Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
philosoraptor

Silver

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Post by philosoraptor » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:13 pm

lisjjen wrote:
JazzOne wrote: ...Bicycling and exercising are popular activities here...

... I guess I'm just into barbecue, Mexican food, and women wearing boots.
Keeps sounding better and better all the time. I've heard the bike thing before. Is it bike friendly enough that I could leave my car 2000 miles away? My brother lives in OKC and he was saying I would probably want a car in Austin.
Quite bike-friendly. Probably worth it to have a car, depending on where you live, but I rely on my bike for most in-town transportation. Saves a ton in gas and campus parking.

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:20 pm

JazzOne wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
f0bolous wrote: They're available for download on the library's website for the past 10 or so years' worth. Beyond that, there's an archive in the library. Some professors don't provide past exams, though. In fact, one of my profs made us buy her sample exams.
lol

Please out this professor. That's absurd.
--LinkRemoved--
I've heard she's a really good professor, so I guess she deserves a pass. Did you enjoy that class?
I'm in the same section as f0bolous, and I really enjoyed civ pro. Mullenix's exam book was out of date and poorly edited and formatted (not unlike her black-letter outline), but it was hugely helpful in prepping. It sucks, though, that we had to buy it to get a sense of her old exams.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:10 pm

lisjjen wrote:

Keeps sounding better and better all the time. I've heard the bike thing before. Is it bike friendly enough that I could leave my car 2000 miles away? My brother lives in OKC and he was saying I would probably want a car in Austin.
You can get an apartment across the street from campus, and you can definitely get by without a car. I'm trying to sell my car right now, and I live about 20 blocks from campus. The shuttle is very convenient. I never drive to campus.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:37 pm

JazzOne wrote:
lisjjen wrote:

You can get an apartment across the street from campus, and you can definitely get by without a car. I'm trying to sell my car right now, and I live about 20 blocks from campus. The shuttle is very convenient. I never drive to campus.
I also almost never drive to campus. In addition to the UT shuttles, the city buses also service the university and run till 12 (some routes till 3 am). However, a car is, for me at least, almost necessary for errands (like grocery runs, people stalking watching at starbucks) and whenever I go for a run at town lake, which is at least once a week.

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:45 pm

f0bolous wrote:
I also almost never drive to campus. In addition to the UT shuttles, the city buses also service the university and run till 12 (some routes till 3 am). However, a car is, for me at least, almost necessary for errands (like grocery runs, people stalking watching at starbucks) and whenever I go for a run at town lake, which is at least once a week.
I used to hate running. About 75lbs ago, I used to really hate running, but now it's a major part of my life. One of the things that worries me about a few of the schools I've applied to like USC and University of Chicago is that if I came back from class at 10ish at night, you couldn't pay me to go running. How safe is the immediate area around campus at UT?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:49 pm

lisjjen wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
I used to hate running. About 75lbs ago, I used to really hate running, but now it's a major part of my life. One of the things that worries me about a few of the schools I've applied to like USC and University of Chicago is that if I came back from class at 10ish at night, you couldn't pay me to go running. How safe is the immediate area around campus at UT?
i'd say it's pretty safe, although personally i've never run that late in that area. on late nights when i walk back from the library, i always see people running around (mainly undergrads).

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:57 pm

New question.

Vanderbilt offered to buy me a plane ticket and put me up with a student for ASD. I wouldn't mind a free trip to Nashville, but the school I really want to tour is UT. I already called your admissions department and they said they most likely couldn't reimburse me, but I didn't hear anything about staying in a dorm with a student. Do ya'll know anything about this?

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:34 pm

lisjjen wrote:New question.

