Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
de5igual

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby de5igual » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:36 am

clearfire wrote:So, if I wanted to get a small one bedroom within walking/short bus ride distance to the law school North Campus and Hyde Park are my best bets? Any other suggestions? I'm OOS and have driven through Austin but never spent much time there.

If you've got $ to blow, you could live in the Triangle or live (slightly) farther away and drive to campus

Most of the apartments in Hyde Park/North Campus are old and lack basic (in my opinion at least) amenities like in-unit W/D, covered parking, 24 hour fitness center, pool, etc..

clearfire

Postby clearfire » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:06 pm

f0bolous wrote:If you've got $ to blow

not this, triangle is not going to happen, any other suggestions?

jhw123

Postby jhw123 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:51 pm

Is there any reason why graduate students don't live on West Campus (or is that the same as Hyde Park)? Ideally, I'd like to live close enough to campus in one of those amenity-laden complexes and avoid noisy, fratty undergrad buildings at all costs. (Too much to ask?) Thanks! Specific names of complexes/buildings greatly appreciated.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:33 pm

jhw123 wrote:Is there any reason why graduate students don't live on West Campus (or is that the same as Hyde Park)? Ideally, I'd like to live close enough to campus in one of those amenity-laden complexes and avoid noisy, fratty undergrad buildings at all costs. (Too much to ask?) Thanks! Specific names of complexes/buildings greatly appreciated.

West Campus is almost entirely noisy, fratty undergraduates. Even if you live in an apartment, the neighborhood itself is so saturated with undergraduates and fraternity/sorority houses that it's impossible not to be exposed to it. It's also become extremely congested in recent years, with the construction of semi high rise, high rent cheap construction apartment complexes tailored towards undergrads. North Campus/Hyde park is a lot more pleasant.

japes

Postby japes » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:06 pm

Marionberry wrote:
jhw123 wrote:Is there any reason why graduate students don't live on West Campus (or is that the same as Hyde Park)? Ideally, I'd like to live close enough to campus in one of those amenity-laden complexes and avoid noisy, fratty undergrad buildings at all costs. (Too much to ask?) Thanks! Specific names of complexes/buildings greatly appreciated.

West Campus is almost entirely noisy, fratty undergraduates. Even if you live in an apartment, the neighborhood itself is so saturated with undergraduates and fraternity/sorority houses that it's impossible not to be exposed to it. It's also become extremely congested in recent years, with the construction of semi high rise, high rent cheap construction apartment complexes tailored towards undergrads. North Campus/Hyde park is a lot more pleasant.

This, this, this.

There are complexes closer to the law school in or around the same price range without noisy fratty undergrads. Do not live in West Campus.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:18 am

I come here because I know you'll tell me te truth. I'm about to go to ASD and be wined and dined and sold the moon. But I want to get it straight from actual students.

I love the West Coast. I adore San Diego. Anywhere in SoCal is great. And I'd be pleased as punch to live in San Francisco, Seattle and Portland too. I don't need biglaw, just ~$80k on the West Coast.

How likely is UT to take me back to the Left Coast?

ETA: I'd even be OK going back to Boise [which I'm sure would be easier, considering I have about a thousand contacts from my undergrad.]

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:04 am

lisjjen wrote:I come here because I know you'll tell me te truth. I'm about to go to ASD and be wined and dined and sold the moon. But I want to get it straight from actual students.

I love the West Coast. I adore San Diego. Anywhere in SoCal is great. And I'd be pleased as punch to live in San Francisco, Seattle and Portland too. I don't need biglaw, just ~$80k on the West Coast.

ETA: I'd even be OK going back to Boise [which I'm sure would be easier, considering I have about a thousand contacts from my undergrad.]

If your goal is southern california, why would you choose UT over USC? I love UT, and I love Austin....But USC is going to put you in better position to get a job in California than UT. Is the scholarship difference substantial? Is UCLA an option?

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:17 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
lisjjen wrote:I come here because I know you'll tell me te truth. I'm about to go to ASD and be wined and dined and sold the moon. But I want to get it straight from actual students.

If your goal is southern california, why would you choose UT over USC? I love UT, and I love Austin....But USC is going to put you in better position to get a job in California than UT. Is the scholarship difference substantial? Is UCLA an option?

I haven't heard back on scholarships yet, but if UT is 50k cheaper than USC, then I'm going to have a hell of a time convincing myself to pay it for a lower ranked school. And no, UCLA is not an option.

Also, West Coast in general. Not just SoCal. Can UT take me back?

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:30 am

lisjjen wrote:I haven't heard back on scholarships yet, but if UT is 50k cheaper than USC, then I'm going to have a hell of a time convincing myself to pay it for a lower ranked school. And no, UCLA is not an option.

Also, West Coast in general. Not just SoCal. Can UT take me back?

I'm just a 1L who's only looked into Texas firms, so I would be a bad source for how UT does on the west coast. Sorry that I can't help.

theturkeyisfat

Postby theturkeyisfat » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:59 am

There may be a shuttle that runs to west campus, but not the Red River route as he suggested. I take the RR bus every day.

You are right. The Far West shuttle drops off at 26th and University (IIRC). It's not an awful walk...but still.

26th and university to the law school isn't much of a walk at all

Burgstaller04

Postby Burgstaller04 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:08 am

I went on an official tour and I'm planning to visit for one of the organized mini visits, but I always feel like they are just trying to sell me on the school. (They are. I know) I want to come to Austin and visit the campus in a more candid setting. I'd like to go to a class or two and hang out in some common areas during a regular day to see what the life of a student is really like. So, here's a question for any of the current students ITT: Anyone interested in letting me follow them around and get a feel for the school on Tuesday or Wednesday of next week?

