Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
AP-375

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby AP-375 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:18 am

Swagz wrote:Hey, I was just wondering how accommodating Texas is for 1Ls that want to do a joint JD/MBA program. I mean is it easier to apply to McCombs as 1L - or would it not be any different than applying as a 0L to the joint program.

Curious about this as well...

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:35 pm

Swagz wrote:Hey, I was just wondering how accommodating Texas is for 1Ls that want to do a joint JD/MBA program. I mean is it easier to apply to McCombs as 1L - or would it not be any different than applying as a 0L to the joint program.

I know a girl who is doing a joint JD/MBA. She applied to McCombs during 1L. I don't think it makes any difference whether you apply before or after the start of 1L, except for the fact that you might want to focus on grades during 1L rather than B-school apps.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:18 pm

JazzOne wrote:

I know a girl who is doing a joint JD/MBA. She applied to McCombs during 1L. I don't think it makes any difference whether you apply before or after the start of 1L, except for the fact that you might want to focus on grades during 1L rather than B-school apps.

Do you still need to take the GRE?

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:37 pm

lisjjen wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

Do you still need to take the GRE?

I think you mean the GMAT, and I'm pretty sure you do since admission to the bschool is independent of your enrollment in the law school

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:05 am

New question. How hard is the heat to get used to? It looks like it could break 100 about 6 months out of the year. Whereas the prospect of a warm winter is nice, a blazing spring, summer and fall might be as bad as a never ending winter.

Burgstaller04

Postby Burgstaller04 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:31 am

lisjjen wrote:New question. How hard is the heat to get used to? It looks like it could break 100 about 6 months out of the year. Whereas the prospect of a warm winter is nice, a blazing spring, summer and fall might be as bad as a never ending winter.

It's hot, but you get used to it fairly quickly. You sweat, but you stay inside and drink a lot of water when possible. You'll be alright and you'll enjoy it when it snows 2 inches and the city shuts down once every 5 years.

akili

Postby akili » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:01 am

lisjjen wrote:New question. How hard is the heat to get used to? It looks like it could break 100 about 6 months out of the year. Whereas the prospect of a warm winter is nice, a blazing spring, summer and fall might be as bad as a never ending winter.

Covered parking is a really really good call, btw. The fall and spring are nice, it's just May-ish--late September/October-ish that are uncomfortable.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:09 pm

What's your BMI? All my bigger friends who like to make fun of a skinny chap shut the hell up in the summer when they're drenched and I haven't even broken a sweat.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:58 pm

JazzOne wrote:

What's your BMI? All my bigger friends who like to make fun of a skinny chap shut the hell up in the summer when they're drenched and I haven't even broken a sweat.

Hi-ish. Think Defensive tackle. I jog at least three times a week though so I stay fit.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:14 pm

lisjjen wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

Hi-ish. Think Defensive tackle. I jog at least three times a week though so I stay fit.

In that case, you're going to be a sweaty mess for a couple months out of the year. Luckily, the worst months are during break, so you can probably arrange to leave the region for a spell, but late August and early September are no joke either.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:01 pm

I like the weather, but I've always liked hot weather. It's a little more humid than I thought, but other than that the weather hasn't been a negative at all for me.

BeachandRun23

Postby BeachandRun23 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:14 pm

Im trying to plan a trip to the ASW. What is the best way to get to the hotels/law school from the airport (bus, taxi, subway, shuttle, rent a car...etc)? Also, which hotels are best to stay at??

Thanks.

12thman2011

Postby 12thman2011 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:33 pm

BeachandRun23 wrote:Im trying to plan a trip to the ASW. What is the best way to get to the hotels/law school from the airport (bus, taxi, subway, shuttle, rent a car...etc)? Also, which hotels are best to stay at??

Thanks.

You'll probably be waiting another couple decades on a subway system in Austin. Sorry I'm not much help here but I'd venture to guess that there's a shuttle that will take you to campus, or you can arrange for you hotel's shuttle to pick you up. If you are staying near campus you probably don't need to rent a car. As far as taxis go I've lived in Texas my whole life and have never used a taxi here. Being as spread out as we are most people have their own cars.

I saw the post under mine and thought I'd add that I would definitely rent a car if I was in your position, but I don't like going anywhere without a vehicle. Once you get downtown there is a lot to do and a car wouldn't be required. If you do rent a car though be prepared to drive in traffic and Austin traffic sucks. Avoid I-35 at all costs.
Last edited by 12thman2011 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

akili

Postby akili » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:46 pm

BeachandRun23 wrote:Im trying to plan a trip to the ASW. What is the best way to get to the hotels/law school from the airport (bus, taxi, subway, shuttle, rent a car...etc)? Also, which hotels are best to stay at??

Thanks.

