Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
JazzOne

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby JazzOne » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:29 pm

awilson11 wrote:Posting this in all the UT forums I have tagged so sorry if you see it a few times...
Where is a good place to stay for the OMV on April 8? Should I stay near the law school or closer to 6th Street? I want to go out on 6th Street at night, definitely, and I don't know what I would do at the law school beyond Friday... Also, I would prefer it to be reasonably cheap. Any recommendations? Thanks!

I'd stay downtown if you plan on doing any drinking. The cops here are not forgiving when it comes to drinking and driving. We have some "no refusal" weekends when they will forcibly draw blood if you seem to be driving drunk. I doubt the particular weekend you are here will be a "no refusal" weekend (those tend to occur around the holidays), but it is indicative of the city's attitude toward drunk driving. Just don't even take a chance. Stay in a location where you can walk to the bars.

awilson11

Postby awilson11 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:34 pm

JazzOne wrote:
awilson11 wrote:Posting this in all the UT forums I have tagged so sorry if you see it a few times...
Where is a good place to stay for the OMV on April 8? Should I stay near the law school or closer to 6th Street? I want to go out on 6th Street at night, definitely, and I don't know what I would do at the law school beyond Friday... Also, I would prefer it to be reasonably cheap. Any recommendations? Thanks!

I'd stay downtown if you plan on doing any drinking. The cops here are not forgiving when it comes to drinking and driving. We have some "no refusal" weekends when they will forcibly draw blood if you seem to be driving drunk. I doubt the particular weekend you are here will be a "no refusal" weekend (those tend to occur around the holidays), but it is indicative of the city's attitude toward drunk driving. Just don't even take a chance. Stay in a location where you can walk to the bars.

Not sure why you immediately think drunk driving, there are other ways to go out...Are there no cabs in Austin? Also, I am visiting from California, and won't have a car anyway.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:56 pm

I did assume that you would have a car. If you're fine dealing with the hassle of cabs, I guess that's one option. You asked for opinions, and I gave you mine. I would stay close to downtown if I was planning to bar hop so I wouldn't be tempted to drive and so I wouldn't have ride in filthy cabs. You're the one who mentioned 6th Street, so I thought I'd give you a heads up on the legal culture of the city. You weren't very specific about your transportation arrangement.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:59 pm

There's also not a lot of hotels around campus, and the closest ones are pretty much all downtown. There is a doubletree, I think, at I35 and MLK (right next to the school on the interstate), but that wouldn't be that much more convenient than staying downtown.

awilson11

Postby awilson11 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:03 pm

JazzOne wrote:I did assume that you would have a car. If you're fine dealing with the hassle of cabs, I guess that's one option. You asked for opinions, and I gave you mine. I would stay close to downtown if I was planning to bar hop so I wouldn't be tempted to drive and so I wouldn't have ride in filthy cabs. You're the one who mentioned 6th Street, so I thought I'd give you a heads up on the legal culture of the city. You weren't very specific about your transportation arrangement.

Fair enough. Although even if I had a car, the last think that would cross my mind would be to go out and drive if I planned on drinking.

japes

Postby japes » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:39 pm

12thman2011 wrote:Texas and A&M share the PUF for Texas and are the states two flagship universities. I doubt the students see too much of an impact because of the budget cuts. I'm just taking a stab in the dark here, I'm not in the know. All the emails we've gotten at A&M about the budget cuts are talking about how we are pairing up with Texas to make sure that the cuts aren't too deep at both of the universities.

UT (undergrad) alum here - I've been in on similar emails. There have been lots of budget cutbacks, though - proposals include eliminating foreign language requirements (small class size = less cost-effective), drastically scaling back lecturer positions, the closing of a beloved bar/music venue in the student union, etc etc. There have also been tuition hikes almost every year I was an undergrad, but nothing terribly substantial.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:30 pm

Any comments on the recent NLJ250 data? I saw UT took a dive (like everybody else).

I don't need a 250 firm to be happy. In fact, if I go to Texas, I'd be looking for a midlevel firm, but is this recent dip indicative of a larger hiring lag across all kinds of firms?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:48 pm

lisjjen wrote:Any comments on the recent NLJ250 data? I saw UT took a dive (like everybody else).

I don't need a 250 firm to be happy. In fact, if I go to Texas, I'd be looking for a midlevel firm, but is this recent dip indicative of a larger hiring lag across all kinds of firms?

Link?

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:40 pm

JazzOne wrote:
lisjjen wrote:Any comments on the recent NLJ250 data? I saw UT took a dive (like everybody else).

Link?

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:05 pm

lisjjen wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

Link?

That's better than I thought. I was thinking our placement would be closer to 20%. The one thing I can say in our favor is that we have a really good clerkship program, so our firm placement suffers a bit from that. Most of the people I know who are doing clerkships could have gone biglaw if they wanted to, and most of them probably will go to a big firm after the clerkship.

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:14 pm

JazzOne wrote:
lisjjen wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

Link?

That's better than I thought. I was thinking our placement would be closer to 20%. The one thing I can say in our favor is that we have a really good clerkship program, so our firm placement suffers a bit from that. Most of the people I know who are doing clerkships could have gone biglaw if they wanted to, and most of them probably will go to a big firm after the clerkship.

So if you included clerkships, would that 26% figure jump 10 percentage points? Also, I've heard Texas has more boutique firms that pay market, do you think that has significantly impacted the NLJ figures?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:19 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:So if you included clerkships, would that 26% figure jump 10 percentage points? Also, I've heard Texas has more boutique firms that pay market, do you think that has significantly impacted the NLJ figures?

