Loyola Law School - Los Angeles 3L, Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
predent/prelaw

Bronze

Re: Loyola Law School - Los Angeles 1L, Taking Questions

Post by predent/prelaw » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:24 am

thepete wrote:Ah, thanks a lot guys! Yes, I am not one of those "big law or bust" type of guys and fine with paying loan for 10 years.. (which might sound ludicrous to some of you readers). To me, life is not all about make 100k and shut down the mall. I am content with making 70k and working my way up. I prefer to get paid less and have a social life rather than have myself encapsulated by 100k+, though driving in cherry M7 like Biggie will be a nice experience to have.
The only way you could buy an M7 on 100k salary with 2-3k a month student loans if you somehow qualified for it would be living out of it...
100k is the new 60k

thepete

New

Post by thepete » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:44 pm

predent/prelaw wrote:
thepete wrote:Ah, thanks a lot guys! Yes, I am not one of those "big law or bust" type of guys and fine with paying loan for 10 years.. (which might sound ludicrous to some of you readers). To me, life is not all about make 100k and shut down the mall. I am content with making 70k and working my way up. I prefer to get paid less and have a social life rather than have myself encapsulated by 100k+, though driving in cherry M7 like Biggie will be a nice experience to have.
The only way you could buy an M7 on 100k salary with 2-3k a month student loans if you somehow qualified for it would be living out of it...
100k is the new 60k
Does that mean 60k is the new 20k? NOooOooooooooooooooooo.

tlc

New

Post by tlc » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:50 pm

Loyola (and just about every other school) boasts about strongly supporting public interest careers for their students, but what are your first-hand opinions or experiences about Loyola's programs and support for public interest careers?

Specific examples?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:58 pm

tlc wrote:Loyola (and just about every other school) boasts about strongly supporting public interest careers for their students, but what are your first-hand opinions or experiences about Loyola's programs and support for public interest careers?

Specific examples?
Strong support for public interest careers. Not so strong support for careers in government agencies. Loyola's LRAP currently only supports the former (though I am planning to raise a stink about this.)

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:38 pm

Our school's Public Interest Law Foundation gives out stipends (I believe $3k-5k) to about 70 non-governmental PI and 10 governmental PI summer jobs for 1Ls. We were also the first law school in California to require students do 40 hours of pro bono work before graduation.

Additionally, I've noticed the school pushes our clinical programs as good opportunities to get public interest experience in a hands on setting.

I am not sure about the details, but we have a Civil Rights/Advocacy type program that involves training and workshops in the fall followed by externships with big PI organizations like ACLU or Bet Tzedek. Again, I'm not 100% on the details but I'll find out more from some of my PI friends.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tlc

New

Post by tlc » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:44 pm

Cool. Thanks!

balls

New

Post by balls » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:53 pm

MrAnon wrote:
@gbpackerbacker: {DISCLAIMER: This is speculation and would be better answered by a 2L] Job picture is likely rough and vague, like everywhere. Scuttlebutt filtering from the 2Ls is mixed, though I haven't noticed any panic or despair. Outside of social events I haven't chatted up any 2Ls at length, thus lacking the opportunity to personally interrogate anyone on how OCI went.
Its crazy how so many law students have no idea what the job prospects are from the schools they pay $60 grand to attend. A 2L from Wisconsin in another thread says he has no idea what the job prospects are at his school.

It would seem to me that this is the kind of thing you need to pin down before you spend another day at the school. Otherwise, what are you doing there? What's the purpose?
i think a glance at the tls article on loyola would answer this more thoroughly than talking to prospective, current and former students combined.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:08 pm

The job prospects of the class in the aggregate does not tell you much about what will happen to a particular student. LLS gives you the tools to succeed, IMO. The rest is up to you.

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:24 pm

balls wrote:
MrAnon wrote:
@gbpackerbacker: {DISCLAIMER: This is speculation and would be better answered by a 2L] Job picture is likely rough and vague, like everywhere. Scuttlebutt filtering from the 2Ls is mixed, though I haven't noticed any panic or despair. Outside of social events I haven't chatted up any 2Ls at length, thus lacking the opportunity to personally interrogate anyone on how OCI went.
Its crazy how so many law students have no idea what the job prospects are from the schools they pay $60 grand to attend. A 2L from Wisconsin in another thread says he has no idea what the job prospects are at his school.

It would seem to me that this is the kind of thing you need to pin down before you spend another day at the school. Otherwise, what are you doing there? What's the purpose?
i think a glance at the tls article on loyola would answer this more thoroughly than talking to prospective, current and former students combined.
Eh. If you compare what the TLS profile says with what was said in this thread... They say the same exact things, because they are drawing from the same sources. All it takes is talking to one informed prospective/current/former student to get the same result.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

predent/prelaw

Bronze

Post by predent/prelaw » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:02 pm

does Loyola do well in mock trial competitions?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:47 pm

predent/prelaw wrote:does Loyola do well in mock trial competitions?

The Byrne Trial Advocacy Program

The Byrne Trial Advocacy Program (named in honor of the late Honorable William M. Byrne, Sr., a 1929 alumnus of the law school), provides talented second, third and fourth year law students with the rare opportunity to receive extensive, individualized training in all aspects of trial advocacy.

