Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
japes

Bronze

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Post by japes » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:56 pm

lisjjen wrote:
Pricer wrote:From another thread:

nonprofit-prophet wrote:Does anyone know if we get any swag after all the deposits are in? I think a friend told me a while back that they sent him a hat, but my memory is fuzzy

Anyone know anything about this? Most schools send stickers, shirts, etc., but I haven't heard anything for UT.
Found this for class of '13.
adrib wrote:did you guys already get your sweet swag for sending in your deposit? I got a burnt orange bandana that says UT Law Class of 2013, a notepad thing with the same thing, and some OMG AWESOME dark chocolate made locally. Honestly, even if UT hadn't been my first choice, the chocolate would have won me over.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0R0BlISqro

Pricer

Silver

Post by Pricer » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:36 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
lisjjen wrote:
Pricer wrote:From another thread:

nonprofit-prophet wrote:Does anyone know if we get any swag after all the deposits are in? I think a friend told me a while back that they sent him a hat, but my memory is fuzzy

Anyone know anything about this? Most schools send stickers, shirts, etc., but I haven't heard anything for UT.
Found this for class of '13.
adrib wrote:did you guys already get your sweet swag for sending in your deposit? I got a burnt orange bandana that says UT Law Class of 2013, a notepad thing with the same thing, and some OMG AWESOME dark chocolate made locally. Honestly, even if UT hadn't been my first choice, the chocolate would have won me over.

Awesome find! What was the date on that post?
What am I going to do with a bandanna, a notepad, and dark chocolate? I don't even eat dark chocolate. I was hoping for a hat or a t-shirt, or at least a sticker for my car.

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:57 pm

My bandana is goin on my future dog, chocolate will be eaten within an hour of getting it, and the notepad...er... i guess write down random stuff. Who uses notepads anymore? Laptops ftw

CMDantes

Bronze

Post by CMDantes » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:01 pm

I am eagerly awaiting my swag. Where is it?!

Leira7905

Bronze

Post by Leira7905 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:11 pm

CMDantes wrote:I am eagerly awaiting my swag. Where is it?!
+1 They could send me a UT oven mitt and I'd be happy :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:43 pm

Last year there was a car sticker in the swag packet.

CMDantes

Bronze

Post by CMDantes » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:51 pm

philosoraptor wrote:Last year there was a car sticker in the swag packet.
WANT.

juliachild-ish

Bronze

Post by juliachild-ish » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:17 pm

Pricer wrote:What am I going to do with a bandanna, a notepad, and dark chocolate? I don't even eat dark chocolate. I was hoping for a hat or a t-shirt, or at least a sticker for my car.
I am saddened by your distaste for dark chocolate...please mail it to me!

japes

Bronze

Post by japes » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:32 pm

juliachild-ish wrote:
Pricer wrote:What am I going to do with a bandanna, a notepad, and dark chocolate? I don't even eat dark chocolate. I was hoping for a hat or a t-shirt, or at least a sticker for my car.
Judging by your avatar I'd be worried about health risks. I'll take any extra chocolate.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:34 pm

Do you remember when you received the swag packet last year?

Cade McNown

Silver

Post by Cade McNown » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:46 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
lisjjen wrote:Also, what are the upper limits on rent that you can afford with the student loans they allot?
Depends how much ya eat, since they estimate room and board together. If you want 4k for food for the year, you should keep your apt under 550.
Revisiting this. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the estimated costs are 9 month estimates, not year-long estimates, as they are meant to cover only the time spent as a student (not summer months also). UT estimates $10,422 for Room and Board. Across 9 months for me I'm estimating $3500 in food, so that leaves $6922/9 = $770/month for rent/utilities. Of course this is complicated by the fact that most realtors will expect you to sign a 12 month lease, but (fingers crossed) we should have summer 2012 income right...

Also, I've heard that utilities run high in Austin. Can someone confirm this?

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:21 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Shortly after they received my letter of intent.

