Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby lisjjen » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:48 pm

Also, what are the upper limits on rent that you can afford with the student loans they allot?

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:58 pm

lisjjen wrote:Also, what are the upper limits on rent that you can afford with the student loans they allot?


Depends how much ya eat, since they estimate room and board together. If you want 4k for food for the year, you should keep your apt under 550.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby lisjjen » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:01 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
lisjjen wrote:Also, what are the upper limits on rent that you can afford with the student loans they allot?


Depends how much ya eat, since they estimate room and board together. If you want 4k for food for the year, you should keep your apt under 550.


joke?

User avatar
Leira7905
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:42 pm

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby Leira7905 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:05 pm

lisjjen wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
lisjjen wrote:Also, what are the upper limits on rent that you can afford with the student loans they allot?


Depends how much ya eat, since they estimate room and board together. If you want 4k for food for the year, you should keep your apt under 550.


joke?


Doesn't seem that unreasonable.... I'd probably eat a little less and find a better place, or get a couple roommates...

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby lisjjen » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:08 pm

.

ETA: I'm an idiot. I pulled out the calculator and that's completely reasonable.
Last edited by lisjjen on Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:09 pm

lisjjen wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
lisjjen wrote:Also, what are the upper limits on rent that you can afford with the student loans they allot?


Depends how much ya eat, since they estimate room and board together. If you want 4k for food for the year, you should keep your apt under 550.


joke?


sadly not. UT seems to lowball their room and board figures. They also estimate about 3k for miscellaneous purchases, so you can use a bit of that for a nicer place/utilities.

User avatar
Leira7905
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:42 pm

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby Leira7905 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:11 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
lisjjen wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
lisjjen wrote:Also, what are the upper limits on rent that you can afford with the student loans they allot?


Depends how much ya eat, since they estimate room and board together. If you want 4k for food for the year, you should keep your apt under 550.


joke?


sadly not. UT seems to lowball their room and board figures. They also estimate about 3k for miscellaneous purchases, so you can use a bit of that for a nicer place/utilities.


Also, a nice summer gig would certainly help with this, among other things.... here's hoping!

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby lisjjen » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:17 pm

Leira7905 wrote:Also, a nice summer gig would certainly help with this, among other things.... here's hoping!


yeah.... not really counting on it for 1L

Although this leads to an important question for the thread. If I got a 1L job working for a judge in the little town I grew up in (30,000) would that look bad on my resume?

User avatar
Leira7905
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:42 pm

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby Leira7905 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:21 pm

lisjjen wrote:
Leira7905 wrote:Also, a nice summer gig would certainly help with this, among other things.... here's hoping!


yeah.... not really counting on it for 1L

Although this leads to an important question for the thread. If I got a job working for a judge in the little town I grew up in (30,000) would that look bad on my resume?


I don't think that would look bad, of course, I wouldn't accept it for sure without first trying for something a little more substantial. Either way, working for a Judge, any Judge, is better than nothing fo sho.

BeachandRun23
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:20 am

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby BeachandRun23 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:04 pm

Re: Letter of Intent

I understand UT requires a letter of intent in lieu of a second deposit. When is this due? Also, is this binding - meaning can I still remain on waitlists after submitting this letter?

TheOcho
Posts: 394
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:46 pm

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby TheOcho » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:32 pm

BeachandRun23 wrote:Re: Letter of Intent

I understand UT requires a letter of intent in lieu of a second deposit. When is this due? Also, is this binding - meaning can I still remain on waitlists after submitting this letter?


I think it's due in June and yes, it is binding. I think that means you have to withdraw from schools you are WL at.

User avatar
Leira7905
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:42 pm

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby Leira7905 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:50 pm

TheOcho wrote:
BeachandRun23 wrote:Re: Letter of Intent

I understand UT requires a letter of intent in lieu of a second deposit. When is this due? Also, is this binding - meaning can I still remain on waitlists after submitting this letter?


I think it's due in June and yes, it is binding. I think that means you have to withdraw from schools you are WL at.

From where did you acquire this info? Was it in the admit packet? I don't recall......

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:56 pm

Leira7905 wrote:
TheOcho wrote:
BeachandRun23 wrote:Re: Letter of Intent

I understand UT requires a letter of intent in lieu of a second deposit. When is this due? Also, is this binding - meaning can I still remain on waitlists after submitting this letter?


I think it's due in June and yes, it is binding. I think that means you have to withdraw from schools you are WL at.

From where did you acquire this info? Was it in the admit packet? I don't recall......


The little "did you know" box on the right side of the freshlaw site

User avatar
Leira7905
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:42 pm

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby Leira7905 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:58 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:The little "did you know" box on the right side of the freshlaw site


Ahhhhh.... Thanks!

BeachandRun23
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:20 am

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby BeachandRun23 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:52 pm

Leira7905 wrote:
TheOcho wrote:
BeachandRun23 wrote:Re: Letter of Intent

I understand UT requires a letter of intent in lieu of a second deposit. When is this due? Also, is this binding - meaning can I still remain on waitlists after submitting this letter?


I think it's due in June and yes, it is binding. I think that means you have to withdraw from schools you are WL at.

From where did you acquire this info? Was it in the admit packet? I don't recall......


Thanks for the info, I see it now. I hope it is not early June. While I am very happy to attend to UT, I would like to remain on the waitlists until atleast mid june (past the second seat deposit deadline) to give myself a chance of being admitted.

Ive never heard of a school forcing you to attend in June. Even schools like harvard, columbia...etc let you ride out waitlists. Bummer.

juliachild-ish
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:34 pm

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby juliachild-ish » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:32 am

I have a question for current Texas students: do you know any good apartment brokers/brokerage groups in Austin? Here in Chicago we have tons of groups with names like "Apartment Finders," "Apartment Guys," etc. You sign up for a meeting, tell them what you want, and they take you around to a few different properties in an afternoon. Some are helpful, and some only show you crap stuff they can't unload on anyone else, but they're usually a better use of time than trying to look at properties on Craigslist and schedule individual meetings with landlords.

I'm planning to come to Austin to look at housing maybe in late May or mid-June, and can only go for a couple days, so something like a broker might be helpful, if it exists in Austin. If not, how did anyone else find their housing? Craigslist? Driving around looking for "For Rent" signs?

Thanks!!

User avatar
japes
Posts: 234
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:24 pm

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby japes » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:53 am

Yes, that's how I'd go about finding housing and have in the past. There are plenty of apt. locators near campus. I'd contact them before your visit so they'll have keys etc ready.

TheOcho
Posts: 394
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:46 pm

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby TheOcho » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:09 pm

BeachandRun23 wrote:
Leira7905 wrote:
TheOcho wrote:
BeachandRun23 wrote:Re: Letter of Intent

I understand UT requires a letter of intent in lieu of a second deposit. When is this due? Also, is this binding - meaning can I still remain on waitlists after submitting this letter?


I think it's due in June and yes, it is binding. I think that means you have to withdraw from schools you are WL at.

From where did you acquire this info? Was it in the admit packet? I don't recall......


Thanks for the info, I see it now. I hope it is not early June. While I am very happy to attend to UT, I would like to remain on the waitlists until atleast mid june (past the second seat deposit deadline) to give myself a chance of being admitted.

Ive never heard of a school forcing you to attend in June. Even schools like harvard, columbia...etc let you ride out waitlists. Bummer.


I'm with ya. There are a couple of schools that I would wait out until early July, if allowed. They could all make my life a little less stressful if they would just accept or reject me before June 1. Unfortunately, I find that highly unlikely.

onmytoes812
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:03 pm

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby onmytoes812 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:16 pm

2 questions...when does UT send scholarship information? it's not with acceptance, according to everything i've read.

also, do they award need-based scholarships at all? if so, what qualifies you for that?

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby lisjjen » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:34 pm

onmytoes812 wrote:also, do they award need-based scholarships at all? if so, what qualifies you for that?


Need.

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:38 pm

lisjjen wrote:
onmytoes812 wrote:also, do they award need-based scholarships at all? if so, what qualifies you for that?


Need.


haha hilarious. Need and a Fafsa qualify you for need based aid. But don't expect any. The texas legislature is dragging its feet in appropriating need based funds. If they do get money, UT will probably take care of in-staters first.

Merit-based aid comes 2 weeks after acceptance.

Edit:
lisjjen, I'm glad you want back to the old 'tar. I wasn't feelin the star wars one.
Last edited by nonprofit-prophet on Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheOcho
Posts: 394
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:46 pm

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby TheOcho » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:38 pm

onmytoes812 wrote:2 questions...when does UT send scholarship information? it's not with acceptance, according to everything i've read.

also, do they award need-based scholarships at all? if so, what qualifies you for that?


A week or two after your acceptance stuff comes in.

User avatar
Pricer
Posts: 558
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby Pricer » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:41 pm

From another thread:


nonprofit-prophet wrote:Does anyone know if we get any swag after all the deposits are in? I think a friend told me a while back that they sent him a hat, but my memory is fuzzy



Anyone know anything about this? Most schools send stickers, shirts, etc., but I haven't heard anything for UT.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby lisjjen » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:47 pm

Pricer wrote:From another thread:


nonprofit-prophet wrote:Does anyone know if we get any swag after all the deposits are in? I think a friend told me a while back that they sent him a hat, but my memory is fuzzy



Anyone know anything about this? Most schools send stickers, shirts, etc., but I haven't heard anything for UT.


Found this for class of '13.

adrib wrote:did you guys already get your sweet swag for sending in your deposit? I got a burnt orange bandana that says UT Law Class of 2013, a notepad thing with the same thing, and some OMG AWESOME dark chocolate made locally. Honestly, even if UT hadn't been my first choice, the chocolate would have won me over.

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:49 pm

lisjjen wrote:
Pricer wrote:From another thread:


nonprofit-prophet wrote:Does anyone know if we get any swag after all the deposits are in? I think a friend told me a while back that they sent him a hat, but my memory is fuzzy



Anyone know anything about this? Most schools send stickers, shirts, etc., but I haven't heard anything for UT.


Found this for class of '13.

adrib wrote:did you guys already get your sweet swag for sending in your deposit? I got a burnt orange bandana that says UT Law Class of 2013, a notepad thing with the same thing, and some OMG AWESOME dark chocolate made locally. Honestly, even if UT hadn't been my first choice, the chocolate would have won me over.



Awesome find! What was the date on that post?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Skyline55 and 2 guests