Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
90LawSchool

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby 90LawSchool » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:28 pm

How generous is UT in giving scholarships? I have a 4.0 GPA and 173 LSAT and mediocre softs (a couple good internships, was very involved on campus, presented papers at a few professional research conferences, but do not have much volunteer work). What would be my chance (if any) for the Townes-Rice Scholarship? What sort of scholarship (again, if any) could I realistically expect from UT?

On an unrelated note...how is UT's Constitutional Studies courses? What sort of internship/externship opportunities does UT have for students who focus in Constitutional Studies? Is the Constitutional Studies program a formal specialization?

Thank you in advance!

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:32 pm

90LawSchool wrote:How generous is UT in giving scholarships? I have a 4.0 GPA and 173 LSAT and mediocre softs (a couple good internships, was very involved on campus, presented papers at a few professional research conferences, but do not have much volunteer work). What would be my chance (if any) for the Townes-Rice Scholarship? What sort of scholarship (again, if any) could I realistically expect from UT?

On an unrelated note...how is UT's Constitutional Studies courses? What sort of internship/externship opportunities does UT have for students who focus in Constitutional Studies? Is the Constitutional Studies program a formal specialization?

Thank you in advance!
"Constitutional Studies"? Not really sure what you're referring to, but there are plenty of baller con law profs (just to name a few, I'm taking con law this term with Lino Graglia, Dean Sager is a huge name in the field, and I've heard lots of good things about Jordan Steiker) and other resources (check out the Supreme Court clinic: http://www.utexas.edu/law/clinics/supremecourt/) for those interested in that subject.

I'm sure you'll get a fine scholarship.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:08 am

Mitch Bernam is another big name in con law at UT. Also, Kevin Toh teaches con law, but his expertise is in philosophy. Graglia is a riot. Graglia on abortion: "If your mama doesn't want you, why should I?"

BeachedBrit

Postby BeachedBrit » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:08 pm

Could you guys please post any candid photos of the law building that you have? All of the photos I've been able to find look like their hiding something.

japes

Postby japes » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:26 pm

BeachedBrit wrote:Could you guys please post any candid photos of the law building that you have? All of the photos I've been able to find look like their hiding something.

They're probably hiding how ugly the building is.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:41 pm

japes wrote:
BeachedBrit wrote:Could you guys please post any candid photos of the law building that you have? All of the photos I've been able to find look like their hiding something.

Burgstaller04

Postby Burgstaller04 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:24 pm

Is LRW graded or pass/fail?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:28 pm

japes wrote:

lol

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:43 pm

The pavillion is pretty sweet. Other than that it's shit. Pure shit.

BeachedBrit

Postby BeachedBrit » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:05 pm

japes wrote:

Undoubtedly, I'm just trying to gauge how bad "pure shit" is? Does the quality of the building affect your satisfaction with your education at UT Law.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:10 pm

BeachedBrit wrote:Undoubtedly, I'm just trying to gauge how bad "pure shit" is? Does the quality of the building affect your satisfaction with your education at UT Law.

Honestly, the "pure shit" remark was made in jest. More than the building, UT's denying me admission affected my education there. However, having been to UG there and visited and toured the LS several times, I would say that it's in good condition, just aesthetically not the most pleasant place. It's not bad by any means, just not as shiney and new as some other schools' facilities.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:11 pm

BeachedBrit wrote:
japes wrote:

Undoubtedly, I'm just trying to gauge how bad "pure shit" is? Does the quality of the building affect your satisfaction with your education at UT Law.

It would bother me if the tuition was high, but UT's tuition is below its peer schools. The faculty is also awesome. The low cost and terrific faculty make up for the ugly building. Also, we place well in clerkships.

Burgstaller04

Postby Burgstaller04 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:56 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:Is LRW graded or pass/fail?
Just wanted to bump this and also ask how the 25 person mentor groups work out? Helpful? Do they actually keep up with you? Thanks again for answering.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:18 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:
Just wanted to bump this and also ask how the 25 person mentor groups work out? Helpful? Do they actually keep up with you? Thanks again for answering.

I think my mentor is awesome, and I like everyone in my small section. I heard another small section didn't like their mentor as much, but I think the typical experience is usually a positive one with the mentor system and the small sections.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:58 pm

graded

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:21 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:

My mentor was also awesome. She really kept up with us, and she arranged to have speakers come in who did well in our professors' classes. They set up parties and help you find outlines. There is a competitive process to become a mentor, so they are typically outgoing and helpful.

UtahPhi

Postby UtahPhi » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:46 pm

Admitted today via phone! This throws a wrench in my decisions as I had all but ruled Texas out. While I realize my numbers may not be stellar, has anyone been successful negotiating any scholarships with scores in the lower spectrum? Even in-state tuition would be awesome. PM if you can.

japes

Postby japes » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:15 pm

UtahPhi wrote:Admitted today via phone! This throws a wrench in my decisions as I had all but ruled Texas out. While I realize my numbers may not be stellar, has anyone been successful negotiating any scholarships with scores in the lower spectrum? Even in-state tuition would be awesome. PM if you can.

Negotiating process is a one-time offer only to match other scholarships. Info is on freshlaw.

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:52 am

What is your schedule like? How many hours a day are you in class? How many hours do you spend studying?

I am willing to do what it takes to succeed, but I am wondering what it took for you guys to succeed. JazzOne, you've mentioned that you are top 10% and on LR. I know that I cannot expect either, but I am wondering what kind of effort that requires.

