Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lisjjen

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby lisjjen » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:04 am

I feel like I'm asking 1/3rd of all the questions. This time, I'm curious about bugs. Bugs, roaches, spiders creep me the fuck out. I've heard all kinds of horror stories about scorpions falling on people of the middle of the night and big-ass brown recluses leaving 10 inch bruises (from bites, not from punching people. I'm not retarded.)

How much of this is true. In the Mountain West, we have a big problem with hobo spiders, but they stay outside and are a far cry from 2 inch roaches and big, scary centipedes stomping around my living room like a little Jurassic Park.

ETA: I love millipedes. I might get one for a pet if I go to UT.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:27 pm

I have very few bugs in my home in Austin. When I was growing up in west Texas, my friends and I used to catch scorpions and rattlesnakes all the time and sell them to the local pet stores. But I haven't seen any scary critters at all in Austin. Well, the mosquitoes are a pain in the ass, but that's about it, and they only come around in the summer. If you have dogs, they will most likely need flea treatment in the summer as well.

12thman2011

Postby 12thman2011 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:36 pm

lisjjen wrote:I feel like I'm asking 1/3rd of all the questions. This time, I'm curious about bugs. Bugs, roaches, spiders creep me the fuck out. I've heard all kinds of horror stories about scorpions falling on people of the middle of the night and big-ass brown recluses leaving 10 inch bruises (from bites, not from punching people. I'm not retarded.)

How much of this is true. In the Mountain West, we have a big problem with hobo spiders, but they stay outside and are a far cry from 2 inch roaches and big, scary centipedes stomping around my living room like a little Jurassic Park.

Hahahaha. Thanks for the laugh. To answer your question you might get carried off by mosquitoes during certain times of the year, but for other bugs unless you live in a middle of a pasture you don't have to worry about them much.

12thman2011

Postby 12thman2011 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:39 pm

Does anybody know if there is much hope for getting some money if you didn't get it when you were first admitted? I didn't apply to and of Texas's pier schools because I don't want to go out of state so as far as matching scholly's I'm SOL. Will more money become available once people start withdrawing?

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:46 pm

lisjjen wrote:I feel like I'm asking 1/3rd of all the questions. This time, I'm curious about bugs. Bugs, roaches, spiders creep me the fuck out. I've heard all kinds of horror stories about scorpions falling on people of the middle of the night and big-ass brown recluses leaving 10 inch bruises (from bites, not from punching people. I'm not retarded.)

There are shit tons of crickets here in late summer, early fall. When I moved into my apartment (brand new), I found at least 10 new crickets every day and hundreds (if not thousands) of dead ones in the common areas.

TexasWave

Postby TexasWave » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:49 am

I posted this in the financial aid earlier today but asking in this thread might get more results from people in the know:

Hello everyone. Just took the LSAT for the third time today, expecting to get -8 points from my prep test average as usual (gamessss!)

I will probably get a worse score than before so I am looking at a 3.83 and a 169, with Texas residency. I am curious about scholarship chances at UT and T14 schools. Therefore, I am curious as to how good my "soft" scores are, because I am hoping they will push me over the edge of getting some money somewhere in the T14, especially in light of UT's matching program.

I am not sure what qualifies as a worthwhile soft score so here are what I think are the most mentionable:

-First-generation immigrant from a non-English-speaking west European country, started school in the US without speaking English.
-Was national merit finalist
-Lots of high school debate awards and clubs, was president of a big student organization at UT
-Interned for a US Congressman in high school
-Interned for a Texas State Rep in college
-Interned at the State Parliament of a big west European country
-Interned at the Federal Parliament of a big west European country in a pretty elite international program
-Will soon be interning for the State Dept at a US Embassy in a big west European country for several months
-At time of application, will be finishing up the last 4 months or so of a Master's Degree in polisci from a public ivy through an international (US-run) program through which I'll have studied mostly in Europe in a foreign language, probably with good grades (3.5-4.0)
-120 page undergrad honors thesis, some undergrad honors programs and some types of honors from graduation
-Essentially a full ride for my MA degree thanks to a federal Title IV FLAS scholarship
-2 paid internships at high-quality but small non-name law firms
-Around 9 or 10 smaller undergrad scholarships from various sources

I was always told that law school was 49% GPA and 49% LSAT score so I put the idea of soft scores out of my head so I wouldn't have to rely on them. If anyone here has any experience with soft scores, esp. re: T-14 and UT and Vanderbilt scholarships, please let me know what you think. Thanks in advance!

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:20 am

I live on the second floor of an apt complex and I have had no bad experiences with bugs at all. I've lived in Texas for the last ~20 years and I think I've seen 2 scorpions that whole time and never a brown recluse (though I think I knew 1-2 people who got bit by one).

mz253

Postby mz253 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:23 pm

what is the sports facility like at the school?

Is it free to use the gym, swimming pool, and tennis court? Are there any people playing squash there? Do schools offer lots of gym classes?

Thanks!

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:11 pm

mz253 wrote:what is the sports facility like at the school?

