Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
spacepenguin

Silver

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Post by spacepenguin » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:54 pm

JazzOne wrote:
akili wrote:
JazzOne wrote:I prefer Taco Deli. I got Torchy's during law review one weekend, and it was cold by the time I got mine. Hated it. I'll give it another shot though.
Their queso/guac alone is worth it. ....And now I'm hungry.
I'm from El Paso, so I'm kind of a queso/guac snob. Tex Mex just isn't the same as real Mexican food. I'll report back about Torchy's after lunch.
Dude, fellow El Pasoan here...Torchy's is still incredible.

niederbomb

Silver

Post by niederbomb » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:07 pm

Sorry, another quick "choosing a law school" question, sorry to interrupt the taco conversation. :wink:

What is UT's matching policy with schools like Vanderbilt for in-state residents? Because we pay lower tuition as it is.

Say, for example, an IS resident gets $29,000 at UT and $60,000 at Vanderbilt. Would UT match the $60,000? Thanks.

spacepenguin

Silver

Post by spacepenguin » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:25 pm

niederbomb wrote:Sorry, another quick "choosing a law school" question, sorry to interrupt the taco conversation. :wink:

What is UT's matching policy with schools like Vanderbilt for in-state residents? Because we pay lower tuition as it is.

Say, for example, an IS resident gets $29,000 at UT and $60,000 at Vanderbilt. Would UT match the $60,000? Thanks.

I really don't know the answer, but my guess would be no.

Effectively, with in-state tuition, your total UT award is roughly 59K

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:25 pm

niederbomb wrote:Sorry, another quick "choosing a law school" question, sorry to interrupt the taco conversation. :wink:

No one is going to be able to tell you exactly how the matching program works. They don't disclose their exact methods. But I doubt they would match competing offers on a dollar for dollar basis. It's likely (IMO) that they take into account the difference between the relevant costs of attendance. So they might match your scholarship to the point where your COA at UT matches your COA at a peer school. That's all speculative of course. Send in your offers when the time is right, and see what happens.

ETA: I couldn't convince the SO to get Torchy's today, but I'm persistent. I'll have a report by tomorrow.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:24 pm

re: Torchy's

The Brushfire (jerk chicken with chunks of mango, cilantro, and onions with spicy sauce) and the Baja Shrimp are excellent.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:27 pm

Marionberry wrote:re: Torchy's

The Brushfire (jerk chicken with chunks of mango, cilantro, and onions with spicy sauce) and the Baja Shrimp are excellent.
I like the Fried Avocado a lot! (make sure you get pico de gallo in it) and the Double-Wide is mind-bogglingly awesome. Chicken fried steak, queso, bacon, cheese, and pico.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:28 pm

akili wrote:

I like the Fried Avocado a lot! (make sure you get pico de gallo in it) and the Double-Wide is mind-bogglingly awesome. Chicken fried steak, queso, bacon, cheese, and pico.
:shock:

I honestly don't think my stomach could handle that.

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:38 pm

akili wrote:

How is everyone in TX not 400lbs?

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:39 pm

lisjjen wrote:
akili wrote:

How is everyone in TX not 400lbs?
In Austin a lot of people are super athletes. Lots of boot camps, runners, hikers, TONS of bikers. There is also an extremely active triathlete community. You work it off :) (Oh and it was toootally worthy it)
Last edited by akili on Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:39 pm

lisjjen wrote:How is everyone in TX not 400lbs?
Unfortunately, it's actually a serious public health concern. I think one zipcode in East Austin has the highest rate of type 2 diabetes in the country.

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:41 pm

Marionberry wrote:
Unfortunately, it's actually a serious public health concern. I think one zipcode in East Austin has the highest rate of type 2 diabetes in the country.
I guess that's the price you pay for Wattaburger and the Salt Lick.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:43 pm

lisjjen wrote:
Marionberry wrote:
I guess that's the price you pay for Wattaburger and the Salt Lick driving everywhere and economic disadvantage.
Probably more like it.

