Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
littlebit

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby littlebit » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:13 am

JazzOne wrote:
12thman2011 wrote:It's tempting to comment on the "football" statement, but since I'm coming here asking for information I'll refrain.

Does anybody have experience getting held for regular decision after applying early admit? I've a 167, 3.69, and a resident at the other major university in Texas. Does anybody have a guess on when I can expect to hear back from the admissions office? I'll take an educated guess or blind speculation.

I was held from EA two cycles ago, and I got my decision in mid February.

I was held from EA three cycles ago, and I got my decision in mid February. I did make a trip to visit and tour in early February and received an acceptance the next day.
Last edited by littlebit on Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:15 am

littlebit wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
12thman2011 wrote:It's tempting to comment on the "football" statement, but since I'm coming here asking for information I'll refrain.

Does anybody have experience getting held for regular decision after applying early admit? I've a 167, 3.69, and a resident at the other major university in Texas. Does anybody have a guess on when I can expect to hear back from the admissions office? I'll take an educated guess or blind speculation.

I was held from EA two cycles ago, and I got my decision in mid February.

I was held from EA three cycles ago, and I got my decision in mid February (with money). I did make a trip to visit and tour in early February and received an acceptance the next day.

I also got money in February, so there are probably still some scholarships going out.

lawschoolman1

Postby lawschoolman1 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:49 pm

repost:

Do any of you at UT know any JD's getting jobs at TPG or any of the private equity firms in Texas?

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:34 pm

Hey I posted this in the c/o 2014 thread, but I figured actual students might have more info. I've heard that UT puts employment stats on freshlaw to help prospective students make a decision. Is that true? Did they do that in your app year?

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:02 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:Hey I posted this in the c/o 2014 thread, but I figured actual students might have more info. I've heard that UT puts employment stats on freshlaw to help prospective students make a decision. Is that true? Did they do that in your app year?
I remember they did allow access to some stuff but restricted the most specific info. Check around the CSO website with your UT EID (it's a limited ID until you enroll) and see what you can find.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:28 pm

So I just perused a the freshlaw website

a) is it true that UT law grads don't wear a robe at their graduation?
b) if I'm going to get a travel stipend, when would I probably find out?
c) if I do revieve the aforementioned stipend, will it be on freshlaw?

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:05 pm

Given your username and the bolded: subtlety, you lack it. Good luck in your cycle and getting off the held list! And thx for not rubbing salt in our football wound. :(

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:07 pm

lisjjen wrote:So I just perused a the freshlaw website

a) is it true that UT law grads don't wear a robe at their graduation?
b) if I'm going to get a travel stipend, when would I probably find out?
c) if I do revieve the aforementioned stipend, will it be on freshlaw?

a) IIRC from graduation last year, this is correct and the best news ever - cheap plastic-y robes are the last thing you want to wear outdoors in late May in Texas.

Not sure about b & c sorry!

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:55 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:Hey I posted this in the c/o 2014 thread, but I figured actual students might have more info. I've heard that UT puts employment stats on freshlaw to help prospective students make a decision. Is that true? Did they do that in your app year?
I remember they did allow access to some stuff but restricted the most specific info. Check around the CSO website with your UT EID (it's a limited ID until you enroll) and see what you can find.

I tried to log in, but it said I didn't have permission. Would anyone be willing to post some employment stats, or is that a no-no?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:06 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
philosoraptor wrote:

I tried to log in, but it said I didn't have permission. Would anyone be willing to post some employment stats, or is that a no-no?

Out of curiosity, I checked the CSO website, and there is a link for employment statistics. I had to enter my student login information to download it. The document contains employment stats for the class of 2009. I don't think I should post it here or forward it. I could summarize it or give you a particular data point that you're interested in.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:44 am

Hey I visited a couple of summers ago but am not sure I remember correctly. Is the law building kind of big and black? It was like 114 and I can really only remember the heat.

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:52 am

FlanAl wrote:Hey I visited a couple of summers ago but am not sure I remember correctly. Is the law building kind of big and black? It was like 114 and I can really only remember the heat.
Nope, it's big and light-colored and Southwestern-looking. It's got plenty of dark wood color inside, though, if that's what you're thinking of. Kind of a strange building, to be honest.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:25 am

ok great thanks for the reminder, sounds nice. for whatever reason i thought it was a big black pebble-dash looking building, I was way off. I think I might get to visit soon so I should get to take another look.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:19 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
FlanAl wrote:Hey I visited a couple of summers ago but am not sure I remember correctly. Is the law building kind of big and black? It was like 114 and I can really only remember the heat.
Nope, it's big and light-colored and Southwestern-looking. It's got plenty of dark wood color inside, though, if that's what you're thinking of. Kind of a strange building, to be honest.

The only black part of the building that comes to mind is that pavilion between the law school and the Eidman court room. That's probably the coolest part of the whole LS, TBH.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:42 am

For all those answering questions, did you tour UT first and rather you did or didn't, did you tour anywhere else too?

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:25 am

Also, are there any clinics that work with businesses or specifically startups?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:01 am

lisjjen wrote:For all those answering questions, did you tour UT first and rather you did or didn't, did you tour anywhere else too?

I saw the law school for the first time during ASW. I didn't take a tour, but I walked around the law school. The physical law school is not very impressive at all. The building is old, and the library is a mess due to renovations. The highlights of UT Law are the inexpensive tuition, terrific professors, decent rank and placement, snd a great location. Don't expect to be blown away by a tour.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:33 pm

lisjjen wrote:For all those answering questions, did you tour UT first and rather you did or didn't, did you tour anywhere else too?

I attended ASW at UT and UVA. I had previously visited Chicago, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, and Notre Dame. I love UT, but it definitely had the least impressive law school of all the places visited. UVA definitely put together a more impressive ASW as well. With all that said, I've very much enjoyed my first semester here and have been blown away by how amazing the professors are and how awesome my classmates have been. My decision came down to UVA and UT and, as of right now, I don't regret that decision at all.

HowdyYall

Postby HowdyYall » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:39 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

I attended ASW at UT and UVA. I had previously visited Chicago, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, and Notre Dame. I love UT, but it definitely had the least impressive law school of all the places visited. UVA definitely put together a more impressive ASW as well. With all that said, I've very much enjoyed my first semester here and have been blown away by how amazing the professors are and how awesome my classmates have been. My decision came down to UVA and UT and, as of right now, I don't regret that decision at all.

im trying to decide between Chicago and UT (w/ $40,000) right now. trying to get into biglaw eventually. What made you chose UT over Chicago?

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:59 pm

HowdyYall wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

im trying to decide between Chicago and UT (w/ $40,000) right now. trying to get into biglaw eventually. What made you chose UT over Chicago?

Should have included in my previous post that Chicago was the one school I listed which I was not accepted. I was waitlisted and visited in an effort to get off the waitlist.

If I had gotten off the waitlist I'm not sure what my decision would have been. It would have been a similar decision debt-wise as yours, since it would have been in-state with 15k/yr vs. sticker. I would love to have a shot at academia, which was the big reason why Chicago was so enticing. But I don't know if biglaw (if I'm even lucky enough to have that choice) is for me, so the much bigger debt is a lot scarier to me. If you know you want to work in Texas and want to limit debt, UT is a pretty enticing choice. If you don't want to work in Texas (or not too sure) and/or you just want to maximize your chances at biglaw, Chicago may be the better call.

12thman2011

Postby 12thman2011 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:08 pm

I just got admitted today and now I'm starting to think about moving to Austin. Does the University send out a roster of the class before the semester starts or should I beat the bush at my undergrad and find the other people going to texas?
Last edited by 12thman2011 on Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:08 pm

Also, are there any cigar bars in Austin?

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:47 pm

12thman2011 wrote:I just got admitted today and now I'm starting to think about moving to Austin. Does the University send out a roster of the class before the semester starts or should I beat the bush at my undergrad and find the other people going to texas?
Congrats! I don't recall any roster that the university sends out, but TLS and Facebook are good ways to start connecting with your future classmates. I wouldn't worry about it too much before summer -- you're going to be spending a lot of time with those folks over the next three years, and there's a zillion official and unofficial social opportunities once you get to campus.

That said, I might suggest moving to Austin a few weeks early if you can. People who did that and found one another had already formed good relationships by the time the rest of us arrived. But it doesn't really matter either way.

AP-375

Postby AP-375 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:05 pm

Does anyone feel like making a campus visit might be helpful for admissions? I'm not too far away and Texas is a statistically attainable reach (similar #s to philo-raptor), and I'd be more than willing to make the trip. Any advice?

akili

Postby akili » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:11 pm

What are some good/common apartment complexes that law students live in? I live in Austin right now and kind of want to scope out how that would work. Does anyone live near Town Lake/Zilker? Is that too long of a commute to campus most days?

If they are pet-friendly that would be pretty awesome too :)

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”