Fordham 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jwmalone87

Re: Fordham 1L Taking Questions

Postby jwmalone87 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:10 pm

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:
jwmalone87 wrote:How's the social life at Fordham? Do students regularly spend time with each other outside of class?

I'm moving from TX, never been to NYC nor do I know anyone who lives there...anyone there now with a similar experience?

I've found the social life to be great but given that I've lived in NYC for 20 years and have a job and family (!), I may not be the right Fordhamster to talk about this. :lol:
Seriously, I think it's what you make it. I have friends who rarely go out and friends who are social butterflies. Bar Review is always popular and I definitely see my friends, outside of school... but I think Rocky and H.E.P. should weigh in on this one. :D

I've lived in NY my whole life (though slightly further north than NYC) but I knew a bunch of college and high school friends when I moved down here, so I can't comment on that. However, nygrrrl is correct; there are those who go out all the time and those who rarely do. I'd say I fell moreso in the latter category, but I made it to a handful of bar reviews. Being a PT student, after work and class I was generally pretty wiped out, but there were a few times I made the exception. A few of us have hung out a bunch of times since classes ended, as well. You can def find a group of people to match your social expectations.

Thanks y'all :) Appreciate you taking the time out.

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:38 pm

IsleMet wrote:Hi! Thanks for answering questions!

Would you recommend sitting down with an admissions officer before I hear back from other schools? I was thinking that maybe I should wait until I hear back from schools like BC/BU/Brooklyn/Cornell. I've heard that scholarship money comes with the initial acceptance which I received 3 weeks ago, so I'm assuming that I'm not getting money.

I'm in with full tuition at Cardozo, but I'd really like to be at Fordham. If i comes down to Fordham sticker vs. Cardozo free...I can't do the 200k debt.

My thought would be that, much like applications and spots available, the earlier you talk to them about it, the more money they will have left. You don't have to commit to going right then and there, but letting them know that you are interested, but need some $$$ and have these other tempting offers might get you something. They're not gonna revoke your acceptance.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:10 pm

Keep the questions coming!!

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:17 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:Keep the questions coming!!

Be careful what you ask for.

1. For reasons beyond my control, I do not drink anymore. Will I be completely friendless?
2. I am thinking of commuting from NJ, is that common/doable?
3. How big are classes/sections?
4. Did H.E. Pennysomething give a tour of Fordham in December?
5. How much more would you pay (if anything) for Cornell/Georgetown?
6. Is it possible to go FT->PT if a job comes up? If yes, how far in the curriculum is that allowed?
7. How does Fordham take advantage of being located in the center of the world (as in do they manage to leverage discounts at local attractions)?
8. Do Fordham students compete with NYU and Columbia grads for 1L internships or are they more DC/PI oriented?
9. How "deep" do recruiters go?

Feel free to answer none, all, or some.

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:27 pm

SemperLegal wrote:

1. For reasons beyond my control, I do not drink anymore. Will I be completely friendless? No. I barely went out this past semester and I'm arguably the most popular person here.
2. I am thinking of commuting from NJ, is that common/doable? Yes, a guy in my study group does this.
3. How big are classes/sections? Both the evening sections are 40 people each, we had one combined class (80 total) and one section class (40)
4. Did H.E. Pennysomething give a tour of Fordham in December? No, but for those who come to town for an ASD, I'm happy to stop by and introduce myself.
5. How much more would you pay (if anything) for Cornell/Georgetown? No Ithaca winters for me.
6. Is it possible to go FT->PT if a job comes up? If yes, how far in the curriculum is that allowed? Not sure how far in, but I'm sure it's possible. Don't see why it wouldn't be.
7. How does Fordham take advantage of being located in the center of the world (as in do they manage to leverage discounts at local attractions)? I've heard rumblings of a 10% discount at Starbucks, but I've yet to confirm.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:30 pm

My friend goes to SUNY downstate and they have theme nights every so often, in which they get free food and get to dress up for some parties. It's like part bonding/part free food.

Is there something like this at fordham?

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:32 pm

This is GREAT! I'll do my best....

