Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
niederbomb

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby niederbomb » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:04 pm

txgirl1229:

Again, I am a 2L, and from going through OCI this year, I got the impression that not many people outside of the top 25% were getting Big Law callbacks/offers. The market is still very tight, and firms are hiring less SA's all around. People with good interviewing skills in the top 10% had no problem getting 10+ callbacks, but people with good credentials (top 25%, other journal besides LR) were not faring as well. They might get ~5 callbacks, with only a few of those being firms that paid market.

I am a Texas resident and a military veteran, so I'm considering UT just because I might be able to get a tuition waiver under the Hazlewood Act.

However, I'm really worried about getting a job afterwards.

Why do you think the BigLaw callbacks from UT are so sparse? I was under the impression that UT was #1 for BigLaw in Texas, but do you think that any schools outside of Texas might have an advantage over UT, at least at the elite firms?

IF I practiced in Texas, I would prefer to work in Austin or San Antonio. What types of Biglaw opportunities do these cities have? Or does Dallas have most of the best legal jobs? Thanks for the info.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:51 pm

niederbomb wrote:I am a Texas resident and a military veteran, so I'm considering UT just because I might be able to get a tuition waiver under the Hazlewood Act.

Smart move. UT Law for free is worth more than most of the T14 at sticker (IMO), especially if your target market is Texas.

niederbomb wrote:Why do you think the BigLaw callbacks from UT are so sparse? I was under the impression that UT was #1 for BigLaw in Texas, but do you think that any schools outside of Texas might have an advantage over UT, at least at the elite firms?

Although biglaw interviews are sparse, this isn't completely unusual. 2009 data show that UT's V100 placement was 25%, and UT's NLJP250 placement was around 33%. That's pretty close to the figures that txgirl and I have been throwing around for our 2L class. Top 10% basically has multiple offers. Top quarter found market gigs or comparable. Top third is picking up the midlaw and smaller firm stuff. Below that, it's anyone's guess and highly dependent on contacts and circumstances.

niederbomb wrote:IF I practiced in Texas, I would prefer to work in Austin or San Antonio. What types of Biglaw opportunities do these cities have? Or does Dallas have most of the best legal jobs? Thanks for the info.

Very little chance. There are only a few biglaw offices in Austin. They each host only a couple of students for their summer programs, and they might hire one new associate per office in a given year. Even if those numbers pick up a bit, I don't think you can count on landing biglaw in Austin unless you have ties here, and even then it's pretty tough. San Antonio might be difficult to break into without ties to the area as well. I interviewed at the Bracewell office in San Antonio this year. They were only hiring two SAs, and the competition was tough.

Since you have solid work experience and you can minimize debt, it looks like UT might be a real bargain for you.

txgirl1229

Postby txgirl1229 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:21 pm

niederbomb wrote:txgirl1229:

Again, I am a 2L, and from going through OCI this year, I got the impression that not many people outside of the top 25% were getting Big Law callbacks/offers. The market is still very tight, and firms are hiring less SA's all around. People with good interviewing skills in the top 10% had no problem getting 10+ callbacks, but people with good credentials (top 25%, other journal besides LR) were not faring as well. They might get ~5 callbacks, with only a few of those being firms that paid market.

I am a Texas resident and a military veteran, so I'm considering UT just because I might be able to get a tuition waiver under the Hazlewood Act.

However, I'm really worried about getting a job afterwards.

Why do you think the BigLaw callbacks from UT are so sparse? I was under the impression that UT was #1 for BigLaw in Texas, but do you think that any schools outside of Texas might have an advantage over UT, at least at the elite firms?

IF I practiced in Texas, I would prefer to work in Austin or San Antonio. What types of Biglaw opportunities do these cities have? Or does Dallas have most of the best legal jobs? Thanks for the info.

I definitely think that UT IS # 1 for Biglaw in Texas, but the market is reallly really tight right now. Firms that would have had classes of 25, now have classes of 7, firms that would have had a summer class of 10 are now hiring 3. These numbers mean that the firms can be absolutely selective, and insist on good grades, law review AND good personalities. I think that maybe at HYS or another highly-ranked T14 you would have a great chance at TX Biglaw (if you have TX ties), but I wouldn't go as far to say your chances would be better b/c there are so many TX alums at these firms that they really love to hire from Texas. During interview season I had a bunch of lawyers who loved talking with me about the older professors at UT or commiserating about all of the work on law review during football season, etc. It just gives you an extra connection.