Interesting thoughts. I think we had something like 50 people do clerkships last year (someone can correct my figure if I'm wrong). So, let's round it down to 10% of the class. I think that's fair since, realistically, if those people had been on the job market, some of us who aren't competitive for clerkships might not have made the biglaw cut. Incidentally, I will share my circumstances again because they factor into your theory. Neither of my jobs would show up in that survey, despite the fact that I have been quite fortunate in my job search. Both of my offers are from smaller firms, one of which we'll call "boutique" because of the >market salary. I think you're correct though. Texas has a fairly robust midlaw market. I've argued against the idea of midlaw in the past based on the bimodal nature of the salary curve. But my experience in the market has led me to believe that there is a significant midlaw presence in Texas, and a fair number of those firms participate in OCI.

ETA: My other firm pays below market, so while I agree with part of your point (i.e., Texas has a strong midlaw market), I don't necessarily agree that midlaw firms paying market salary is the norm. Most smaller firms are going to offer less pay with more reasonable working hours/conditions. One midlaw firm I'm familiar with in Dallas pays $125K.
Last edited by JazzOne on Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:23 pm

JazzOne wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:So if you included clerkships, would that 26% figure jump 10 percentage points? Also, I've heard Texas has more boutique firms that pay market, do you think that has significantly impacted the NLJ figures?

Interesting thoughts. I think we had something like 50 people do clerkships last year (someone can correct my figure if I'm wrong). So, let's round it down to 10% of the class. I think that's fair since, realistically, if those people had been on the job market, some of us who aren't competitive for clerkships might not have made the biglaw cut. Incidentally, I will share my circumstances again because they factor into your theory. Neither of my jobs would show up in that survey, despite the fact that I have been quite fortunate in my job search. Both of my offers are from smaller firms, one of which we'll call "boutique" because of the >market salary. I think you're correct though. Texas has a fairly robust midlaw market. I've argued against the idea of midlaw in the past based on the bimodal nature of the salary curve. But my experience in the market suggests that there are many midlaw firms in Texas, and a fair number of them participate in OCI.

ETA: My other firm pays below market, so while I agree with part of your point (i.e., Texas has a strong midlaw market), I don't necessarily agree that midlaw firms paying market salary is the norm. Most smaller firms are going to offer less pay with more reasonable working hours/conditions.

Glad to hear that (ha most of it at least). I'm leaning towards texas, but the NLJ figures kind of freaked me out.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:02 pm

There's nothing wrong with midlaw. I can't decide rather I'm wanting to just go into midlaw from day 1 or do a ~5yr tour of duty in biglaw and then lateral into a boutique. Whichever model I decide upon will probably determine rather I go to UT or UMich.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:27 am

lisjjen wrote:There's nothing wrong with midlaw. I can't decide rather I'm wanting to just go into midlaw from day 1 or do a ~5yr tour of duty in biglaw and then lateral into a boutique. Whichever model I decide upon will probably determine rather I go to UT or UMich.

+1.

I'm in almost the same position.

Does UT have a lock on the Texas market, or can graduates of top 10 schools who are from Texas do just as well? I hear Penn has a regional OCI in Texas, and I'm sure Michigan does, too. Any thoughts?

12thman2011

Postby 12thman2011 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:17 am

I'm coming for a visit and to sit in on a class on Wednesday. Is there anything in particular I should wear? Also I know I have to go to that cupcake place on South Congress for a friend but is there anything else I should do in an afternoon in Austin?

spacepenguin

Postby spacepenguin » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:58 am

12thman2011 wrote:I'm coming for a visit and to sit in on a class on Wednesday. Is there anything in particular I should wear? Also I know I have to go to that cupcake place on South Congress for a friend but is there anything else I should do in an afternoon in Austin?

Home Slice Pizza. It's great.

Also, I'm 90% sure those cupcakes have nicotine in them

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:59 pm

spacepenguin wrote:
12thman2011 wrote:I'm coming for a visit and to sit in on a class on Wednesday. Is there anything in particular I should wear? Also I know I have to go to that cupcake place on South Congress for a friend but is there anything else I should do in an afternoon in Austin?

Home Slice Pizza. It's great.

Also, I'm 90% sure those cupcakes have nicotine in them

Home Slice is decent, but I'm kind of digging East Side Pies a little more these days. I also like Justine's on the east side, and you can't go wrong with the Salt Lick if the weather is nice. That said, South Congress is a cool spot to hang out, so Home Slice has that going for it.

akili

Postby akili » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:13 pm

Torchy's Tacos.

spacepenguin

Postby spacepenguin » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:40 pm

akili wrote:Torchy's Tacos.

Great option if you don't mind eating a weeks worth of calories in one sitting....and the guilt, my god the guilt

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:45 pm

spacepenguin wrote:

Great option if you don't mind eating a weeks worth of calories in one sitting....and the guilt, my god the guilt

Oh my god Torchys!!! Yes you must go there! I can't wait to be back in Austin to get some Green Chile Pork!

akili

Postby akili » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:48 pm

spacepenguin wrote:

Haha, true story. Have you tried the Double-wide? It's insane.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:31 pm

I prefer Taco Deli. I got Torchy's during law review one weekend, and it was cold by the time I got mine. Hated it. I'll give it another shot though.

akili

Postby akili » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:39 pm

JazzOne wrote:I prefer Taco Deli. I got Torchy's during law review one weekend, and it was cold by the time I got mine. Hated it. I'll give it another shot though.

Their queso/guac alone is worth it. ....And now I'm hungry.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:41 pm

akili wrote:
JazzOne wrote:I prefer Taco Deli. I got Torchy's during law review one weekend, and it was cold by the time I got mine. Hated it. I'll give it another shot though.

Their queso/guac alone is worth it. ....And now I'm hungry.

I'm from El Paso, so I'm kind of a queso/guac snob. Tex Mex just isn't the same as real Mexican food. I'll report back about Torchy's after lunch.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”