Richmond 1L taking questions...

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
dibs

Re: Richmond 1L taking questions...

Postby dibs » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:50 am

deusvult:

i don't know much about the summer session. i do know a 2L who came on summer entry, and that combined with the 5-week cambridge study abroad will allow her to graduate, if she chooses, a semester early. it also affords you 2 classes with a very small class size, which is a good or bad thing depending on your perspective with respects to the grade curve.

taxguy

the cost of living in richmond is fairly inexpensive, and i've not heard of many people paying more than $400-$500 a month for decent living. there are exceptions higher and lower, as there will be, but mort the most part you get good bang for your buck. food is fairly inexpensive as well.

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:15 am

Are you concerned that Richmond has dropped so low in the rankings? I have a hard time believing people think that Richmond is a peer school with W&M and W&L. I have quite a few friends at UR UG and it seems to have a reputation of being a 'super safety school" for UG. I have heard that DC places decently well in DC (or did before he economy tanked). I am also interested in hearing about the summer start.

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:29 am

SrLaw wrote: I have quite a few friends at UR UG and it seems to have a reputation of being a 'super safety school" for UG.

I'm from richmond, and this isn't really the case with everyone. At my high school (a not-so-great public school, so that might account for it, but maybe not) if you weren't UVA/W&M material, U of R UG was pretty coveted. VCU is richmond's stereotypical super-safety.

With regard to peer-schools, law-school-bound peers of mine don't consider Richmond a peer school of W&L/W&M, and for many (in a way, myself included) a safety school. But I applied because (a) I've heard U of R has decent placement in Richmond, and I wouldn't mind living there, and (b) my parents told me they'd let me live in their rental house in Richmond for free if I went to U of R, so COL would be tiny.

Anyways, I'm not at U of R but I thought I'd give my two cents as a Richmonder.

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:04 pm

So, I've missed a phone call from Richmond twice now. Should I call back?

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:10 pm

NCtoDC wrote:So, I've missed a phone call from Richmond twice now. Should I call back?

Yes. It's probably an acceptance.

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:12 pm

Thank you. I thought about texting Dean Rahman back Sunday night but felt that was really weird, lol. They didn't leave a message today, but it was the Richmond area code. Should I just call the admissions office?

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:15 pm

NCtoDC wrote:Thank you. I thought about texting Dean Rahman back Sunday night but felt that was really weird, lol. They didn't leave a message today, but it was the Richmond area code. Should I just call the admissions office?

Yeah, that's what I would do. Just call the admissions office tomorrow morning and tell them that she asked you to call her back.

jsimp

Postby jsimp » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:44 am

taxguy wrote:Secondly, how hard is to get admitted to the law school as far as you know for someone who isn't URM. What is the lowest LSAT you have seen at Richmond?

The Applicant Profile on the LSAC website shows that a lot of people get into Richmond with below average LSAT and GPAs. It doesn't tell you which of those applicants were URM but i doubt all low scores are URM. It seems like if you are a diverse applicant that has something different to offer than the norm you have atleast a chance to get in.

http://officialguide.lsac.org/Release/S ... AC5808.pdf

dibs

Postby dibs » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:24 pm

dean rahman puts together an exceptional class. from what i can tell, we are comprised of very accomplished people. so much so that it transcends quantification.

elvenlord21

Postby elvenlord21 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:30 pm

I am coming out to visit University of Richmond in a couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone had any advice on what i should see and do on campus and in the city. I will be in the area for a short time, so what are must-sees? What Civil War Battlefields/monuments are most worth seeing?

Thanks

dshirs32

Postby dshirs32 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:09 pm

Richmond has awesome local restaurants. I highly recommend eating at Edo's Squid. Take a drive down Monument Avenue [very historic], check out Carytown, check out the Fan area [great bars]. The UR campus is beautiful, so I definitely recommend walking around the whole campus [though, as a 1L, there really is no time to enjoy it]. The gym is also pretty exceptional.

crysmissmichelle

Postby crysmissmichelle » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:22 pm

Kitchen 64 is good for American fare right off I-95. . . If you like Indian/Pakistani try Kabob Bistro on Broad St. . . . .

Hollywood Cemetery and the Virginia Holocaust Museum are supposed to be good for tourism, but the absolute MUST SEE right now is the Picasso exhibit at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts.

Soapbox Sally

Postby Soapbox Sally » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:55 pm

If you're still out there...I have a visiting professor - Graham B. Strong - for Criminal Law this semester. Professor Strong was most recently a visiting professor at Richmond. Do you or someone else have any insights you could share? Or old exams, perhaps? Anything would be helpful.

Thank you in advance.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”