UT is absolutely a good choice if you can get free tuition. And you will get a job, it just may not be a market-paying big firm job. Those opportunities are much fewer and I think that applies all across the T-14 as well as at TX. But, if you are on Law Review with good interviewing skills, the big law offers will roll in. The hard part is getting onto Law Review, and I do agree that a fair amount of chance (as well as some hard work) is involved. Hope that helps. If you want my specific stats + # of offers, I will be happy to share in a PM.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:30 am

Any idea on what the approximate avg. monthly cost of a 1 bedroom apartment near campus is??

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:42 am

tkgrrett wrote:Any idea on what the approximate avg. monthly cost of a 1 bedroom apartment near campus is??

Hyde park can be expensive, but if you start hunting early you should be able to find an affordable apartment. 600-1000ish I would say

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:52 am

Tiva wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:Any idea on what the approximate avg. monthly cost of a 1 bedroom apartment near campus is??

Hyde park can be expensive, but if you start hunting early you should be able to find an affordable apartment. 600-1000ish I would say

Thanks.. that isnt bad at all. Thats the typical rent range in the city I live in now.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:57 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
Tiva wrote:

Thanks.. that isnt bad at all. Thats the typical rent range in the city I live in now.

except they only allocate $7300/semester for housing/food/books/medical/transportation/etc

adrib

Postby adrib » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:50 pm

f0bolous wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
Tiva wrote:

except they only allocate $7300/semester for housing/food/books/medical/transportation/etc

i seriously don't know how one could live on the financial aid budget w/out a roommate. just....no way, man.

bmontminy

Postby bmontminy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:26 pm

i got an apartment further north. Nice area, gated, 738 sq. ft. for $595/mo. for a 1br. As you get further from campus, quality goes up and price down but you do lose some convenience as well.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:27 pm

ArchRoark wrote:

I live in Hyde Park, and I pay $1050 for a two bedroom/two bathroom duplex with double covered parking and a tiny yard for my dogs. There are some bargains out there if you look for them.

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:44 am

Got a phone call from a girl the other day to follow-up on my acceptance, see if I have questions etc. Very nice girl. Random q though- which students do they pick to do this? Are they hired and work in the admissions office or are they part of some club? Really random Q I know, was just very curious as to how they pick certain students to be their welcoming committee...

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:54 pm

Deuce wrote:Got a phone call from a girl the other day to follow-up on my acceptance, see if I have questions etc. Very nice girl. Random q though- which students do they pick to do this? Are they hired and work in the admissions office or are they part of some club? Really random Q I know, was just very curious as to how they pick certain students to be their welcoming committee...

not sure how strict the interview process is, but they had applications earlier in the semester for people interested in helping the admissions office

Gatyr

Postby Gatyr » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:10 am

How many of your peers were undergraduates at UT: A? I chose UT in favor of A&M and a few other schools because I figured being an undergraduate student there would help when it came time to apply for law school, but I've since learned that it seems to work the opposite way (at least for graduate schools).

I ask this because of one very, very smart and studious person I know who was denied entrance to the masters program of her choice because of the undergraduate school they attended. She went to Stanford and came to UT for her masters degrees just so that she would not have the same problem when she applied for PH.D. candidacy, and I've heard that her predicament is a common one. Thus, I'm worried now :\

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:11 pm

Gatyr wrote:How many of your peers were undergraduates at UT: A? I chose UT in favor of A&M and a few other schools because I figured being an undergraduate student there would help when it came time to apply for law school, but I've since learned that it seems to work the opposite way (at least for graduate schools).

I ask this because of one very, very smart and studious person I know who was denied entrance to the masters program of her choice because of the undergraduate school they attended. She went to Stanford and came to UT for her masters degrees just so that she would not have the same problem when she applied for PH.D. candidacy, and I've heard that her predicament is a common one. Thus, I'm worried now :\
Doesn't matter for law school. Lots of people here went to UT undergrad. As your friend found out, it's a bad idea get an undergrad degree and a Ph.D. at the same school, but for law school, it's irrelevant.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:39 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
Gatyr wrote:How many of your peers were undergraduates at UT: A? I chose UT in favor of A&M and a few other schools because I figured being an undergraduate student there would help when it came time to apply for law school, but I've since learned that it seems to work the opposite way (at least for graduate schools).

Doesn't matter for law school. Lots of people here went to UT undergrad. As your friend found out, it's a bad idea get an undergrad degree and a Ph.D. at the same school, but for law school, it's irrelevant.

Yeah, I know lots of my classmates who went here for UG.

Gatyr

Postby Gatyr » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:47 am

philosoraptor wrote:Doesn't matter for law school. Lots of people here went to UT undergrad. As your friend found out, it's a bad idea get an undergrad degree and a Ph.D. at the same school, but for law school, it's irrelevant.