Honestly, rent a car would be my choice. You'll have a lot more flexibility and can check out more of the sights. The bus system around UT is really great, however. I don't know how much it costs for non-students (yet!) though. There are a lot of taxis at the airport and around downtown (someone needs to drive the drunk people home from 6th street).

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:36 pm

akili wrote:

Thanks.

Honestly, rent a car would be my choice. You'll have a lot more flexibility and can check out more of the sights. The bus system around UT is really great, however. I don't know how much it costs for non-students (yet!) though. There are a lot of taxis at the airport and around downtown (someone needs to drive the drunk people home from 6th street).

I think the bus is like $1 (or free with a student ID).

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:22 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
akili wrote:

Thanks.

Yup...If i remember correctly, the express bus routes are $2, but that's still a great deal since there's a direct bus route from the airport to downtown/law school. Cab fare would be around $30-$40 one way.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:12 pm

akili wrote:

Thanks.

I would probably +1 the suggestion to rent a car, as rental cars are ridiculously cheap these days. You can get a Chevy Aveo for probably $20 a day. If you don't want to do that, though, I usually take a cab from the airport to my house, which is near campus. It's about 20 dollars, but it's quicker, easier, and more pleasant than taking the bus.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:23 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
akili wrote:

Thanks.

I heard about the free bus passes with student ID. How often do people go downtown? I heard that the immediate area around UT is a great little college town with all kinds of bars, restaurants, theatres, etc. I'm trying to debate if I want to take my tiny Hyundai (with 200,000 miles already on it) on the 1,500 mile trek from Idaho to Texas.

Also, I know football and basketball are a way of life there. Does anybody give a flying eff about baseball? I don't really know anyone who cares about college baseball.

akili

Postby akili » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:43 pm

lisjjen wrote:
I heard about the free bus passes with student ID. How often do people go downtown? I heard that the immediate area around UT is a great little college town with all kinds of bars, restaurants, theatres, etc. I'm trying to debate if I want to take my tiny Hyundai (with 200,000 miles already on it) on the 1,500 mile trek from Idaho to Texas.

Also, I know football and basketball are a way of life there. Does anybody give a flying eff about baseball? I don't really know anyone who cares about college baseball.

I know UT baseball does very well. I think they won the National Championship a few years back maybe? On the professional side, people like the Rangers a lot too.

Downtown is probably do-able without a car, if you really really wanted to, but I honestly would drive your car down for school. The drive is pretty nice (I've done Spokane --> Austin) a couple times. When you hit the Texas border it's pretty lame though and Lubbock is the worst city ever.

12thman2011

Postby 12thman2011 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:27 pm

I don't know how the general population cares about baseball in Austin, but Texas's baseball team is a perennial national title contender.

bidnez11

Postby bidnez11 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:31 am

lisjjen wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
akili wrote:

Thanks.

I heard about the free bus passes with student ID. How often do people go downtown? I heard that the immediate area around UT is a great little college town with all kinds of bars, restaurants, theatres, etc. I'm trying to debate if I want to take my tiny Hyundai (with
200,000 miles already on it) on the 1,500 mile trek from Idaho to Texas.

In my opinion, baseball is a huge deal in Texas in the youth and as far as UT goes, the games are great. Really fun to go to and quite relaxing. I go to the other big state school and while I love our other sports, our baseball fans are terrible and ruin the games. It's miserable to sit through a game if you have ever had any baseball experience but UT baseball does it right and it's great to go to the games. I'm really excited to have the opportunity next spring.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:48 am

There are a lot of locals who support UT baseball. They went to the final series two years ago but came up a hair short and lost the national champiosnhip. Last year was a bit disappointing. A lot of UT athletes go to a local Chili's after the games. Colt McCoy used to go there, and I've met some of the baseball players at the bar.

Hank Chill

Postby Hank Chill » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:33 pm

I'm 99% certain that I'll been in Austin this fall. When should I start my apartment hunt? Nowish?

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:08 pm

Hank Chill wrote:I'm 99% certain that I'll been in Austin this fall. When should I start my apartment hunt? Nowish?

if you want a roommate, you should wait till April (after deposits are in) and check the freshlaw board. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter, but the sooner the better. Now is too soon though, I would think.

velociraptor

Postby velociraptor » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:13 am

Sorry if someone has asked something similar, but I'm a resident, 4.0 with good resume and recs... Do any of you 1Ls know someone in your section with similar characteristics that got a scholarship, and if so, how much?

Also, do you know if money is drying up right now? Applied in Jan because I wanted to up my LSAT in time (Dec) for this cycle.

Of course, these questions assume that I will be admitted... which you would be better at predicting.

[EDIT: Nice s/n, philosoraptor. 8) ]
Last edited by velociraptor on Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”