Is it free to use the gym, swimming pool, and tennis court? Are there any people playing squash there? Do schools offer lots of gym classes?

Thanks!

http://www.utrecsports.org/

the sports facilities are pretty decent, and students get free access to the gym, swimming pools, tennis courts, intramural fields, etc. Both Gregory and the Rec Center have squash courts, so I'd imagine it wouldn't be hard to pair off with a buddy to sign up for a court. As for gym classes, do you mean spin classes/yoga/etc? If you look at that website, I think you can purchase these classes.

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:10 pm

TexasWave wrote:[lots of stuff]
If you're sure you have at least a 3.83 and a 169, you're set as far as scholarships at UT. (That's assuming the standards haven't changed drastically from last year.) In all likelihood, none of the other things matters.

TexasWave

Postby TexasWave » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:57 am

What makes you say that? I thought 168 was the MINIMUM to get any sort of scholarship.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:12 am

12thman2011 wrote:
Hahahaha. Thanks for the laugh. To answer your question you might get carried off by mosquitoes during certain times of the year, but for other bugs unless you live in a middle of a pasture you don't have to worry about them much.

I'm glad everyone's being so chill. I heard [but didn't believe] that as soon as you said something even quasi-critical of Texas, Texans turn into pompous douchebags. I guess there should be a list of all the terrible myths that people promulgate about Texas.

ETA: I heard the former from a Californian.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:09 am

lisjjen wrote:
12thman2011 wrote:

I'm glad everyone's being so chill. I heard [but didn't believe] that as soon as you said something even quasi-critical of Texas, Texans turn into pompous douchebags. I guess there should be a list of all the terrible myths that people promulgate about Texas.

ETA: I heard the former from a Californian.

Texas is so large and diverse that stereotypes are pretty silly. The culture of west Texas is entirely different from that of east Texas, and I'm sure there are many other culture pockets around the state. In fact, when I lived in El Paso, I was closer to the California border than I was to the gulf coast of Texas.

mfeller2

Postby mfeller2 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:56 am

Thanks Raptor & JazzOne! Awesome information in this thread. I'm pumped to go to UT next fall, but as a true Nebraska Cornhusker fan I don't think I could ever cheer for the Longhorns. Hopefully this isn't a problem! I might want to go to football games though. How early do we need to register for tickets?

mz253

Postby mz253 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:18 pm

thanks for the reply regarding to the sports facilities.

i have some other questions about parking and housing.

so, what's the most convenient location to park close to (1) law school, and (2) the gym?

and where do most law students live? do they drive, take the school shuttle, walk, or bike? do most housing come furnished? or you have to move in with your own furniture? do most housing come with parking space?

thx thx thx!

whitman

Postby whitman » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:29 pm

Two current Texas students:

Jazz, I know you mentioned somewhere that you had chose Texas over some T14s. What I want to know from all of you is, looking back, would you have chosen Texas over other options? In my case, I am choosing between Penn, Cornell, Georgetown, Vanderbilt, and Texas at this point.

In terms of lifestyle, Texas is my number one choice. I have wanted to live in Austin for a long time and attend UT for its sports, music scene, etc.

As far as careers go, I am interested in west coast, Austin, Nashville, DC, Boston, New Orleans, and I think I'd be okay with other Texas cities for a while (maybe a long time; haven't spent much time there), as well as Atlanta and Miami. Ideally, I'd like to go into environmental/energy/land use/immigration/human rights law (not interested in litigating on behalf of a major polluter, abuser of human rights, etc) but am keeping an open mind toward big law for its career opportunities down the line. I might also be interested in a clerkship.

Any words of wisdom?

Also, I was accepted January 26th but have not received a scholarship offer. I have yet to receive offers from any of the other schools I've been accepted to, except for Tulane, but would letting Texas know my options help get me some money? Or should I wait and hope for money from Vandy, GTown, etc?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:14 pm

mfeller2 wrote:Thanks Raptor & JazzOne! Awesome information in this thread. I'm pumped to go to UT next fall, but as a true Nebraska Cornhusker fan I don't think I could ever cheer for the Longhorns. Hopefully this isn't a problem! I might want to go to football games though. How early do we need to register for tickets?

Don't worry. I lost all respect for UT football when they scheduled UTEP for two years. They deserved to lose to Alabama for playing such a weak schedule.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:26 pm

whitman wrote:Two current Texas students:

Jazz, I know you mentioned somewhere that you had chose Texas over some T14s. What I want to know from all of you is, looking back, would you have chosen Texas over other options? In my case, I am choosing between Penn, Cornell, Georgetown, Vanderbilt, and Texas at this point.

In terms of lifestyle, Texas is my number one choice. I have wanted to live in Austin for a long time and attend UT for its sports, music scene, etc.

As far as careers go, I am interested in west coast, Austin, Nashville, DC, Boston, New Orleans, and I think I'd be okay with other Texas cities for a while (maybe a long time; haven't spent much time there), as well as Atlanta and Miami. Ideally, I'd like to go into environmental/energy/land use/immigration/human rights law (not interested in litigating on behalf of a major polluter, abuser of human rights, etc) but am keeping an open mind toward big law for its career opportunities down the line. I might also be interested in a clerkship.