90LawSchool

Postby 90LawSchool » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:57 am

I had asked earlier in the thread about scholarships at UT but now with UT moving up in the US World News rankings, will that affect admissions at all? Or scholarships?

akili

Postby akili » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:05 am

90LawSchool wrote:I had asked earlier in the thread about scholarships at UT but now with UT moving up in the US World News rankings, will that affect admissions at all? Or scholarships?

Maybe for next cycle it will. Most people (and a lot of law school applicants) have no idea that being #14 is a 'big deal' compared to #15 last year.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:28 am

akili wrote:
90LawSchool wrote:I had asked earlier in the thread about scholarships at UT but now with UT moving up in the US World News rankings, will that affect admissions at all? Or scholarships?

Maybe for next cycle it will. Most people (and a lot of law school applicants) have no idea that being #14 is a 'big deal' compared to #15 last year.

+1

not sure what it's like at other schools, but most students at UT aren't even aware of the T14 distinction.

Rory1987

Postby Rory1987 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:20 pm

What is the hipster to bro ratio at UT?

Also, what parts of Austin are good to visit? What are the young, hip parts of town with bars, clubs, music venues, et cetera?

I know that only 35% of the class is OOS, but do you know have many Northeasterners you get? Many people from Philly, NYC, DC, Boston, Pittsburgh, et cetera? Or are most people from other Southern states?

How hard would it be to get work (not necessarily BigLaw but midlaw or something above the poverty level) somewhere in the Northeast? I love the idea of living and studying in Austin for three years (plus UT gave me a bunch of money) but I ultimately want to return to the NE and fear I may have difficulty doing so. I have gotten into some T14s and Vandy and Fordham and BU and GWU, but I REALLY want a reason to go to UT. Someone qualm my fears about being stuck in Texas forever if I decide to matriculate at UT.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:47 pm

Rory1987 wrote:How hard would it be to get work (not necessarily BigLaw but midlaw or something above the poverty level) somewhere in the Northeast West Coast? I love the idea of living and studying in Austin for three years (plus UT gave me a bunch of money) but I ultimately want to return to the NE West Coast and fear I may have difficulty doing so. I have gotten into some T14s and Vandy and Fordham and BU and GWU, but I REALLY want a reason to go to UT. Someone qualm my fears about being stuck in Texas forever if I decide to matriculate at UT.

+1 and then some

akili

Postby akili » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:57 pm

Rory1987 wrote:What is the hipster to bro ratio at UT?

Also, what parts of Austin are good to visit? What are the young, hip parts of town with bars, clubs, music venues, et cetera?

I know that only 35% of the class is OOS, but do you know have many Northeasterners you get? Many people from Philly, NYC, DC, Boston, Pittsburgh, et cetera? Or are most people from other Southern states?

How hard would it be to get work (not necessarily BigLaw but midlaw or something above the poverty level) somewhere in the Northeast? I love the idea of living and studying in Austin for three years (plus UT gave me a bunch of money) but I ultimately want to return to the NE and fear I may have difficulty doing so. I have gotten into some T14s and Vandy and Fordham and BU and GWU, but I REALLY want a reason to go to UT. Someone qualm my fears about being stuck in Texas forever if I decide to matriculate at UT.

Me too. (please)

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:19 pm

1.2.3. Three posters who want to go to school in Austin and work somewhere else.

ETA: I woke up this morning to hear NPR telling me about how SXSW is turning into an American Carnival. One more reason to go to Austin.

Rory1987

Postby Rory1987 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:27 pm

lisjjen wrote:1.2.3. Three posters who want to go to school in Austin and work somewhere else.

ETA: I woke up this morning to hear NPR telling me about how SXSW is turning into an American Carnival. One more reason to go to Austin.

Yup. Now please tell me that I can live and work in NYC, Philly, Baltimore, Boston, DC, Pittsburgh or Providence after spending three glorious and relatively debt-free years in Austin and I can send in my deposit without even visiting. Well, I've already bought my plane ticket to visit next week so I'll go anyway, haha. And tell me which sections of the city I should checkout while I'm down there.

akili

Postby akili » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:29 pm

Town Lake, Zilker-please get a Sno-Beach snow cone, South Congress/South First, the Drag, 6th Street... :)

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:46 pm

akili wrote:Town Lake, Zilker-please get a Sno-Beach snow cone, South Congress/South First, the Drag, 6th Street... :)

Any comments on the Salt Lick or Barton's Creek?

Rory1987

Postby Rory1987 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:55 pm

Ummm, to be more specific, where should someone who may be described as a hipster go to hangout?

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:57 pm

lisjjen wrote:
akili wrote:Town Lake, Zilker-please get a Sno-Beach snow cone, South Congress/South First, the Drag, 6th Street... :)

BBQ + BYOB - downside: it's far
natural spring pool that's ~70 deg year round - downside: some people just shouldn't be shirtless or in swimsuits (this includes most law students, btw)

akili

Postby akili » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:00 pm

lisjjen wrote:

Do you mean Barton Springs? If so, it's legit. The water is also frigging cold. It's a natural fed pool. It's extremely popular in the summer. Pretty much you bake in the sun til you are sweaty and then jump in the water until you are cold again, lol. I like to go hiking or running and then jump in. It costs $3 and you have to have cash, btw.

Salt Lick is supposed to be incredible. I have never actually gone (Texan fail).

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:00 pm

lisjjen wrote:

For the love of god, go to the salt lick. It's like 16 bucks for family style (all you can eat ribs, brisket, sausage, beans, and potato salad). It's incredible. I live out of state (think one of the coasts), but I've been to the salt lick 3 times this year. You need to go!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”