I still don't understand why you care about OCI at Loyola. You obviously have no stake. I could not care less about what's going on at Hastings.
????
from time to time, Dante likes to start shit with people for no apparent reason. I for one think that a question about OCI in a Loyola students taking Q's thread is a perfect valid one.

to answer your question, I am curious about A.) job market in SoCal and B.) whether I made a bad choice

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:55 pm

General Tso wrote:
LSpleaseee wrote:
????
from time to time, Dante likes to start shit with people for no apparent reason. I for one think that a question about OCI in a Loyola students taking Q's thread is a perfect valid one.

to answer your question, I am curious about A.) job market in SoCal and B.) whether I made a bad choice
Hm, interesting. I knew you were a Hastings 1L and didn't think anything of you posting in here haha.

But anyway, I'm interested in this question too! And I'm "allowed" to ask these questions because I'm a 0L that is seriously interested in Loyola.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:27 pm

Nobody can give you an answer to that question. You would have to speak with every 2L and have perfect information. Chances are you will not find a job at OCI. And if you rely on OCI to find a job, chances are you will not find a job at all.

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:41 pm

saltoftheearth wrote:yeah, it's a high COL.. but I think that you get what you pay for. do you foresee Loyola jacking up its tuition?
Hmm. I honestly don't know. Pure speculation, but I don't think it will go up or, if it does, it won't be at any outrageous rate. Of course, one could argue any increase ITE is outrageous, but that's a different story.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”