Each year students are invited to join the team based upon an intramural competition held at the end of the spring semester. Those students then represent the school in a series of regional and national mock trial competitions. In recent years, this has included the prestigious Tournament of Champions, sponsored by the National Institute of Trial Advocacy--a tournament in which the top sixteen ranked trial teams in the nation are invited to compete.

In addition, Loyola now competes in the American Trial Lawyers Association Student Trial Competition and the National Trial Competition, sponsored by the Texas Young Lawyers Association. Over 150 ABA accredited law schools competed at the regional level, with 28 teams advancing to the finals in Dallas. In 2006, for only the second time ever, Loyola swept the region and sent two teams to nationals. The team of Brian Ward (national champion, 2005) and Kimberly Higgins placed third in the competition while the team of Courtney Yoder and Kimberly Greene defeated the University of Maryland in the final round to win the compeition. This was the second year in a row that Loyola has won this prestigious national tournament.

The team also competes in The National Civil Trial Competition sponsored by Loyola Law School and the law firm of Greene Broillet & Wheeler, LLP against some of the top ranked teams from around the country.

Loyola’s teams have been extremely successful in these tournaments, winning 18 out of the last 21 regional tournaments and six national championships in the last six years. US News & World Report has repeatedly ranked Loyola’s trial advocacy program as one of the top ten programs in the nation.

Team members are trained to conduct all aspects of a jury trial including opening statement, direct and cross examination, as well as closing argument. The tournaments involve both civil and criminal trials ranging from issues of medical malpractice, to white collar crime and homicide. All team members receive three units of academic credit in the spring semester for their participation on the team that year.

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:40 pm

Danteshek wrote:
predent/prelaw wrote:does Loyola do well in mock trial competitions?

The Byrne Trial Advocacy Program

The Byrne Trial Advocacy Program (named in honor of the late Honorable William M. Byrne, Sr., a 1929 alumnus of the law school), provides talented second, third and fourth year law students with the rare opportunity to receive extensive, individualized training in all aspects of trial advocacy.

Each year students are invited to join the team based upon an intramural competition held at the end of the spring semester. Those students then represent the school in a series of regional and national mock trial competitions. In recent years, this has included the prestigious Tournament of Champions, sponsored by the National Institute of Trial Advocacy--a tournament in which the top sixteen ranked trial teams in the nation are invited to compete.

In addition, Loyola now competes in the American Trial Lawyers Association Student Trial Competition and the National Trial Competition, sponsored by the Texas Young Lawyers Association. Over 150 ABA accredited law schools competed at the regional level, with 28 teams advancing to the finals in Dallas. In 2006, for only the second time ever, Loyola swept the region and sent two teams to nationals. The team of Brian Ward (national champion, 2005) and Kimberly Higgins placed third in the competition while the team of Courtney Yoder and Kimberly Greene defeated the University of Maryland in the final round to win the compeition. This was the second year in a row that Loyola has won this prestigious national tournament.

The team also competes in The National Civil Trial Competition sponsored by Loyola Law School and the law firm of Greene Broillet & Wheeler, LLP against some of the top ranked teams from around the country.

Loyola’s teams have been extremely successful in these tournaments, winning 18 out of the last 21 regional tournaments and six national championships in the last six years. US News & World Report has repeatedly ranked Loyola’s trial advocacy program as one of the top ten programs in the nation.

Team members are trained to conduct all aspects of a jury trial including opening statement, direct and cross examination, as well as closing argument. The tournaments involve both civil and criminal trials ranging from issues of medical malpractice, to white collar crime and homicide. All team members receive three units of academic credit in the spring semester for their participation on the team that year.
Short Answer: Yes. We have several different teams, with the Byrne Trial Ad team being the most prestigious.

seaguy2010

New

Post by seaguy2010 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:43 am

I was thinking of living around Koreatown if I go to Loyola, and I was wondering what it is like commuting to and from school.

*Do most students have a car?
*What is it like commuting to/from via public transit from an area like Koreatown?
*I've heard that the Pico area is notorious for violent gang activity. Any negative experiences with this?

Thanks in advance.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:17 am

seaguy2010 wrote:I was thinking of living around Koreatown if I go to Loyola, and I was wondering what it is like commuting to and from school.

*Do most students have a car?
*What is it like commuting to/from via public transit from an area like Koreatown?
*I've heard that the Pico area is notorious for violent gang activity. Any negative experiences with this?

Thanks in advance.
From Koreatown? You're looking at maybe a 10 minute drive (depending on where in K-town you are coming from).

Most students have cars, although I know plenty of people who do mass transit. Hell, I do have a car and I still occasionally take the bus. From K-town, you would just need to hop on the 20/720 or 28/728 down to around Union and you're there.

If you don't mind me asking, would you be closest to Pico Blvd, Olympic, or Wilshire? Because honestly, I am never near the "Pico area." I only know Olympic and Wilshire's safety levels.

