Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
philosoraptor

Silver

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Post by philosoraptor » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:24 pm

akili wrote:I'm a resident and hoping to attend next year. Does my resident status give me any sort of boost? I know about the 65/35 quota, but I'm wondering if it could actually give me a leg up. Also, would visiting be helpful?
I wouldn't look at it as a leg up. I'd look at it as avoiding the extra competition (fewer spots) in the out-of-state pool. You'll still need the right numbers and a solid supporting application.

Definitely visit if you get the chance. I'd never been to Austin before being admitted, but the trip to ASW sold me on UT.

JerrySeinfeld

Bronze

Post by JerrySeinfeld » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:51 pm

What type of disadvantage, socially and in terms of admittance, does someone not from Texas have?

Also, how do you feel the job prospects are looking/ what's the general feeling around the UT about you're prospects in a year or two?

Where do you believe you need to rank to get Texas BigLaw?

Thanks!

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:54 pm

JerrySeinfeld wrote:What type of disadvantage, socially and in terms of admittance, does someone not from Texas have?
Socially, none. It's hard not to feel like a Texan once you get here. The sense of community is strong regardless of where you're from or where you plan to practice afterward. For admissions, it's as I said earlier: You're competing for fewer spots in the out-of-state pool, so in that sense it's a little harder to stand out. For what it's worth, my numbers were both slightly below median, so it's possible to impress the adcomms in other ways, even if you're an out-of-state white guy.
JerrySeinfeld wrote:Also, how do you feel the job prospects are looking/ what's the general feeling around the UT about you're prospects in a year or two?
As you've probably read many times on TLS, the class of 2013 overall is optimistic. We have no reason to panic yet and every reason to expect things to get better from here on out. Texas's economy has weathered the recession well, and that should be reflected in the legal market. Of course it's not going to be easy, but I'm feeling good about our collective prospects.
JerrySeinfeld wrote:Where do you believe you need to rank to get Texas BigLaw?
Not sure. We don't really have ranks, just GPAs and a published average. I won't start thinking seriously about specific careers until I have some sense of my grades. Perhaps someone who has done some research can help Jerry out with this question?

JerrySeinfeld

Bronze

Post by JerrySeinfeld » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:02 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
JerrySeinfeld wrote:What type of disadvantage, socially and in terms of admittance, does someone not from Texas have?
Socially, none. It's hard not to feel like a Texan once you get here. The sense of community is strong regardless of where you're from or where you plan to practice afterward. For admissions, it's as I said earlier: You're competing for fewer spots in the out-of-state pool, so in that sense it's a little harder to stand out. For what it's worth, my numbers were both slightly below median, so it's possible to impress the adcomms in other ways, even if you're an out-of-state white guy.
JerrySeinfeld wrote:Also, how do you feel the job prospects are looking/ what's the general feeling around the UT about you're prospects in a year or two?
As you've probably read many times on TLS, the class of 2013 overall is optimistic. We have no reason to panic yet and every reason to expect things to get better from here on out. Texas's economy has weathered the recession well, and that should be reflected in the legal market. Of course it's not going to be easy, but I'm feeling good about our collective prospects.
JerrySeinfeld wrote:Where do you believe you need to rank to get Texas BigLaw?
Not sure. We don't really have ranks, just GPAs and a published average. I won't start thinking seriously about specific careers until I have some sense of my grades. Perhaps someone who has done some research can help Jerry out with this question?
Do you live on campus or off and what's your rent?

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:25 pm

JerrySeinfeld wrote:Do you live on campus or off and what's your rent?
Off campus in Hyde Park, a couple miles north of the law school. Rent varies a ton in that area, but I share a decent 2BR/2BA apartment for between $1,000 and $1,200/month.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JerrySeinfeld

Bronze

Post by JerrySeinfeld » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:30 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
Off campus in Hyde Park, a couple miles north of the law school. Rent varies a ton in that area, but I share a decent 2BR/2BA apartment for between $1,000 and $1,200/month.
$1,000-$1,200 combined or per person?

Also, what have been the best parts of UT and the worst so far?

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:33 pm

How well does UT place outside of Texas? Would it be a bad idea to consider Texas if you're set on NY/DC?

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:33 pm

How well does UT place outside of Texas? Would it be a bad idea to consider Texas if you're set on NY/DC?

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:36 pm

JerrySeinfeld wrote:
philosoraptor wrote:
$1,000-$1,200 combined or per person?

