SLS 1L(s), here to chat

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
DoubleChecks

Re: SLS 1L(s), here to chat

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:00 pm

are all your professors really laid back, funny and cool? just curious :)

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:26 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:are all your professors really laid back, funny and cool? just curious :)

They're all quite different. My section's CivPro prof is a cool and calculating young guy who had been litigating the past few years. Contracts is taught by a soft socratic woman who shows some humor every once in a while. Torts is taught by a hardcore law & econ guy who is HILARIOUS (and never misses an opportunity to make fun of people and/or lead them in circles). And Crim is taught by the funniest old man in the world.

How're the Harvard profs?

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:27 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:are all your professors really laid back, funny and cool? just curious :)

Haha, no. Some sections are complaining about a few of the profs, but most seem to be relatively minor. I have one that lets folks go crazy with questions, one sort-of boring one, one sort-of intense one, and one who has us talk about our feelings just as much as we do the law. But I do like all of them a lot.

I'd say people right now are complaining about 2 things: LRW and our first journal assignments (for those of us doing a journal, which is most). We did get a nice "don't freak out" email from one of the deans on Friday though, which was helpful :)

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:31 pm

Kretzy wrote:We did get a nice "don't freak out" email from one of the deans on Friday though, which was helpful

The advice was also well-followed :D

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:41 pm

I know you don't all come from the same UG background, but how does the work so far compare to UG work (or grad level work if someone can comment)?

I am working full-time and going to grad school full-time right now. Did about the same in UG. Can I look forward to a bit more relaxing time in LS since I won't be working (much)?

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:01 am

Hey Kretzky, I remember you were studying a while back for the GMAT, and you were thinking about maybe doing the JD/MBA. Is that still your plan?

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:10 am

Knockglock wrote:Hey Kretzky, I remember you were studying a while back for the GMAT, and you were thinking about maybe doing the JD/MBA. Is that still your plan?

Studying for the GMAT/GRE has taken a backseat to class, journal and pro bono work here, but I do have a completed B-school application waiting to be sent if I do ever take the test. I'd say there's a good chance I apply, a slim chance I get in, and a 50-50 chance I'd do the joint degree if admitted.

Getting into the JD/MBA does seem to be a bit easier here once admitted to the JD, but no one is quite able to quantify that for those of us thinking about it. I have very little business experience (most of my work is in education/nonprofits, something around which SBS has an entire curriculum centered), and so I think I'd be one of the first culled from the pile if a bunch of law students apply.

We'll see, though. I really love my law school classes. And we can take 8 classes in the B-school anyway, so it may be a moot point.

r6_philly wrote:I am working full-time and going to grad school full-time right now. Did about the same in UG. Can I look forward to a bit more relaxing time in LS since I won't be working (much)?

I think most of us have found it to be a slightly lighter workload than was expected. I'd say I do about 60 hours a week on law school, including my 18 hours of class. I think of law school as a full-time job, independent of class time. Journal and Pro Bono have added another 5 hours or so on top of that these past 2 weeks, as have other random activities.

It's not onerous, and it's definitely less work than I did when working in politics (hours-wise).
Last edited by Kretzy on Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:12 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:

They're all quite different. My section's CivPro prof is a cool and calculating young guy who had been litigating the past few years. Contracts is taught by a soft socratic woman who shows some humor every once in a while. Torts is taught by a hardcore law & econ guy who is HILARIOUS (and never misses an opportunity to make fun of people and/or lead them in circles). And Crim is taught by the funniest old man in the world.

How're the Harvard profs?

haha well just like at SLS, HLS profs are all diff, but i asked only semi-facetiously because one of my profs is a visiting SLS prof lol. he is hilarious and makes the class pretty easy to follow. my other profs are funny in their own ways (esp. the one who is a cold call machine haha man his biting humor is great), but the SLS prof definitely seems the most "cali" lol (to use a stereotype).

Kretzy wrote:

Haha, no. Some sections are complaining about a few of the profs, but most seem to be relatively minor. I have one that lets folks go crazy with questions, one sort-of boring one, one sort-of intense one, and one who has us talk about our feelings just as much as we do the law. But I do like all of them a lot.

I'd say people right now are complaining about 2 things: LRW and our first journal assignments (for those of us doing a journal, which is most). We did get a nice "don't freak out" email from one of the deans on Friday though, which was helpful :)

oh man, i would actually dislike that one the most hahaha...but TCR on LRW complaints. i hear those the most here too.

chup

Postby chup » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:12 pm

r6_philly wrote:
theadw wrote:
r6_philly wrote:What's the availability of off campus housing, and what's the price range? 2+ bedrooms. What's parking like if commuting?

Off-campus housing is ungodly expensive. I'm coming from DC, and price per square foot isn't much different in Palo Alto proper and the quality of the space is generally much inferior. As to commuting, I haven't heard anyone complain about parking, but it's annoying to drive in. Better to bike if you're able (and the university will pay you!)

