Fordham 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
nygrrrl

Re: Fordham 1L Taking Questions

Postby nygrrrl » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:08 pm

neptunestar wrote:Do people talk about the fact that they cut the incoming class in half for PT? Or is that only those of us on the outside worry about lol

I worried like heck because they did it in the MIDDLE of my cycle!
As Dean Brown explained it to me, they are trying to get the PT division back to its intended roots (working people who need to go to school at night). On the up side, they took those 80 places and made them into a hybrid day/evening group which has worked out very, very well for several friends of mine who are still working but wanted to switch to FT. (Of course, the unspoken factor is the USNWR... making the PT division smaller and more exclusive will help boost numbers, in the end.)

neptunestar

Postby neptunestar » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:14 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
neptunestar wrote:Do people talk about the fact that they cut the incoming class in half for PT? Or is that only those of us on the outside worry about lol

I worried like heck because they did it in the MIDDLE of my cycle!
As Dean Brown explained it to me, they are trying to get the PT division back to its intended roots (working people who need to go to school at night). On the up side, they took those 80 places and made them into a hybrid day/evening group which has worked out very, very well for several friends of mine who are still working but wanted to switch to FT. (Of course, the unspoken factor is the USNWR... making the PT division smaller and more exclusive will help boost numbers, in the end.)

So did Dean Brown make it seem as if the PT program would be more likely to admit more experienced/older/people who intend to work as opposed to people who are looking for a "back door" into Fordham FT? I've always thought that PT admissions should be based on a principle similar to that but the people on TLS make it seem if you have lower numbers then you should just check the PT box on your application to increase your chances. I had never really heard of that "strategy" before this forum...

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:45 pm

neptunestar wrote:So did Dean Brown make it seem as if the PT program would be more likely to admit more experienced/older/people who intend to work as opposed to people who are looking for a "back door" into Fordham FT?

YES, in no uncertain terms.

akcorps

Postby akcorps » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:42 pm

How many people in the PT program work full or close to full time? I realize this may not come up in class, but I am interested to hear how common working full time is.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:44 pm

akcorps wrote:How many people in the PT program work full or close to full time? I realize this may not come up in class, but I am interested to hear how common working full time is.

I should really do a poll... but guessing? I'd say maybe half of my section works full or close to full time. Figure the other evening section is the same? (Note to self: try to get numbers on this.)

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:29 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
akcorps wrote:How many people in the PT program work full or close to full time? I realize this may not come up in class, but I am interested to hear how common working full time is.

I should really do a poll... but guessing? I'd say maybe half of my section works full or close to full time. Figure the other evening section is the same? (Note to self: try to get numbers on this.)

I think it is probably similar in my section as well.

IsleMet

Postby IsleMet » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:07 pm

Hooray, I'm in full time!

Do you guys know if Fordham offers any scholarships for students that are pursing careers in public service?
Any idea how generous they are with money in general?

I'd like to attend, but I'm nervous about the potential debt and the poor job market. I don't want to pay back 200k worth of debt over the next 30 years of my life (the COL in NY is ridiculous and I wouldn't be earning a salary of course).

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:59 pm

BUMP because now that exams are winding down we'll have more time to answer questions...

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:57 pm

Nygrrrl brought me here.

There is a very strong possibility that I will attend Fordham. Sucks I'll never experience the new law building.

At my info session, they were talking about a new thing they're starting up from my class on. "Mentors" for each law student to help us brush up our resumes, help us find jobs, etc. Anyone know something about that?

PotatoMonkey

Postby PotatoMonkey » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:34 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:hello! I got in to fordham, and was wondering how are clerkship prospects?

I was wondering this as well! And for any of you who may live in the dorms on campus, how conducive would you say it is to studying- have you had any problems with the fact that undergrads live there as well?

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:40 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:Nygrrrl brought me here.

:mrgreen:
There is a very strong possibility that I will attend Fordham. Sucks I'll never experience the new law building.
Ha - yeah, me either. Grumble.

At my info session, they were talking about a new thing they're starting up from my class on. "Mentors" for each law student to help us brush up our resumes, help us find jobs, etc. Anyone know something about that?

Don't know about that but they sure do try to hook us up with as many advisors/mentors as possible. I have 2 official ones, 1 unofficial one and even an unofficial mentor on the faculty, now - one of the great things about Fordham is that it's a tight community - it feels very small and intimate.

As to the questions on money... gosh, they just don't have a lot to give. :? OS is your best resource there.
And for housing, Rockthelaw is the person to talk to - he'll be back around in a few days, I expect. :D

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:50 pm

Thanks!

They said they were hiring more counselors or something. Very qualified counselors with JDs, whoo hoo!

Also, I emailed the financial aid office and kindly asked for money. Doubt it'll work though.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:08 am

on-campus housing can't be worth it, can it?

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:09 am

Stringer6 wrote:on-campus housing can't be worth it, can it?

McMann house seems to provide 1 room places for law students for almost 8,000 a semester, I think. Which is like... 5 months?

It's right in the city so the price is pretty much on par. But yea, I don't want to travel home everyday either.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:33 am

McMann house seems to provide 1 room places for law students for almost 8,000 a semester, I think. Which is like... 5 months?

It's right in the city so the price is pretty much on par. But yea, I don't want to travel home everyday either.

meh. i pay 1,000/month in an outer borough. i'll stick with that. plus i have a dog...don't know what the pet policy is.

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:05 pm

edited--no one answered so figured i should get rid of it
\
Last edited by crossingforHYS on Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PotatoMonkey

Postby PotatoMonkey » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:01 am

Just as a note, McMahon hall is all suite-style (think apartment building). Common room, kitchen (full fridge/stove/oven), and for law students, single bedrooms, with 3 bedrooms/apt. No pets allowed.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:27 am

No pets allowed.

woof

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:08 pm

PotatoMonkey wrote:Just as a note, McMahon hall is all suite-style (think apartment building). Common room, kitchen (full fridge/stove/oven), and for law students, single bedrooms, with 3 bedrooms/apt. No pets allowed.

No pets? Cat? :(

So you share an apartment with 2 other people but you get your own room. And that costs almost 8000 per semester??? I figure you get your own apartment for 1600 per month!

PotatoMonkey

Postby PotatoMonkey » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:22 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:
PotatoMonkey wrote:Just as a note, McMahon hall is all suite-style (think apartment building). Common room, kitchen (full fridge/stove/oven), and for law students, single bedrooms, with 3 bedrooms/apt. No pets allowed.

No pets? Cat? :(

So you share an apartment with 2 other people but you get your own room. And that costs almost 8000 per semester??? I figure you get your own apartment for 1600 per month!

No cats, no nothin'. :P And yeah, own room but shared apartment with 2 others. But, you don't have to go outside during the winter to get to the law school (they're connected), and there's free laundry facilities. So, some perks.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:56 pm

Plus, there's a gym, right?

If you don't live on campus, will a gym still be available for use by Fordham law students somewhere?

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:53 pm

1600 for one room is a ripoff, even in manhattan

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:45 pm

PAGING OS:

When should 1Ls expect their grades to be posted?

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:09 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:PAGING OS:

When should 1Ls expect their grades to be posted?

Just FYI - OS is on vacation but will probably check in, periodically.
As to the cost of McMahon? I have several friends who live there and they seem to think it's a pretty good deal (considering the proximity to the school), but I'll reach out to all of them and get some opinions for you all. (Stringer, I doubt $1600 will even buy you a studio within 1/2 an hour of school, unless it's a room in someone's apartment. I've lived in the nabe for nearly 10 years: that's just the reality of the COL. :( )

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:14 pm

Fordham emailed me back in response to my merit aid inquiry and I'm getting none. This makes my decisions really tough. Don't wanna go so far into debt... :(

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”