Also, what have been the best parts of UT and the worst so far?
Hyde Park has higher rent then the vast majority of other neighborhoods. However, it is a very nice neighborhood and adjacent to the University. If you are looking for decent areas with lower rent check out: Rosedale, Oldenfield, and Crestview. Brykerwood and Alandale are also nice areas. Most likely that is combined... 2,000 for a 2bedroom apartment is outrageously overpriced.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JerrySeinfeld

Bronze

Post by JerrySeinfeld » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:42 pm

This might seem like an odd question, but what are some other colleges near by UT (within 15 miles). I have a significant other who would come with me and wants to go to grad school. However, she probably cannot get in UT, so that's where the question derives from.

txgirl1229

New

Post by txgirl1229 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:55 pm

Ildeuce wrote:How well does UT place outside of Texas? Would it be a bad idea to consider Texas if you're set on NY/DC?
I'm a 2L at UT, and I know a lot of people (mostly law review people) who have jobs in NY/DC for the summer, but obviously less firms from NY/DC (and very few medium sized or smaller firms) will come to OCI than would at Georgetown or NYU, etc.. It is definitely possible to land jobs in those markets, and I think that the employers there who have hired from UT have been happy with the results and will continue to hire UT students with good credentials. However, just from the perspective of the number of firms who come to OCI, there will be less than would come to a school geographically closer to those markets, so you might have to mass mail more and be more proactive (obviously depending on GPA/class rank).

I don't think its a bad idea to consider UT, but you will need to take geographical location into account when looking at your other options.

txgirl1229

New

Post by txgirl1229 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:02 pm

Also, how do you feel the job prospects are looking/ what's the general feeling around the UT about you're prospects in a year or two?

Where do you believe you need to rank to get Texas BigLaw?

Thanks!

Again, I am a 2L, and from going through OCI this year, I got the impression that not many people outside of the top 25% were getting Big Law callbacks/offers. The market is still very tight, and firms are hiring less SA's all around. People with good interviewing skills in the top 10% had no problem getting 10+ callbacks, but people with good credentials (top 25%, other journal besides LR) were not faring as well. They might get ~5 callbacks, with only a few of those being firms that paid market.

This is completely anecdotal and varies a lot w/ interviewing skills and target markets, so take it with a grain of salt. I only know about my job experience and my friends that were willing to share their experiences with me, and then the general impression that I got from talk around the law school. Also, you end up going to a million receptions/dinners for firms and start seeing the same people everywhere, so you get an idea of who is getting the callbacks and who isn't.

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:49 pm

JerrySeinfeld wrote:This might seem like an odd question, but what are some other colleges near by UT (within 15 miles). I have a significant other who would come with me and wants to go to grad school. However, she probably cannot get in UT, so that's where the question derives from.
Texas State is in San Marcos which is about a 30m drive from Austin. A ton of people live in Austin and commute there. Texas State also operates a bus network to and from Austin so if she doesn't have transportation that is always an option. Other then that, there is St. Edwards which has very nice campus in south Austin, which is a private catholic school but is well respected academically.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:25 pm

JerrySeinfeld wrote:$1,000-$1,200 combined or per person?
Combined.
JerrySeinfeld wrote:Also, what have been the best parts of UT and the worst so far?
It's tough to separate the good and bad about law school in general from the good and bad about UT specifically. But I'll try. In no particular order, the best things so far have been the extraordinary faculty we get to learn from, the near-perfect weather, the endlessness of things to do in Austin, the camaraderie of my section, and the overall atmosphere of the university (school spirit, strong sports culture, etc.). The worst things have been the absolutely idiotic placement of our lockers, the constant construction in the library, and the extra LRW this year (including Friday morning class :x ).

adrib

Bronze

Post by adrib » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:19 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
JerrySeinfeld wrote:$1,000-$1,200 combined or per person?
Combined.
JerrySeinfeld wrote:Also, what have been the best parts of UT and the worst so far?
It's tough to separate the good and bad about law school in general from the good and bad about UT specifically. But I'll try. In no particular order, the best things so far have been the extraordinary faculty we get to learn from, the near-perfect weather, the endlessness of things to do in Austin, the camaraderie of my section, and the overall atmosphere of the university (school spirit, strong sports culture, etc.). The worst things have been the absolutely idiotic placement of our lockers, the constant construction in the library, and the extra LRW this year (including Friday morning class :x ).
I agree wholeheartedly with the above; really and truly, once the construction is over, I don't think i'll have any complaints! The Friday LRW sucks, but i guess it's only because I went in expecting not to have class on Fridays. It makes it easier that my friends at other schools suffer on Fridays with us! My locker is in a good spot, though, so maybe it contributes more to my happiness than I thought it did.