Thanks for the answer. What about less desirable locations? I haven't lived in nice area for almost 20 years, so if I can find a decently priced house (but undesirable by SLS standards) I would prefer it that way because my family would be in tow (that's 6 extra heads). Hence the question about commuting.

I can always ride my bikes (motorcycles) since the weather is nice :)

There are plenty of options once you get outside the Palo Alto yuppie ghetto. I know several people that have lived in Menlo Park, have decent/affordable rent, and commute via bike. You won't really find cheap housing in the Bay Area, but it's not like everyone is living in $1,800/mo. condos, either.

( <------ also, I feel I should disclose: not a 1L)

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:21 pm

chup wrote:There are plenty of options once you get outside the Palo Alto yuppie ghetto. I know several people that have lived in Menlo Park, have decent/affordable rent, and commute via bike. You won't really find cheap housing in the Bay Area, but it's not like everyone is living in $1,800/mo. condos, either.

( <------ also, I feel I should disclose: not a 1L)

Thanks for the tip. I think anything around $1000-1300 a month would be ok for 3 years. I am not sure if I would actually consider staying in the area considering the cost of living. But the weather and the coast (and Monterey) is alluring.

I guess if I end up having the honor to consider Stanford I would take a trip there and do some extensive house hunting. Would have to rent out my current house too...

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:09 pm

Would it be crazy to commute 45 minutes from the East Bay?

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:56 pm

sarahhope82 wrote:Would it be crazy to commute 45 minutes from the East Bay?

Crazy? Perhaps. Feasible? Most certainly.

A man in my section commutes from Oakland every day via public transit (he reads while taking BART/bus). It sounds a little extreme to me, but he makes it work. It is also worth noting that he is married--I'm not sure that it would be a wise move to live so far away from campus without a significant other, as you would miss out on the social scene.

UnitarySpace

Postby UnitarySpace » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm

Is there a social scene? My biggest reservation is that Palo Alto might be too boring.

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:20 pm

UnitarySpace wrote:Is there a social scene? My biggest reservation is that Palo Alto might be too boring.

Much more than Boringside Heights :)

Seriously, though, Palo Alto ain't so bad. While most students spend their time hanging out with one another on campus (which is actually a ton of fun), we also have bar review every week and people go out to SF/"beaches"/other parts of the Bay on weekends. There are fun activities going on during the week, too. For example, a bunch of us are heading out to a local bar later for trivia night.

That being said, Palo Alto would be a mediocre city if the students weren't so amazing and fun. Then again, I went to UG in a really, really fun city. Anyway, as Kretzy and many others have repeatedly stated, the students here are (mostly) very social and enjoy hanging out with one another. It's some combination of the sunshine, the lack of real grades, and the admissions team blessing us with a diverse and fun class.

UnitarySpace

Postby UnitarySpace » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:32 pm

Thanks for the quick response BioE. I'm excited about applying now!

I've got a few more questions.

I heard bars close early in Palo Alto. Is this true?

Since Palo Alto is in the suburbs, do you have to drive everywhere? How does this affect your ability to get drunk?

On a similar note, one of my friends (from a city near palo alto) got drunk once, and decided that he wasn't going to drive. As he was walking home, he got ticketed for public intoxication. Are police this strict in general in the area?

Finally, I tried googling boringside heights and couldn't find anything. I guess it's an inside joke.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:33 pm

UnitarySpace wrote:Thanks for the quick response BioE. I'm excited about applying now!

I've got a few more questions.

I heard bars close early in Palo Alto. Is this true?

Since Palo Alto is in the suburbs, do you have to drive everywhere? How does this affect your ability to get drunk?

On a similar note, one of my friends (from a city near palo alto) got drunk once, and decided that he wasn't going to drive. As he was walking home, he got ticketed for public intoxication. Are police this strict in general in the area?

Finally, I tried googling boringside heights and couldn't find anything. I guess it's an inside joke.

He's referring to Morningside Heights, where Columbia is, I think.

Also, BioE's post definitely made me really excited and jealous! I hope I get in :).

UnitarySpace

Postby UnitarySpace » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:46 pm

I thought Columbia was near the Hudson River in South America.

clevinger33

Postby clevinger33 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:55 pm

How long do you think it will take for your classmates to realize who you are, out you, and ridicule you behind your back as "that guy that posted the thread on TLS" on gchat every time you raise your hand/get cold-called?

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:57 pm

clevinger33 wrote:How long do you think it will take for your classmates to realize who you are, out you, and ridicule you behind your back as "that guy that posted the thread on TLS" on gchat every time you raise your hand/get cold-called?

:roll:

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:40 pm

clevinger33 wrote:How long do you think it will take for your classmates to realize who you are, out you, and ridicule you behind your back as "that guy that posted the thread on TLS" on gchat every time you raise your hand/get cold-called?

Not too difficult to figure out who most of us are, given our very revealing usernames.

