Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
japes

Bronze

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Post by japes » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:52 pm

the_phoenix612 wrote:This may be a silly question, and may have already been answered, but how do Aggies fare at UT? It's my safety school and before I got my LSAT was my target, and I'm only a little bit concerned how I'll be treated walking around in maroon. Because, y'know, I'm going to wear my 24-17 shirt every week and yadda yadda. No, I kid. Mostly. But if y'all keep sucking, things will get interesting.
Miki?

--

I dated an aggie while an undergrad at UT. The only people who commented on it were alums and aggies. You'll be fine. For the most part I get the feeling the rivalry with TAMU is really one-sided these days: Texas students just don't seem to care. The grad students I'd imagine would care even less.

And I think most UT students know that TAMU is going to be the better football team for at least this year. Personally, I'd take y'all over OU any day.

the_phoenix612

Bronze

Post by the_phoenix612 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:04 pm

japes wrote:
Miki?

--

I dated an aggie while an undergrad at UT. The only people who commented on it were alums and aggies. You'll be fine. For the most part I get the feeling the rivalry with TAMU is really one-sided these days: Texas students just don't seem to care. The grad students I'd imagine would care even less.

And I think most UT students know that TAMU is going to be the better football team for at least this year. Personally, I'd take y'all over OU any day.
If you're asking if my name is Miki, the answer is no. And thanks, that's good to know.

japes

Bronze

Post by japes » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:18 pm

the_phoenix612 wrote:
japes wrote:
Miki?

--

If you're asking if my name is Miki, the answer is no. And thanks, that's good to know.
Ah. Well, then, you won't be the only aggie coming to UT this fall.

Pricer

Silver

Post by Pricer » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:43 am

Does anyone know if there are civil law classes offered at UT? I ask this because I am interested in NOLA if I can find a better job there than in Texas. I actually have a connection to a boutique firm there, but I went through every attorney profile, and all but one went to Tulane, LSU, or Loyola (the odd man out went to Oklahoma but went to LSU undergrad). I think it would be interesting and possibly helpful if I could take a civil law class sometime as a 2L or 3L.

smithc2011

New

Post by smithc2011 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:29 pm

Pricer wrote:Does anyone know if there are civil law classes offered at UT? I ask this because I am interested in NOLA if I can find a better job there than in Texas. I actually have a connection to a boutique firm there, but I went through every attorney profile, and all but one went to Tulane, LSU, or Loyola (the odd man out went to Oklahoma but went to LSU undergrad). I think it would be interesting and possibly helpful if I could take a civil law class sometime as a 2L or 3L.
If not, you might contact the registrar about the possibility of being a visiting student at Tulane (or somewhere else in LA) for a (1L) summer, semester, or year, if you're serious about NOLA. If you're particularly interested in civil law, you'd undoubtedly get a better grasp of it in Louisiana.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pricer

Silver

Post by Pricer » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:48 pm

smithc2011 wrote:
Pricer wrote:Does anyone know if there are civil law classes offered at UT? I ask this because I am interested in NOLA if I can find a better job there than in Texas. I actually have a connection to a boutique firm there, but I went through every attorney profile, and all but one went to Tulane, LSU, or Loyola (the odd man out went to Oklahoma but went to LSU undergrad). I think it would be interesting and possibly helpful if I could take a civil law class sometime as a 2L or 3L.
If not, you might contact the registrar about the possibility of being a visiting student at Tulane (or somewhere else in LA) for a (1L) summer, semester, or year, if you're serious about NOLA. If you're particularly interested in civil law, you'd undoubtedly get a better grasp of it in Louisiana.
I'm not that serious about it, but this firm is one of my very few connections. Thanks for the suggestion, though. A summer class after 1L might not be that bad of an idea if I could work it out.

BeachedBrit

Bronze

Post by BeachedBrit » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:22 pm

Anyone have any suggestions for the following (trying to get all of these things lined up before classes start, if you have recommendations of a place not to go then that works too):

- A good general physician/doctor

- A good dentist

- Cable/Internet

- Grocery store fairly near the LS with decent prices/quality

- Non-Dealership mechanic that works on german cars

japes

Bronze

Post by japes » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:04 pm

We just got class schedules... Any thoughts on Hansen, Steiker, Shoked, or Sween?

awilson11

Bronze

Post by awilson11 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:19 pm

japes wrote:We just got class schedules... Any thoughts on Hansen, Steiker, Shoked, or Sween?
4D?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:28 pm

japes wrote:We just got class schedules... Any thoughts on Hansen, Steiker, Shoked, or Sween?
I liked Steiker a lot, but be prepared to be confused in class. Go buy Chemerinsky now. (Just noticed there is a 4th edition out. I used the 3rd edition last year and that was mostly up to date, but you might want to splurge on the 4th edition just to be on the safe side since con law stuff is changing a lot.)

japes

Bronze

Post by japes » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:12 pm

awilson11 wrote:
4D?
Yup!!