JazzOne wrote:Yeah, I know lots of my classmates who went here for UG.

Beautiful. Thank you.

Magnifique1908

Postby Magnifique1908 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:57 pm

How generous is UT with need-based aid (i.e. aid other than loans)? Do you have to have an EFC of 0 to receive anything?

Also, any out of state students care to comment on life in general in Austin for a non-Texan and feelings about leaving Texas after graduation for employment?

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:07 pm

Magnifique1908 wrote:How generous is UT with need-based aid (i.e. aid other than loans)? Do you have to have an EFC of 0 to receive anything?

Also, any out of state students care to comment on life in general in Austin for a non-Texan and feelings about leaving Texas after graduation for employment?
I wouldn't expect substantial need-based grants from any school. It's not like college -- nearly everyone takes out loans.

Life in Austin is great for a non-Texan. It's a fantastic city. Anything more specific you're concerned or curious about?

I think about 40 percent of graduates leave the state, mostly in favor of DC, NYC, California, etc.

Magnifique1908

Postby Magnifique1908 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:16 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
Magnifique1908 wrote:How generous is UT with need-based aid (i.e. aid other than loans)? Do you have to have an EFC of 0 to receive anything?

I wouldn't expect substantial need-based grants from any school. It's not like college -- nearly everyone takes out loans.

Life in Austin is great for a non-Texan. It's a fantastic city. Anything more specific you're concerned or curious about?

I think about 40 percent of graduates leave the state, mostly in favor of DC, NYC, California, etc.

I'm from Ohio lol. I have no clue where I want to practice. I have a friend from high school who lives down there (not in school though) but that's about all the connection I have to Texas.

I just want to know if I'll have the option of trying to get back to Ohio if I so choose, or anywhere else for that matter. Then again, if I fall in love with Texas, I may just stay there.

What about the minority presence? Will I feel like an outcast being a minority and a midwesterner? :lol:

Edited to add: I'm also an Eagles fan lol....but pretty open to changing my college football allegiance....I'm used to being the awkward fan though, I'm a Wolverine fan in the Buckeye State :lol:
Last edited by Magnifique1908 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Burgstaller04

Postby Burgstaller04 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:53 pm

Somebody asked before and i'm curious. Does anyone know anything about ASW? Do they reimburse? What kinds of activities are planned?

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:42 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:Somebody asked before and i'm curious. Does anyone know anything about ASW? Do they reimburse? What kinds of activities are planned?
They reimburse for some people based on numbers. I'm guessing the cutoffs change from year to year. As far as activities, the highlight this spring was definitely the Segway tour of downtown and the Capitol grounds.

Burgstaller04

Postby Burgstaller04 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:32 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
Burgstaller04 wrote:Somebody asked before and i'm curious. Does anyone know anything about ASW? Do they reimburse? What kinds of activities are planned?
They reimburse for some people based on numbers. I'm guessing the cutoffs change from year to year. As far as activities, the highlight this spring was definitely the Segway tour of downtown and the Capitol grounds.
I thought I remembered something like that. sounds cool!

linda90

Postby linda90 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:39 pm

To get into law review, is GPA the only factor that matters? or the process is a combination of GPA and written competition?

Do many people in law school have cars?

Since I got accepted with out of state tuition, besides student loans, are there any other opportunities to get money such as fellowships or teaching assistant?

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:59 pm

linda90 wrote:To get into law review, is GPA the only factor that matters? or the process is a combination of GPA and written competition?
I think that everyone has to do the write-on but that grades are a big factor. Not sure though, since I won't have to worry about journals for another few months.

Do many people in law school have cars?
Yes, but it's entirely possible to get around without one, and I know several 1Ls who don't have cars here. UT students ride all the buses for free, and Austin is very bike-friendly. I ride my bike to class almost every day.

Since I got accepted with out of state tuition, besides student loans, are there any other opportunities to get money such as fellowships or teaching assistant?
Yes, depending on your interests and goals. You'll get plenty of opportunities to learn about fellowships. After 1L year, you can become a TQ for legal writing (if you're insanely good at memos) or a mentor. Research assistantships sometimes become available, too -- I've applied for one next semester, though I doubt I'll get it. Look around and you'll find stuff.

Also, congrats on your acceptance!

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:01 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
linda90 wrote:To get into law review, is GPA the only factor that matters? or the process is a combination of GPA and written competition?
I think that everyone has to do the write-on but that grades are a big factor. Not sure though, since I won't have to worry about journals for another few months.

This is correct. Everyone must do the write-on to get on law review. For my volume, they took 10 members based solely on the writing sample. The other 43 members were chosen based on some formula weighing grades higher than the writing sample.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”