Pricer

Silver

Post by Pricer » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:25 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
That's no good, I won't be sending that in until June.

japes wrote:
juliachild-ish wrote:
Judging by your avatar I'd be worried about health risks. I'll take any extra chocolate.
Ha I'll probably give it to a girl and tell her I bought it for her.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

keayts

New

Post by keayts » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:09 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
lisjjen wrote:Also, what are the upper limits on rent that you can afford with the student loans they allot?
Depends how much ya eat, since they estimate room and board together. If you want 4k for food for the year, you should keep your apt under 550.
Revisiting this. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the estimated costs are 9 month estimates, not year-long estimates, as they are meant to cover only the time spent as a student (not summer months also). UT estimates $10,422 for Room and Board. Across 9 months for me I'm estimating $3500 in food, so that leaves $6922/9 = $770/month for rent/utilities. Of course this is complicated by the fact that most realtors will expect you to sign a 12 month lease, but (fingers crossed) we should have summer 2012 income right...

Also, I've heard that utilities run high in Austin. Can someone confirm this?
I think you're right on that point. I recall financial aid making loans available during the summer for students who need them, and such loans would go beyond the budget provided-for in the cost estimate.

Utility costs? Water + electricity for my efficiency apartment varies between $30 to $100 per month, with higher costs occurring during the winter and the summer. I live in an older unit, so costs may be lower for newer units with better insulation.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:52 pm

Pricer wrote:
philosoraptor wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
That's no good, I won't be sending that in until June.

japes wrote:
juliachild-ish wrote:
Ha I'll probably give it to a girl and tell her I bought it for her.
wow no windshield sticker? they went cheap this year. they hand out a UT Law t-shirt during orientation along with your society t-shirt.

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:02 pm

f0bolous wrote:wow no windshield sticker? they went cheap this year. they hand out a UT Law t-shirt during orientation along with your society t-shirt.
This is all, of course, hypothetical. No one can say what will be in the swag bag until we get it this summer.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:09 pm

lisjjen wrote:
f0bolous wrote:wow no windshield sticker? they went cheap this year. they hand out a UT Law t-shirt during orientation along with your society t-shirt.
This is all, of course, hypothetical. No one can say what will be in the swag bag until we get it this summer.
ah ok. i was too lazy to actually read all the posts.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

adrib

Bronze

Post by adrib » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:22 pm

phooey on whoever didn't think the swag was totally awesome. reading that old posts reminds me, i should totally find out where that chocolate came from...

Pricer

Silver

Post by Pricer » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:11 am

How exactly does LR work? I've read that some people grade on and some write on, but I've also read it is a combination of the two. Can anyone cast light on what it takes to become a member of LR?

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:27 am

Pricer wrote:How exactly does LR work? I've read that some people grade on and some write on, but I've also read it is a combination of the two. Can anyone cast light on what it takes to become a member of LR?
A friend of mine is on law review and told me that they consider grades and the writing sample, but he said you'd have to basically be the worst writer in history to get top 10% and not get onto LR.

Pricer

Silver

Post by Pricer » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:33 am

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Pricer wrote:How exactly does LR work? I've read that some people grade on and some write on, but I've also read it is a combination of the two. Can anyone cast light on what it takes to become a member of LR?
A friend of mine is on law review and told me that they consider grades and the writing sample, but he said you'd have to basically be the worst writer in history to get top 10% and not get onto LR.
Thanks. I'd love to be on LR, but I would expect myself to be much closer to median than top 10%. I'll probably do a secondary journal in my field of interest if that opportunity is available to me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

japes

Bronze

Post by japes » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:19 am

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Is that indicative of a grade-heavy scale, or is it possible to write on with lower grades?

CMDantes

Bronze

Post by CMDantes » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:35 am

Got my swag bag - aforementioned chocolate (delicious!), car sticker, and USB drive.

I'm pretty happy with it.

Leira7905

Bronze

Post by Leira7905 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:38 am

CMDantes wrote:Got my swag bag - aforementioned chocolate (delicious!), car sticker, and USB drive.

I'm pretty happy with it.
When did you get it? yesterday?

CMDantes

Bronze

Post by CMDantes » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:57 am

Yeah it was in the mail yesterday. I live in Austin though so I'm probably among the first.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”