Any words of wisdom?

Also, I was accepted January 26th but have not received a scholarship offer. I have yet to receive offers from any of the other schools I've been accepted to, except for Tulane, but would letting Texas know my options help get me some money? Or should I wait and hope for money from Vandy, GTown, etc?

When I say that I chose UT over T14, it's partly conjecture. I didn't apply anywhere else. I wanted to go to Austin because my fiance was seeking her teaching credentials in Texas. I've lived here most of my life, and I am perfectly content to practice in Texas. After I applied to UT, I started to get nervous and thought about applying to other schools. Then I got a full ride to UT, and that made my choice pretty simple. Given the scholarship that UT offered, I have to think I would have gotten into some lower T14 schools. Since your goals and background are quite different from mine, UT might not make as much sense for you.

Now that I'm actually in law school, I do regret that I didn't apply anywhere else, particularly Vanderbilt. I probably would have chosen UT anyway, but it would have been nice to have a choice. The facilities at UT are not very impressive. The selling points of UT are (1) a terrific crop of professors and (2) very affordable in-state tuition. The primary reason I chose UT is because I am extremely debt averse. I am 33 with a family, and I didn't want to burden them with enormous debt in case I struck out with biglaw.

If you want to discuss anything specific, I'd be happy to answer. I can't give you a very good comparison, though, because I didn't visit or research any other schools. Having said that, did you look at the pics of Vandy in the law school pictures thread? That's a bad ass campus with great employment stats. If they give you some money, I'd give them a hard look.

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:39 pm

TexasWave wrote:What makes you say that? I thought 168 was the MINIMUM to get any sort of scholarship.
Check LSN.

Gatyr

Postby Gatyr » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:09 am

lisjjen wrote:I heard [but didn't believe] that as soon as you said something even quasi-critical of Texas, Texans turn into pompous douchebags.

It's true that Texans have a large amount of pride in our state, and that some will aggressively defend it against outsiders openly and outwardly claiming superiority, but there are two things to consider:

-As long as you aren't saying something like "Man, Cali/NY/Florida/etc. are SOOOOOOO much better than Texas" (and therefore being a pompous douchebag yourself), you aren't going to find yourself pitting some outside area against Texas in normal conversation. There are plenty of "Don't Mess with Texas" stickers, and plenty of other indicators of pride, but you usually have to try to elicit that sort of douchebag reaction from a Texan.

-Austin's a unique city, and the people are equally unique (the homeless people here exemplify this best; there used to be one gentleman who would stand on the strip next to campus and hold a sign that said "If you can't read the other side, you're as crazy as I am." Anytime he saw someone reading, he would flip the sign to reveal a completely blank piece of cardboard). The student body, for the most part, bears little relation to the stereotypical Texan, and most students are fairly mindful of where Texas stands in the world.

/undergrad at UT

12thman2011

Postby 12thman2011 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:42 pm

12thman2011 wrote:Does anybody know if there is much hope for getting some money if you didn't get it when you were first admitted? I didn't apply to and of Texas's pier schools because I don't want to go out of state so as far as matching scholly's I'm SOL. Will more money become available once people start withdrawing?

This was never answered. I just wanted to bring it to attention before I gave up hope.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:07 pm

12thman2011 wrote:
12thman2011 wrote:Does anybody know if there is much hope for getting some money if you didn't get it when you were first admitted? I didn't apply to and of Texas's pier schools because I don't want to go out of state so as far as matching scholly's I'm SOL. Will more money become available once people start withdrawing?

This was never answered. I just wanted to bring it to attention before I gave up hope.

If you're in-state, I've heard of cases where scholarships or grants were given during the summer or even after the semester began. None of these were substantial amounts, but considering that in-state tuition is essentially a $45K scholarship, any extra bit counts.

Hank Chill

Postby Hank Chill » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:28 pm

I don't know if this belongs here:

How is UT dealing with the Texas budget hole? Have you heard anything from the school about huge tuition hikes or anything like that? I go to another state school in Texas and I got a very scary email this morning about the proposed education budget cuts. Our student government president wrote that financial aid would be non-existent and tuition would skyrocket if these budget cuts go through. I'm getting very nervous.

Comments, concerns, and insight would be great.

12thman2011

Postby 12thman2011 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:38 pm

Texas and A&M share the PUF for Texas and are the states two flagship universities. I doubt the students see too much of an impact because of the budget cuts. I'm just taking a stab in the dark here, I'm not in the know. All the emails we've gotten at A&M about the budget cuts are talking about how we are pairing up with Texas to make sure that the cuts aren't too deep at both of the universities.

awilson11

Postby awilson11 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:21 pm

Posting this in all the UT forums I have tagged so sorry if you see it a few times...
Where is a good place to stay for the OMV on April 8? Should I stay near the law school or closer to 6th Street? I want to go out on 6th Street at night, definitely, and I don't know what I would do at the law school beyond Friday... Also, I would prefer it to be reasonably cheap. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”