Fordham 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Stringer6

Re: Fordham 1L Taking Questions

Postby Stringer6 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:36 pm

bump. what grades do you need to grade onto law review?

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:41 pm

. oops i don't know the diff between a quote and a pm :oops:

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:43 pm

nyankees51

Postby nyankees51 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:13 pm

Hey guys, I am going to the ASD on Saturday and I wasn't sure if it's ok to bring a SO. Since she will move with me wherever I go and we will be living together it's kind of a joint decision. So basically is it noraml to bring someone to ASD?

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:18 pm

nyankees51 wrote:Hey guys, I am going to the ASD on Saturday and I wasn't sure if it's ok to bring a SO. Since she will move with me wherever I go and we will be living together it's kind of a joint decision. So basically is it noraml to bring someone to ASD?

I know several people who brought SOs last year - go for it!
Looking forward to meeting at least some of you, this weekend!

nyankees51

Postby nyankees51 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:27 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
nyankees51 wrote:Hey guys, I am going to the ASD on Saturday and I wasn't sure if it's ok to bring a SO. Since she will move with me wherever I go and we will be living together it's kind of a joint decision. So basically is it noraml to bring someone to ASD?

I know several people who brought SOs last year - go for it!
Looking forward to meeting at least some of you, this weekend!

Thanks for the advice!

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:31 pm

Yeah I'm bringing my bf too...he's probably going to NYU but I definitely want him to come with me and see the area (in terms of living) and stuff. I just emailed admitted@law.fordham.edu and asked for a travel stipend (i'm from CA)

I heard they can give up to $250, is this accurate in anyone else's experience?

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:07 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
lawfreak wrote:Can I get into Fordham p/t with a 158/3.95 (lsdas)? According to law school predictor I should "strongly consider", but from what I'm reading here it seems like I should strongly NOT consider?

Ouch. I really hate to say this, but with that LSAT I think you would need a tremendously compelling story. And even then, I'm not sure it would be enough.
Retake?

What about splitters the other way? 2.8 gpa and a 165 lsat? I'm a non trad, out of school 16 years with great work experience and (I think) a good explanation for my gpa included in an addendum.
And yes - retake! I had a 158 first time around because I panicked. The retake was worth it. I can't change my gpa, but you can change your lsat. 165 isn't extraordinary, but I think it makes a huge difference.

ETA: I'm pulling for Fordham FT. I could do PT because I do have a job here in NYC, but I think working full time and going to law school at night might kill me. Or at least kill my law school grades.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:46 pm

Lawst wrote:What about splitters the other way? 2.8 gpa and a 165 lsat? I'm a non trad, out of school 16 years with great work experience and (I think) a good explanation for my gpa included in an addendum.
And yes - retake! I had a 158 first time around because I panicked. The retake was worth it. I can't change my gpa, but you can change your lsat. 165 isn't extraordinary, but I think it makes a huge difference.

ETA: I'm pulling for Fordham FT. I could do PT because I do have a job here in NYC, but I think working full time and going to law school at night might kill me. Or at least kill my law school grades.

You're in a slightly better position, but it's very very dicey.
My story is kind of similar - will PM

Also - see bolded, above. True, true, true!

predent/prelaw

Postby predent/prelaw » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:04 pm

What is Fashion law? Do you work in international textile trade? or crazyness?

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:03 am

predent/prelaw wrote:What is Fashion law? Do you work in international textile trade? or crazyness?

http://law.fordham.edu/fashion-law-institute/19550.htm

Fashion law is huge in France, but I think it'll become more developed here in the US with the growth of knock off chains like Forever 21. Fordham is smart to capitalize on it.

<3 Fordham

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:24 am

How good do your grades have to be at Fordham to be competitive with NYU/Columbia/Cornell for Biglaw? What top percentage of the class?

adevotchka

Postby adevotchka » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:35 pm

coldshoulder wrote:How good do your grades have to be at Fordham to be competitive with NYU/Columbia/Cornell for Biglaw? What top percentage of the class?

Not sure if anyone is still left to answer, but I'm generally curious about this as well. Also, what time is the earliest class 1 L? The latest?

Also, the weekly bar review that was mentioned--is that just 1Ls or is it all students? What venues, do people actually go to this, etc...

indecisive111

Postby indecisive111 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:59 pm

also interested in above questions...

and... what are some good neighborhoods to live in by fordham?

predent/prelaw

Postby predent/prelaw » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:22 pm

indecisive111 wrote:also interested in above questions...

and... what are some good neighborhoods to live in by fordham?

