SLS 1L(s), here to chat

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
r6_philly

Re: SLS 1L(s), here to chat

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:46 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:
I am still a bit undecided about going, but I am definitely leaning towards it. If I do go, I am also thinking Thursday, probably in the afternoon, through Friday night or Saturday morning. By appointment, do you mean like for a tour, attending a class, or meeting with someone in admissions?

All of the above :) well maybe minus the class because we will have the baby with us.

We are flying in Thur. morning so will be there afternoon. Hope to see you there? ;)

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:12 pm

r6_philly wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:
I am still a bit undecided about going, but I am definitely leaning towards it. If I do go, I am also thinking Thursday, probably in the afternoon, through Friday night or Saturday morning. By appointment, do you mean like for a tour, attending a class, or meeting with someone in admissions?

All of the above :) well maybe minus the class because we will have the baby with us.

We are flying in Thur. morning so will be there afternoon. Hope to see you there? ;)

Yeah, I was not sure if I should really schedule a meeting with admissions or not. I know adding a face to the application is always nice, but I want to have more to say other than "Yo, Faye, how's it hangin'?" Besides, I do not think that they would answer any of the questions I want answered anyway. :wink:

What's the proper form for this anyway?

dubs

Postby dubs » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:00 pm

I was wondering what job prospects are like on the East coast for a Stanford grad interested in public interest law. I'm choosing between Harvard and Stanford, but I'm from NYC and I know I want to come back after law school to practice. Will going to Stanford over Harvard limit my job prospects? I know there aren't as many Stanford alums practicing on the East coast.

amputatedbrain

Postby amputatedbrain » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:47 pm

Haven't posted on TLS in a long, long time, but since I used it so much as an applicant thought I'd pay it forward now as well. I don't know how Harvard 1Ls are doing so I can't give you an opinion in reference to that particular school, but I can tell you that at least myself and many of my classmates are having no problem getting summer jobs on the East coast; I'm going to DC, and some of my friends are going to NY and NJ. Someone might have data or something that says otherwise, but speaking from my own viewpoint, I don't think worrying about being able to find jobs on the East coast should be a huge concern or part of your decision.

Maroon+Cardinal

Postby Maroon+Cardinal » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:34 pm

Is Verizon's service strong in Palo Alto?

amputatedbrain

Postby amputatedbrain » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:47 pm

Maroon+Cardinal wrote:Is Verizon's service strong in Palo Alto?

Yes it's just fine. Although interestingly, cell phone reception is awful inside Munger buildings

The Stig

Postby The Stig » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:55 pm

amputatedbrain wrote:Haven't posted on TLS in a long, long time, but since I used it so much as an applicant thought I'd pay it forward now as well. I don't know how Harvard 1Ls are doing so I can't give you an opinion in reference to that particular school, but I can tell you that at least myself and many of my classmates are having no problem getting summer jobs on the East coast; I'm going to DC, and some of my friends are going to NY and NJ. Someone might have data or something that says otherwise, but speaking from my own viewpoint, I don't think worrying about being able to find jobs on the East coast should be a huge concern or part of your decision.

I think the data can be found here-
http://www.law.stanford.edu/experience/ ... nts/stats/

but only enrolled students can access it :(

MartianManhunter

Postby MartianManhunter » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:09 pm

dubs wrote:I was wondering what job prospects are like on the East coast for a Stanford grad interested in public interest law. I'm choosing between Harvard and Stanford, but I'm from NYC and I know I want to come back after law school to practice. Will going to Stanford over Harvard limit my job prospects? I know there aren't as many Stanford alums practicing on the East coast.

Not at all. My friends who have wanted jobs in government/non-profits and I have gotten interviews and offers from everyplace we've applied. One of my good friends had a turnaround time for a fairly competitive position with a nonprofit in a few days. They want Stanford students.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:22 pm

How does Stanford grads fare compared to Berkeley grads doing IP/Technology law? I know Berkeley heavily advertise their IP focus, so I want to know if their grads' prospect is comparable to a Stanford grad.

amputatedbrain

Postby amputatedbrain » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:10 am

r6_philly wrote:How does Stanford grads fare compared to Berkeley grads doing IP/Technology law? I know Berkeley heavily advertise their IP focus, so I want to know if their grads' prospect is comparable to a Stanford grad.

I'm out of my area because I have no interest in IP law, but just because I don't know if any of the other 1L's on this board will either I'll tell you this: my final decision was between Berkeley and Stanford, and honestly I would doubt there's anything Berkeley has a real edge in. I know IP is their "specialty," but Stanford is in Silicon Valley too and has many technology oriented professors and journals. Frankly, the name Berkeley causes eyes to roll in a lot of circles, probably not as much in IP, but there aren't any employers who are going to have that "oh jeez" reaction to the Stanford name. When I visited Berkeley for admit weekend and mentioned to a few guides that I was also admitted to Stanford, one or two told me quietly, essentially verbatim, "we love Berkeley, but we would never tell anyone to turn down Stanford."

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”