Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
de5igual

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby de5igual » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:11 pm

Rory1987 wrote:Ummm, to be more specific, where should someone who may be described as a hipster go to hangout?

prob soco or east side, but really, this town is teeming with hipsters

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:25 pm

f0bolous wrote:
Rory1987 wrote:Ummm, to be more specific, where should someone who may be described as a hipster go to hangout?

prob soco or east side, but really, this town is teeming with hipsters

--ImageRemoved--
I spend too much time on Photoshop.

radio-edit

Postby radio-edit » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:32 pm

Sorry if I'm telling you something you already know, but:

http://www.last.fm/events/+place/United+States/Austin

You can adjust it to the days you're in town.

Also, there should be very few places in Austin you feel out of place. A color-codes hipster/bro population map of the city would be a super fun project, if someone could find a reliable way to survey hipsters without any of them admitting to being hipsters. Do bros admit to being bros?

jhw123

Postby jhw123 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:17 am

Rory1987 wrote:What is the hipster to bro ratio at UT?

Also, what parts of Austin are good to visit? What are the young, hip parts of town with bars, clubs, music venues, et cetera?

I know that only 35% of the class is OOS, but do you know have many Northeasterners you get? Many people from Philly, NYC, DC, Boston, Pittsburgh, et cetera? Or are most people from other Southern states?

How hard would it be to get work (not necessarily BigLaw but midlaw or something above the poverty level) somewhere in the Northeast? I love the idea of living and studying in Austin for three years (plus UT gave me a bunch of money) but I ultimately want to return to the NE and fear I may have difficulty doing so. I have gotten into some T14s and Vandy and Fordham and BU and GWU, but I REALLY want a reason to go to UT. Someone qualm my fears about being stuck in Texas forever if I decide to matriculate at UT.

Okay, maybe I'm totally off here, but I get the feeling that any top law school is filled with what you would expect: nerds. Sure, some students might be the "hipsters" or the "preps" or whatever else, but let's be real here: anyone who wants to devote the next three years of his/her life to the textbook is an n-e-r-d (the the best sense, of course). Bottom line, I think finding kindred spirits will be relativity easy at any top school. Also, Rory1987, if it makes you feel any better, I'm also from the Northeast. Since I'm using an anecdotal example, that should trump the OOS statistics.

Burgstaller04

Postby Burgstaller04 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:58 am

radio-edit wrote:Do bros admit to being bros?

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=145335

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:16 am

Burgstaller04 wrote:
radio-edit wrote:Do bros admit to being bros?

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=145335

True bros don't have to admit to being bros. People know.

I agree with the nerd part, though. Despite what category any of us think we fit into, we are about to spend our next three years buried beneath law books at the #14 law school in the country.

Rory1987

Postby Rory1987 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:23 pm

radio-edit wrote:

Sorry if I'm telling you something you already know, but:

http://www.last.fm/events/+place/United+States/Austin

You can adjust it to the days you're in town.

Also, there should be very few places in Austin you feel out of place. A color-codes hipster/bro population map of the city would be a super fun project, if someone could find a reliable way to survey hipsters without any of them admitting to being hipsters. Do bros admit to being bros?

hahaha, thanks man. And yeah, I knew about it :lol:

Rory1987

Postby Rory1987 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:24 pm

jhw123 wrote:

Also, what parts of Austin are good to visit? What are the young, hip parts of town with bars, clubs, music venues, et cetera?

I know that only 35% of the class is OOS, but do you know have many Northeasterners you get? Many people from Philly, NYC, DC, Boston, Pittsburgh, et cetera? Or are most people from other Southern states?

How hard would it be to get work (not necessarily BigLaw but midlaw or something above the poverty level) somewhere in the Northeast? I love the idea of living and studying in Austin for three years (plus UT gave me a bunch of money) but I ultimately want to return to the NE and fear I may have difficulty doing so. I have gotten into some T14s and Vandy and Fordham and BU and GWU, but I REALLY want a reason to go to UT. Someone qualm my fears about being stuck in Texas forever if I decide to matriculate at UT.

Okay, maybe I'm totally off here, but I get the feeling that any top law school is filled with what you would expect: nerds. Sure, some students might be the "hipsters" or the "preps" or whatever else, but let's be real here: anyone who wants to devote the next three years of his/her life to the textbook is an n-e-r-d (the the best sense, of course). Bottom line, I think finding kindred spirits will be relativity easy at any top school. Also, Rory1987, if it makes you feel any better, I'm also from the Northeast. Since I'm using an anecdotal example, that should trump the OOS statistics.

Where at in the NE? And what if we're the only Northern liberal elitists there? :P

Rory1987

Postby Rory1987 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:25 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
lisjjen wrote:
akili wrote:Town Lake, Zilker-please get a Sno-Beach snow cone, South Congress/South First, the Drag, 6th Street... :)

Any comments on the Salt Lick or Barton's Creek?

For the love of god, go to the salt lick. It's like 16 bucks for family style (all you can eat ribs, brisket, sausage, beans, and potato salad). It's incredible. I live out of state (think one of the coasts), but I've been to the salt lick 3 times this year. You need to go!

God did this make me hungry just now. Where is this located exactly? I need to eat there when I visit next week...

jhw123

Postby jhw123 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:18 pm

Rory1987 wrote:
jhw123 wrote:

Where at in the NE? And what if we're the only Northern liberal elitists there? :P

I'm actually from the northeast.... of Africa! No, not really, but that's my new line because I currently live in Egypt. As a native Jooozyian, I don't usually get to cash in on the NE prestige, but considering our likely limited numbers, I'll class it up.

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:45 am

How do you take notes in class?

In undergrad, I took all of my notes by hand in notebooks. I noticed that most of my male friends did the same, but many girls had to have their Macs to type everything out on. I am not trying to stereotype with this, it was simply an easily observable fact in all of my classes. I found that the computer offered a lot of distractions (facebook, games, etc.), and I could retain the information better if I wrote it down. It went straight to memory. When I type, a lot of it is just habit, and I do not even realize what I am typing sometimes.

In your law classes, do you take notes by hand? Does anyone? For this much material and the involvement of supplements and whatnot, would you recommend I learn to take notes on my laptop?

I know there are other threads about this, but many are full of sarcasm and general advice. I figured experienced students at UT might be more helpful for this particular school.

theturkeyisfat

Postby theturkeyisfat » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:53 am

i want to ask a question that was asked before but not really answered...

can ut take me to cali?!?!?!?!?!??!!?

Postby 005618502 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:09 am

theturkeyisfat wrote:i want to ask a question that was asked before but not really answered...

No, it will keep you in Texas. Unless you graduate T10% and have LR under our belt (and you wont have a shot unless you have significant ties to the state).

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:20 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:
theturkeyisfat wrote:i want to ask a question that was asked before but not really answered...

No, it will keep you in Texas. Unless you graduate T10% and have LR under our belt (and you wont have a shot unless you have significant ties to the state).

Are you basing this statement on first hand knowledge, or is this an "assumption"????

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:04 am

Leira7905 wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:

Are you basing this statement on first hand knowledge, or is this an "assumption"????

like most "advice" given on TLS, it's just regurgitated speculation thrown around as fact. It's true that California is a harder market to break into from UT and would require ties and better grades for the most part, but there certainly isn't a strict cutoff at "T10% + LR." While ITE may be different, in the past over 30% were employed out of state and these kids were definitely not all from the top 30%.

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:14 am

f0bolous wrote:like most "advice" given on TLS, it's just regurgitated speculation thrown around as fact. It's true that California is a harder market to break into from UT and would require ties and better grades for the most part, but there certainly isn't a strict cutoff at "T10% + LR." While ITE may be different, in the past over 30% were employed out of state and these kids were definitely not all from the top 30%.

That would be my assessment as well. I'm just getting to the point of utter exasperation with the "regurgitated speculation," as you put it, with regard to UT especially. Since the T14 debacle it seems to have gotten out of control. It's as if the school moving up in the rankings has done nothing but made it acceptable fodder for trolls. Sure there are better options for someone looking for Cali Law, but as you said, one can acquire out of state employment from UT.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:31 am

Leira7905 wrote:
f0bolous wrote:like most "advice" given on TLS, it's just regurgitated speculation thrown around as fact. It's true that California is a harder market to break into from UT and would require ties and better grades for the most part, but there certainly isn't a strict cutoff at "T10% + LR." While ITE may be different, in the past over 30% were employed out of state and these kids were definitely not all from the top 30%.

That would be my assessment as well. I'm just getting to the point of utter exasperation with the "regurgitated speculation," as you put it, with regard to UT especially. Since the T14 debacle it seems to have gotten out of control. It's as if the school moving up in the rankings has done nothing but made it acceptable fodder for trolls. Sure there are better options for someone looking for Cali Law, but as you said, one can acquire out of state employment from UT.

Plus I love the 10% that keeps get thrown around. You have to be in top 10% with LR and ride to class on a Mountain Gorilla to get a job from UT.

At a certain point, I just stop taking these posters seriously.

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:06 pm

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:08 pm

Leira7905 wrote:Image

He'd probably strike out at OCI just because it's the University of TTTexas.

ETA: nvm. He's URM.

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:33 pm

lisjjen wrote:

:wink:

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:40 pm

lisjjen wrote:

As if the picture wasn't good enough, the response made this even better.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:35 pm

Pricer wrote:How do you take notes in class?

In undergrad, I took all of my notes by hand in notebooks. I noticed that most of my male friends did the same, but many girls had to have their Macs to type everything out on. I am not trying to stereotype with this, it was simply an easily observable fact in all of my classes. I found that the computer offered a lot of distractions (facebook, games, etc.), and I could retain the information better if I wrote it down. It went straight to memory. When I type, a lot of it is just habit, and I do not even realize what I am typing sometimes.

In your law classes, do you take notes by hand? Does anyone? For this much material and the involvement of supplements and whatnot, would you recommend I learn to take notes on my laptop?

I know there are other threads about this, but many are full of sarcasm and general advice. I figured experienced students at UT might be more helpful for this particular school.

I take notes on a laptop because if I try to write fast, it ends up being pretty illegible. I'd say that 90%+ of students take notes on a laptop. While it may be easier to commit things to memory when you write it out by hand, realize that you probably won't be able to write things down on time (since professors may gloss over things quickly and likely won't repeat themselves).

Rory1987

Postby Rory1987 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:15 pm

Where did everyone go?

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:54 pm

Rory1987 wrote:Where did everyone go?

To go get a burrito.

Rory1987

Postby Rory1987 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:37 pm

lisjjen wrote:
Rory1987 wrote:Where did everyone go?

To go get a burrito.

Why eat a burrito when you could be ripping double tequila shots?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”