Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
zengyy

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby zengyy » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:03 pm

keayts wrote:
zengyy wrote:
LawSchoolWannaBe wrote:
zengyy wrote:I am wondering where we can find info regarding laptop requirements. Which operating system does UT support? Is a 17" laptop too heavy to carry around everyday? etc.

Thanks.

If by requirements you mean what is required for exams, here's the exam software FAQ: --LinkRemoved--

I've seen people use both Macs and PCs with no problems.

17" is pretty big. I'm not sure it is too heavy, but it's a sizable load.

Thank you very much for the link! Besides the exam, are there any courses or homework that need special software or anything? Thanks.

Not to my knowledge, there isn't. And if you need a copy of MS Office, you can bring your laptop (or desktop) to the helpdesk at the computer lab in the law school and they'll install Office 2010 on your computer. The helpdesk is located on the 5th floor, in the section of the building housing the new faculty offices. Just get off the elevator and you'll see it.

Thanks so much for the info!

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Tue May 03, 2011 3:59 am

keayts wrote:
zengyy wrote:
LawSchoolWannaBe wrote:
zengyy wrote:I am wondering where we can find info regarding laptop requirements. Which operating system does UT support? Is a 17" laptop too heavy to carry around everyday? etc.

Thanks.

If by requirements you mean what is required for exams, here's the exam software FAQ: --LinkRemoved--

I've seen people use both Macs and PCs with no problems.

17" is pretty big. I'm not sure it is too heavy, but it's a sizable load.

Thank you very much for the link! Besides the exam, are there any courses or homework that need special software or anything? Thanks.

Not to my knowledge, there isn't. And if you need a copy of MS Office, you can bring your laptop (or desktop) to the helpdesk at the computer lab in the law school and they'll install Office 2010 on your computer. The helpdesk is located on the 5th floor, in the section of the building housing the new faculty offices. Just get off the elevator and you'll see it.

So, let me make sure I'm reading this correctly. UT students get Microsoft Office for free?

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Tue May 03, 2011 11:22 am

lisjjen wrote:So, let me make sure I'm reading this correctly. UT students get Microsoft Office for free?
Yes. Don't buy it before you get here.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Tue May 17, 2011 10:40 pm

I have a rather old computer (2007 Macbook, not Pro), and I am trying to find a copy of the Extegrity Exam software to see if it works to help me determine if I need to buy a new computer.

Unfortunately, the download link on the webpage is down. Any idea where to find another link?

japes

Postby japes » Wed May 18, 2011 1:10 am

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Wed May 18, 2011 2:11 am

japes wrote:http://www.exam4.com/

Found it before. The link on the UT website is dead.

I assume there are no laptop requirements besides what is necessary to run Extegrity? I'd rather buy as little as possible.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Sun May 29, 2011 12:10 am

This might seem random, but it's essential to a search I'm doing right now. I just got a XPS 15z for graduation and now I'm looking for a great bag to put it in.

How big of a bag should I get? At my undergrad, I would only take my little netbook on some days and put enough books in my messenger bag to tear its seams on others.

I was going to get a nice laptop sleeve for the days at UT when all I need is my laptop to take notes, but how many papers and books will I have to lug around most of the time? I suppose I'm especially asking JazzOne and anyone else on the/a journal, because my guess is that people on one of the journals might carry more materials. If I don't grade onto the main journal, I fully intend to write for one of the others.

Thanks

LawSchoolWannaBe

Postby LawSchoolWannaBe » Sun May 29, 2011 8:58 am

lisjjen wrote:This might seem random, but it's essential to a search I'm doing right now. I just got a XPS 15z for graduation and now I'm looking for a great bag to put it in.

How big of a bag should I get? At my undergrad, I would only take my little netbook on some days and put enough books in my messenger bag to tear its seams on others.

I was going to get a nice laptop sleeve for the days at UT when all I need is my laptop to take notes, but how many papers and books will I have to lug around most of the time? I suppose I'm especially asking JazzOne and anyone else on the/a journal, because my guess is that people on one of the journals might carry more materials. If I don't grade onto the main journal, I fully intend to write for one of the others.

Thanks

Lots of people just put their computer straight in their backpack or in a sleeve inside their backpack. Nothing too fancy.

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Sun May 29, 2011 10:37 am

lisjjen wrote:This might seem random, but it's essential to a search I'm doing right now. I just got a XPS 15z for graduation and now I'm looking for a great bag to put it in.

Thanks

I used this monster for undergrad and I plan to use it for law school. Will probably have the same comp as you, and I plan on lugging around casebooks/supplements/etc. if I need to.

It's a bit pricey but it's honestly the most durable and versatile bag I've ever owned. I tore the zipper on my last one after about 5 years of heavy use and I went right back and bought another one.

http://www.amazon.com/SwissGear-Carbon- ... B001LA57ZQ

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Sun May 29, 2011 12:03 pm

Within reason, cost isn't really an issue - I want an awesome bag that I'll never regret. Right now I'm deciding between this one

--ImageRemoved--

or this one

--ImageRemoved--

TheOcho

Postby TheOcho » Tue May 31, 2011 3:08 am

Does Philip Bobbit still teach at UT? If so, any word on what his classes are like?