I do not go to fordham and will not even apply until this fall but I have lived all over the city and if I went to fordham I would find a place with a roommie in hells kitchen/Clinton (but I like to walk and hated the subways in the summertime) also I would always use rdny.com (this is not an ad lol) that is like the best it list only no fee apartments and if you go somewhere that they try and make you pay a fee the company will sue them. To be honest I am biased I did the Upper east side thing the east village thing the Brooklyn thing and the Astoria thing and would never live anywhere in NYC other than Hells kitchen because you can find killer deals in an awesome location. Although I did have a friend who lived in Jersey City and took the path train to commute to work everyday in like the really nice high rises over there but me and my roommate could not bring ourselves to live in jersey haha

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:42 pm

Wow. So many questions! I need the assistance of my fellow 1Ls.... I will have to summon them.
In the meantime, I'll do the best I can. I have no idea how good your grades need to be, to get Big Law out of Fordham. This seems to be asked a lot; I'm not sure there's any solid answer. Suffice to say Very Good. Very, Very Good. But that's true everywhere. So I dunno.
(Suffice to say, I'm not going into Big Law so I'm not the right person to be talking about this! :lol: )

I'm in the Evening Division so I can only answer the class times question based on our schedule: our earliest class is at 600pm, the later classes tend to start around 755. (Again - there's a better person to answer this and I'll see if I can get him to drop by...)

Bar Review! It's all students. Seems like 90% of the time, it's at a specific bar a few blocks down 9th Avenue. They have darts. And will pull out a table for beer pong, when needed. Yummy nachos, too. Again, I can only speak for the Evening Division but yeah, we turn out for bar review - especially early in the semester. It's a nice way to blow off steam and just hang with your classmates.

Neighborhoods... well, the area right around school is fantastic but can be pricey. I lived on the Upper West Side before being admitted but if I were looking for a place? I'd probably go with Hell's Kitchen or Harlem. I have friends whose commute is over an hour, friends who live 5 minutes away. Depends on what you want to spend, whether you want a roommate, etc.

akcorps

Postby akcorps » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:47 pm

nygrrrl wrote:I'm in the Evening Division so I can only answer the class times question based on our schedule: our earliest class is at 600pm, the later classes tend to start around 755. (Again - there's a better person to answer this and I'll see if I can get him to drop by...)

Can you tell me what the first year schedule looks like for evening division?

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:49 am

akcorps wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:I'm in the Evening Division so I can only answer the class times question based on our schedule: our earliest class is at 600pm, the later classes tend to start around 755. (Again - there's a better person to answer this and I'll see if I can get him to drop by...)

Also do PT'ers have a harder time at OCI?

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:01 am

akcorps wrote:

this year it was approximately:

Fall:
Mon: Crim 6-720
Tues: Contracts 6-8, Legal Writing 8-930
Wed: Contracts 630-920?
Thurs: Crim 6-720, Legal Research 730-820

Spring:

Mon: Torts 6-850
Tues: Prop 6-845
Wed: Prop 630-820
Thurs: Torts 6-750, Legal Writing 8-930

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:02 am

SupraVln180 wrote:
akcorps wrote:

Also do PT'ers have a harder time at OCI?

Can't say for sure, if I had to guess I would say it only really hurts you if you are PT and not working at all and even then I don't really know what the impact is.

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:04 am

adevotchka wrote:
coldshoulder wrote:How good do your grades have to be at Fordham to be competitive with NYU/Columbia/Cornell for Biglaw? What top percentage of the class?

Not sure if anyone is still left to answer, but I'm generally curious about this as well. Also, what time is the earliest class 1 L? The latest?

Also, the weekly bar review that was mentioned--is that just 1Ls or is it all students? What venues, do people actually go to this, etc...

I've heard anywhere from top third to top 25% will make you competative

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:57 pm

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
adevotchka wrote:

I've heard anywhere from top third to top 25% will make you competative

Can you be competitive if you can't spell competitive? :wink: <3

renegade811

Postby renegade811 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:08 am

I was at the BU Admitted Students Day last weekend, and will be going to Fordham's this Saturday.

One thing I was struck by was the friendliness and overall good-natured atmosphere. While I'm sure I'll get a sense of this on Saturday, could someone maybe discuss what the atmosphere at Fordham is like?

I've heard rumblings about unhelpful staff and concerns that not everyone is as friendly as at some other schools. I'm a native New Yorker, so I don't want people to be all bubbly and excited all the time, but I'd like to be able to expect a certain level of affability from the people I'll be going to school with.

cr1stina

Postby cr1stina » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:37 pm

I would love to get more insight on housing....how did everyone go about it? I've been looking through craigslist and googling things but don't even know what exactly I should be looking for.

Is there some sort of student matching service for roommates? how much should I be paying given the $18,100 that fordham has listed as room/board costs?

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:30 pm

My question is more for 2L and 3Ls.

If you do REALLY REALLY well your 1L year, are there merit-based scholarship opportunities available at Fordham for those at the top of the class? Or are merit awards only given 0L and that's it?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”