I don't know anyone who has had any problems with gang activity. The worst experience of people I know is the occasional aggressive panhandler by the 110 overpass. The campus itself is a fortress, so if you know the bus schedule, you can wait inside until around the time it is supposed to arrive to minimize your time outside... Again, though, I have never heard of a student getting mugged or otherwise attacked.

seaguy2010

New

Post by seaguy2010 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:25 am

Thanks for the input. Maybe I was a bit confused about the area. I thought the school bordered the Pico area, and I heard there was a lot of violent gang activity in that area, in particular the Pico-Union area. Where do a lot of the students live that is closest to the school?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:28 am

I don't have a car. I highly recommend it. You can live anywhere along Wilshire or Olympic and be just fine. I recommend the area around Wilshire and La Brea.

Judge Philip Banks

Bronze

Post by Judge Philip Banks » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:31 am

seaguy2010 wrote:Thanks for the input. Maybe I was a bit confused about the area. I thought the school bordered the Pico area, and I heard there was a lot of violent gang activity in that area, in particular the Pico-Union area. Where do a lot of the students live that is closest to the school?
Just to clear up any misconceptions about this. The school is by the Pico-Union area, which historically had a high crime rate and was definitely not a good neighborhood. Now, while still not the greatest of areas, it is much better than it used to be. It is relatively safe. I wouldn't recommend walking around at night or anything, but overall I think LLS students would be safe going about their normal law school business. And like NoleinNY said, no one gets attacked or anything in the area. There are areas in LA that are worse, for sure.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:47 am

Central Americans are harmless. I walk around late at night all the time.

seaguy2010

New

Post by seaguy2010 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:06 am

Great, thanks for all of the helpful input. I'll be heading to LA soon to check out the school and also tour around the area for potential housing, so I'll keep these areas in mind.

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:06 am

seaguy2010 wrote:Thanks for the input. Maybe I was a bit confused about the area. I thought the school bordered the Pico area, and I heard there was a lot of violent gang activity in that area, in particular the Pico-Union area. Where do a lot of the students live that is closest to the school?
As DS pointed out, the Wilshire/Olympic corridor is your best bet. To list the neighborhoods of my closest 15 law school friends off the top of my head:

K-town (2)
Downtown (2)
MacArthur Park (2 - they are roommates)
West Hollywood (3 - 2 are roommates)
Pico-Robertson (2)
Park La Brea (1)
Glendale (2)
Echo Park/Los Feliz (1)

Judge Philip Banks

Bronze

Post by Judge Philip Banks » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:12 am

NoleinNY wrote:
As DS pointed out, the Wilshire/Olympic corridor is your best bet. To list the neighborhoods of my closest 15 law school friends off the top of my head:

K-town (2)
Downtown (2)
Pico-Robertson (2)
Park La Brea (1)
Glendale (2)
Echo Park/Los Feliz (1)
Dang - not many West LA people... Do you know of more people that live in West LA areas, that just aren't in your close circle of friends? I was mainly considering living on the westside, but if most people live closer to the school, I might just do that, too...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:01 pm

Judge Philip Banks wrote:
NoleinNY wrote:

K-town (2)
Downtown (2)
Pico-Robertson (2)
Park La Brea (1)
Glendale (2)
Echo Park/Los Feliz (1)
Dang - not many West LA people... Do you know of more people that live in West LA areas, that just aren't in your close circle of friends? I was mainly considering living on the westside, but if most people live closer to the school, I might just do that, too...
I know a few people who live out there; that was just a sample of people. I also know people who commute from Pasadena and Northridge.

seaguy2010

New

Post by seaguy2010 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:59 pm

*What's a normal class/study schedule? How many hours of class per day, etc?
*What kind of scholarships are given for the top 10% of class? (The Loyola admission packet says that students in the top 10% are given significant scholarship awards the second/third year)?
*How does one score in the top 10% of the class?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:57 pm

To do well, you need to (1) work hard, (2) work smart, (3) be smart, (4) be lucky. Good luck!

jesss

New

Post by jesss » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:10 pm

NoleinNY wrote:
trose28 wrote:I am strongly considering loyola after visiting, received a nice scholarship, however I am really worried about making it into the top 30 percent after the first year. Do you know any information about those who just miss it? Is loyola willing to work with students, bc I would hate to attend and then have to scramble to transfer after my first year
The school is good about NOT section stacking, however; people have a fair shot at keeping their schollies (though it is certainly not guaranteed).

Edit: I would like to add, for the sake of disclosure and honesty (I have no fear of admitting the following, as it will neither affect my pride or anonymity) but I have a scholarship with stipulations and did not get the grades I would've hoped for in December. They aren't insurmountably bad; however, I need to push extra hard this spring to hope to keep it. [While this is no excuse, one of the reasons I didn't perform as well was because I was very sick around exam time. This just goes to show that you can plan, work hard, study right, go in prepared and still be thrown a curveball.]
This is one of my main concerns. I tried looking for data on the percentage that keep their scholarships but was unable to find it. Can you give me a rough estimate? I doubt people talk about this a lot, but do you know of many who have lost their money (top 30% req)? I remember reading somewhere that top 30% is about a 3.4...is that accurate? Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”