Fordham 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Fordham 1L Taking Questions

Postby nygrrrl » Tue May 10, 2011 4:28 pm

:lol: I tip my hat to patent who is, indeed, awesome!
Exactly how i would have answered every one of those questions. (Actually? You were more complete than I would have been, re: residency! Thank you!)

ETA: Also? On a very silly, personal note: one year ago today I got a call from Dean Brown, asking if I'd like to come to Fordham Law. As I head off to the library for another 6 hours or so of studying (!) I can say without any hesitation that I love this school and I am so very happy to be here. Looking forward to welcoming those of you who choose to join me!
Happy Tuesday, all. :mrgreen:

akcorps
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:34 pm

Re: Fordham 1L Taking Questions

Postby akcorps » Tue May 10, 2011 4:48 pm

@patently_awesome thanks for sharing this info. I didn't understand the residency thing in the academic regulations webpage, this makes a lot more sense to me now.

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13311
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Fordham 1L Taking Questions

Postby JenDarby » Sat May 14, 2011 5:40 pm

I suppose now that I am going to Fordham, I should switch my focus on threads and start reading up on where I will now be headed in the fall. I'm very excited!

User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: Fordham 1L Taking Questions

Postby Gemini » Mon May 23, 2011 2:16 pm

How is Fordham with Macbooks?

I want to get a MBP for LS and I just want to make sure it's possible to do so without great detriment to me.

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Fordham 1L Taking Questions

Postby nygrrrl » Mon May 23, 2011 3:00 pm

Gemini wrote:How is Fordham with Macbooks?

I want to get a MBP for LS and I just want to make sure it's possible to do so without great detriment to me.

Absolutely fine. I'm working on one right now, in fact. :D
Used it for exams, had a small problem with the software during finals but it's very common and if it happens to you, you'll discover it during the set up / testing phase (long before exams) and IT will fix it.
Seriously, I'd say at least half the people here use Macs.

aliarrow
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: Fordham 1L Taking Questions

Postby aliarrow » Mon May 23, 2011 4:12 pm

What is the summer employment situation like this year for you all and your classmates (and are you referring to 1Ls or 2Ls)?

Metaread
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:57 pm

Re: Fordham 1L Taking Questions

Postby Metaread » Thu May 26, 2011 4:50 am

What is the general atmosphere of the school? I've heard people saying it can be competitive and cutthroat at times....is that at all true?

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Fordham 1L Taking Questions

Postby nygrrrl » Thu May 26, 2011 9:12 am

Metaread wrote:What is the general atmosphere of the school? I've heard people saying it can be competitive and cutthroat at times....is that at all true?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Well, let's see... I got home at 645am today, after pulling an all-nighter at school with about 3 dozen of those cutthroat folks. Cutthroat? No way. I've met 2 people - maybe 3 - this year that fit that description. The rest are some of the nicest, chillest, most mutually-supportive people I've ever met. Are we competitive? Well... we were there all night, doing write-on competition. Most of us haven't slept much, in 4 days. Yeah, there are some very bright, very driven, very competitive people at Fordham. But in a good way. I've never had trouble getting notes or an outline for a class, stuff like that. I think it's a great atmosphere, honestly.

User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: Fordham 1L Taking Questions

Postby Gemini » Tue May 31, 2011 7:10 pm

Sorry, another question:

Should I buy a printer? Is it necessary? Is it something that would be useful to have at home? Or is it completely unnecessary?

I can buy one for $100 so I'm just trying to figure out if I even need it or not. TYIA!
I like having one. There are printers at the library and you are given $100 at the start of the year for printing fees (I don't know anyone who used all of it) but I found it very helpful to have one, at home. (When my current printer dies, I will replace it with a printer/scanner/copier)

User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: Fordham 1L Taking Questions

Postby Gemini » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:14 pm

Gemini wrote:Sorry, another question:

Should I buy a printer? Is it necessary? Is it something that would be useful to have at home? Or is it completely unnecessary?

I can buy one for $100 so I'm just trying to figure out if I even need it or not. TYIA!
I like having one. There are printers at the library and you are given $100 at the start of the year for printing fees (I don't know anyone who used all of it) but I found it very helpful to have one, at home. (When my current printer dies, I will replace it with a printer/scanner/copier)


Bumping this.

Also would like to ask if people comfortably use iWork (instead of Microsoft Office).

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Fordham 1L Taking Questions

Postby nygrrrl » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:58 pm

Gemini wrote:
Gemini wrote:Sorry, another question:

Should I buy a printer? Is it necessary? Is it something that would be useful to have at home? Or is it completely unnecessary?

