Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:52 pm

Hey guys, how did you budget for food? I'm looking at the COA breakdown to estimate loans, and it doesn't seem like it allocates very much for food. Assuming you rent a a place for 700 and have about 50 bucks in utilities, you'll be left with about 1,500 from the room and board estimate. combine that with the miscellaneous category and you're up to 4,500 for food for the year. That doesn't seem like a ton. That also assumes you basically spend no money on anything besides food, utilities, rent, and commuting (since there is a travel category). You still have to cover cell phone and internet bills. If any other large costs (or a number of small costs) come up, it seems like your food budget gets demolished. Am I missing something.

Oh and I'm a pretty in shape 6'2 dude, so I kinda need a lot of food, which is why I'm worrying a little.

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby de5igual » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:16 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:Hey guys, how did you budget for food? I'm looking at the COA breakdown to estimate loans, and it doesn't seem like it allocates very much for food. Assuming you rent a a place for 700 and have about 50 bucks in utilities, you'll be left with about 1,500 from the room and board estimate. combine that with the miscellaneous category and you're up to 4,500 for food for the year. That doesn't seem like a ton. That also assumes you basically spend no money on anything besides food, utilities, rent, and commuting (since there is a travel category). You still have to cover cell phone and internet bills. If any other large costs (or a number of small costs) come up, it seems like your food budget gets demolished. Am I missing something.

Oh and I'm a pretty in shape 6'2 dude, so I kinda need a lot of food, which is why I'm worrying a little.


that's one of my biggest issues with UT...they completely lowballed the COL and base it off of a state-wide standard (meaning, it's not based on Austin's COL, but that of College Station, Waco, etc)

Also, remember to factor in books. Don't forget gas either if you have a car. These are costs that the financial aid dept feel "your parents" should be providing; if you don't have parental support, tough shit.

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:18 pm

f0bolous wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:Hey guys, how did you budget for food? I'm looking at the COA breakdown to estimate loans, and it doesn't seem like it allocates very much for food. Assuming you rent a a place for 700 and have about 50 bucks in utilities, you'll be left with about 1,500 from the room and board estimate. combine that with the miscellaneous category and you're up to 4,500 for food for the year. That doesn't seem like a ton. That also assumes you basically spend no money on anything besides food, utilities, rent, and commuting (since there is a travel category). You still have to cover cell phone and internet bills. If any other large costs (or a number of small costs) come up, it seems like your food budget gets demolished. Am I missing something.

Oh and I'm a pretty in shape 6'2 dude, so I kinda need a lot of food, which is why I'm worrying a little.


that's one of my biggest issues with UT...they completely lowballed the COL and base it off of a state-wide standard (meaning, it's not based on Austin's COL, but that of College Station, Waco, etc)

Also, remember to factor in books. Don't forget gas either if you have a car. These are costs that the financial aid dept feel "your parents" should be providing; if you don't have parental support, tough shit.


Ah that sucks. So what do people do without parental involvement? Do they take out additional unsubsidized loans? And I thought 180k in debt would be high... I can't imagine taking out extra loans on top of the COA estimate.

Do students get need based grants from the school? I ask because I've always heard that most people end up with 100-120k in debt, not 180+

ATR
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:18 pm

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby ATR » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:35 pm

How well does Texas place into the New York and Chicago markets?

User avatar
philosoraptor
Posts: 708
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:49 am

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby philosoraptor » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:06 pm

atresia wrote:How well does Texas place into the New York and Chicago markets?
From the career services office:

"Over the past three years, 30 percent or more of students have secured postgraduate employment outside of Texas. UT Law graduates have chosen employment in 36 states, as well as the District of Columbia, with the most prevalent out-of-state opportunities in New York, California, Washington, DC, and Illinois." [Emphasis added.]

See generally: http://www.utexas.edu/law/career/prospective/stats.html

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby de5igual » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:19 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:Hey guys, how did you budget for food? I'm looking at the COA breakdown to estimate loans, and it doesn't seem like it allocates very much for food. Assuming you rent a a place for 700 and have about 50 bucks in utilities, you'll be left with about 1,500 from the room and board estimate. combine that with the miscellaneous category and you're up to 4,500 for food for the year. That doesn't seem like a ton. That also assumes you basically spend no money on anything besides food, utilities, rent, and commuting (since there is a travel category). You still have to cover cell phone and internet bills. If any other large costs (or a number of small costs) come up, it seems like your food budget gets demolished. Am I missing something.