SemperLegal wrote:

1. For reasons beyond my control, I do not drink anymore. Will I be completely friendless?
No, you won't be. You won't have the same social life as some of the kids, but you'll have lots of friends.
Yes, definitely. I know several people in the evening division who do this. The down side is that they often don't get to hang out with people after class (especially if they have to get up for work, the next morning) - but it's totally doable.
There are 80 people in the evening division. Last semester, one of our classes was a joint class (all of us), one was broken in half, and one was split into quarters (writing) - or was it fifths?
LOLOL! NO!!! That was not our beloved HEP but another fantastic member of the Evening Division. I will not divulge his name but I suspect he is reading this.... we have lots of tall, dark, good-looking guys in the Evening Division. 8)
N/A did not apply
6. Is it possible to go FT->PT if a job comes up? If yes, how far in the curriculum is that allowed?
Fascinating question - I've never thought about this. I have no idea.
7. How does Fordham take advantage of being located in the center of the world (as in do they manage to leverage discounts at local attractions)?
We have lots of discounts at Lincoln Center and area stores; sadly, I haven't taken advantage of many of them.
8. Do Fordham students compete with NYU and Columbia grads for 1L internships or are they more DC/PI oriented?
Hm. This is a tough one. Yes, we compete against one another. MANY of my friends (and I) are PI oriented. I'm just a 1L so I'm not really sure how to answer this one.
Again, beyond my ken. Maybe one of the boys will know.

These were GREAT! Keep 'em coming!

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:33 pm

HEP - you forgot to mention that we'd accompany visiting admits to the bookstore to buy their first Hoodies.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:37 pm

nygrrrl wrote:HEP - you forgot to mention that we'd accompany visiting admits to the bookstore to buy their first Hoodies.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Naturally.

And Gemini, I know there was a costume contest for halloween and 2-3 times per semester an alum sponsors a kegs in the caf thing. There's also bar review every week, and they did a harbor cruise in October (i think?). Early on in the semester, every group and club holds a bunch of "join us" meetings, and they almost always have free food. I don't think I paid for dinner for the first month of school.

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:09 pm

1. Since TLS loves hyperbole its hard to determine what the true CoL in NY is. Being a Jersey boy, and having crashed for a few strange weeks at Columbia, I found that although NY was very expensive to enjoy, it was not unbelievably expensive to live in assuming sacrifices are made (e.g. not eating out, doing my shopping either in NJ or at a grocery store etc. rather than at a bodega or Columbus circle, buying cheap tobacco, living in the outer boroughs, etc). Am I in for a rude awakening? What expenses were the most shocking?

2. Would you have gone to a lower-tier school for less debt?

3. Fordham=Jesuit, SemperLegal=Jew. Not a problem, right? Pretty sure thats a given since exactly all law professors are Jewish.

4. Whats the best way to exploit the proximity to biglaw/NGOs? Someone told me that paying for a student membership in the bar association for Fed/NJ/NY and attending events was a good way to meet attorneys. I am skeptical. Thoughts?

5. Does the cafeteria food blow?

6. I am glad to hear that Fordham has a lot of tall, handsome men, but it begs the question are there a lot of beautiful, smart women?

7. What schools did you choose FU over and why? Would you do it again?

8. Can I call it FU?

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:12 pm

Whoo hoo on the tall, handsome men.

And Semper I can answer a couple for you:

1. Expensive living, for sure. Rent will most likely be the money sucker. And not going out is all nice and stuff, but as a 1L, do you honestly think you'll have time to cook home cooked meals all the time? Money gets sucked away for a million little things.

Also, healthier food = more expensive food.

3. It's not a problem.

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:20 pm

SemperLegal wrote:1. Since TLS loves hyperbole its hard to determine what the true CoL in NY is. Being a Jersey boy, and having crashed for a few strange weeks at Columbia, I found that although NY was very expensive to enjoy, it was not unbelievably expensive to live in assuming sacrifices are made (e.g. not eating out, doing my shopping either in NJ or at a grocery store etc. rather than at a bodega or Columbus circle, buying cheap tobacco, living in the outer boroughs, etc). Am I in for a rude awakening? What expenses were the most shocking?

Definitely rent, though I knew that coming in. I've managed to significantly cut down on my starbucks intake, and I spend about $50 every 2-3 weeks at Trader Joes on 72nd. There's also a Costco on the east side which I've used to load up on ramen. I also raid my parents house whenever I'm home.

No, I had scholarships to lower ranked schools but the earnings potential was not as good as at Fordham.

3. Fordham=Jesuit, SemperLegal=Jew. Not a problem, right? Pretty sure thats a given since exactly all law professors are Jewish.

Def not a problem.

4. Whats the best way to exploit the proximity to biglaw/NGOs? Someone told me that paying for a student membership in the bar association for Fed/NJ/NY and attending events was a good way to meet attorneys. I am skeptical. Thoughts?

Can't say.

Never eaten there. See my above post for ways to eat cheaply at school.

6. I am glad to hear that Fordham has a lot of tall, handsome men, but it begs the question are there a lot of beautiful, smart women?

Yes sir. But based on my personal experience, at least one of them is crazy.

Brooklyn, GMU, American, etc. Yes, I'm very pleased with my decision.

8. Can I call it FU?

No. EDIT: Maybe

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:22 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote: do you honestly think you'll have time to cook home-cooked meals all the time?

Yes. Cooking is quick and easy. Cooking healthy food takes longer. Cooking food that tastes good takes only a few seconds if you have a strange fondness for Tabasco on everything.

I guess next cycle's 0Ls can judge how much free time 1Ls have by how fat and sweaty I get.

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:23 pm

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:

There's an alternative?!?!

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:25 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
H. E. Pennypacker wrote:

There's an alternative?!?!

Obviously regular crazy is implied. This exceeded expectations. Allow this to be a warning to all of you: dating a fellow law student may be hazardous to your health.

Also I dropped about 15lbs based on my law school eating habits. Sometimes it's just not worth the risk of losing your seat on stack 6.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:08 pm

I didn't read the other answers to this questions**

SemperLegal wrote:

Meh, a lot of events for 1Ls do take place at bars or at least have some alcohol served at them. You don't have to drink. Just order club soda or something. Even if an event is at a bar do GO. Its a good way to meet your classmates. Most everyone is pretty interesting and even if you're at a bar no one really gets black out drunk
Well, that is a good way to keep overhead low. Be prepared, as a 1L (I am assuming full time) you will most likely have 3 classes a week that begin at 9 am. I do not know where in NJ you will be commuting from but I do know a number of people who tried commuting from the outer boroughs/NJ and grew to hate the commute.
1st semester I had 1 small section of 40 kids (property and 2 classes with 80 kids (crim/ks) . legal writing is a year long and I only have 16 kids in my class.

No clue. I would be happy to show you around if you wanted to come sit in on some classes.

Please elaborate? Fordham probably costs just as much as Cornell and Georgetown minus any scholarships (Fordham is stingy so don't expect an enormous WUSTL type of scholly)[/b]

I dont think you can switch programs once your 1st year starts. I am sure they'd be willing to let you go to part time your second year although I don't know why you would want to

Lets see, Gin Mill gives fordham law kids half off the bar on thrusday nights (although you don't drink!). I donno, the deli across the street gives a ten percent discount to all students. Lanskys, the jewish deli on 70th and colmbus gives 10 % fordham law students. Altho I didn't get it last time for some reason :evil:

Can't speak for the jobs nyu and columbia 1ls go for. I am sure there are some prestigious internships most Fordham kids would be shut out from except for those with unbelievable credentials (there are lots here that do have em!) or grades

Donno. I could make a dirty joke

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:15 pm

SemperLegal wrote:1. Since TLS loves hyperbole its hard to determine what the true CoL in NY is. Being a Jersey boy, and having crashed for a few strange weeks at Columbia, I found that although NY was very expensive to enjoy, it was not unbelievably expensive to live in assuming sacrifices are made (e.g. not eating out, doing my shopping either in NJ or at a grocery store etc. rather than at a bodega or Columbus circle, buying cheap tobacco, living in the outer boroughs, etc). Am I in for a rude awakening? What expenses were the most shocking?

Don't buy tobacco. You'll be amazed how much money you save and how much more healthy you'll feel.

Define how much lower and how much cheaper-- answer is probably no

My lord, there are a ton of jewish people at fordham. I think the school keeps alive all those delis that sell kosher pizza

Networking works to a certain extent. Get involved in something you're interested in. Most attorneys can see right through people who go to those events just looking to get an in or so it can solely benefit them

Yes. Altho wichcraft is right across the streeet and it became one of my all time favorite cafes

There are a lot of attractive sane women (some might even be single gasp) in our class. I am sure this is subject to change from year to year but it seems like c/o 2013 is pretty damned fine

I got waitlisted at an ass ton of schools and was admitted to a school not as good as fordham. So by default yes I would pick fordham again. I think I would take fordham over everything but t-14 for obvious reasons.

8. Can I call it FU?

Sure.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:22 pm

I agree with everything H.E.P. said but with the following edits:

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:3. Fordham=Jesuit, SemperLegal=Jew. Not a problem, right? Pretty sure thats a given since exactly all law professors are Jewish.

Def not a problem. Oh HELL no. Not a problem. The school makes sure to tape lectures on holy days and there are always kosher options at any dining function, etc.

(ftr, H.E.P. is NOT referring to me. I may, in fact, be crazy but I am NOT the crazy to whom he is referring. Thank you.)

8. Can I call it FU?

No. EDIT: Maybe Probably not twice.

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:30 pm

nygrrrl wrote:

(ftr, H.E.P. is NOT referring to me. I may, in fact, be crazy but I am NOT the crazy to whom he is referring. Thank you.)

I approve this message.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:37 pm

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:

I approve this message.

I saw you type that (I'm on the fire escape. Don't turn around.)

klj1

Postby klj1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:23 pm

1. Since TLS loves hyperbole its hard to determine what the true CoL in NY is. Being a Jersey boy, and having crashed for a few strange weeks at Columbia, I found that although NY was very expensive to enjoy, it was not unbelievably expensive to live in assuming sacrifices are made (e.g. not eating out, doing my shopping either in NJ or at a grocery store etc. rather than at a bodega or Columbus circle, buying cheap tobacco, living in the outer boroughs, etc). Am I in for a rude awakening? What expenses were the most shocking?

Rent is definitely my biggest expense, but that was completely expected. I also live alone & within 20 or so blocks of school so that cost can be mitigated, but it was something I was willing to shell out for in my budget, at least for 1L. & relatively speaking to most of Manhattan, I pay a very reasonable amount considering that my apartment is actually a decent size & has great amenities. Groceries were a big shock to me - I expected it to some degree but was still really surprised by my grocery bills the first few weeks. But once you ask around where people like to shop & start checking out the stores in the area, you realize which ones are insanely overpriced ripoffs (i.e. Gristedes, D'agostino). Honestly I found that shopping at Whole Foods was cheaper than many of the other local supermarkets (as long as you stuck to their own generic brand & items at similar price points). Then the Trader Joes opened & saved my life/grocery budget - plus I started buying produce from the street vendors which is insanely cheap & has actually been better quality than things I've periodically picked up at places like Fairway. A lot of people also love FreshDirect online shopping, & the prices seem very reasonable. I'll probably give it a try this semester.

No - I'm actually one of the few people going to Fordham on a very large scholarship, & chose it over higher-ranked schools.

Honestly I think there are way more Jews, particularly Orthodox, at Fordham than I even saw around Cardozo. It's a total non-issue.

I haven't done so, but I've heard this advised as well. If you happen to come from a large undergrad, joining the local alumni chapter & attending their events is a good way to make connections with local attorneys. 2nd semester is also supposedly when many of the large firms hold receptions + meet-and-greets for 1Ls. Many of the student groups around campus also set up similar things - I have 2 friends involved in Fordham Law Women who mentioned that 3 biglaw firms are planning to hold receptions with them in the spring.

It's generally not terrible. The selection could use improvement - the undergrad cafeteria on the other side of the building has a salad bar, a little deli sandwich stand, & a much larger menu overall.

I think overall people are pretty good-looking. I'd probably say attractive women outnumber the attractive men.

Some people think I'm crazy, but I actually chose Fordham over T-14's. Much of it came down to a geographic preference, & not being comfortable committing to the regional biases of the other schools. Regardless, I would not have passed up a T14 for Fordham without the incredibly generous scholarship offer that I ultimately got - I had money from the other 2 schools as well, but I still would've landed in six-figure debt had I attended. I can't really say it was the right decision til I have a better picture of my job prospects, but so far I've been incredibly happy with my decision & love the school & NY.

quidestveritas

Postby quidestveritas » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:30 pm

Do you have time to go out with the promoters or will that throw your sleep patterns off too much?

lawfreak

Postby lawfreak » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:47 pm

Can I get into Fordham p/t with a 158/3.95 (lsdas)? According to law school predictor I should "strongly consider", but from what I'm reading here it seems like I should strongly NOT consider?

quidestveritas

Postby quidestveritas » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:50 pm

lawfreak wrote:Can I get into Fordham p/t with a 158/3.95 (lsdas)? According to law school predictor I should "strongly consider", but from what I'm reading here it seems like I should strongly NOT consider?

2 tears in a bucket mother 'it

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:58 pm

lawfreak wrote:Can I get into Fordham p/t with a 158/3.95 (lsdas)? According to law school predictor I should "strongly consider", but from what I'm reading here it seems like I should strongly NOT consider?

Ouch. I really hate to say this, but with that LSAT I think you would need a tremendously compelling story. And even then, I'm not sure it would be enough.
Retake?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”