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:31 pm

BeachedBrit wrote:Anyone have any suggestions for the following (trying to get all of these things lined up before classes start, if you have recommendations of a place not to go then that works too):

- A good general physician/doctor

- A good dentist

- Cable/Internet

- Grocery store fairly near the LS with decent prices/quality

- Non-Dealership mechanic that works on german cars
doctor — no clue. haven't seen one

dentist — dr karla frazier- nice lady; accepts the UT student discount plan (one of only a handful in the city)

cable/internet — tossup between time warner and u-verse. they probably cost the same and customer service is equally as bad at either

grocery store — HEB

non-dealership mechanic — i used black forest werkshop last time when my waterpump and coolant tank exploded. they're pricey (relative to stealerships in major cities) but a bargain compared to bmw of austin (which has a monopoly in central texas)

andresmtz147

New

Post by andresmtz147 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:07 pm

Howdy,

I am applying to UT law this fall, taking the LSAT in OCT to make the early admissions deadline.
I have taken the LSAT before (mere 148, no formal training though). I ordered some prep books KAPLAN, and POWERSCORE, and will intensely study once I get them in about two weeks up to the exam date.

I have a BBA in FINC and MGMT from Texas A&M 2010, graduated with 3.38 GPR (3.51 LSAC GPA).
Currently halfway through my MBA at UT Pan American, 4.0 GPA. Will graduate in May 2012.

I want to know if I'm a good candidate for this school, its my top choice. I aim to score in the 160s range this time around. I am aware UT averages its scores so I will have to do really well this time.

I have leadership experience (organizations and comm service) and work experience (mostly real estate).

Need advice from current UT Law students.

Thanks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:38 am

So it's me again, asking questions that only have vicarious connections with UT.

I missed the priority deadline for buying Student Season tickets in the original law school group (obviously) but am still wondering if it's worth it to buy them now. I guess my question is, will I be paying $70 to sit alone for 5 hours every game or is it usual to move around the section to sit with people you know?

CMDantes

Bronze

Post by CMDantes » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:26 pm

lisjen - don't get the tickets. Come watch the games at a bar with me.

japes

Bronze

Post by japes » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:34 pm

What do you guys think of Sager stepping down at the end of the year?

japes

Bronze

Post by japes » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:49 pm

Hey, any 2Ls and 3Ls have any input on Perry for conlaw? Our group found out today that he will now be our conlaw prof for the rest of the semester.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:17 pm

japes wrote:What do you guys think of Sager stepping down at the end of the year?
Wait, what? Must 3Litis. I didn't know about this.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:17 pm

CMDantes wrote:lisjen - don't get the tickets. Come watch the games at a bar with me.
I'll join you guys at the bar. Screw standing for hours in the sun. The team isn't very impressive anyway.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:22 pm

andresmtz147 wrote:Howdy,

I am applying to UT law this fall, taking the LSAT in OCT to make the early admissions deadline.
I have taken the LSAT before (mere 148, no formal training though). I ordered some prep books KAPLAN, and POWERSCORE, and will intensely study once I get them in about two weeks up to the exam date.

I have a BBA in FINC and MGMT from Texas A&M 2010, graduated with 3.38 GPR (3.51 LSAC GPA).
Currently halfway through my MBA at UT Pan American, 4.0 GPA. Will graduate in May 2012.

I want to know if I'm a good candidate for this school, its my top choice. I aim to score in the 160s range this time around. I am aware UT averages its scores so I will have to do really well this time.

I have leadership experience (organizations and comm service) and work experience (mostly real estate).

Need advice from current UT Law students.

Thanks.
What makes you think UT averages scores? My opinion was contrary, and I'd like to know if you have a superior source.

Your grad school GPA will not be factored in. Your GPA is near the lower end of the range for UT acceptances, so I'm guessing you're going to need a MUCH better LSAT score (something like 169+ unless you're URM).

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:41 pm

Not sure if anyone is still following this thread, but I need a sublet for the summer in Austin. PM me if you're instead.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”