Oh and I'm a pretty in shape 6'2 dude, so I kinda need a lot of food, which is why I'm worrying a little.


that's one of my biggest issues with UT...they completely lowballed the COL and base it off of a state-wide standard (meaning, it's not based on Austin's COL, but that of College Station, Waco, etc)

Also, remember to factor in books. Don't forget gas either if you have a car. These are costs that the financial aid dept feel "your parents" should be providing; if you don't have parental support, tough shit.


Ah that sucks. So what do people do without parental involvement? Do they take out additional unsubsidized loans? And I thought 180k in debt would be high... I can't imagine taking out extra loans on top of the COA estimate.

Do students get need based grants from the school? I ask because I've always heard that most people end up with 100-120k in debt, not 180+


I worked a few years beforehand, so I had some money saved up, but I'm not sure what you could do if you had no savings and were in the same situation. I'm guessing probably private loans, but you could learn to adjust your diet and manage expenses in other ways to meet their budget (e.g., skip out on health insurance, don't get a car, eat on a $20/week budget - it IS doable, and never go out)

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:27 pm

Ah that sounds awful. I have a fairly well-paying job for being an '09 grad in the non-profit sector, but I live in a super expensive city. It makes saving a ton rather difficult. More loans it is then...

How generous is UT with need-based scholarships? Do you know which schools they consider their peers (for matching purposes)?

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby de5igual » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:32 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:Ah that sounds awful. I have a fairly well-paying job for being an '09 grad in the non-profit sector, but I live in a super expensive city. It makes saving a ton rather difficult. More loans it is then...

How generous is UT with need-based scholarships? Do you know which schools they consider their peers (for matching purposes)?


i'm probably making it sound worse because i made the mistake of getting a 1BR. If you can find rent for under 600 and split utilities, honestly, it's not too horrible. i would think long and hard before taking out additional private loans.

UT isn't generous with need-based grants, but if you're in-state, they're more willing to negotiate for scholarships. For out of state, they'd typically only consider T14+UCLA and Vandy as peers.

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:36 pm

f0bolous wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:Ah that sounds awful. I have a fairly well-paying job for being an '09 grad in the non-profit sector, but I live in a super expensive city. It makes saving a ton rather difficult. More loans it is then...

How generous is UT with need-based scholarships? Do you know which schools they consider their peers (for matching purposes)?


i'm probably making it sound worse because i made the mistake of getting a 1BR. If you can find rent for under 600 and split utilities, honestly, it's not too horrible. i would think long and hard before taking out additional private loans.

UT isn't generous with need-based grants, but if you're in-state, they're more willing to negotiate for scholarships. For out of state, they'd typically only consider T14+UCLA and Vandy as peers.



Thanks for the info. I applied to USC for matching purposes... hope that wasn't a waste. I should probably throw an app at vandy then.

User avatar
philosoraptor
Posts: 708
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:49 am

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby philosoraptor » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:02 pm

Always try to get UT to match your scholarship offers from other schools -- you never know what schools they view as competitors that year. Anecdotally, they didn't give me a cent for my Emory scholarship, but my GF had a substantial offer matched (maybe even exceeded) from a different T25 school. But, of course, wait until your cycle is completely over to write the letter. You get only one shot.

Austin isn't too expensive to live in if you don't splurge too often, but that's true of any big city. My housing and food budget is very manageable, and I'd like to think I live comfortably. It really helps that I have a roommate and live close to campus.

User avatar
adrib
Posts: 283
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:03 pm

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby adrib » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:43 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:Hey guys, how did you budget for food? I'm looking at the COA breakdown to estimate loans, and it doesn't seem like it allocates very much for food. Assuming you rent a a place for 700 and have about 50 bucks in utilities, you'll be left with about 1,500 from the room and board estimate. combine that with the miscellaneous category and you're up to 4,500 for food for the year. That doesn't seem like a ton. That also assumes you basically spend no money on anything besides food, utilities, rent, and commuting (since there is a travel category). You still have to cover cell phone and internet bills. If any other large costs (or a number of small costs) come up, it seems like your food budget gets demolished. Am I missing something.

Oh and I'm a pretty in shape 6'2 dude, so I kinda need a lot of food, which is why I'm worrying a little.


on the food budget: there is so much free food at school. If you study after 6 pm instead of during business hours, you could attend a ton of functions during the day and eat for free. I tried to track how much stuff they gave away, but I gave up after a couple of weeks because it became apparent there'd always be free food available if you were willing to attending lectures and meetings.

That doesn't account for winter break or weekend food, though...