I can buy one for $100 so I'm just trying to figure out if I even need it or not. TYIA!
Ilike having one. There are printers at the library and you are given $100 at the start of the year for printing fees (I don't know anyone who used all of it) but I found it very helpful to have one, at home. (When my current printer dies, I will replace it with a printer/scanner/copier)


Bumping this.

Also would like to ask if people comfortably use iWork (instead of Microsoft Office).

OOPS. I must have been exhausted when I posted this. Somehow, it got mash/edited. This is my response:
"I like having one. There are printers at the library and you are given $100 at the start of the year for printing fees (I don't know anyone who used all of it) but I found it very helpful to have one, at home. (When my current printer dies, I will replace it with a printer/scanner/copier)"

User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: Fordham 1L Taking Questions

Postby Gemini » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:51 pm

Thank you, dear! :mrgreen:

1a. How about iWork? Do you use it with no difficulty?
1b. What note-taking program do you/others with Macs use?

lawstudento
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:15 am

Re: Fordham 1L Taking Questions

Postby lawstudento » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:17 am

I have a couple questions as I'm considering making a transfer out there (sorry to those in this thread that this will be duplicative for).

First, what is the "rising" (oh how I hate that term) 2L's job outlook? I'm talking about someone who doesn't expect to get biglaw and is really just looking to be an attorney and who is can do fairly well on grades (better than average)? I understand things are rough everywhere, but is this a "it may not be right away, pay a ton, or be ideal, but I can get a job and live" or a "I literally need an emergency plan because there is no way I'm getting any paying job whatsoever as an attorney" (so probably not just low-paying hourly review work without a future paying poverty-level wages)?

Secondly, how well do loans cover living expenses for NYC? This move would be across the country and to what I expect to be an very expensive place, and I just don't have outside resources to contribute.

If I can transfer from full-time to part-time, would it be completely out of the question to expect to find a part-time paying legal gig considering I'm getting some good summer experience now?

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Fordham 1L Taking Questions

Postby nygrrrl » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:30 am

Gemini wrote:Thank you, dear! :mrgreen:

1a. How about iWork? Do you use it with no difficulty?
1b. What note-taking program do you/others with Macs use?


1a. Actually, I didn't use it at all. I don't see any reason why there would be a problem... really, the whole "Macs are hard to deal with in lawl skool!" seems nutty, to me.

1b. I used something called Circus Ponies Notebook which I absolutely love (they have a free 30 day trial so you can test it out); I believe it's very similar to a note program that's part of iWork? Tons of people use Word... really, it doesn't make any difference. Whatever works.
(Full disclosure, I only used my computer for reading notes - I took class notes by hand.)

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Fordham 1L Taking Questions

Postby nygrrrl » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:42 am

lawstudento wrote:I have a couple questions as I'm considering making a transfer out there (sorry to those in this thread that this will be duplicative for).

First, what is the "rising" (oh how I hate that term) 2L's job outlook? I'm talking about someone who doesn't expect to get biglaw and is really just looking to be an attorney and who is can do fairly well on grades (better than average)? I understand things are rough everywhere, but is this a "it may not be right away, pay a ton, or be ideal, but I can get a job and live" or a "I literally need an emergency plan because there is no way I'm getting any paying job whatsoever as an attorney" (so probably not just low-paying hourly review work without a future paying poverty-level wages)?

Secondly, how well do loans cover living expenses for NYC? This move would be across the country and to what I expect to be an very expensive place, and I just don't have outside resources to contribute.

If I can transfer from full-time to part-time, would it be completely out of the question to expect to find a part-time paying legal gig considering I'm getting some good summer experience now?


These are good questions... and I can't answer all of them. (I'll shoot out some PMs, see if I can get the other 1L folks in here to help.)
For the first part - that's tough. I don't really know many people who are looking at things that way. I certainly don't know anyone who thinks they need an emergency plan. Mind you, we're a competitive bunch AND we haven't yet gone through OCI. As for summer employment? Everyone I know who wanted a job, has a job. (Several of my friends are doing summer abroad programs to move to the FT program; several others - in the PT program - already have FT jobs that they are keeping for one more year, waiting until next summer to get a legal gig.) Please note: almost all of these jobs are the typical, 1L internships/RA gigs/etc. (read, UNPAID.) Again, we do not go through OCI until August. Don't want to paint a picture of rainbows and unicorns, just telling you my personal experience.

I can't speak to the loans/living expenses question as I lived in NYC before I started school and am not relying on loans for the day-to-day.