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:33 pm

adrib wrote:My locker is in a good spot, though, so maybe it contributes more to my happiness than I thought it did.
Seriously, be thankful for this. Mine's in the worst place ever: bottom row, right-hand corner in one of those tiny rooms. There's always a line just to get into the room, and I know one of these days they'll find me unconscious on the floor after I hit my head on one above mine. Make sure, future Longhorns, that you put down an extra $20 for one with a key.

mcflooter06

Bronze

Post by mcflooter06 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:11 pm

Well this is where all the 1Ls went! Hiii guys! I feel like I haven't met many TLSers because apparently no one got put in my section. :(

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bmontminy

Bronze

Post by bmontminy » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:04 am

haha i have 2 other TLSers that i know of in my small section. 1A's fball skills may be lacking, but AT LEAST once a week someone brings bakes goods to torts class...I may or may not take more than my fair share every time too :lol:

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:17 am

Ernest Smith, one of the school's most venerable and baller profs, brought all of section 3 chocolate-chip cookies to teach us future interests. That was some serious win.

adrib

Bronze

Post by adrib » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:10 am

bmontminy wrote:haha i have 2 other TLSers that i know of in my small section. 1A's fball skills may be lacking, but AT LEAST once a week someone brings bakes goods to torts class...I may or may not take more than my fair share every time too :lol:
i need to start bringing cookies, too--shame on my freeloading! flooter, which section did you end up in?

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:12 am

It's about that time of year when people start losing focus and energy. Don't do it. Remember, you're a lot closer to unemployment than you think! Stay on top of those grades, and start making connections where you'd like to work.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mcflooter06

Bronze

Post by mcflooter06 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:19 pm

adrib wrote:
bmontminy wrote:haha i have 2 other TLSers that i know of in my small section. 1A's fball skills may be lacking, but AT LEAST once a week someone brings bakes goods to torts class...I may or may not take more than my fair share every time too :lol:
i need to start bringing cookies, too--shame on my freeloading! flooter, which section did you end up in?
I'm in 4C, away from everyone apparently, lol. I do have a couple of TLSers in my big section, but I lost everyone else, I suppose.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:25 pm

philosoraptor wrote:Having spent a mere few weeks in this lovely state, I am officially an expert on UT and Austin. Happy to answer questions about anything except our football team's temporary lack of skill.
Can you explain to me what the hell happened today? I was studiously poring over citations in the library, whilst I hear that our football team has lost again? What say you?

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:17 pm

JazzOne wrote:
philosoraptor wrote:Having spent a mere few weeks in this lovely state, I am officially an expert on UT and Austin. Happy to answer questions about anything except our football team's temporary lack of skill.
Can you explain to me what the hell happened today? I was studiously poring over citations in the library, whilst I hear that our football team has lost again? What say you?
Since you, good sir, are a respected TLSer and UT upperclassman, I suppose I will make an exception to my above-stated policy.

What happened was this: Garrett Gilbert, a certified moron who gets no help from his lethargic and uncreative coaching staff, threw three critical interceptions that prevented himself and his Longhorn brethren from crossing the goal line. Four other passes, at least two of which were thrown directly to opposing defensive backs, would have been intercepted by any other FBS team.

His confidence thus destroyed, Gilbert's laudable attempt to lead a comeback from a three-touchdown deficit, though it at times approached what might be called heroism, was too little and too late. A sack deep in his own territory with a minute remaining squashed unceremoniously any real chance at a last-second score.

We wretched souls in the crowd were flabbergasted by the apparent inability of Mack Brown and his minions to adjust to what, to us, were obvious deficiencies in play-calling. Too often, a quick dump-off pass to a slot receiver on (or behind) the line with no blocking help and no clear running lanes would lose yardage and grind to a halt an otherwise promising drive. Too often, the young Mr. Gilbert would close his eyes and loft the ball into the corner of the end zone, when it was apparent throughout the contest that Iowa State was able to anticipate every route that might lead to that ball's being caught. Too often, the quarterback would get the green light to heave a pass to a wideout streaking along the sideline; invariably, such a pass would be underthrown.

The decision-makers seem to have nary a clue how to run an offense that cannot rely on Colt McCoy's dual-threat ability and his dependable connection with Jordan Shipley. We can only hope they figure it out before the season ends with the loss column outweighing the win.

And the defense? With so many turnovers and the offense's failure to sustain long drives, our valiant defenders tired quickly. Pure talent can last only so long against excited opponents who possess the ball well beyond their fair share.

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:34 pm

Hey, I'm an applicant this year; thanks for answering questions!

Roughly what percentage of the class get jobs that pay market? Also, in addition to the law library, is the law school planning any other renovations? Thanks

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”