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:27 pm

adrib wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:Hey guys, how did you budget for food? I'm looking at the COA breakdown to estimate loans, and it doesn't seem like it allocates very much for food. Assuming you rent a a place for 700 and have about 50 bucks in utilities, you'll be left with about 1,500 from the room and board estimate. combine that with the miscellaneous category and you're up to 4,500 for food for the year. That doesn't seem like a ton. That also assumes you basically spend no money on anything besides food, utilities, rent, and commuting (since there is a travel category). You still have to cover cell phone and internet bills. If any other large costs (or a number of small costs) come up, it seems like your food budget gets demolished. Am I missing something.

Oh and I'm a pretty in shape 6'2 dude, so I kinda need a lot of food, which is why I'm worrying a little.


on the food budget: there is so much free food at school. If you study after 6 pm instead of during business hours, you could attend a ton of functions during the day and eat for free. I tried to track how much stuff they gave away, but I gave up after a couple of weeks because it became apparent there'd always be free food available if you were willing to attending lectures and meetings.

That doesn't account for winter break or weekend food, though...



that's awesome!

BeachandRun23
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:20 am

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby BeachandRun23 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:15 am

How is UT's placement in NY and DC? Possible for the top 1/3 to get a biglaw gig in NYC?

Anyone want to help. Thanks.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby JazzOne » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:32 am

BeachandRun23 wrote:How is UT's placement in NY and DC? Possible for the top 1/3 to get a biglaw gig in NYC?

Anyone want to help. Thanks.

I think you need to shoot higher than top third for any biglaw gig. Top 10% should be pretty safe if your interviewing skills are decent. If your grades are below that, you'll have to rely more and more on contacts, networking, and interviewing. I have a friend (nice guy with a good personality) who is just outside the top 10%, and he doesn't have a paid gig this summer. I feel horrible because he got a callback interview with a small firm in Austin, and I ended up taking the job with that firm. I already had a job for the whole summer, and I decided to split so I could work in Austin half the summer.

BeachandRun23
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:20 am

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby BeachandRun23 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:54 am

JazzOne wrote:I think you need to shoot higher than top third for any biglaw gig. Top 10% should be pretty safe if your interviewing skills are decent. If your grades are below that, you'll have to rely more and more on contacts, networking, and interviewing. I have a friend (nice guy with a good personality) who is just outside the top 10%, and he doesn't have a paid gig this summer. I feel horrible because he got a callback interview with a small firm in Austin, and I ended up taking the job with that firm. I already had a job for the whole summer, and I decided to split so I could work in Austin half the summer.


Top 10%, really? People were saying gulc is facing desperate times and their biglaw percentage was reported at being somewhere between 25-40%.

If UT law is really 10%, I might as well go to GW, BC, BU, Fordham...etc. They probably all can place their top 10% into biglaw as well. I was under the impression that UT was significantly better than those schools.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby JazzOne » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:14 am

BeachandRun23 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:I think you need to shoot higher than top third for any biglaw gig. Top 10% should be pretty safe if your interviewing skills are decent. If your grades are below that, you'll have to rely more and more on contacts, networking, and interviewing. I have a friend (nice guy with a good personality) who is just outside the top 10%, and he doesn't have a paid gig this summer. I feel horrible because he got a callback interview with a small firm in Austin, and I ended up taking the job with that firm. I already had a job for the whole summer, and I decided to split so I could work in Austin half the summer.


Top 10%, really? People were saying gulc is facing desperate times and their biglaw percentage was reported at being somewhere between 25-40%.

If UT law is really 10%, I might as well go to GW, BC, BU, Fordham...etc. They probably all can place their top 10% into biglaw as well. I was under the impression that UT was significantly better than those schools.

I don't think anyone knows the exact statistics, but I'm on law review (top 10%), and my job search was difficult. On the other hand, I know a guy who missed law review (very outgoing personality), and he locked up a job easily. Another friend of mine missed law review, and he was offered a V20 gig.

If you think finishing within a certain percentage at any school guarantees you a job, you're mistaken about how legal hiring works. Grades get you an interview. Then it's all up to your skills as a salesman to close the deal. I'm skeptical of the stats you cited for GULC, but I have no idea what the actual numbers are, and I seriously doubt 10% of the class at Fordham is getting biglaw. I was certainly misinformed and unprepared for the fact that legal hiring is not a meritocracy. It's not like LS admissions where you could tell me your law school's rank and your GPA and I could predict which firms would offer you a position. It doesn't work like that at all.