I don't know what the job prospects (legal type) would be for a 2L moving to the city/transferring. Interesting question. In terms of having the time, yeah - I work 20/30 hours per week, I have quite a few friends working 40 hrs/wk.

Sorry that wasn't more helpful - as I said, I'll try to get the boys in here to add their 2 cents!

lawstudento
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:15 am

Re: Fordham 1L Taking Questions

Postby lawstudento » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:04 pm

Thanks for the response!

I guess I framed the job prospects that generally and with low-expectations because there seems to be a biglaw focus in much discussion here. I realize those jobs are incredibly hard to come by and I simply do not expect to get one. For what it's worth, I am just trying to get an idea of whether I'm going to be dinging myself significantly in a transfer in regard to job prospects. I am not giving up any scholarship or coveted extra-curricular (journal/moot ct).

I'm interested in working for a firm, I currently am interested in litigation and anything around businesses/corporations, but certainly open.

So my job search is in that spectrum, and if there is anything more specific to that that you can relay, I'd certainly appreciate it.

As far as your mention of OCI, I don't entirely plan to get a job through OCI as it is. If my grades stay up, it'll help, but I don't really see that as the real avenue of finding a job (and that seems to be the reality for most students). I am thinking more about the ability of a 2L at Fordham to actually go out, network, send out applications and hopefully find a job.

As far as budget, what is a reasonable range that I can expect for rent and utilities? I know there many areas to live in, and commutes to make, but for a 20-something new to the city on a budget, what are some areas and their respective rents? Assume finding a room to rent in a shared apartment, not having silver-spoon taste, but also trying to avoid the worst areas and commutes.

What does it cost to use public transit? Is there a monthly pass you can buy?

User avatar
aaaaaah
Posts: 301
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:20 pm

Re: Fordham 1L Taking Questions

Postby aaaaaah » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:50 am

lawstudento wrote:As far as budget, what is a reasonable range that I can expect for rent and utilities? I know there many areas to live in, and commutes to make, but for a 20-something new to the city on a budget, what are some areas and their respective rents? Assume finding a room to rent in a shared apartment, not having silver-spoon taste, but also trying to avoid the worst areas and commutes.

What does it cost to use public transit? Is there a monthly pass you can buy?


As a 0L, I don't have much to offer regarding the first set of questions, but as for budget concerns, I think your best bet would be Astoria/Long Island City. Most rooms in a shared apartment in those areas go for $700-$1,000. I'm talking about the more traditional walk-ups though; the newer buildings in LIC are probably more. Regarding utilities, I split cable, internet, gas and electric 3 ways and pay about $100/month for my share, with gas going up in the winter and electric in the summer. You could probably find a landlord to cover gas and save a little money there. An unlimited monthly metrocard is $104.
Last edited by aaaaaah on Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: Fordham 1L Taking Questions

Postby Gemini » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:51 am

Although I'm a 0L, I can answer a few of your questions, starting with this:

there seems to be a biglaw focus in much discussion here. I realize those jobs are incredibly hard to come by


From what I understand, about a quarter of Fordham students do biglaw. It's nowhere near huge numbers like some other schools but 1 in 4 isn't exactly "incredibly hard."

As far as budget, what is a reasonable range that I can expect for rent and utilities? I know there many areas to live in, and commutes to make, but for a 20-something new to the city on a budget, what are some areas and their respective rents? Assume finding a room to rent in a shared apartment, not having silver-spoon taste, but also trying to avoid the worst areas and commutes.


My advice to you here is to definitely live with a roommate! That way, rent and ut. will end up being somewhere between $1000-1500 a month, depending on the apt you get and how frugal you are. Anything on the west side would be ideal, as that is where Fordham is located.



HTH!

User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: Fordham 1L Taking Questions

Postby Lwoods » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:09 am

aaaaaah wrote:
lawstudento wrote:As far as budget, what is a reasonable range that I can expect for rent and utilities? I know there many areas to live in, and commutes to make, but for a 20-something new to the city on a budget, what are some areas and their respective rents? Assume finding a room to rent in a shared apartment, not having silver-spoon taste, but also trying to avoid the worst areas and commutes.

What does it cost to use public transit? Is there a monthly pass you can buy?


As a 0L, I don't have much to offer regarding the first set of questions, but as for budget concerns, I think your best bet would be Astoria/Long Island City. Most rooms in a shared apartment in those areas go for $700-$900. I'm talking about the more traditional walk-ups though; the newer buildings in LIC are probably more. Regarding utilities, I split cable, internet, gas and electric 3 ways and pay about $100/month for my share, with gas going up in the winter and electric in the summer. You could probably find a landlord to cover gas and save a little money there. An unlimited monthly metrocard is $104.