Would you say that you study significantly more than the median student or were you fortunate enough to comprehend the material easily and figure out what the professor wanted on his final? How much time do other students you know in the top 10%, 20%, and 30% spend studying?

How much time does LR take up for you? I know that won't be an issue during 1L, but I would love a chance to participate on one of the journals during 2L/3L years.

clearfire

Postby clearfire » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:11 am

tag

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:40 am

Pricer wrote:What is your schedule like? How many hours a day are you in class? How many hours do you spend studying?

I am willing to do what it takes to succeed, but I am wondering what it took for you guys to succeed. JazzOne, you've mentioned that you are top 10% and on LR. I know that I cannot expect either, but I am wondering what kind of effort that requires.

Would you say that you study significantly more than the median student or were you fortunate enough to comprehend the material easily and figure out what the professor wanted on his final? How much time do other students you know in the top 10%, 20%, and 30% spend studying?

How much time does LR take up for you? I know that won't be an issue during 1L, but I would love a chance to participate on one of the journals during 2L/3L years.

I probably spend something like 3 to 6 hours per day in class, depending on the day. Most people have Fridays off at UT, but there are a few classes that meet on Friday. It's hard for me to estimate my study time because I usually watch TV or do other things while I study. I have a decent amount of leisure time though, and it doesn't really get stressful until the end of the semester.

Getting top 10% and LR required a lot of work. I definitely worked harder my first year than I am this year. Most of the people in my classes attend class regularly, read the material, and take notes in class. I can get a median grade or slightly better with minimal work. For an A or an A+, I have to resort to supplements and outside material. Whenever I load up on extra material for a class, I end up acing the class. When I don't put in that extra effort, I'm somewhere around median.

LR takes a shitload of time. We have to do 40 hours of office duty per semester and another 60 hours of work on various projects (each semester). Plus, we have to write a note by first semester of 3L. The note has to be something like 30 pages, so it takes some work. Most of the people I know on law review are compulsively hard workers. Law school attracts a rare type of individual, and that fact is best illustrated by the law review crowd.

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:23 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Pricer wrote:What is your schedule like? How many hours a day are you in class? How many hours do you spend studying?

I probably spend something like 3 to 6 hours per day in class, depending on the day. Most people have Fridays off at UT, but there are a few classes that meet on Friday. It's hard for me to estimate my study time because I usually watch TV or do other things while I study. I have a decent amount of leisure time though, and it doesn't really get stressful until the end of the semester.

Getting top 10% and LR required a lot of work. I definitely worked harder my first year than I am this year. Most of the people in my classes attend class regularly, read the material, and take notes in class. I can get a median grade or slightly better with minimal work. For an A or an A+, I have to resort to supplements and outside material. Whenever I load up on extra material for a class, I end up acing the class. When I don't put in that extra effort, I'm somewhere around median.

LR takes a shitload of time. We have to do 40 hours of office duty per semester and another 60 hours of work on various projects (each semester). Plus, we have to write a note by first semester of 3L. The note has to be something like 30 pages, so it takes some work. Most of the people I know on law review are compulsively hard workers. Law school attracts a rare type of individual, and that fact is best illustrated by the law review crowd.

Thank you, that was very helpful. Law review sounds more stressful than class. I am prepared to make a commitment like that, I just hope it pays off for me as well as it has paid off for you.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:29 pm

Pricer wrote:Thank you, that was very helpful. Law review sounds more stressful than class. I am prepared to make a commitment like that, I just hope it pays off for me as well as it has paid off for you.

Take heed of what this guy tells you. He's much more open about what it's like to work for top grades at a top school than almost any other poster on TLS. I don't go to UT, but trust me when I say that he's beyond right when it comes to law school attracting a certain type of individual--especially the part about people on law review being compulsively hard workers. To be honest, most people on law review aren't just compulsively hard workers--they work to a point that most (fairly?) would call unhealthy. I'm talking 15 hour days studying, outlining, taking practice exams etc. day after day.

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:46 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
Pricer wrote:Thank you, that was very helpful. Law review sounds more stressful than class. I am prepared to make a commitment like that, I just hope it pays off for me as well as it has paid off for you.

Take heed of what this guy tells you. He's much more open about what it's like to work for top grades at a top school than almost any other poster on TLS. I don't go to UT, but trust me when I say that he's beyond right when it comes to law school attracting a certain type of individual--especially the part about people on law review being compulsively hard workers. To be honest, most people on law review aren't just compulsively hard workers--they work to a point that most (fairly?) would call unhealthy. I'm talking 15 hour days studying, outlining, taking practice exams etc. day after day.

I could handle 10-12 hours a day, I think, but if it takes 15, that's what I'll give.
What is crazy is that Cornell students claim that their average time spent studying each day is 8 hours. That doesn't include class or LR, as far as I know. I also read that it is (relatively) easy to get on the journals there due to the small student body, so I guess that figure could easily include LR work.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:34 pm

Pricer wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

I could handle 10-12 hours a day, I think, but if it takes 15, that's what I'll give.
What is crazy is that Cornell students claim that their average time spent studying each day is 8 hours. That doesn't include class or LR, as far as I know. I also read that it is (relatively) easy to get on the journals there due to the small student body, so I guess that figure could easily include LR work.

I know incredible isn't it? The thing is that number probably wasn't even for the kids on law review.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”