Asking what percentage of a class is getting biglaw is missing the point to a certain extent. I understand you need to compare schools, but how can you rely on the statistics you're being told? It's largely anecdotal, and the stats from the schools are mostly nonsense because of the response rates. I'm not going to BS you. It's fucking hard to get biglaw from UT. I seriously doubt the situation is much better at any of the schools you mentioned, and it's probably a lot worse at most of them.

I wish someone had told me this as a 0L. Think carefully. This market blows, and those of us with biglaw jobs are damn lucky. I read someone post the other day that he was top third at a T14 with no summer job. Also, I didn't say that only 10% got biglaw at UT. I said that only the top 10% were really safe. We probably placed 20% or so. Hopefully some other 2Ls will weigh in, but I'd be surprised if I'm way off base.
Last edited by JazzOne on Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
2011Cycle
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:08 am

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby 2011Cycle » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:36 am

JazzOne,

Can you speak to 1L summer opportunities in Criminal Defense or Prosecution (paid or unpaid does not matter). Thanks

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby JazzOne » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:42 am

2011Cycle wrote:JazzOne,

Can you speak to 1L summer opportunities in Criminal Defense or Prosecution (paid or unpaid does not matter). Thanks

What I found to be true for public interest jobs is that they want to see a genuine interest in public service. My grades and credentials are pretty damn good, and I couldn't even get an interview with those folks. I have a friend on law review who worked for the state legislature, and she has some other public service experience. She had the opposite experience than I did. For her, the biglaw firms wouldn't give her a whiff, but the smaller firms, DAs, and public defenders really liked her.

1L summer jobs are rare. Since you're fine with an unpaid position, however, your chances are reasonable. We even have some fellowship opportunities, so you might pick up a small paycheck from the school if you work an unpaid public interest position. The things you need to focus on are networking and obtaining the type of experience that will send the right message on your resume. The public interest employers need to know that you're serious about that kind of work, and that you're not applying to them as a backup in case you strikeout at OCI.

I wish I could be more helpful, but I just don't have the credentials to impress public interest employers. I think they care a little less about grades and more about a sincere desire to work that type of job. Good grades never hurt anyone though.

User avatar
2011Cycle
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:08 am

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby 2011Cycle » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:50 am

JazzOne wrote:
2011Cycle wrote:JazzOne,

Can you speak to 1L summer opportunities in Criminal Defense or Prosecution (paid or unpaid does not matter). Thanks

What I found to be true for public interest jobs is that they want to see a genuine interest in public service. My grades and credentials are pretty damn good, and I couldn't even get an interview with those folks. I have a friend on law review who worked for the state legislature, and she has some other public service experience. She had the opposite experience than I did. For her, the biglaw firms wouldn't give her a whiff, but the smaller firms, DAs, and public defenders really liked her.

1L summer jobs are rare. Since you're fine with an unpaid position, however, your chances are reasonable. We even have some fellowship opportunities, so you might pick up a small paycheck from the school if you work an unpaid public interest position. The things you need to focus on are networking and obtaining the type of experience that will send the right message on your resume. The public interest employers need to know that you're serious about that kind of work, and that you're not applying to them as a backup in case you strikeout at OCI.

I wish I could be more helpful, but I just don't have the credentials to impress public interest employers. I think they care a little less about grades and more about a sincere desire to work that type of job. Good grades never hurt anyone though.


Thanks

My background consists of strong W/E in corporate finance and investment management(10+ years). However, I am entering law school open to something away from my prior W/E.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby JazzOne » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:15 am

2011Cycle wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
2011Cycle wrote:JazzOne,

Can you speak to 1L summer opportunities in Criminal Defense or Prosecution (paid or unpaid does not matter). Thanks

What I found to be true for public interest jobs is that they want to see a genuine interest in public service. My grades and credentials are pretty damn good, and I couldn't even get an interview with those folks. I have a friend on law review who worked for the state legislature, and she has some other public service experience. She had the opposite experience than I did. For her, the biglaw firms wouldn't give her a whiff, but the smaller firms, DAs, and public defenders really liked her.

1L summer jobs are rare. Since you're fine with an unpaid position, however, your chances are reasonable. We even have some fellowship opportunities, so you might pick up a small paycheck from the school if you work an unpaid public interest position. The things you need to focus on are networking and obtaining the type of experience that will send the right message on your resume. The public interest employers need to know that you're serious about that kind of work, and that you're not applying to them as a backup in case you strikeout at OCI.

I wish I could be more helpful, but I just don't have the credentials to impress public interest employers. I think they care a little less about grades and more about a sincere desire to work that type of job. Good grades never hurt anyone though.


Thanks

My background consists of strong W/E in corporate finance and investment management(10+ years). However, I am entering law school open to something away from my prior W/E.