Vanderbilt offered to buy me a plane ticket and put me up with a student for ASD. I wouldn't mind a free trip to Nashville, but the school I really want to tour is UT. I already called your admissions department and they said they most likely couldn't reimburse me, but I didn't hear anything about staying in a dorm with a student. Do ya'll know anything about this?
We don't really have dorms, so I don't know how the quartering would work. In the past, people with certain LSATs have gotten travel stipends, not reimbursements, for ASD. I'd assume that if you're good enough for Vandy to pay your way, Texas would also help you out. If I were you, I'd wait a bit and see if they offer you some cash before ASD.

masochist

Bronze

Post by masochist » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:59 pm

I have yet another Austin/culture of UT question.

I’ve lived my adult life in progressive cities (Portland, Chicago, and San Francisco). My sense is that Austin would also qualify as a pretty progressive, tolerant city. Is this accurate? Can same-sex couples hold hands in public, or is this not advised? Are head scarves OK? Forgive my naiveté if these are ridiculous questions. My friends are very important to me, and I would want to know that they will feel comfortable visiting me over the next three years. From a purely practical perspective, if my friends can’t visit me, it means I have to visit them. This would add a significant amount to my COA.

Also, how welcoming is UT for older students? Law school represents a career change for me so I’ll be in my early 30s when I start in the fall.

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate the existence of threads like this since it is so difficult to find unbiased information from other sources.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:08 pm

masochist wrote:I have yet another Austin/culture of UT question.

I’ve lived my adult life in progressive cities (Portland, Chicago, and San Francisco). My sense is that Austin would also qualify as a pretty progressive, tolerant city. Is this accurate? Can same-sex couples hold hands in public, or is this not advised? Are head scarves OK? Forgive my naiveté if these are ridiculous questions. My friends are very important to me, and I would want to know that they will feel comfortable visiting me over the next three years. From a purely practical perspective, if my friends can’t visit me, it means I have to visit them. This would add a significant amount to my COA.

Also, how welcoming is UT for older students? Law school represents a career change for me so I’ll be in my early 30s when I start in the fall.

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate the existence of threads like this since it is so difficult to find unbiased information from other sources.
IMO, Portland, San Francisco, and Austin all have a similar feel to them. I don't think it would be strange seeing same-sex couples holding hands in public in downtown Austin and I strongly doubt head scarves would draw many second looks. At least that has been my experience, maybe other students have experienced something different.

I don't think early 30's would stick out at all either. The average age will be early to mid 20's, but there were a decent amount of non-traditional students in my section.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:51 pm

Austin resident and UT grad, popping in:
lisjjen wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
Are you a guy or a girl? In my opinion, there are very few if any neighborhoods in Austin that are really unsafe, though some are probably a little less safe than others. The area around campus, as well as north campus and hyde park, are very safe, and if you're a guy I would say that you'd be safe going for a run any time of the day or night. If you're a girl, you'd probably want to be more careful and selective in where you choose to run, though I would think this is the case anywhere. Muggins, murders and assaults are very rare here (or at least I never hear about them) and even in bad neighborhoods you're probably safe as long as you're not involved with some criminal element.
masochist wrote:I have yet another Austin/culture of UT question.

Austin is very progressive, and same sex couples, headscarves, and scantily clad transgendereds on bicycles are all pretty widely tolerated. This is especially the case in the areas around the university and downtown. Venture into the suburbs north of town (cedar park, round rock, georgetown) and you'll find much less open mindedness, as these are in williamson county which is pretty conservative. Probably the case (less tolerant, not necessarily more conservative politically) in some parts of north austin and the east side too, but I can't really say that with any certainty.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:39 pm

Marionberry wrote: Muggins, murders and assaults are very rare here (or at least I never hear about them) and even in bad neighborhoods you're probably safe as long as you're not involved with some criminal element.
TBF,

Muggins isn't that dangerous in the first place. At least relative to other mice.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:45 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
Marionberry wrote: Muggins, murders and assaults are very rare here (or at least I never hear about them) and even in bad neighborhoods you're probably safe as long as you're not involved with some criminal element.
TBF,

Muggins isn't that dangerous in the first place. At least relative to other mice.
Many people don't know this, but he has a violent past.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:54 pm

Marionberry wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
TBF,

Many people don't know this, but he has a violent past.
:lol: :lol:

--ImageRemoved--

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:51 am

I guess this question should have been asked before now. I never actually got an actual University of Texas viewbook, which I thought was weird.

a) did any of you?
b) do they have any programs that encourage business law and are there any good regulation law classes?