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Tue May 31, 2011 3:18 am

TheOcho wrote:Does Philip Bobbit still teach at UT? If so, any word on what his classes are like?

Yep: http://utdirect.utexas.edu/loreg/pcrs.WBX?id=pbobbitt

I dont think he's a full-time professor at UT, but I don't really know. And Im just a rising 2L, so would love to hear if any rising 3L's/graduates have taken him--was it a gunnerish class make-up? Hard to get into?

I was thinking of taking him for my spring semester if he teaches that con law 2 class again.

japes

Postby japes » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:44 pm

How widely available is summer public interest funding? I've been told that Texas Fellowships are offered for this purpose but nobody's ever told me how many of these are available. Are tehre other public interest funding options?

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:39 pm

japes wrote:How widely available is summer public interest funding? I've been told that Texas Fellowships are offered for this purpose but nobody's ever told me how many of these are available. Are tehre other public interest funding options?
I have not been impressed with my experience (direct and indirect) involving school funding for 1L summer public-interest work. Texas Law Fellowships is the best-known source for this; it involves a pledge drive, with lots of meaningless slogans and zany antics from students and professors. (I didn't apply for TLF.) The number of fellowships available depends on the amount donated. The selection process is a joke -- for every $25 you donate, you get six votes, out of the zillions of people who applied. You vote for your friends because you don't know what applicants plan to do with the money or whether they even need it. So it's basically a popularity contest, but no "campaigning" is allowed. It's also held too early in the year, before a lot of people know what they're doing for the summer. Overall, not a great way to hand out money, if you ask me.

Similarly, based on some results I've seen from Career Services-sponsored scholarships, there is very little money available, it doesn't seem to matter whether a recipient needs or already has funding, and it's tough to tell what criteria the CSO uses to award them. So yeah, don't expect a lot of public-interest grants to flow your way 1L summer. Get loans and live frugally, and sign up to receive credit for your internship if you can.

onmytoes812

Postby onmytoes812 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:51 am

serious question....any ideas on getting roommates? i'm OOS and i don't know ANYONE in Austin (besides a friend's parents, who are not currently seeking an extra roommate). also, the COA budget is really low. goodness.

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:19 am

onmytoes812 wrote:serious question....any ideas on getting roommates? i'm OOS and i don't know ANYONE in Austin (besides a friend's parents, who are not currently seeking an extra roommate). also, the COA budget is really low. goodness.
Use the freshlaw forums -- that's where I found my roommate last fall. The 2014 Facebook group, when it's formed, is also a good option.

japes

Postby japes » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:37 am

The group is already formed. There's a link in the TLS c/o 2014 thread in the first post IIRC

onmytoes812

Postby onmytoes812 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:16 pm

another housing question. where can i find a 1BR with W/D connections on a UT line (less than 30 minutes to the school), a quick drive, or within walking distance that is under $700?

i don't want to have to get on 35 or 71, and i don't want to be in a sketchy part of town/complex.

also, does "on-site laundry" mean they are coin-operated, or are they free to use?

this is SO overwhelming. haha

japes

Postby japes » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:50 am

Ifyou look you should find places in your budget in north campus / Hyde park.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:49 am

onmytoes812 wrote:another housing question. where can i find a 1BR with W/D connections on a UT line (less than 30 minutes to the school), a quick drive, or within walking distance that is under $700?

i don't want to have to get on 35 or 71, and i don't want to be in a sketchy part of town/complex.

also, does "on-site laundry" mean they are coin-operated, or are they free to use?

this is SO overwhelming. haha

Study craigslist like the LSAT. There's tons of great stuff a mile or two away if you look.

awilson11

Postby awilson11 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:17 pm

Has anyone gotten any confirmation from the law school that the letter of intent was received?

japes

Postby japes » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:19 pm

I did.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:00 am

Just dropped my LOI along with the deposit to my apartment

&CanIGetAHotTub?

Postby &CanIGetAHotTub? » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:33 pm

Tag

keayts

Postby keayts » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:32 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
TheOcho wrote:Does Philip Bobbit still teach at UT? If so, any word on what his classes are like?

Yep: http://utdirect.utexas.edu/loreg/pcrs.WBX?id=pbobbitt

I dont think he's a full-time professor at UT, but I don't really know. And Im just a rising 2L, so would love to hear if any rising 3L's/graduates have taken him--was it a gunnerish class make-up? Hard to get into?

I was thinking of taking him for my spring semester if he teaches that con law 2 class again.

I heard his national security seminar consisted of going to his house and drinking scotch and listening to him tell stories of LBJ (who he's related to). No idea what he's like outside a lecture.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”