That WE is going to be a red flag to PI employers. Can you do any volunteer work or look for internships prior to LS? I did an internships with a state judge in my hometown, and that came up often during my on-campus interviews.

User avatar
2011Cycle
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:08 am

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby 2011Cycle » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:29 am

JazzOne wrote:
2011Cycle wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
2011Cycle wrote:JazzOne,

Can you speak to 1L summer opportunities in Criminal Defense or Prosecution (paid or unpaid does not matter). Thanks

What I found to be true for public interest jobs is that they want to see a genuine interest in public service. My grades and credentials are pretty damn good, and I couldn't even get an interview with those folks. I have a friend on law review who worked for the state legislature, and she has some other public service experience. She had the opposite experience than I did. For her, the biglaw firms wouldn't give her a whiff, but the smaller firms, DAs, and public defenders really liked her.

1L summer jobs are rare. Since you're fine with an unpaid position, however, your chances are reasonable. We even have some fellowship opportunities, so you might pick up a small paycheck from the school if you work an unpaid public interest position. The things you need to focus on are networking and obtaining the type of experience that will send the right message on your resume. The public interest employers need to know that you're serious about that kind of work, and that you're not applying to them as a backup in case you strikeout at OCI.

I wish I could be more helpful, but I just don't have the credentials to impress public interest employers. I think they care a little less about grades and more about a sincere desire to work that type of job. Good grades never hurt anyone though.


Thanks

My background consists of strong W/E in corporate finance and investment management(10+ years). However, I am entering law school open to something away from my prior W/E.

That WE is going to be a red flag to PI employers. Can you do any volunteer work or look for internships prior to LS? I did an internships with a state judge in my hometown, and that came up often during my on-campus interviews.


Got it. My current work schedule does not allow time for volunteering. Thanks

BeachandRun23
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:20 am

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby BeachandRun23 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:05 am

JazzOne wrote:I don't think anyone knows the exact statistics, but I'm on law review (top 10%), and my job search was difficult. On the other hand, I know a guy who missed law review (very outgoing personality), and he locked up a job easily. Another friend of mine missed law review, and he was offered a V20 gig.

If you think finishing within a certain percentage at any school guarantees you a job, you're mistaken about how legal hiring works. Grades get you an interview. Then it's all up to your skills as a salesman to close the deal. I'm skeptical of the stats you cited for GULC, but I have no idea what the actual numbers are, and I seriously doubt 10% of the class at Fordham is getting biglaw. I was certainly misinformed and unprepared for the fact that legal hiring is not a meritocracy. It's not like LS admissions where you could tell me your law school's rank and your GPA and I could predict which firms would offer you a position. It doesn't work like that at all.

Asking what percentage of a class is getting biglaw is missing the point to a certain extent. I understand you need to compare schools, but how can you rely on the statistics you're being told? It's largely anecdotal, and the stats from the schools are mostly nonsense because of the response rates. I'm not going to BS you. It's fucking hard to get biglaw from UT. I seriously doubt the situation is much better at any of the schools you mentioned, and it's probably a lot worse at most of them.

I wish someone had told me this as a 0L. Think carefully. This market blows, and those of us with biglaw jobs are damn lucky. I read someone post the other day that he was top third at a T14 with no summer job. Also, I didn't say that only 10% got biglaw at UT. I said that only the top 10% were really safe. We probably placed 20% or so. Hopefully some other 2Ls will weigh in, but I'd be surprised if I'm way off base.


Thanks for the post. That helped explain alot. So in retrospect, you dont think UT is that much worse than other low T14's/VANDY and UCLA, youre just saying that its tough everywhere. Correct?

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby JazzOne » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:15 am

2011Cycle wrote:Got it. My current work schedule does not allow time for volunteering. Thanks

No problem. I was teaching high school for a few years before law school, so I had the summer off before 1L. That gave me the luxury of doing an internship at the courthouse and starting to familiarize myself with the vocabulary and processes of the profession. Good luck to you.

User avatar
2011Cycle
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:08 am

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby 2011Cycle » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:49 am

Are practice exams for 1L courses readily available in the library, directly from professors, or other sources? Thanks

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Postby de5igual » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:01 pm

2011Cycle wrote:Are practice exams for 1L courses readily available in the library, directly from professors, or other sources? Thanks


They're available for download on the library's website for the past 10 or so years' worth. Beyond that, there's an archive in the library. Some professors don't provide past exams, though. In fact, one of my profs made us buy her sample exams.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chill_Out and 3 guests