You guys are kinda turning into designated trollers for UT Austin, which I am okie dokie with. Unless I start seeing some similar numbers from another T20 in a warm climate with a good economy, good food and a great football team, I think I'm sold. I guess that is to say, I'd have to get better scholarship offers from USC or Vanderbilt. Or HYS with or w/out money.

niederbomb

Silver

Post by niederbomb » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:08 am

LSAT: 16* (don't go very high)/17* (don't go up at all) and 3.9* GPA.

What are my chances for a full ride? I'm a Texas resident.

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:55 am

lisjjen wrote:I guess this question should have been asked before now. I never actually got an actual University of Texas viewbook, which I thought was weird.

a) did any of you?
b) do they have any programs that encourage business law and are there any good regulation law classes?

You guys are kinda turning into designated trollers for UT Austin, which I am okie dokie with. Unless I start seeing some similar numbers from another T20 in a warm climate with a good economy, good food and a great football team, I think I'm sold. I guess that is to say, I'd have to get better scholarship offers from USC or Vanderbilt. Or HYS with or w/out money.

yea i was wondering about the viewbook. All i got was a packet that talked about UT's national reach, a UT Law magazine, and a packet about some public interest stuff.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BeachandRun23

Bronze

Post by BeachandRun23 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:43 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:yea i was wondering about the viewbook. All i got was a packet that talked about UT's national reach, a UT Law magazine, and a packet about some public interest stuff.
Its available on their website, but yeah I was kind of looking for one too.

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:52 pm

lisjjen wrote:I guess this question should have been asked before now. I never actually got an actual University of Texas viewbook, which I thought was weird.

a) did any of you?
Call/e-mail the admissions office and ask for one. Otherwise it should be available on the website.
Of course. Business law's big around here. I hear the admin/regulation profs are good, too. Maybe some upper-level students can comment on the specific classes.
Trollers? We're just here to answer questions. Hope it's been helpful.

As to the bolded: :cry:

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:55 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
Trollers? We're just here to answer questions. Hope it's been helpful.

As to the bolded: :cry:
If you providing information sounds like trolling (I use the term jokingly) than that's a good sign. Is the sad face because I would include that in the nonacademic appeal of UT or because the team wasn't as good as usual this year?

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:57 pm

lisjjen wrote:because the team wasn't as good as usual this year
This, but that's putting it mildly.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:00 pm

are there any kids at UT who went to undergrad in a different country? I'm trying to get a feel for my chances with a 170 and a "above average" GPA (lsac doesn't give us a numerical gpa). Thanks!

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:00 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
lisjjen wrote:because the team wasn't as good as usual this year
This, but that's putting it mildly.
I like to think they took an off year so they can kick even more ass next year when I get there even though I probably won't have the time to have a life

12thman2011

New

Post by 12thman2011 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:59 pm

It's tempting to comment on the "football" statement, but since I'm coming here asking for information I'll refrain.

Does anybody have experience getting held for regular decision after applying early admit? I've a 167, 3.69, and a resident at the other major university in Texas. Does anybody have a guess on when I can expect to hear back from the admissions office? I'll take an educated guess or blind speculation.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:09 am

12thman2011 wrote:It's tempting to comment on the "football" statement, but since I'm coming here asking for information I'll refrain.

Does anybody have experience getting held for regular decision after applying early admit? I've a 167, 3.69, and a resident at the other major university in Texas. Does anybody have a guess on when I can expect to hear back from the admissions office? I'll take an educated guess or blind speculation.
I was held from EA two cycles ago, and I got my decision in mid February.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”