And UnitarySpace, stop trolling.

UnitarySpace

Postby UnitarySpace » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:13 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:

Not too difficult to figure out who most of us are, given our very revealing usernames.

And UnitarySpace, stop trolling.

I'm appalled at the accusation good sir.

chup

Postby chup » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:15 pm

As a percentage of the student body, virtually nobody give two shits about TLS. At least not in my class.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:20 pm

chup wrote:

As a percentage of the student body, virtually nobody give two shits about TLS. At least not in my class.

Yup. It took almost all of us who regularly posted about 2 days to realize who folks were (in my case, 2 seconds, since my username is a dead giveaway). As for everyone else, no one cares or cared. I think almost all of the folks who talk excessively (in my five classes I think there are 7 total) are not on TLS.

Also:

I've found police to be remarkably low-key. Granted I've only had 3 interactions with them: asking for directions to a 5k (really helpful), watching one sing Whitney Houston and dance a bit at Trader Joe's (hilarious, also very cute), and drunkenly joking with one of them at the Stanford-USC tailgate (nice guy, totally aware of how drunk I was). The first two were Palo Alto police, the 3rd a Stanford police officer, so I don't know if there's a difference. But most of the police officers here seem more relaxed than I'm used to.

chup

Postby chup » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:28 pm

theadw wrote:
Knockglock wrote:How is being on the quarters system?

We 1Ls are ill-equipped to answer this question, but here are some facts:
- the first quarter is semester length.
- the rationale for the switch was to open up non-law courses to law students, but we can't pick our classes yet. There is disagreement among the faculty as to whether law students (not pursuing dual degrees) should want or need to take graduate-level courses outside of the law school, but it at least seems nice to have the option.
- we also get to take more classes during our time here, but that benefit is equally difficult (for us) to see from here.
- the big bummer for us is touted to be three rounds of exams, but we can't quite say what that's like. Folks here last year seem to be coping just fine with that.

I'm in my third year of a joint degree program and I can tell you that for me, quarters are a godsend. The ability to cover more topics in the same amount of time is also great, as is the ability to be done quickly with subjects that you don't really like. That being said, there are a couple drawbacks:

1. This is only the second year on quarters, and many classes that are now quarter-length were around for years and years (and taught by the same people) as semester classes. Some professors have adjusted to this change better than others, but there are some classes that still feel a bit rushed, and there are others (like Corporations) that are just a lot of material that is difficult to cram into 10 weeks no matter what.

2. Summers: Because of the whole stupid OCI arms race, OCI is getting pushed to an earlier date every year, and it's made exponentially more annoying by the fact that we're on quarters. Where starting OCI in the third week of August would mean a slightly early return to campus at most schools, at Stanford it means you arrive a full MONTH before 2L classes start. It also makes the 2L summer schedule a bit wonky -- SLS students often come in a couple weeks later than students from other schools that are on semesters, and because firms don't like people to stay well into August (since they're ramping up for the next recruiting season), that can mean a shorter SA experience (though from what I've heard firms have been pretty good about accommodating people and the new schedule).

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:35 pm

chup wrote:
theadw wrote:
Knockglock wrote:How is being on the quarters system?

We 1Ls are ill-equipped to answer this question, but here are some facts:
- the first quarter is semester length.
- the rationale for the switch was to open up non-law courses to law students, but we can't pick our classes yet. There is disagreement among the faculty as to whether law students (not pursuing dual degrees) should want or need to take graduate-level courses outside of the law school, but it at least seems nice to have the option.
- we also get to take more classes during our time here, but that benefit is equally difficult (for us) to see from here.
- the big bummer for us is touted to be three rounds of exams, but we can't quite say what that's like. Folks here last year seem to be coping just fine with that.

I'm in my third year of a joint degree program and I can tell you that for me, quarters are a godsend. The ability to cover more topics in the same amount of time is also great, as is the ability to be done quickly with subjects that you don't really like. That being said, there are a couple drawbacks:

1. This is only the second year on quarters, and many classes that are now quarter-length were around for years and years (and taught by the same people) as semester classes. Some professors have adjusted to this change better than others, but there are some classes that still feel a bit rushed, and there are others (like Corporations) that are just a lot of material that is difficult to cram into 10 weeks no matter what.

2. Summers: Because of the whole stupid OCI arms race, OCI is getting pushed to an earlier date every year, and it's made exponentially more annoying by the fact that we're on quarters. Where starting OCI in the third week of August would mean a slightly early return to campus at most schools, at Stanford it means you arrive a full MONTH before 2L classes start. It also makes the 2L summer schedule a bit wonky -- SLS students often come in a couple weeks later than students from other schools that are on semesters, and because firms don't like people to stay well into August (since they're ramping up for the next recruiting season), that can mean a shorter SA experience (though from what I've heard firms have been pretty good about accommodating people and the new schedule).

Thank you so much chup! Very interesting and informative.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”