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:45 pm

Marionberry wrote:
lisjjen wrote:
Marionberry wrote:
I guess that's the price you pay for Wattaburger and the Salt Lick driving everywhere and economic disadvantage.
Probably more like it.
This is interesting. I thought TX had a relatively robust economy right now.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:48 pm

lisjjen wrote: This is interesting. I thought TX had a relatively robust economy right now.
I think that's true, but it's still a big state with a good deal of economic disparity. It's also true that part of the culture for many, in Houston especially, is eating out and people cook their own food much less than they probably should.

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:54 pm

So now it's going to just sound like I'm messing with you. But I'm actually curious.

How does it rain in Texas? I know it gets a pretty good slug of water every year, but is it all in huge thunder storms [which I love] or does it ever just settle in and rain for a week like in Seattle?

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:01 pm

lisjjen wrote:So now it's going to just sound like I'm messing with you. But I'm actually curious.

How does it rain in Texas? I know it gets a pretty good slug of water every year, but is it all in huge thunder storms [which I love] or does it ever just settle in and rain for a week like in Seattle?
lol both. We have big storms, but we also just have rainy days/weeks. It's not too consistent, though, especially from summer to summer. One summer it will be a record drought, the next summer it will be flooding.

Hank Chill

Bronze

Post by Hank Chill » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:55 pm

When do fall classes start? I know I'm jumping the gun a little bit here. I want to get an idea of when I need to move into town.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tecumseh

New

Post by tecumseh » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:03 pm

I guess this is kind of a question...anyway, we have a visiting prof from Texas at our school right now teaching property, Daniel Rodriguez and I was wondering if a Texas student can give me access to his past property exams through this link?

--LinkRemoved--

Thanks a bunch in advance!

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:17 am

tecumseh wrote:I guess this is kind of a question...anyway, we have a visiting prof from Texas at our school right now teaching property, Daniel Rodriguez and I was wondering if a Texas student can give me access to his past property exams through this link?

--LinkRemoved--

Thanks a bunch in advance!
lol

I can't do it for you tonight, but I should have more time this weekend. I laugh because I had him for Property last year, and he gave us one hell of an arbitrary final. You should also be aware that Rodriguez is a new prof at UT, so even if I can dig up an old exam, I'm probably only going to be able to produce one or two. Anyway, PM me a reminder and I'll look into it after I get through a couple rough days. I have a paper due tomorrow and a double class due to makeup on Thursday. So, I'm pretty swamped, but I'll have more time in a couple days.

Stephanie13

Bronze

Post by Stephanie13 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:31 am

akili wrote:

Omg, I know I'm late on this topic but I LOVE the Fried Avocado, I always get that one plus a random one. But The Democrat is good. YUM, geez can't wait to be back in Texas for spring break! (Thank goodness they opened a Torchy's in Dallas!!)

adrib

Bronze

Post by adrib » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:16 am

spacepenguin wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
akili wrote:
JazzOne wrote:I prefer Taco Deli. I got Torchy's during law review one weekend, and it was cold by the time I got mine. Hated it. I'll give it another shot though.
Their queso/guac alone is worth it. ....And now I'm hungry.
I'm from El Paso, so I'm kind of a queso/guac snob. Tex Mex just isn't the same as real Mexican food. I'll report back about Torchy's after lunch.
Dude, fellow El Pasoan here...Torchy's is still incredible.
huzzah for other El Paso people at UT! <3

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Tevin

New

Post by Tevin » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:50 pm

Taco Deli > Torchy's and it's not even close!

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:31 pm

Tevin wrote:Taco Deli > Torchy's and it's not even close!
+1

I didn't even want to post my critique of Torchy's earlier this week. Not even close.

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:33 pm

To be honest, I have never eaten at Taco Deli. I do like Torchy's quite a lot...so I'm now quite excited to try Taco Deli!

Longhorn88

Bronze

Post by Longhorn88 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:31 am

Current UT undergrad, got WL with 3.4/169 but just got a 172. What do you think my chances are?

I've got really great softs but I have to keep tell myself they don't mean shit and listing them all is self-indulgent.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”