Also a 0L and not going to Fordham, but as a former NYer, the unlimited monthly metrocard is great if you're using it every day. Purchase it with your credit card in case you lose it sometime in the month because they do give refunds for lost/stolen monthly metrocards.

If you want nice but aren't high maintenance, stick to the UWS (below 100th or so), look at "Pre-war" "walk-up" buildings, and find a roommate or two (you'll probably see terms like "1 conv 2 bdrm" or "2 conv 3 bdrm", which means an extra wall has been or can be put up to create an extra bedroom. Many 20-somethings on a budget do this. Elevator/Doorman buildings tend to be more expensive, but if you find one in your price range/neighborhood, they're worth checking out. $1000 for your share of the rent is good; you shouldn't need to go over $1300/month for an okay room in a shared apartment in a decent Manhattan neighborhood. The closest train to Fordham is the 1 (red), so it'd be ideal to live near a 1 stop. However, it's also close to the A/C (blue) and B/D (orange) stops at Columbus Circle.
It's not the end of the world if you have to have a transfer in your commute, but I personally prefer as few transfers as possible.

I'd suggest starting with your ideal neighborhood (right by the law school), and then widening your search until you find apartments you like in your price range, staying along the subway routes you like.
Be careful with Craigslist... they sometimes like to call Harlem the UWS (or Spanish Harlem the UES). Granted, there's enough overlap to get away with it, but just be aware. This is not to say that Harlem and Spanish Harlem are bad neighborhoods (I <3 SpaHa!), but they may or may not be what you're looking for.

lawstudento
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:15 am

Re: Fordham 1L Taking Questions

Postby lawstudento » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:03 pm

Thanks for the advice on housing!

I currently live in San Francisco and those rent figures seem relatively equal, maybe a bit more which is understandable since I want to live in Manhattan.

Anywho, to the poster saying that maybe 1/4 of Fordham get big law: pretty sure those may have been peak-hiring, pre-bust numbers. I think at most schools the biglaw prospects are for the top 10-15% students, and I've heard this includes Fordham.

However, that's really not my concern, if I get biglaw, awesome, if not, it's reality. I'm more concerned over my ability to find work with a firm at all where I can work as a lawyer. If it is a 20 attorney firm, or a 5 attorney firm, or whatever - I want to be able to practice the kind of law I find interesting and make ends meet doing so. Those are the job prospects that I'm interested in knowing about (OCI won't matter if I make the transfer, since Fordham apparently doesn't let transfers participate).

If anyone has thoughts for a potential transfer and first time NY'er, feel free to comment. Thanks!

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Fordham 1L Taking Questions

Postby Gotti » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:33 pm

oh hay fellow CA resident :)

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Fordham 1L Taking Questions

Postby NYC Law » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:48 pm

How is Career Services Office?

More specifically, what types of materials do they provide prior to the 1L job hunt?
I'm just curious as I'm trying to start getting all my materials together now. I've seen some schools provide spreadsheets of judges (maybe firms?), so I didn't want to create my own for mail merging purposes if we receive them after Nov. 1st anyway.

caligirl
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:28 pm

Re: Fordham 1L Taking Questions

Postby caligirl » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:32 pm

Hi! I really really really need some advice here.

I am stuck between a half ride to Hastings or paying sticker for Fordham. I want to do something involving international law. I have lived in Los Angeles my whole life and I am wondering if if West coast people find the transition difficult to New York and/or if Hastings would be the better choice. Advice???? :) Also, how is it to live in school housing?

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Fordham 1L Taking Questions

Postby Gotti » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:34 pm

caligirl wrote:Hi! I really really really need some advice here.

I am stuck between a half ride to Hastings or paying sticker for Fordham. I want to do something involving international law. I have lived in Los Angeles my whole life and I am wondering if if West coast people find the transition difficult to New York and/or if Hastings would be the better choice. Advice???? :) Also, how is it to live in school housing?

I would REALLY think about where you want to live and work for not only the next 3 years but most likely several years after that. I'm from CA too and I chose Fordham over Hastings because I want to live in NYC. If you know you want to stay in CA or on the west coast for sure, go to Hastings, esp because you have a half scholarship.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Fordham 1L Taking Questions

Postby NYC Law » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:09 pm

NYC Law wrote:How is Career Services Office?

More specifically, what types of materials do they provide prior to the 1L job hunt?
I'm just curious as I'm trying to start getting all my materials together now. I've seen some schools provide spreadsheets of judges (maybe firms?), so I didn't want to create my own for mail merging purposes if we receive them after Nov. 1st anyway.


Anyone?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests