Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
whitman

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby whitman » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:22 pm

Anyone know anything about scholarship negotiation with Texas? They said they only consider competing offers once, and I'm still waiting to hear from Penn, COrnell, Northwestern, GULC for scholarship info and Michigan, Chicago, NYU, Duke, and USC for an admissions decision. I am unlikely to get any game-changing scholarship offers, so should I just go ahead and submit Vanderbilt's offer? Would they offer a scholarship to compete with an acceptance and maybe a small offer from, say, Penn? Or just the raw offer from any peer school or better?

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:08 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
Pricer wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
Pricer wrote:Thank you, that was very helpful. Law review sounds more stressful than class. I am prepared to make a commitment like that, I just hope it pays off for me as well as it has paid off for you.

Take heed of what this guy tells you. He's much more open about what it's like to work for top grades at a top school than almost any other poster on TLS. I don't go to UT, but trust me when I say that he's beyond right when it comes to law school attracting a certain type of individual--especially the part about people on law review being compulsively hard workers. To be honest, most people on law review aren't just compulsively hard workers--they work to a point that most (fairly?) would call unhealthy. I'm talking 15 hour days studying, outlining, taking practice exams etc. day after day.

I could handle 10-12 hours a day, I think, but if it takes 15, that's what I'll give.
What is crazy is that Cornell students claim that their average time spent studying each day is 8 hours. That doesn't include class or LR, as far as I know. I also read that it is (relatively) easy to get on the journals there due to the small student body, so I guess that figure could easily include LR work.

I know incredible isn't it? The thing is that number probably wasn't even for the kids on law review.

I figured median students at most schools only studied 4-5 hours a day outside of class.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:30 pm

I just wanted to add some thoughts about the number of hours being thrown around here. There is no way in hell I average anything close to 10 hours per day studying. Sure, during finals I might put in 15 or more hours in a day. But at the beginning of the semester, there are a lot of times when I'm stressed and decide to just take a day off. Don't get me wrong; I worked very hard, especially first semester.

In fact, if you want what I think is the best piece of advice for law school, it's this: Destroy your first semester. It's the easiest semester to do well. Some people just won't get it that semester. Others will get it, but they won't put in extra work beyond the course materials. Those who really hit the road running first semester can get a huge leg up. I killed my grades first semester, and I haven't worried too much about grades ever since.

Hank Chill

Postby Hank Chill » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:43 pm

JazzOne wrote:I just wanted to add some thoughts about the number of hours being thrown around here. There is no way in hell I average anything close to 10 hours per day studying. Sure, during finals I might put in 15 or more hours in a day. But at the beginning of the semester, there are a lot of times when I'm stressed and decide to just take a day off. Don't get me wrong; I worked very hard, especially first semester.

In fact, if you want what I think is the best piece of advice for law school, it's this: Destroy your first semester. It's the easiest semester to do well. Some people just won't get it that semester. Others will get it, but they won't put in extra work beyond the course materials. Those who really hit the road running first semester can get a huge leg up. I killed my grades first semester, and I haven't worried too much about grades ever since.

Thanks for the insight.

Burgstaller04

Postby Burgstaller04 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:06 pm

Housing question: Does anyone here know anybody living in the far west area? I have a HS buddy living there and he said the bus route is pretty close by and runs right by the law school (red river route IIRC). Anyone have any experience with this? Any other recommendations on areas to look at? My fiancee also really likes Round Rock. Would that be a hellish commute during rush hour?

radio-edit

Postby radio-edit » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:13 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:Housing question: Does anyone here know anybody living in the far west area? I have a HS buddy living there and he said the bus route is pretty close by and runs right by the law school (red river route IIRC). Anyone have any experience with this? Any other recommendations on areas to look at? My fiancee also really likes Round Rock. Would that be a hellish commute during rush hour?

I just drove from Round Rock to campus during rush hour on Friday - took about an hour. Some of that might have been SXSW traffic.

Also, I used to live in the Arboretum area and took the express bus (982/983) to campus. If you're more timely than me and won't constantly miss the bus by 2-3 minutes, it's a good arrangement. When I missed the bus I occasionally drove down the few exits to Far West, parked somewhere free and took the shuttle - it wasn't bad at all.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:21 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:Housing question: Does anyone here know anybody living in the far west area? I have a HS buddy living there and he said the bus route is pretty close by and runs right by the law school (red river route IIRC). Anyone have any experience with this? Any other recommendations on areas to look at? My fiancee also really likes Round Rock. Would that be a hellish commute during rush hour?

Living in Round Rock sounds like an awful commute. I love Austin, but the one thing that is absolutely terrible is the traffic. I35 seems to be always clogged at the most random times, it doesn't matter if it's 5:30pm, 1:30pm, or 8:30pm. I'm from DFW so I am used to traffic during rush hour, but I absolutely hate how unpredictable random traffic jams happen in Austin. That said, I know some classmates who live far north (prob not as far as Round Rock though) who make the drive everyday.

awilson11

Postby awilson11 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:47 pm

Being from Los Angeles, there is literally no way I can take traffic concerns in other cities seriously

Burgstaller04

Postby Burgstaller04 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:16 pm

Thanks

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:42 pm

Were you looking at buying or renting? If you're renting, I see no real reason to live in Round Rock unless the fiancee works in Georgetown or something like that. There is plenty of available, reasonably priced housing inside Austin that is much much closer. All Round Rock (or Cedar Park, etc.) will really give you is marginally cheaper rent and sterile suburban sprawl. The area just south of 183 around Lamar seems to be up and coming, and there are some nice houses there. South Austin would be more of a commute, but there are lots of cool little funky neighborhoods. Everything north of hyde park (51st st, approx) and south of 183 should be reasonably priced and good neighborhoods. The area around North Loop blvd (53rd st) is cool too. Feel free to pm if you have any questions.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:11 pm

awilson11 wrote:Being from Los Angeles, there is literally no way I can take traffic concerns in other cities seriously

How are you feeling about UT? I got a free ticket today, but I want to go to USC. It's just if USC sticks their nose way up in the air and throws me a teeny scholarship, I can't do it.

That being said, I love California so much. Do you think I'll be able to take taht UT degree back to the Cali beach?

awilson11

Postby awilson11 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:21 pm

lisjjen wrote:
awilson11 wrote:Being from Los Angeles, there is literally no way I can take traffic concerns in other cities seriously

How are you feeling about UT? I got a free ticket today, but I want to go to USC. It's just if USC sticks their nose way up in the air and throws me a teeny scholarship, I can't do it.

That being said, I love California so much. Do you think I'll be able to take taht UT degree back to the Cali beach?

You couldn't pay me enough money to go to U$C, and I am feeling good about UT.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:51 pm

awilson11 wrote:
lisjjen wrote:

You couldn't pay me enough money to go to U$C, and I am feeling good about UT.

Are you going to ASD?

awilson11

Postby awilson11 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:26 pm

No, I'm going to the OMV on April 8

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:37 pm

Is there any such thing as student ambassadors that I could stay with? I just committed to go only to find out that my "friend in Austin" actually lives an hour away. I mean, I could take the bus, but staying near campus would be immeasurably more desirable.

dubunamjah

Postby dubunamjah » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:24 am

tecumseh wrote:I guess this is kind of a question...anyway, we have a visiting prof from Texas at our school right now teaching property, Daniel Rodriguez and I was wondering if a Texas student can give me access to his past property exams through this link?

--LinkRemoved--

Thanks a bunch in advance!

I'm also curious about this. Does anyone have any more info on this? Thanks.

kwais

Postby kwais » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:11 am

Wait, is this Texas, the T14 school?

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:31 am

kwais wrote:Wait, is this Texas, the T14 school?

Yes, Texas, the artist formerly known as #15.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:50 am

The west campus area is crowded and full of undergrads. Plus, the law school is on the east side of campus. The Red River shuttle does not go to west campus as Red River is also on the east side of campus. Your best bets are north campus or Hyde Park IMHO.

akili

Postby akili » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:53 am

JazzOne wrote:

The west campus area is crowded and full of undergrads. Plus, the law school is on the east side of campus. The Red River shuttle does not go to west campus as Red River is also on the east side of campus. Your best bets are north campus or Hyde Park IMHO.

I think he's talking about Far West. I do know the UT shuttle runs up there and a lot of grad students live there. My friends that do like it because it's a tad bit less undergraddy and there is a super convenient HEB/Starbucks/bank/library/etc...You can get to Burnet or Lamar (other ways to campus besides MoPac) pretty easily from Far West too.

Sorry, I grew up around there!

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:57 am

JazzOne wrote:

Isn't there a shuttle that runs over by tarrytown? That's where I'm looking right now.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:59 am

akili wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

I think he's talking about Far West. I do know the UT shuttle runs up there and a lot of grad students live there. My friends that do like it because it's a tad bit less undergraddy and there is a super convenient HEB/Starbucks/bank/library/etc...You can get to Burnet or Lamar (other ways to campus besides MoPac) pretty easily from Far West too.

There may be a shuttle that runs to west campus, but not the Red River route as he suggested. I take the RR bus every day.

clearfire

Postby clearfire » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:21 am

So, if I wanted to get a small one bedroom within walking/short bus ride distance to the law school North Campus and Hyde Park are my best bets? Any other suggestions? I'm OOS and have driven through Austin but never spent much time there.

akili

Postby akili » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:23 am

JazzOne wrote:
akili wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

There may be a shuttle that runs to west campus, but not the Red River route as he suggested. I take the RR bus every day.

You are right. The Far West shuttle drops off at 26th and University (IIRC). It's not an awful walk...but still.

Burgstaller04

Postby Burgstaller04 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:28 am

When I talked to my friend he mentioned all kinds of bus routes and areas. He probably didn't talk about red river running to far west. I probaly mixed that all up. Even still, thanks for the help everyone!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”