Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
philosoraptor

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby philosoraptor » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:30 pm

charliebrownwn wrote:Can anyone speak to how hard it is to get a public interest job for 1L summer in California (bay area or LA)?

EDIT: I realize this is really specific. Looking for any word on someone who looked for a public interest job outside of Texas their 1L summer.
If your definition of public interest includes government, then I have such a post in my home state. It wasn't terribly hard to get -- I had a connection that I pursued over Christmas break, I interviewed in January, and they called me in February. An office like theirs typically wouldn't think to recruit at Texas, but I made the effort to seek them out, and they ended up picking me instead of their usual in-state 3L. That's what you have to do if you want an out-of-state public interest/non-federal-government job.

More generally, I've heard of plenty of people getting nonprofit/gov't spots in a bunch of states. The 1L summer jobs are out there. Just take the time to look for them.

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:37 pm

To everyone who visited at ASD and decided on Texas, congratulations and welcome to our awesome community. (If you happened to talk to any 1Ls and they seemed cranky, it was probably because of our final LRW briefs, which are due tomorrow morning. Don't hold it against us!)

To everyone (whether you visited or not) still on the fence, let us know if you have any more general-interest questions we can answer while you make up your mind.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:42 pm

charliebrownwn wrote:Can anyone speak to how hard it is to get a public interest job for 1L summer in California (bay area or LA)?

EDIT: I realize this is really specific. Looking for any word on someone who looked for a public interest job outside of Texas their 1L summer.

Here's a list of TLF candidates (TLF provides summer funding for students working public interest jobs): http://texaslawfellowships.org/main/?p=358

A lot of the jobs students have are in Texas, but there should be a decent amount of out of state jobs. Keep in mind that this may be a pretty incomplete list, since students may have not signed up to be considered for funding from TLF due to other funding or other reasons.

smigner

Postby smigner » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:18 pm

philosoraptor wrote:To everyone (whether you visited or not) still on the fence, let us know if you have any more general-interest questions we can answer while you make up your mind.

Here's one: I've recently heard a few concerning points raised about the nature of UT's community, specifically regarding what has been described as an overly competitive rather than collegial atmosphere. This dovetails with one of my primary worries about UT which is its size. My other option is at schools with a considerably smaller incoming class than UT, and, having come from a relatively small private school at undergrad, I don't want to find the environment overwhelming.

Thoughts?

joesrevenge

Postby joesrevenge » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:05 pm

smigner wrote:
philosoraptor wrote:To everyone (whether you visited or not) still on the fence, let us know if you have any more general-interest questions we can answer while you make up your mind.

Here's one: I've recently heard a few concerning points raised about the nature of UT's community, specifically regarding what has been described as an overly competitive rather than collegial atmosphere. This dovetails with one of my primary worries about UT which is its size. My other option is at schools with a considerably smaller incoming class than UT, and, having come from a relatively small private school at undergrad, I don't want to find the environment overwhelming.

Thoughts?

I am a 2L so i cant speak as to the 1Ls but I think my class was a good mix of competitive and collegial. Everyone was friendly, but around finals time people become more reserved and less likely to be helpful (not everyone though).

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:34 pm

smigner wrote:

Thoughts?

1L opinion-There's a lot of smart people who are hardworking, but I have yet to encounter a person who just comes off as negatively competitive. I don't know of anyone who won't try to help other people out, when it comes to studying, getting notes for missed classes, etc.

In terms of size- I came from a tiny high school and a small college. When considering different law schools, small class size was definitely a plus for me. That said, I have 0 complaints about class size, in or outside of the classroom. 1L's are broken into 4 sections of ~100 and those sections are broken into 4 small sections. 1st semester you have 2 classes with your small section (one of which is LRW) and 2 classes with your full section. 2nd semester is 3 classes with your full section and your brief writing class is with your small section. My closest friends in law school probably come from my small section, but it's nice to have the option of different groups, whether that is in your large section or other large sections. I didn't find the environment overwhelming in the least and I actually prefer bigger class sizes now.

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:16 pm

I have one full day in Austin (+ one evening when I get in I guess, and the morning when I leave).

Here's my plan:

--Wake up take tour of UT Campus - 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM
--Take tour of Law School 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM
--Take a bike tour of Austin, including through Zilker Park 1:00 - 4:00
--Find some fucking rad BBQ for dinner.
--Take riverboat bat sightseeing tour thing (possible intoxicated) 7:30 - 8:30
--Find some live music / bars on 6th street

Thoughts? Missing something big?

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:18 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:I have one full day in Austin (+ one evening when I get in I guess, and the morning when I leave).

Here's my plan:

This sounds like an awesome trip, have fun!

japes

Postby japes » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:09 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:I have one full day in Austin (+ one evening when I get in I guess, and the morning when I leave).

Here's my plan:

warning: you are going to fall in love

If you're biking around, there is a pretty rad bmx area at duncan park: http://www.austinparks.org/apfweb/park.php?parkId=242

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:32 am

Is anyone planning on visiting Austin this weekend? If so, please understand that what you will encounter (Texas relays weekend) is not at all representative of the city. It is arguably the worst weekend to be in Austin in any given year.

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:21 pm

joesrevenge wrote:
smigner wrote:

Thoughts?

I am a 2L so i cant speak as to the 1Ls but I think my class was a good mix of competitive and collegial. Everyone was friendly, but around finals time people become more reserved and less likely to be helpful (not everyone though).
Pretty much true. There's always going to be a baseline of competition, but that helps keep us focused and on our game, as it were. The great thing about UT is that people tend not to be jackasses about it. We know there's a good chance that a lot of us will be colleagues someday, and most people are very professional about things like intraclass competition.

Then again, my section likes to think of itself as the chill section -- even our gunners are fairly tame -- and I do know through friends' anecdotes that competitiveness/jackassery varies by section.

As far as class size, UT does a fantastic job breaking down the classes into sections, societies and mentor groups. Half your first-semester 1L classes will be ~25 people, and you have an automatic small group that will do a lot of fun social things together, whether officially organized or not. And you can always find your groups of friends outside your small classes.

Tarheel10

Postby Tarheel10 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:12 pm

Going up for three nights for a mini visit. Any suggestions on where to stay cheaply near campus?

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:41 pm

Tarheel10 wrote:Going up for three nights for a mini visit. Any suggestions on where to stay cheaply near campus?

I would use hotwire to find something in the area of downtown/campus. there's a double tree at I35 and MLK blvd that should be okay, and there is the AT&T business center hotel on campus. If price is a concern, hotwire should do you pretty well. When are you coming up?

Tarheel10

Postby Tarheel10 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:21 pm

Thanks, I'll see what I can find. I'm there this weekend. Really looking forward to it. Any ideas on where to rent a road bicycle for the weekend? And good sites that list things to do?

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:33 am

Tarheel10 wrote:Thanks, I'll see what I can find. I'm there this weekend. Really looking forward to it. Any ideas on where to rent a road bicycle for the weekend? And good sites that list things to do?

I don't know about bike rental, but a google search should yield something. There's a lot to do in Austin, so it kind of depends on what your interests are. Bat season is just beginning, so if you wanted to go to the Congress Ave bridge at sunset one night to watch the bats that's always fun. Find a show to see, maybe?

japes

Postby japes » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:59 am

Marionberry wrote:
Tarheel10 wrote:Thanks, I'll see what I can find. I'm there this weekend. Really looking forward to it. Any ideas on where to rent a road bicycle for the weekend? And good sites that list things to do?

I don't know about bike rental, but a google search should yield something. There's a lot to do in Austin, so it kind of depends on what your interests are. Bat season is just beginning, so if you wanted to go to the Congress Ave bridge at sunset one night to watch the bats that's always fun. Find a show to see, maybe?

Ditto. If you're looking for a show, check out austinshowlist.com - it's a pretty good compilation of who's playing where on any given night.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:34 pm

Also, a correction to my earlier post. Texas Relays weekend is next weekend, if anyone is planning on visiting then.

japes

Postby japes » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:47 pm

Also of note for those visiting this weekend: Big Boi (of Outkast fame) is playing a free show Saturday night on campus.

kfresha

Postby kfresha » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:03 pm

japes wrote:Also of note for those visiting this weekend: Big Boi (of Outkast fame) is playing a free show Saturday night on campus.

Maaaan I wish I was visiting this weekend now...

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:38 pm

japes wrote:Also of note for those visiting this weekend: Big Boi (of Outkast fame) is playing a free show Saturday night on campus.

lolwut? How often does awesome shit like that happen?

Also. Back to asking none LS related questions. So I know roaches and bugs are manageable, but it is easier to manage them inside? That is to say, can I sit outside for a couple of hours on a porch or balcony at night without expecting to find something crawling on me? I was only there for a few days and it wasn't really that humid.

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:02 pm

lisjjen wrote:

Also. Back to asking none LS related questions. So I know roaches and bugs are manageable, but it is easier to manage them inside? That is to say, can I sit outside for a couple of hours on a porch or balcony at night without expecting to find something crawling on me? I was only there for a few days and it wasn't really that humid.

40 Acres Fest!! Last year was Girl Talk and it was uh-maze-ing.

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:03 pm

lisjjen wrote:

The music scene in Austin is ridiculous and the university gets free shows pretty regularly.

Roaches and bugs? lol It completely depends on where you live. Some apartments are gross and don't do adequate pest control. Some are better about it. I've lived in both types, and I'm currently in an apt where I haven't seen a single bug in the year I've lived here. Given that it's two dirty, beer drinking, garbage food eating college guys living here it's pretty impressive.

When you go outside in the summer you will need to wear bug spray or prepare to swat away mosquitoes. And June bugs. You get used to it though. As far as humidity is concerned, Austin really isn't that humid. Houston is.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:31 pm

CMDantes wrote:
lisjjen wrote:

The music scene in Austin is ridiculous and the university gets free shows pretty regularly.

Roaches and bugs? lol It completely depends on where you live. Some apartments are gross and don't do adequate pest control. Some are better about it. I've lived in both types, and I'm currently in an apt where I haven't seen a single bug in the year I've lived here. Given that it's two dirty, beer drinking, garbage food eating college guys living here it's pretty impressive.

When you go outside in the summer you will need to wear bug spray or prepare to swat away mosquitoes. And June bugs. You get used to it though. As far as humidity is concerned, Austin really isn't that humid. Houston is.

How do you find out how good their pest control is? Also, I'm OK with beetles. It's roaches that get me.

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:03 am

lisjjen wrote:
CMDantes wrote:
lisjjen wrote:

How do you find out how good their pest control is? Also, I'm OK with beetles. It's roaches that get me.

You can't really tell, when you ask them any respectable place will tell you they do pest control. Usually the newer or recently renovated buildings will be better about it I've found. Also pay attention to how well maintained the other areas of the building/complex are.

Just from my experience living here a few years and in several different apartments.

Snooker

Postby Snooker » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:23 am

barklm wrote:Would someone be able to tell me how the diversity is in the Austin area and at the school?

Thanks!

The law school is very diverse, afaik, it has the highest % minority of any T14. There's a very strong community for each of the Asian, Hispanic, African-American, and LGBT groups. Minority students at Texas also achieve lots of success--last year's law review Editor in Chief is Mexican American; the International Law Journal's was Jewish. All of the journal boards elect openly LGBT people to prominent positions, and numerous minorities. It's very inclusive and integrated as well, I don't get the sense that there's as much self-segregation on other campuses. Compared to my experience at an Ivy school in the northeast, UT has addressed the issues a lot better.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”